Anonymous
Years ago

Mark Wright - Deja Vu

Another season, Another attempt in buying a championship hasn't paid off.
Out coached, out played and clearly players aren't playing for him.
Great to see ex Ranger Steph Cummings top score, even a kid Wright wouldn't play last season started for Fire, Rosie Fadljevic.
Will the roster be swept like his coaching record two years in a row? DEJA VU.Which local kids will he loose this year Clydesdale?? 1mins court time yesterday (great guard rotations).Will Wright run Downie into the ground again and sacrifice developing a legit talent.

(Mod: Removed at the request of Lou Godfrey.)

Rumor has it they have even stuffed up both Men's Seabl imports Visa's too....Quality run outfit the Rangers. DEJA VU!

Topic #33868 | Report this topic

SamCro  
Years ago

Surely it's time some serious questions are asked of Mark Wright & his schizophrenic coaching style? It's interesting to watch when his team is struggling on court & how his poor body language falls apart on the sideline. When was the last young player that he developed? O'Hea & Kunek came from other programs & Tom Maher fast tracked their development. This model of constantly buying in top talent & hoping that they gel is a flawed model. You can't have such a high turnover of players from year to year & expect some stability & continuity to flow. Out in straight sets 2 years in a row! Some questions need to be asked now...

Reply #460641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a terrible coach... plain and simple. He's is erratic, up & down and all around on the sideline. His offensive and defensive systems are poor at best and good talent makes him look ok most of the time.

I did note some triangle offence actions yesterday... maybe this is because he believes he is the phil jackson of the league and can coach the big names.

Surely it is time for a change. We have so much talent in the WNBL however there are some really, really poor coaches who get extended opportunities... whether it be politically motivated, price motivated, etc. its time to change so the league can become as good as it could be.

The likes of molloy and chris show how good coaches get it done with less talented rosters... where as individuals like MW and a certain coach of the sydney flames and some kiwi they brought in for Buckle at the lightning (another great coach) fail year in, year out with talented and sometimes downright star-studed sides. Ridiculous.

Reply #460645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Downie was one of Dandy's best players yesterday. I wouldn't say she has been ran into the ground this season although she was in good form the last 2 games.

Interesting that the last 4 years no team has lost the semi final and won the next week to get back into the grand final (or out in straight sets).

O'Hea went to the AIS then to Dandy. She averaged almost 20 ppg in 2007 at Dandy, so its not like she was a scrub before she got to Bulleen.

I thought the game was great yesterday. Every player went all out and there were some great skills on display.

Judging by this forum the league has its evil villian in Mark Wright so perhaps he needs to stay around so forum posters have someone to hate on for the next few years.

Reply #460650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is truly amazing how we always managed to find a negative.
How about congratulations on a great season and making finals. O'Hea & Kunek - Australian talent, both superstars and excellent role models. Maybe even suggest that finding Mitchell was a stroke of genius.

Admittedly there was probably an expectation of going one step further and making the grand final. However 7 key players with good minutes (greater than 10 minutes) in a preliminary final does not exactly equal bad rotation.

As far as being out coached, that actually might be true. But, in my opinion, that would be equally true for 4 other coaches that failed to work out how to stop a shuffle offence that was being run by Townsville and Melbourne.

The fast transition to a post, into a simple pic and roll style of recent years has failed to deliver this time. Whereas the half court disciplined offensive structures certainly appeared to have been effective.

Not sure of its time for Mark to go, maybe when he fails to make finals

Reply #460652 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

What's to be positive about? They lost 5 games in row to end the season. His two imports got 5 shots put together. Time to move on.

Reply #460654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Wright - Deja Vu.
Mark is more likely thinking,,,, Deja-poo I've seen this shit before.

Reply #460655 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Need to get some fresh eyes to come in and look at the program. Definately got the cattle but there record doesnt reflect that.

Reply #460662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Post removed at the request of Lou Godfrey.)

Reply #460663 | Report this post

jumper  
Years ago

who would be in line to replace wright next year?

Reply #460664 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Firstly I not a fan of Joey. I don't think he has ever overachieved considering the strength of the lineups he has had.

BUT starting an inferior player while leaving the bench rotation intact is nothing new. Look at what Pop does at the Spurs. His main two sparks off the bench Manu and Mills rarely get a starting gig. Lessor seldom used players are promoted to start.

