What a game! Thoughts?

Topic #33860 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game of the season for the crocs !

Reply #460376 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Throws my multi bet out the window but well done crocs!.
A massive battle for third place and a threeway fight for the spoon.

Reply #460379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How Townsville won that is beyond me but congrats!
The more i watch the more I think they are poorly coached.

Reply #460390 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The Crocs are poorly coached? How so?

Reply #460393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey cannot coach. Especially down the stretch. And he has the nerve to blame his players 'we are not a good basketball team'. They sure are on paper. LMAO.

Reply #460394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They aren't that flash on paper - two middle of the road imports and only two top line Aussies.

Reply #460395 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Yeah, they were only dominant when Goulding was dominant. Funny isn't it, volume scoring superstars. Is their contribution to the team relative to their individual production.

Such an interesting topic to discuss.

Reply #460398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great game by Steve Markovic (he had more than 6 assists). Was the difference between the two teams. Imagine he had those Tigers players around him instead? I'm sure we would've won by 20! Maybe a boomer for this years world champs... You read it here first...

Reply #460400 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

And on the Croc front, they're playing better without Pace.

I'd definitely invest in Blanchfield and Djeric than use the second import spot on Pace.

All import frontcourt next season for mine. I reckon the spry and young Blanchfield can play close to 40 minutes at the three (can move to the 4 to go small), which leaves room for Mark, Mitch, DJ to worry about the guard spots. I don't know what future Crawford has in Dennis' calculations. Minutes dramatically down this season. Maybe a cheap young off-guard to fill the void. Maybe they get a major guy in at the starting 2 spot.

Imagine Markovic, Gliddon, Blanchfield, Conklin, Will Hudson/Diamon Simpson/Michael Dunigan.

Reserves: Norton, Djeric, Holmes, and such.

Reply #460401 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Hudson would br cheap (as Mick pointed out), he'd have improved since his time here, and he hustles for every second he's on the floor, and that's probably a little longer than a guy like Simpson.

Reply #460402 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Anstey is not a great coach. It's almost like he says "we want as many long contested twos as possible. Step backs and fade aways preferred..."

Melbourne too big and slow for townsville. If they had mitch norton it would have never even got close. No one can guard markovic, let alone norton who is even better at getting to the rim. Their defensive coverages always end with a switch and morrison guarding a point guard...then toast.

Two road wins for Townsville in Melbourne.

Reply #460404 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

As I've said all season, Townsville match up well with Melbourne. It's the three and ball movement that burns Townsville and Melbourne have neither.

Melbourne are just like Cairns in that once they start actually thinking about what they're doing in the halfcourt, the wheels fall off. It's clear as crystal the relationship between Melbourne running shot clock and offensive effectiveness. The more time they use, the worse they are. They, like Cairns should be a quick-hitting side that pushes transition. They both have athletes galore and not just that, they have the personnel whose strength is playing on instinct. It's blatantly obvious. I honestly think I myself could coach this Tiger team into the playoffs. The offense should take care of itself, but that's an area that's letting them down considerably.

Back on the Taipans, a big thing was made in the preseason about how Cairns has changed their MO, and lo and behold, it fucking worked in the preseason didn't it?

Those two coaches are by far the stupidest offensive coaches in the league. Yeah, Trigger is out, so what do uou do? Play small and get out and RUN! Oh you have Goulding, Farrakhan, Walker, Worthington and Greer on your team; what do you do? You get out and RUN!

Reply #460408 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

If you don't get breakaways and kick-aheads at first look, get secondary break/semi transition stuff like running splitline and trailers to either get a quick and deep post seal, or trail jumpers. It's an absolute luxury to have guys the size of Wortho, Waxy and Greer run the way they do. Gotta play smart and utilise that running. Don't have to play ridiculously fast and just 'use' those guys, but actually think of ways to 'utilise' them.

Reply #460409 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Quite the scalp for the Crocs to get.

Hawks would be kicking themselves for not getting at least one of those games against Melbourne.

Reply #460411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crawford is done at Crocs. His agent looking around. Could be a cheap pick up for Cairns replacing the departing Gliddon.

Reply #460417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Massive game for Crocs though. They've beaten Melb twice this year on Melb's court after coming from NZ.

Reply #460419 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Who said Gliddon is leaving?

Reply #460421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, well done Crocs!

Reply #460426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PC is now just a cranky old man. Time to hang up the boots champ.

Reply #460432 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I can't see PC getting another gig in NBL. He's had a great career, time to let it go. You too James Harvey and CJ Bruton.

Reply #460439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PC, 15 points last night, he should definitely retire.

Reply #460441 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Even tommy Greer can score points on any given night.

Reply #460442 | Report this post

Moo moo  
Years ago

Pretty sure gliddon signed for 3 years...

