Anonymous
Years ago

Winter Season

Is the first Friday night games of Winter on the 21st of March?

Topic #33869 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-3-0-0-0&sID=36670

Reply #460656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just seems very close to summer as gf for summer isn't until the 14th????

Reply #460657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time off between seasons means no revenue for BSA.

Reply #460658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well what about a week or two to let the finalists have a break???

Reply #460661 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

anon 661 can't you read?

it has NOTHING to do with player welfare

it is ONLY about the money

Reply #460667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um can read thanks.

I wasn't actually asking if we can do that. It was more a comment to say be fair and let them have a break.

Comprehend?

Reply #460685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haven't they just come back from XMas holidays break?

Reply #460687 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

consider the Junior Competition nothing more than a cash cow

every decision made is about maximising the income stream from it

forget about the athletes

comprehend?

Reply #460689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well I'm not looking at it that way. I'm looking at the players themselves.

As for the xmas holidays comment do you realise that kids still train then? Kids went away interstate for state commitments.

I don't know many kids that stop over that time

Reply #460690 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Cat, It's a little hard not to be too cynical about the comp being a cash cow, because it is. Whenever there's talk about rescheduling games etc there's a plethora of anon's screaming about how much money BSA would lose (some say crazy figures!) with games not being played and loss of court hire to clubs. There's the carryon about how games are played at Wayville because they are "free" - there's no such thing as a free lunch!

I've said it here before and I'll say it again. Just because BSA have locked in long term leases on these facilities does not mean they are "free". I know it is "creative accounting" but the Competition needs to pay a fee to BSA for court hire and then the Competition Committee recoups this through nomination fees as well as entrance fees. The court hire revenue needs to be maximised, but in doing so bias needs to be given to building the competition so that there are no gaps in court times. I know talking to one of the Presidents of a Melbourne Club with their domestic league and he said that if the court is there is needs to be used and their drive was to see no court under-utilised and then when they reached a capacity, find another court and find teams to fill that.

It is smart to align seasons in a logical manner and some time between seasons is important to allow a defined season. Too long a gap and kids leave, too short and they burn out.

Reply #460707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon - what rubbish. Those who played state trained twice on a weekend before they left. Very few did stuff over late Dec-early Jan because stadiums are shut. They don't do nearly as much as during "normal" basketball weeks.

And if they still trained over that X-Mas break, what makes you think they won't with a "break" between seasons? They still won't get the break you are after!!

Reply #460714 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Seriously, if you have children who made finals do not complain. Those who didn't have a 3 week break but would love the opportunity to play finals. You get a 4 week break between Winter and Summer in September and 7 weeks at Christmas. That's basketball.

Reply #460716 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Having coached a team that lost on Friday, I am sure the players would want and love to play Friday week

Reply #460796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I understand what you're saying and not complaining about having to play next week. It was more just a week off for a quick break and having new players come in winter at least have a week with them first.

I'm sure they'll be want to play but summer grand final isn't really that big a deal though.

Reply #460875 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Summer is where players get sorted in to the appropriate team ready for the proper season for Winter. Too bad for those who do not play Summer, the players who have, did the work and will benefit in Winter. Can't change it all for a few who only play Winter. This is how basketball runs all over Australia. Be grateful you are not in Vic where Representative (SA District 1/2) have to play domestic as well (SA District 3/4/5/etc.) . That's why they are so tough to beat..... They rarely get a break. SA is only 3 times a week with 2 trainings and 1 game.

Reply #460947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The season and I mean summer and winter, as they are so close together, are way too long and part of the reason retaining player interest is difficult. Can only be a cash grab to have young bodies playing and training this much which adds to the growing serious injuries basketball youngster experience.

Reply #461034 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

When is the schedule out? travel, dinner taxis need planning. Will it be a peak hour crawl to Starplex with dinner at Smithfield or a peak hour crawl to Morphettvale or a leisurley amble to Pasadena or Wayville? When can we expect an opportunity to whine about how many away games Sturt and Forestville don't play and how disadvantaged Tigers and North Adelaide are?

Reply #463008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im with you, 008 when will the Draw/fixtures be out a few days away and nothing it all seems pretty unprofessional BSA. Its not like you have know all along it starts this week. Would be nice as a parent to be shown a little courtesy and at least had them out early this morning.. Some of us may need to plan, especially if your kids arent playing at the same venues..
As with BSA you never know what curve ball they may throw at you.. I have learnt that in the few short years of being involved.

Reply #463029 | Report this post

Years ago

Have to wait for pro/rel results for some grades

Reply #463039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure div 1 is out tomorrow??!

Reply #463047 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Monday competitions - Wednesday 12/3/14

Tuesday competitions – Thursday 13/3/14

Wednesday competitions – Friday 14/3/14

Thursday competitions – Monday 17/3/14

Friday competitions – Tuesday 18/3/14

Saturday competitions –Tuesday 18/3/14

Reply #463049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First four deadlines haven't been met. I think that's the point.

Reply #463054 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I was simply stating the deadlines in response to 047.

Reply #463057 | Report this post

annoymous  
Years ago

I have two sons each playing in different teams this thursday and another boy training that night. Why isn't the schedule out yet? 3 days to go and no idea if I am in morpheme vale or gawker at 6pm or 8.15pm. Agree with 029, 008 and 054. Not good enough basketball SA. Logistics of getting my boys to each of their games logistically hard enough without basketball sa leaving it until the last minute to let us know.

Reply #463073 | Report this post

annoymous  
Years ago

please excuse bad typing, I'm tierd and predictive text is determined to make things worse!

meant Morphett Vale and Gawler

Reply #463074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I assume they are paid salary?? I'm sure many of you would understand the I have to work back or weekend to meet this deadline analogy? Again shows there's to much complacency.

Reply #463078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder what David Ingam will do in regards to the jun comp? Will he visit stadiums on a Friday night like Mike Gibson does with his officials? View potential talent -players and coaches?

Reply #463122 | Report this post

Years ago

Of.course that will happen

Reply #463124 | Report this post

CABL NEDIA REP  
Years ago

^ Lol is that you Mike?

Reply #463126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am curious about two things.

Reply #463128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know what happened above.

Reply #463129 | Report this post

green45  
Years ago

Still waiting for Friday fixtures. Kids will be home from school soon

Reply #463149 | Report this post

green45  
Years ago

Too late, they're home. No fixtures.

Reply #463162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing till 5pm Wednesday now

Reply #463184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No idea what Divisions Saturday morning teams have been placed in either.

This weekend should be written off with all Junior games starting next weekend.

Reply #463185 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:06 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754