FWIW Creek has also failed to live up to his hype so far. I also think he made a huge career mistake knocking back an opportunity to play for the Hawks.

Reply #460665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same olds would apply. Larissa Anderson is desperate for the Job, maybe the CEO will appoint himself. He thinks he knows everything.
Peter Buckle hasn't got any friends, that would be a good fit for Rangers (Not).
Before they replace the coach they should replace the Management. Get some people who know how to run a business and actually know a bit about basketball. That could be a start.

Reply #460666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheryl Chambers would be laughing right about NOW.

Reply #460668 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Why not too after the Townsville coach himself..if you can't beat em....

Reply #460669 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

*go

Reply #460670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Michael, I think you'll find that Chris Lucas is keen for return to the Adelaide Lightning (where he runs a family business in Adelaide) & that will take place as soon as the Marino's pull out, which will be in the 1 - 2 years.

Reply #460671 | Report this post

Red36  
Years ago

'Mitchell was a good find', yes she was, but at what expense?

the Rangers have finished 3rd our of 8 again, with the likes of O'Hea, Kunek, 2 imports, Ardossi and Downie on the bench, am thinking that Clydesdale could've achieved the same result as Mitchell, maybe with less panache initially, but given the chance to develop at that level, who knows in the following years what her style would grow to be?

as has been pointed out, these younger players deserve an opportunity to play, if they prove to be no good, fine, but we need to know, especially in the pg position, Kristi will be 50 and still starting for the Opals, because we will not have developed anyone to challenge her for the spot.

Reply #460675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are there any assistant coaches in the league right now who could step and take on a Head coach gig?

Reply #460676 | Report this post

Red36  
Years ago

obviously Cheryl Chambers has proven herself at the wnbl level, her not being reappointed at Bulleen had nothing to do with her as a coach, it was simply that Tom Maher was available

Reply #460677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous Downie has stayed because she is a loyal Dandenongs person who is willing to put up with an average at best coach and play for basically nothing and the others left for greater opportunities, to get away from mark so they could develope and MORE CASH. Apart from Mark the biggest problem here is the amount of money they pay certain players.
Now I don't know exact figures but for what they pay Jenna they could have kept Cummings, blicavs and Miljovic and Cunningham ..... I know what I would prefer... Any sence prevails down there and Larissa Anderson will be coaching next year

Reply #460679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think MTV are going to film the latest series of Jackass at Rangerdome. Every episode they seem to stuff something up. Maybe Mark Wright could host the show.
You have to be embarrassed, I watched the game on TV and laughed when I saw Gerry Ryan from Jayco in the corporate box. At least he got to see "live" the comedy show he's funding.
Maybe it's a business plan of his and he's tired of walking with dinosaurs or maybe Mark Wright thinks playing Dinosaurs like Downie helps his cause to keep his job.
Give Mark Wright a caravan for everyone's sake and go on a very looooongggg holiday and take the CEO with you. Best investment Jayco could ever make.

Reply #460684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perfect timing - CEO/Coach apply within. Much more suitable role.
You can even keep "Sweeping" the court.

http://www.dandenongbasketball.com.au/index.php?id=14&tx_ttnews%5Byear%5D=2014&tx_ttnews%5Bmonth%5D=02&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=911&cHash=5f7f6d663489e686801a3ab27c925d14

Reply #460693 | Report this post

jumper  
Years ago

didnt Larissa Anderson coach rangers SEABL womem to 3 GF wins on the trot?

Reply #460705 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

I'm not sure how Downie got pulled down here with the Mark Wright Coaching Train Wreck? Downie IMO 'plays the right way' & has shown outstanding loyalty to the Rangers over a long period of time. In yesterday's game I've never seen her shoot the ball so well? Tenacious defender & always compete's on every play. Perhaps a few of team mates should adopt a few of Downie's traits? I thought Fadjevic was extremely lucky to not be hit with an upsportsmanlike call with her blatant swinging elbow in to Downie's mid-section!