Reply #460443 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

I've heard the rumuor third hand also that PC won't be a croc next year and is shopping around. So proud of this crocs team and the system and culture Dennis has put in place, second game of a road double was a 15-20 point copitulation in recent years. But these guys seem to find a way to stay in games when momentum goes against them.

Conklin injured and misses last half, pace out, norton ankle doesn't play, vandy coming back from dislocated wrist wasn't meant to suit up, Kenny does his ankle in nz, hinder fouls out and they still get an OT win in Melbourne great stuff!

Reply #460446 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Some thoughts:

- If that's a hammy for Conklin he could be done for the season.

- Last night was both Scott Kenny and Mirko Djeric's best games as a pro, IMO, which is great to see.

- I love Markovic, but Norton is ready to start. It's a community club...you have to be very wise how you spend your dollars. They both need big minutes. Norton has become unguardable in the pick and roll by pretty much anyone in the league, and he uses his body so well at the basket a la Tony Parker that big guys either foul him or fail to block him, and he's automatic from the free throw line. Next season I'm running Mitch Norton high pick and rolls 15 times a game at least until somebody can stop him.

- I'd seriously be thinking of starting both of them next season and running even harder, like the bonkers Dragic/Bledsoe double PG backcourt in PHX.

- PC has been mistreated by the club off the court this year for a variety of reasons, according to a few whispers, so I doubt he stays.

- Dennis finally has Holmes playing within himself. At the start of the season he had 15 FGA in a couple of games, which is unacceptable, and is entirely on the coach. Last night he shot the ball twice, grabbed 6 HUGE rebounds, all at seemingly at critical moments, and played great defence. Which is exactly how his line should look every game. Great stuff.

- Hinder is obviously out. Pace has to go because he can't shoot IMO...massive spacing issues when he is on the floor. If you want to build a club on the cheap everyone has to be able to shoot on the wing and backcourt. You need an Aussie backup wing though, which is kinda hard to find. Is Steindl under contract next year?

Next year you could look like:

Norton
Markovic
Blanchfield
Conklin
Hudson

Steindl (or other off-contract Aussie wing...3 point shooting ability a must)
Djeric
Holmes
Dumovic
Kenny

Get that team playing the right way and no one could keep up with them. Look at that starting 5: it's a fast break waiting to happen.

I reckon you could fit that roster into about 700-800k of total salary easily too.

Young as hell, and you're not gonna win the title, but you're gonna blow a lot of teams out of the water.

Reply #460450 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Have to disagree with that Norton comment. If you're serious about winning, don't give him the keys until he consistently performs against all opposition, and with starting group.

No two ways about it, it's been his best season and he's developing rapidly. But I want Markovic as the head of the snake for the time being. Markovic runs the P & R better than Norton right now tbh.

Now if you're talking about running Mitch more at the two on offense, then that's cool. Should definitely try that. But you have to think about the other end of the floor as well.

What have been the goings on with PC?

Reply #460462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think norton markovic starting is a good idea as markovics outside shot allows him to play offball. Blanch field needs 30 min plus next season too

Reply #460469 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Tempo control also has to be factored in. Does Mitch have the presence of mind atm to control it when the going gets tough?

Reply #460471 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

^^And yeah, Markovic is probably the best standup shooter in the country. So yeah it can work that way too.

Reply #460472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rushed PC back from injury as well as contractual stuff.

Reply #460477 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Have been really impressed with Markovic, especially his ability to score.

As he didn't put up any sort of offensive numbers in Europe i assumed he was like a Henare type.

But man he has outplayed some quality PGs this season.

Youd have to give him a Boomers trial in search of that back up PG spot. Surely. He has a good chance of making the team IMO. React to that how you will but remember Gibbo has being the backup PG for a while and after what Ive seen this season they are pretty neck to neck.

Reply #460504 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

He's definitely craftier than Gibson.

Remember he was actually getting great minutes in Beijing.

Reply #460510 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'd give him the nod over Gibson because the Boomers need shooting more than anything else right now.

Reply #460523 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Wait, I would've sworn he was in Beijing, but Google says otherwise. He definitely wore the green and gold at least.

Reply #460524 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah at the last World Champs i think.

Back to the game: can someone clear this up for me since I'm not really good with FIBA rules ...

Lucas Walker hits that bank shot from 3 with at least 2 seconds left on the game clock, ie. the ball passes through the net with just over 2 seconds left on the clock.

Is it game-clock-keeper incompetence here that the clock kept running while Markovic inbounded the ball, or is the clock supposed to stop?

2 seconds is enough to get off a decent -- if somewhat hurried -- look for townsville in that situation.

Reply #460527 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

*on reviewing the footage, there was more like 1.7 seconds left, but the question remains...

Reply #460528 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

On reviewing the footage a 2nd time, i can see it was shot clock keeper incompetence.

