Anonymous
Years ago

Bill Woods is back commentating tonight's NBL game!

Commentating tonight's game on ONE.

A true gentleman and professional.

Welcome back Bill, hopefully it becomes a regular gig

Topic #33841 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great News!

Reply #460056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Comment about it on the NBL's Facebook page.

We want to see him commentate more games.

Let the NBL know

Reply #460059 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Who did he replace?

Reply #460063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares, he is back! Great news!

Reply #460066 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

What about Casey and Woods togther and throw in Gaze for special comments.

Reply #460068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casey is contracted to Ch 7 doing SANFL games this year (as per the thread I started about the news yesterday).

In regards to Billy Woods this is interesting because just recently he was hosting a really lame sport show on Ch 7 called 'Sportsfan Clubhouse' so must've left Ch 7.

Reply #460079 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Great news. Hopefully it works out well and is not just a one off, because the broadcast of the NBL is one of weak points in its rebuilding period. Reading the article, it sounds like Woods still has a lot of respect and love for the game so thats great to see from a fairly high profile commentator.

Carfino should improve also if he's moved to the role of special comments.

Maybe there has been a bit going on behind the scenes with the NBL and Ten to try and salvage a relationship?

Reply #460082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be great to get Cometti back on too! I grew up in Perth with him commentating wildcats matches back in the day.

Reply #460083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was a big fan of Peter Ensell for Wildcats games.

Anyone know where he is now?

Reply #460084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some short term good news.

I would like to see the nbl continue to bring through some of the crews that are performing well on nbl.tv

The Cairns crew are great.

Wollongong play by play guy is awesome.

Reply #460087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also not sure if Carfino is on social media hearing some of the hate being thrown in his direction although he seems to have improved his game over the last month or so.

Reply #460089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Wollongong play by play guy is boring as hell. Cairns crew are terrible, as are the Townsville crew. The only decent caller on TV right now IMO is Tab Baldwin.

Interesting to see what this means for Brad Rosen.

Reply #460099 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Will they be bringing back the competition to win a Nintendo 64 at half time as well??

Or am I the only one that racked up $100 phone bills in the 90's during Sunday afternoon basketball?

Reply #460100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha it was Super Nintendo wasn't it?

Reply #460109 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I remember calling the 1900 numbers for the NBA box scores/news updates in the 90s.

My mother questioned me who I was calling, when she found out it was to find out basketball scores she was relieved, my father however was a little disappointed.

Reply #460112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah fantastic...does he have any clue about NBL 2013/2014 or are we just rolling out another relic because we can......FFS

Reply #460115 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

We've shared some tweets with Bill Woods over the past 12 months and I've seen him comment on some NBL topics on his show on TV. He seems as though he knows what's going on.

But I've been fooled before.

Reply #460116 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

article here

http://www.nbl.com.au/article/id/1ngo5htvoqamm1sw448wg3nsuc

Reply #460118 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

haha it was a super Nintendo! man oh man.... i'm feeling old now....

Will be interesting to see how Bill goes - he doesn't have the magnificent head of hair that Mike Ellis has, but few do.

Reply #460120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cautiously optimistic about this - I guess we'll find out soon enough if he's kept up to date with the league.

Reply #460124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bill W was very passionate about the NBL back in the ol days as well as the Chan 10 Canadian producer Mike cant remember. A good combo with Carf. Who knows where the TV coverage will be next season if there is indeed one.

Reply #460129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL will be on Ten again next season as the 5 year deal expires at the end of the 2014/15 season.

Reply #460133 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Great news enjoyed his commentary in the 90s

Reply #460134 | Report this post

Dale  
Years ago

Mike Templeton was the guy Anon. Bill did a good job tonight. A bit rusty but give him some time.

Reply #460161 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

In the first half at least (it's only half time atm), Woods blurred the line a little between special comments and play by play. A tad rusty, but I don't mind him on the call.

Reply #460162 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

My god, that was horrendous.

Just... awful.

Reply #460164 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Called them Illawarra for 20 minutes.

Reply #460165 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Definitely rusty. But could be worse. Understands the fundamentals and better than Carfino as the play by play.

Reply #460170 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Hahaha 'CHARGE!' No, no. Wollongong ball.

Reply #460172 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Plenty of mistakes were made, but his comments flowed well unlike many of the regulars. Bill also made Steve come across better, IMO.

Reply #460178 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Woods was rather refreshing to listen to tonight. So what if he was calling Rhys Carter "Rhys Martin" or calling the Hawks Illawarra for the first half or so. Those he can be forgiven for, he's been away for a while. And besides, I liked hearing them referred to by their original name.

While it was good to see him back tonight, I'm glad the Kings weren't playing. That was the only thing about his commentary in the 1990's that I couldn't stomach, his love for the Sydney Kings. This often came out when he did commentary on their games (IMO), and when he was in charge most of the stories they did on the NBL for Sportsworld seemed to centre on the Kings. IIRC the Kings were also on TV most weeks as well.....

Ah well, good to have the old bugger back. He distracted me at least, I only heard Carfino call a "Euro Step" once tonight.

BTW, I think Woods is still the host of Sports Fan Clubhouse that shows on 7mate. Seems to be the in thing these days appearing on a rival channel. After all, this week they had Steve Carfino on the show talking about the NBL.

Reply #460179 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Playmaker, in my opinion, it was more the role of special comments that portrayed Carfino as better, not so much Bill. Carfino has always been a good colour to listen to.

Reply #460181 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Love ya work Billy (hopefully Sportsfan Clubhouse is still on considering its made by Telstra not 7) and his work made tonight's game epic. Carfino was so much better being asked questions and not asking them himself.

Rosen was great in his limited role.

All hail Bill Woods for making our great game even more fun to watch

Reply #460188 | Report this post

James C  
Years ago

Bill Woods was great. A true quality caller who actually knows the players and calls with excitement and passion as well as actually making Carfino sound better. It was a great game! Good on the NBL and ch10.

Reply #460202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to Brad still involved as well.

Reply #460203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to agree... he was awesome

Reply #460219 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

if NBL.tv was more reliable they could get Bruce to commentate every game.

Except the ones being played at the same time of course, though Bill could probably do that too.

Reply #460293 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thought the commentary last night was great. Woods made a bucket of mistakes but it was almost endearing as he shook the rust off. Carfino seemed a lot better as a result (rather than by comparison) and Rosen was good on the sidelines.

I was quite impressed how quickly Woods (for the most part) called the players involved and he had a reasonable awareness of past and upcoming details and context which is helpful.

Reply #460299 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Probably makes us realise how important a job commentators do to make it a spectacle.Loved having Bill Woods back.

Reply #460306 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I found him horrendously annoying to begin with, but either he got better or I got used to him as the game went on.

Equally possible is that towards the end, the game finally became as exciting as he seemed to think it was. People bag Carfino for never getting excited, but getting excited about "ERVIN HAS THE BALL AND IS BRINGING IT UP THE COURT, IT'S ALL TIED AT TWO POINTS APIECE!" isn't exactly better.

Reply #460314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sitting here thinking he should have returned during Heritage Round not a week later. Would of been a nice touch.

Reply #461000 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Yeah, so what's the deal with Bill Woods then? Was there a reason for this one off game? Im sure there's something there and I don't think he was just a "fill-in" as Rosen was also there doing court side. Plus it wasn't Heritage Round either, so there was no real nostalgic reason to have him back for just one game.

Will he be coming back again later on to do more games? If so, no idea why he wouldn't have done the Sydney Perth game as location was not an issue and the same commentators were used for that game (except the court side guy who I cant remember his name).

Reply #461006 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:23 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754