Reply #460753 | Report this post

casual observer  
Years ago

Larissa Andaersons name has been mentioned a couple of times in the above discussion.As a casual observer couldn't believe she wasn't appointed as coach of the Dandenong national team 2/3 years ago.After her coaching record at Nunnawading and then,more significantly,pulling off the threepete at SEABL Dandenong,couldn't believe she was overlooked when Mark Wright was first appointed.

Reply #460764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Downie not pulled down here at all, if you read the threads people actually pay tribute to her game on Sunday. I think the Downie comments come from Mark Wright opting to keep her and play her in front of the up and coming talent. Not to mention Wright throwing the kitchen sink at Ardossi to join the Rangers causing Cummings/Blicavs/Fedljvic and Mijovic to leave. Ardossi got paid more than all the mentioned players in front of loyal junior Rangers players who are even better than her.
Lets just stick to the title DeJa Vu! Wright has been found out two years in a row, with a better team and players not wanting to play for him.
I wonder who wont be back next season. O'hea will be cause she gets over paid. Not sure the imports will be rushing back in a hurry and if Lalani goes Wright will quit for sure and leave the club in turmoil. He's been a cancer for three years and compliments the CEO. Both oxygen thief's.

Reply #460767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, it's a tribute to be called a dinosaur? Go Figure??

Reply #460770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well I wouldn't call her a spring chicken in the WNBL and I'm sure it's not sexist or racist.
I actually like the "Dinosaur" tag. Old, strong and takes care of business.

Reply #460773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of these posts seem to be in the same tone (as per previous Mark Wright posts), I wonder how many IP addresses are in this thread.

Reply #460782 | Report this post

Red36  
Years ago

agree 100% with you Samcro in regards to Downie, any team would be lucky to have her to bring in off the bench!!

casual observer - unfortunately basketball appointments in this country tend to be made on 'profile', whoever is seen by the often 'mums and dads' who sit on boards, to have the best profile ends up with the job. or, are mates with the decision maker. Mark Wright clearly has a bigger profile than Larissa, thereby shadowing the amazing results she has achieved.

how else do you explain appointments like Kennedy Karema, Sabres SEABL job on the back of an almost winless Albury position, followed by a WNBL job on the back of another almost winless couple of years at Sabres (even with the likes of Mikaela Cox and Bridgett Ardossi on his roster). he's the NZ head coach though,and that's all it takes.

At least Kennedy was appointed after they had advertised the job and conducted interviews though, since then they've appointed Dean Kinsman to replace Crivelli, Stephen Hoare to replace Kinsman, Palazolo to replace Karema and Flynn to replace Palazolo all without any sort of process of advertising and interviewing.

this is how quality coaches get overlooked, they aren't in the 'boys club', so they don't get asked, and they can't apply for a position that is not advertised.

one wonders if Leanne or Michele Gaze both excellent basketball minds and coaches were even sounded out on taking the head coach position (as Alex's assistants) before the job was offered to Flynn?

Reply #460783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #460786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No chance Leanne or Michael Gaze would get a head coaching job. That's comedy. Might as well give the Rangers WNBL job to Ron Burgess!!!hahahahahahahahha

Reply #460788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#460782 keep delivering containers that's what your good at, or keep pretending you know how to run a business. You should get a gig at the comedy festival cause you sure make people laugh not with you "at you".
Legendary!

Reply #460790 | Report this post

casual observer  
Years ago

Well,if what the above (clearly they are close observers) say is true,that appointments are made based on the "boys club" or through methods other than merit,then the WNBL,which constantly moans about the coverage they get,deserve what they get.I would hope the above described unsavoury form of politics within sporting clubs might have been left behind at the junior level and clubs at the national level had a genuine desire to succeed,by appointing coaches and support staff based on merit. Apparently not!!Until the WNBL grows up, netball will continue to outgrow them.

Reply #460791 | Report this post

Red36  
Years ago

right you are anonymous, they probably wouldn't be allowed out of the kitchen anyway

Reply #460795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you've discussed dandy now what sbout townsville. I'd like to know a bit about the young kids in their team, Rosie came from dandenong and playing well with reasonable minutes, Wilson got rookie of the year, Thompson not getting on court nor is Tianna. What's the story there?

Reply #460813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just waiting for Dandy to release Clydesdale so they can sweep that mess up too. Wilson looked good but not in shape.
Fire in good shape. Might replace important at end of year just to get even tougher.
Chris Lucas is a class act that's what's happening with them.

