The Journo
Years ago

Halls / Woollacott Predictions?

With only four rounds to go I was hoping to get peoples opinions on who they are putting their hard earn money on this year?

Is it a two horse race between Dix and Watson for the Woolacott?

Will Kelson win another Halls Medal?

Thoughts?

Topic #3388 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Dix vs Watson

From a statistical perspective, I don't think Watson will challenge Dix. You're comparing Watson's 7 extra PPG with Dix's 8 extra RPG and 2 extra APG. Oh, and an extra 1.4 BPG plus fewer turnovers and fouls. Jye beats him in FT% and 3P% but I don't think that's enough. Whatever Dix loses to Newley or others, Jye may lose to Reggie or Wilkey.

If you add Oscar into the mix, he matches Dix on the scoreboard and in rebounds, but doesn't really challenge at all with assists. Oscar has an edge in blocks, fewer turnovers, and leads him in 3P% and FT%, but Dix has the superior FG%. You'd have to say that Dix would be favourite -- 5 APG from your PF is pretty tough for anyone to match.

Obviously it'll come down to how the referees have voted each game, rated scoring vs rebounds and assists, and weighted votes to winning teams. I think that last year a few players, who traditionally fly under the radar but do well for their team, polled well.

In the NBL, I went through every boxscore and gave my personal 3-2-1 votes -- in my judgement, Rychart cleanly outrated Farley, but the official standings were the opposite. Do the refs look at the boxscore before allocating votes? Do they go by what they've seen in the game alone (noticing the big shots and missing the sneaky inside twos)?

Reply #38955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its gonna be between Oscar and Dix. If Watson wins i would be very surprised.

Reply #38956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

watson scored well early

don't forget Cam Wilson for Woodville a dark horse for sure

Cayla Francis for mine for the women

Reply #38961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cam Wilson and Puds are having huge years for woodville, dont discount those guys !!!

Reply #38976 | Report this post

It's out of Puddifoot, Dix and Forman for me.

Reply #38983 | Report this post

bootleg  
Years ago

I would like to go with Jye Watson but if I was going to put money on it. I would have to go to Dix he fills up ever stat on the sheet and I think that's just to hard to beat. And Forestville has a better win to lose ratio than centrals.

For the women it would have to be Cayla Francis or Erin Phillips but she hasn't played in ever game so I guess that Cayla will get it.

Reply #38985 | Report this post

Stats guy  
Years ago

"Obviously it'll come down to how the referees have voted each game, rated scoring vs rebounds and assists, and weighted votes to winning teams"

its interesting you say this Isaac. I beleive it is unwritten law (may even be protocol, not sure) that the umpires are not to receive box scores for the purpose of MVP's. I dont have a problem with giving them a copy, but i think maybe the evaluators rather they do the votes first.

Can any ABL evaluators confirm or deny?

oh, and Dix and Francis

Reply #38988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's purely up to each individual referee. Some request a copy of the stats, some look at the scoresheet and some do it simple from memory. Remember coaches vote too so it's not completely up to the referees.

Reply #38990 | Report this post

Stats guy  
Years ago

anon (#38990)

i didn't know coaches voted, i just sit on my computer and do the stats. Although a few umpires request a box score, i still think it is protocol for them not to look at/use them for their votes. Could be wrong?

Reply #38991 | Report this post

Kym Taylor  
Years ago

Dix should win outright. Look at last weeks game alone. Done deal!!!

Reply #39001 | Report this post

Kym Taylor you seem to be a huge Dix fan.

Reply #39011 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Kym was a fan of anyones at the woolocott last year!

Reply #39012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Gerlach?

Reply #39013 | Report this post

Kym Taylor  
Years ago

I am Velvet Sledgehammer aka Matthew Lloyd. Had the hard task of not allowing him to go off the straight and narrow as a young pup. It was purely coffee and scones, and even now we only indulge in light beer diet lemonade shandie's with a Sunday roast.

Reply #39015 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Dix will win it unless Oscar can get 40 pts , 15 + rebounds for the remainder of the season. He had a couple of low scoring nights (by his high standards 2x11pts )that will hurt his chances. Both are deserving either way.
Watson would win if he could be in the paint a bit more and rebound.. but thats not his role- maybe some more assists would help his chances ?
All 3 have been great to watch this season .. because you never know when one of them is going to fire up for a 12+ point qtr!!

Cameron Wilson while very solid this year and playing more mins than anybody will not win because he will share votes with Puddifoot who while shooting a low % at times has been SO consistent on the rebounds and other contributing stats. He is no.1 in Offensive rebounds and saves the Warriors arses when they put up avg shots at times.

