Anonymous
Years ago

How can Thon Maker play for U17 Aussie team?

According to Ausbball, Lemanis will meet with Maker about playing for the Under 17 Australian team in August.

How can this be though? Doesn't Under 17 mean that you have to be 16 years old or younger to be eligible to play?

Maker is already 17 (turned 17 in February)

Topic #33854 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

No. Its generally under 17 as at last years FIBA qualifying series.

Same thing goes for under 19.

Age is determined when Ocenia qualifying occurs - which is always in the preceding year.

You will find a lot of people will be 17 at the WC in August.

Reply #460270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bugger. I was hoping this Junior tournament would allow Isaac Humphries to dominate and get World recognition for his age group. I guess with Maker in there, it will give Humphries very little court time :(

Reply #460275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was born in 1997 which makes him 17

Reply #460280 | Report this post

Ariel 90  
Years ago

According to what documentation

Reply #460283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you serious? Lemanis is going to meet with him to try and convince him to play for the Under 17's in August.

Read here: http://zagsblog.com/articles/thon-maker-top-prospect-in-2016-to-meet-with-australian-national-team-coach/

You need to get your facts right.

He is 17 years old. What makes you think otherwise?

Reply #460287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/thon-maker

Reply #460289 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Under 17s is misleading they should call it under 18s because all players born in 1997 are eligible. Forgetting the countless Maker threads for a moment it would be a handy frontline of Maker, Humphries and Froling amongst others, add Jock Perry and we have some serious potential.

Reply #460290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Maker better than Humphries at this point in time?

Reply #460292 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Is Maker better than Humphries? Lol!

Reply #460339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I honestly don't think Maker is better than Humphries. Hype on Maker is ridiculous.. Humphries would dominate him on the low block, not even an argument

Reply #460353 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

C'mon now, Humphries is legit but his strength is his length advantage in the block against everyone his own age, he doesn't have that adventage vs Thon.

Going the other way, Thon Maker is a 7 foot point forward! There's a reason espn has him a clear #1.

Reply #460360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker would be 190lbs max! Going up against someone who's a good 30-40lbs heavier, he doesn't stand a chance.

And I read somewhere that maker shoots below 40%, for a 7 footer that's pretty terrible. I'd still go with Humphries, more skilled imo

But really can't compare Maker and Humphries.. same position but different games. Both would be useful on the U17 team. They'd actually compliment each other really well on the U17 team. An inside-out game with those 2 would be unstoppable at Worlds

Reply #460363 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

If Maker is better then Humphries it isn't by that much.

Reply #460378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries more skilled than Maker? lol
Thon Maker is what he is because of his ridiculous skill set at his height and length.

Reply #460380 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Thon Maker with the ability to play all three frontcourt positions. Imagine a twin towers pairing of Maker and Humphries not a bad thought.

Reply #460381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

still both so young and room to keep growing:

17y.o 2/25/97 Thon maker 7'1", 205 pounds, 7'2" wingspan.

16y.o 1/5/98 Issac Humphries 7', 230+ pounds?, 7'+ wingspan?.

2 highly skilled, possibly 7'1"+ big men.

future front court looking good...

Reply #460424 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am glad to read this.... very smart move. Get Thon in the national program... NOW... they don't call him 2016's best prospect for no reason.

Reply #460481 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am glad to read his handler is supportive of it.... this is very good... Australia could become a VERY scary team in 16-20

Reply #460482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To think that the U17 team could start Maker (Power Forward) and Humphries (Centre) and have back ups in Froling and Perry as well as interchange these players you would have to be high on there chance for Gold.
that's not counting any of;
Vasiljevic
Akintola
Wilson
William McDowell-White
Clark
Noi

Reply #460492 | Report this post

Ceres 43  
Years ago

Agree, that line up is scary...

Reply #460494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perry and Froling, in my opinion, are sorely over rated. Nevertheless that is a good lineup

Reply #460506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Willie McDowelll-White and his brother Daryl are not going to play any longer, as per another thread the news coming from QLD, apparently.

Reply #460622 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

If he plays does that lock him in to Australia for the Senior national team?

Ie he would have to play for Australia at the WC and Olympics, unless we release him.

Reply #460642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still too much speculation and hype, all of them are young and not yet tested. Wait until under 17 worlds to see how they go there and then when they complete school, at least.

Reply #460643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Amen

Reply #460646 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Getting back to the original post and Ariel 90 kind of touched on it, I think it raises a fair question whether birth dates of kids from some backgrounds can be reliably known. I've seen how islander kids smash the local boys in rugby in age groups up to U16 and even beyond and it does cause a lot of kids to drop out and parents to question legitimacy of islander kids that shave and come to game with P plates on ! Having said that these Maker kids are no doubt the real and will succeed regardless. I assume Cher Maker still at school (Scots) is his older brother ? Seen him play a few times, would have picked him for 19-20??

Reply #460688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Mick, the OP doesn't appear to have brought up the race issue, you and some others may have done so, perhaps we all need to look beyond the colour of a player's skin mate?

Op was asking about the under 17 classification, as stated in preceeding posts it is more like 17 and under than under 17 for the worlds.

Best we forget the issue of how mature some kids look and accept that if they are there and can play, eventually the age thing and maturity will even itself out.

Reply #460699 | Report this post

Ceres 43  
Years ago

Yeah, FIBA rules are U17 means 17 and under, which is different to our local rules.

Reply #460704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What did the white Australian parent say to the other white Australian parent?

"Hey this black kid is really good, he must be a lot older then my kid."

Reply #460759 | Report this post

Proud Dad  
Years ago

Good call...

Reply #460804 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I would love to see Maker in an Australian uniform.

Reply #460812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The argument with Thon Maker's age is identical to the Islander argument in Junior Rugby League...

Reply #460887 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Would also like to see him play for Australia. Could form a formidable frontcourt with Simmons, Bairstow, Humphries etc

Reply #460889 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Except islanders generally have birth certificates and hit puberty early, they don't come to Australia, sit a test and get a DOB given to them.

Reply #460890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

of course when you have 2 years to register your birth it is easy to manipulate

Reply #460891 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Are we going to see alot of dumb comments in regards to his age, wouldn't blame him if he didn't want to play for aust.

Reply #460895 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Is Lemanis coaching all Aus teams?

Reply #460898 | Report this post

Ariel 90  
Years ago

I'm not saying this this kid/adult should get respect for his game, he can flat out play. And i would place in the same category as Simmons and Exum. Its just when a kid who was supposedly 16 at the time can drive on a full licence and take half of the NSW metro kids to games at the Australian Junior Championships it has to raise suspicions in most peoples minds?.

Reply #461972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Are you seriously saying that you have observed this or are you trolling?

Reply #461977 | Report this post

Ariel 90  
Years ago

With me out eyes

Reply #462544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Continued hate for the Sudanese Australian guys, and you call yourselves basketball fans? More like racial fans! Humphries is of Welsh origin and Maker of Sudanese origin, get over it. I would rather have both of these guys in the team moving forward. The Boomers are looking very strong for years to come.

Reply #462758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No doubting Thon Maker's age. If he didn't have a birth certificate he would have been given a date of birth of 1st Jan or 1st of July depending what part of the year they were born. When accessed as a refugee he can't be given any other date of birth unless he had a birth certificate. Case closed!

Reply #462759 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Maker is good and representing Australia, why would anyone get too upset about age advantages that suit us?

Reply #462763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can I RT Isaac's post in a forum.

Have you guys seen this boy? He looks really young to me. Complete baby face.

Reply #462773 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:02 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754