Reply #460821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would want to know about Townsville, cause this is the time of year Rangers go on the hunt when they find out no one is returning next season accept O'Hea!

Reply #460822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#822 #821 #790 #786 #767 #693 #684 #767 #675 #868 #645 #655 if you need a hug, I'm sure if you ask nicely you can find one, somewhere.....

Reply #460832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Truth hurts #832

Reply #460873 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Look, I'm not an avid WNBL-er but how about Dandy just got beaten by a better team on the day- not like they got blown out or anything. Yes, may be Mark Wright may be useless but ultimately it was the players who didn't execute. They still finished higher than all the other teams (bar GF teams).

Reply #460896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It really is such a shame what Wright has done to this Dandenong program.. The calibre of players that have gone through Dandy in the last 3 years and got out as quickly as they came really is ridiculous. How is nobody made accountable for this? Here are just a few of the players to remind people of the team Dandenong could put on the floor and would have retained if Mark wasn't the coach: Steph Cumming, Abby Bishop, Jess Foley, Tegan Cunningham, Sarah Blicavs, Carley Mijovic. Those are just to name a few. Someone needs to do something about this bully, who does nothing but belittle his players until they lose all confidence. Can't wait to see the new imports for next season. That's what the outcome here will be, can't recruit locally so use all the money for WNBA players.

Reply #460907 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

^Wow!^ If all those players were still at Dandenong I doubt any side would beat them! Did all those players leave because of their 'no faith' in Mark Wright as a Coach?

Reply #460918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct SamCro

Reply #460924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Kath be back after her year off to have a child?

Reply #460926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How popular is Ohea with other players?.Was told that she runs the team to suit herself and stuff everyone else,so it was best to leave

Reply #460946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not no faith in Mark, they just plain hated him!

Reply #460951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How he got a head coaching position after the farce at Vic Titans amazes me.

Reply #460975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic Giants v2*

Reply #460976 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

Gee, hate is such a strong word! Surely not every player that has left the Rangers hate MW? What is it specifically about his coaching style that leads to players leaving in droves & apparently never wanting to return whilst he is coaching?

Reply #460979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #461009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow.

Reply #461064 | Report this post

Dandy Lion  
Years ago

Haven't you heard how Mark Wright categorizes a great coach ? You get a great team. And he has had the cash to continue year after year to buy what would be a great group of players but he can't seem to get them to play as a great team. Not all teams can win the championship so that in itself should not be the only measure of the success of a year. But why is it that there is a mass exodus from Dandenong every year when the players are arguably overpaid? If you ask the players it is because he has his favorites and plays them, even if they are in foul trouble. In fact, he goes to a zone when they are in foul trouble so he doesn't have to take them off. He instructs the other players to get the ball into their hands and then if the opposition shuts down Jenna, then the Rangers are in trouble. As a player this must get frustrating. So frustrating that they forgoe their $50,000 and choose to play for less at another club.

The pattern continues unabated but if no one in management says no to Mark Wright, then he will continue to overpay players in the hope that his "bought" team will at some stage play well enough , despite his coaching, to win a final. Surely Jayco will pull back on the cash and demand it is used more wisely. Better still, close those purse strings and let's see who wants to play at Dandenong for limited money. Not even Jenna would do that...

Reply #461081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How popular is Ohea with other players?.Was told that she runs the team to suit herself and stuff everyone else,so it was best to leave

I have heard the same thing from 2 players, one who has been a WNBL teammate of hers and other who has been an Opals teammate.
She seems a lovely girl and is a top player but so much opinion in one direction and none in the other can't just be coincidence

Reply #461090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could everyone on this thread please refer to Mark Wright as "Championship Winning Coach, Mr Mark Wright" from now on.
Thanks guys.

Reply #461123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Wright isn't a coach - he wouldn't coach a subpar roster he couldn't buy. He's a successful business man. Guy Molloy would coach him into the ground.

Reply #461127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we should refer to Mark Wright as "broom head" Seems to like being "swept".