The ball goes through at approx. 1.7-1.9 seconds. The clock doesn't stop until well after Markovic grabs the ball as it comes through the net (he grabs it at around 1.0 seconds).

He then steps behind the baseline with the ball in his hands and the clock stops at 0.5 seconds. Then starts again once the ball is in play.

You'd be spewing if you lost the game on something like that.

Reply #460529 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Gliddon in place of PC, no way! PC got those 15 in the 21 minutes he played. Compare that to Blanchfield's 19 in 40. You do the math. Definitely hasn't been used to full potential by Shawn Dennis all season. fatal mistake by Crocs, look where they are now. Wouldn't blame him for wanting to go somewhere else, definitely not done yet. Yeah whispers must be getting round, also heard he'd been mistreated by the club big time earlier in season when he was coming back from injury. Rough, given what he's done for them.

Reply #460709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PC is their highest paid player and has done nothing of note the last two years. I'd be happy to get rid of him or cut his pay in half and bring him off the bench.

Reply #460713 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"As he didn't put up any sort of offensive numbers in Europe i assumed he was like a Henare type."

I think he led the Adriatic League in assists, if he didnt he was very close.

Reply #460717 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"As I've said all season, Townsville match up well with Melbourne. It's the three and ball movement that burns Townsville and Melbourne have neither."

The Tigers beat them comfortably in Townsville twice, but the Crocs have done well in Melbourne. I suspect it had as much to do with the form both teams were in at the time of those four meetings as anything else.

Reply #460719 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

PC still has a couple of good years left but would have to take a pay cut and play off the bench probably for another team eg Hawks.

Reply #460721 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

Is it just me or is melbournes Hisense Areana the ugliest in the league?. I know Hisenses colour is that aqua but it looks terrible with yellow. They need to throw some yellow red and black around the joint, the gold coast blaze didn't even have that much aqua on there home court

Reply #460756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Great game by Steve Markovic (he had more than 6 assists)"

So sick of incompetent NBL score benches. SMH so sad the stats are riddled with errors.

Don't forget Crocs nearly did the road double. Markovic three against Breakers to sent it into OT that rimmed out was amazing. He had no room to really put up an effective shot yet it rimmed out!

Reply #460992 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Markovic misses out on at least 3 assists every game due to incompetent NBL scorebench staff.

You can say "oh they are semi-volunteers or get paid chook scratch" but f-ing up those numbers affects not only the integrity of the game, but skews this guy's leverage next time he goes to negotiate a paycheck.

You might think he's on half-decent money but the career only lasts for 10 or so years...they need every cent.

It's not rocket science. You get to sit front row for free. You get paid 30 bucks or whatever. Just count the goddamn dimes.

Reply #461059 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Mick, with no research into 'assist gate', I can tell you that the NBL (maybe it's an international thing?) doesn't count dimes like they do in the NBA. I watched Ty Lawson the other day penetrate the lane, kick it out to Wilson Chandler who catches it on the run, upfakes a three-point shot to get his defender off the ground, then drives to the hoop taking two dribbles and a change of direction, makes the layup and it's a Lawson assist.

Maybe it's a totally different rule in Fiba games. They don't post awfully large assist numbers in Europe do they? And obviously they have some damn crafty PGs over there.

It seems that in the NBL, you need to score almost instantaneously after the catch for the dimer to be credited. It has to be a spoon-feed every time to qualify for assist. Just an observation of mine.

Good point about the contract negotiation side of things.

Reply #461062 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Under FIBA, the intent of the player must be to shoot immediately after they catch the ball, and the shooter cannot make a move to go around the defense. Once you do anything other than pump-fake a closeout or take a rhythm dribble (but probably not both), it's not an assist.

Reply #461151 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Ah, that explains some things. Thanks

Reply #461159 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That said, if you pass someone the ball at halfcourt and they go all the way to the rim and lay it in without encountering any D on the way, it's still an assist (as the immediate intention was to get the layup and no move was made to avoid the D).

There's a link to the official statisticians' manual here: http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_CLnADd0fJ4MZ8xgmecgDF0.html

Reply #461162 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah I understand that but I've seen assists to dunks (with no dribble) go uncredited so many times this year. It's not just the fiba interpretation, there's also the element of stat keepers missing bunnies that keeps Markovic's numbers low.

Reply #461241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once you pass it to someone they have to score within one dribble for it to be an assist, two or more dribbles is not an assist.

Also if the shooter gets fouled (and had only taken one dribble after receiving the ball) and misses the shot as long as he makes at least one free throw it's counted as an assist to the guy that originally passed him the ball.

Reply #461251 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Once you pass it to someone they have to score within one dribble for it to be an assist, two or more dribbles is not an assist."
Not according to the official FIBA manual.

Reply #461253 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:17 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754