Reply #461143 | Report this post

Years ago

Heard Lucas been approached already, there goes the rest of your local players Dandy , he gets rid of them and brings in outsiders, Not one player in fire is from Townsville anymore. So development for local players is the same as Dandy .
Anonymous #46045 to say "The likes of molloy and chris show how good coaches get it done with less talented rosters..." yes Molloy but ridiculous comment about Chris, are you saying the fire didn't pay for Suzy, Cummings, Newley, McCully, Standish, Cox, Thompson. Get Real.

Reply #461158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thompson has barely hit the floor this year!

Reply #461161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would be very surprised if Lucas had any interest in the Dandenong coaching role. Lucas will end up back in Adelaide very, very soon.

Lucas is not without his 'warts' as a coach as well. There would be 4 - 5 players on the Fire roster that won't play for him again after Sunday. All WNBL Coaches to a certain degree 'blow smoke' & make promises & assurances around 'court time & role's' to their players. I wouldn't think Mark Wright would be in the boat by himself!

Reply #461164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"There would be 4 - 5 players on the Fire roster that won't play for him again after Sunday"...
Why is this?

Reply #461166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the right Job came up closer to Lucas family he would take it. He's tried a few times already. To be really honest Townsville team is pretty loaded. They should have made GF. Adding Batkovic was a huge get also Steph Cummings as a scoring guard to replace a tired Foley.
Not sure he's as good as people say, much like Guy Malloy. Tess Madgen is arguably the hardest guard to match up, she can score at will. They get Two seasoned AIS graduates is Spider and Cole and a WNBA player in Jarry in turn taking over from Tom Maher. They also got an import too. Not putting water on his result however that's not a bad team to coach without Cambage and Jackson in the league. He's by far the coach everyone likes cause he's an Aussie and keeps cool. I just hope Bulleen give him some money to have a red hot crack. The Melbourne Boomers were a big to short. Maybe add a Bunton/Mijovic/Burton to the group and they would push for a title.

Reply #461171 | Report this post

Years ago

Chris Lucas closer to home. Oh come on hasn't he been away for about 6 years.

Reply #461174 | Report this post

Big T  
Years ago

If Poppens comes back, i'd love to see Mijovic with the Boomers.

Reply #461219 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Few edits and deletions in this thread at the request of a representative of Dandenong. Please note that your posts are your responsibility and I will comply with legal requests received that could lead to you being identified and pursued legally.

If you wish to contribute to this or any other discussion, please ensure that you keep all of this and the line between opinion and defamation in mind. There is a way to offer your thoughts (including criticism) without it being unfairly nasty or positioned as fact.

Reply #461222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's quite funny that a Dandenong representative would request edits and demand deletes from a social media forum..
Have you got something to hide?? or are you embarrassed not being able to accept the accountability and the opinions of Basketball followers.

It's a lack of leadership and in my OPINION its another attempt to keep sweeping things under the table and hiding behind lies and innuendos.

It must be a coincidence that so many people have volunteered to post and share almost identical opinions. I suggest you proceed requesting who everyone is.

In the meantime Do everyone a favor and show some leadership.
Get on the front foot and provide people with the truth! Respond like a leader, answer some questions. Put out a statement.

I'll suggest some topics to consider, this will slow down the opinions and question marks.

Why have so many WNBL players and coaches left over the past three years?

Why did Cheryl Chambers leave?

How did the Rangers loose Abbey Bishop and Jessica Foley?

Provide the members an explanation into why Darren Perry left? He didn't leave to join Bulleen, that happened after
How about backing the CEO's public statement on "youtube"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1bTEwdclQQ

Breaking records with teams, knocking off the Melbourne tigers and Darren Perry gets sacked?? Did he? Was he demoted?

Explain High Energy??? Being burnt out?? Who is the CEO referring to, is he saying the previous CEO lacked energy,was burnt out? or was this statement towards Leigh Gooding?

Or maybe show some leadership and provide and update to members/supporters and fans to the following to shut down the opinions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4NwAvB58D8

Why did Steph Cummings,Tegan Cunningham,Monica Wright,Carley Mijovic, Rosie Fedlajvic, Sarah Blicavs all not sign - MARK CLEARLY SAYS I WOULD SIGN THEM All??????
What happened?

Where is all the info??

Where is the pathway for Juniors Rangers to aspire to play WNBL?? Why cant you retain Ranger Juniors??

This isn't defamation it's an ion word called EXPLAINATION!!!

In my OPINION there hasn't been enough accountability and a clear lack of leadership.

Feel free whilst you hide away and troll sites to cover your rump steak and plan your next attack on the "Patties Party Pack" in your 5 star corporate box...consider researching leadership and answering a few of the above questions.

Not sure to many people would have much to say then.

Good luck.

Reply #461252 | Report this post

Copycat  
Years ago

Amused to see Molloy and Lucas included together as good coaches. Other threads are correct, Townsville do have a well paid team, as does Dandenong, so it is expected that they make finals. So well done to them. The amusing thing is the coach. When the Boomers went up to play their semi-final in Townsville, Lucas personally called every stadium/venue in Townsville and told them to deny Melbourne a court to train on the day before the game. You're kidding, I hear you say. Not kidding. He was compelled to allow the Boomers to use the court on game day as it is in the WNBL rules. Luckily for Melbourne, a kindly Townsville Crocs allowed them a court.

Secondly, the shuffle offense. Molloy's via Alabacov. Yeah, I know, no one owns an offense but all the same. Teaching methods etc. Next, 131 zone offense against Dandy. Molloy again. Good coaching to pick this up from Melbourne I hear you say. Agree with that, who wouldn't. Rumor is that Lucas will use little white prompters cards in his pocket during the GF. Watch and see on Sunday. Molloy again. And if Lucas turns up in a white shirt then I will roll around in hysterical laughter.

Lucas, you can't copy someone to get coach of the year, you have to be a good coach.

Reply #461255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Copycat....Townsville have been using the Shuffle before this season and is clearly a more hybrid version than the traditional "Melbourne Tigers" version employed by Guy.

Reply #461273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

some very interesting comments..... the head coach of teh rangers is good mates with CEO and major sponsor... so wasting time even discussiin he is untouchable.. agree with comments abouve the leader of the ragners should spend more time looking after his club... word on street is their seabl imports are about to miss the first couple games due to visa issues... raising the championship banner and getting belted with your imports on the sideline

Reply #461280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

copycat some interesting comments....Townsville isn't even close to the same budget as Rangers... Fire have made the finals every year Lucas has been there.... He also made finals every year he was in Adelaide... think he was Canberra's assistant when they won 2 titles.....last time I checked he was also the under 17 worlds coach....... so there is absolutely no doubt he is one of the top coaches in
the competition, based on that body of work and fact! ….He can really coach and has attracted really good players to Townsville... players not returning after Sundays game.....hm????? He kept the core group together to make another run at the title... Standish, Rach, Cocks, Mia, Thompson.. had to replace a retiring Jess Foley and Jessica Adair, with Steph C and the best big in the league in Susie…… why exactly are all those players going up there again if he can’t coach???
Good luck to the Fire this weekend will be battling against the odds but you never know.

Reply #461281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any edits or delete requests today?
#461280 is on the money too.

Plenty of puppets and mates looking after each other to keep jobs and avoid accountability.
How can a professional basketball club stuff up import VISA's??
Sad because imports are great guys and Darren Perry is a top bloke.

Reply #461323 | Report this post

Copycat  
Years ago

#461281 Let's see what happens at the end of the season. Who will stay and who will go? Should be interesting

Reply #461549 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

you gutless pricks put your names to your posts your all tuff over the net but you don't have the guts to put your names to your comments

GUTLESS

Reply #461555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow all these would be coaches , having a crack at mark wright. Do any of you stop to think if all these so called stars who left dandenong to go to other teams stayed how much court time would they ALL be getting. You cannot run every player the min 35 mins they all seem to want. Plus those who left are all very young and frankly inexperienced at the wnbl level , the average age is 27 of a good experienced wnbl player. Those that have reportedly left because they didn't like wright not giving them court time haven't got much more in the teams they went to with lesser players on the roster. Have any of you seen the rangers women twain, seen how they work. Mark wright can't be that bad as rangers have made playoffs every year he's coached. What they have lacked each year they have lost is a good strong experienced at this level big. That's been the difference. And as for the crap regarding ohea running the team, you have no idea, she has the least ego of anyone out there, but is asked to do a huge job. They did not get thrashed in the semi, they lost by 3 , it could have gone either way. Yes wright could and should use his bench more during the season so that his stars are not physically and mentally drained as much come finals, but he's not the only coach that does this. So get off your soap boxes and walk in his shoes for a year, then come back and see if YOU can win a championship.

Reply #461833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couple of facts for all you FACELESS cowards out there having a crack:

1. The Rangers WNBL team had a extremely successful season in what was effectively their first season together, to come within 1 shot of making the grand final is a credit to the players and coaching staff!
All players at the Awards night spoke highly of ALL coaching staff. And whoever thinks Jenna O'Hea runs the team for herself needs to get a life, one of the most unselfish and nicest athletes (male & female) you could ever wish to meet!

2. VISA's for the Rangers 2 SEABL imports HAVE come through as they were both expected too. This comes as no surprise to anyone that has half an interest in basketball and what goes on at Dandenong.

3. Three more Junior Championship teams registered for this year, taking the total from 37 to 40!

Those of you who keep hiding behind a forum and posting negative comments as "Anonymous" how about you pick up the phone and contact the administration at Dandenong, make an appointment with the CEO and talk about any issues you have face to face.

Reply #462565 | Report this post

Not Anonymous  
Years ago

OK "FACELESS cowards", you've all been called out by someone called Anonymous.

Reply #462566 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I have to laugh...Anonymous talks about faceless cowards. i think it would be fair to say that Dandenong had the biggest budget of all the playing rosters in the WNBL and the talent to go with it. Yes twice they've come up short but if a few things go the other way you win two titles. I'm sure they will go through an internal review and look at what they can do better for next season. I believe Daequon suffered a knee injury the other night. Not sure how bad.

Reply #462567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

an anonymous coward post is different to a positive anonymous post and if you can't understand that then good luck to you!

Reply #462569 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

LOL.. Hey Look this isn't the first time and wont be the last time people vent when their favorite team doesn't meet their own expectations. What this thread shows me is that people are paying attention and love their club like most fans do. I cant imagine James Hird going on a fan forum Last year and trying to explain and ask for post to be removed..it's just seems a bit beneath a class organization to go to these lengths to explain themselves on a fan forum. You would have to expect some criticism from your fans if the team under achieves in their mind...It actually means that you've made it. Try not to be so sensitive and rise above it and keep working hard to make all your fans proud. And remember every time you respond on here, post, or remove posts it just pushes it back to the top of the board for people to weigh in. This thread WAS dead now here we go again. Think bigger than a little mom and pop club. Dandenong is a professional WNBL club just like AFL people will have a go at the team, the coach, and management it's part of the job..get use to it or get out.

Reply #462572 | Report this post

Not Anonymous  
Years ago

An anonymous poster has just as much right to an opinion as someone calling themselves "Anonymous".

By your own reasoning you are also a faceless coward for attacking the anonymous people for voicing an opinion.

If you can't handle people putting an opinion forward you should not be reading public forums at all, "Anonymous"

Reply #462573 | Report this post

Also Anonymous  
Years ago

On the real "Anonymous" point 1. If you maintain the same retainment and subsequent recruitment policy, you will be running first season teams every year. Also players are hardly going to bag the coaching staff at an awards night. Everyone knows the right things to say at the right time.

Reply #462677 | Report this post

Reality check  
Years ago

Of course Mark Wright and the people that continue to employ him think there is nothing wrong with their strategy of overpaying players to attempt to win a championship. It is a fact that the Dandenong budget is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than every club except Canberra . Quite frankly, if they have a great sponsor that continues to pump money in then why wouldn't they pay good money to good players. But i think that this is the point people are trying to make. Give Chris Lucas or Guy Molloy the same budget to buy players and I bet they would have greater success than Mark Wright. Despite being able to buy pretty much whoever he wants he still doesn't win because he can't get them to play as a team or for him. But who cares! Great for the players who get paid, great for Mark Wright he stays employed and if all you have to out up with is some posts on a hoops forum, then happy days!

Agree that no player is going to bag the coaching staff on an awards night when they are yet to be signed but what you don't hear is what they say to other players in the league about what happens and the unhappiness in the coach. But of course, they are free to leave if they don't like it and, guess what, they keep leaving! Despite not getting paid the same money as when they played for Dandenong they find out that money can't buy everything. Not even a championship!

Reply #462679 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:54 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754