Gerlach .. no. Sorry he has failed to give more of the big 30+ point games he could have done this year.Too many 18-20 point games where he could have gone on with it.
He rebounds well and is a pretty good play maker .. but has not been able to win many games off his own back. Dix, Forman and Watson have been those types of players this year.

Danny Phillips i think will get votes this year too .. but not enough to trouble the top 3 too much.

My Prediction TOP 5 vote getters

1. Dix
2. Forman
3. Watson
4. Puddifoot
5. Gerlach

Roughies : Hambour, Phillips, Davis & Reggie

Reply #39021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reggie has missed too many games and with Jai scoring high 40s and a 50 earlier on it would be hard to put Paul in front of Watson for the early part of the season.

most refs that i know of do the votes before they see the score sheet or the box scores - the primary vote getter is usually clear in their mind it is the next votes that sometimes gets clarify with who contributed to winning the game or tipping the balance, or doing something extraordinary

remember it is the best & FAIREST
we all see the outward remonstrating but only the ref's hear the little snipes and gripes

robert rose was probably the best a few years back but he certainly wasn't the fairest and didn't win

Reply #39028 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Phillips is an interesting one.

In the games West has won he has been a stand out.

Referees would remember a player stroking threes from deep, but have West won enough games for Phillips to collect three votes.

I should have added Forman to the Dix vs Watson original thread, my apologies Ozzie!

I agree that Francis will be a darkhorse for the Halls Medal, and with a lot of newere referees in theLeague this season I think the usual suspects may not get the votes they may well have got in the past.

Whats the critera for all-star five?

I hope its not two games or something like that. Id hate to see Newley get a berth infront of a Phillips or Wilson just because of his reputation.

Will Ng take votes off Ozzie? Thats why I went for Dix, not too many Eagles stand out (besides Newley)

Reply #39053 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Dix by far! No offence Isaac, I know your rooting for your brother to win one but Dixie is an umpires favourite and I think NG and even Gower may take too many votes off of him, although it will be close.
I think your dark horse would have to be Cam Wilson, he's been pretty good this year and I think only puds will take a couple off of him.

Reply #39056 | Report this post

Kym, seems Dix is straying from your influence. I saw him having a Bacardi Breezer the other week at the Oxford.

Reply #39057 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Panther, no offence possible -- I too rated Dix the favourite!

Reply #39067 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

If you have a look at the Top 50 performances using Hoops SA Rating you get the following numbers for each player that they are in the Top 50. Be interesting to see how close they get to the votegetters, or whether they end up being nowhere near it:-

Men
Forman - 9
Dix - 7
Vandenburgh - 5
Ng - 3
Hambour - 3

Women
Braithwaite - 6
M Bowley - 6
Phillips - 5
Kelson - 5
Francis - 5

Reply #39070 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

men
1.dix
2 puddifoot

women
1.phillips
2.francis

Reply #39084 | Report this post

The HSA only considers stats, it doesn't consider defense. Which is why Puddifoot is right up there. Check the other contenders (particuarly Dix) when Puddifoot was on him, he had his worst game of the season.

Reply #39085 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

you have a good point there eastern lowland gorilla.you must be a pf/c because there the only people who care about defence on court and can see the defensive efforts by a player such as puddifoot.

Reply #39086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha not this topic again cheezie :P

Men:
Dix

Women:
Francis

Reply #39088 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

But do refs consider Defense when they are awarding votes?

Have a look back at past winners, a lot of top scorers have won in the past!

Reply #39129 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ShutUp, you make a good point further up. Dix has had some massive performances (60-70 HSA) but they still get 3 votes. A 20 and 15 elsewhere might get the same 3 votes for another player.

I don't think anyone could be unimpressed if Dix were to win it -- someone SMSed me the stats from Forestville's game last night and he was very good again (21, 19 and 6 I think).

Reply #39189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a lot of top scorers who have won in the past often deserve it.

Kelson can you say that she hasn't deserved any of her wins. how many times does she return triple doubles or very close too them. she does it at both ends of the floor.

Dix is a player who can turn a game all on his own. remember the a final a few years back against west he won that one his own it was Dix against west by miles.

Holmes dominated the game both ends of the floor, he could hit almost impossible shots was a great rebounder and team leader.

Many of the winners might be top points scorers but they are also the ones who do the little 1 percenters as well.

there are many top points scorers who don't receive many votes because they don't play a team game someone who has the ball in their possession and shoot shoot shoot play half court defence will rarely garner votes.

Reply #39199 | Report this post

Are you saying Watson doews the one percenters? All he does is shoot (very well, mind you)

Reply #39237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Many of the winners might be top points scorers but they are also the ones who do the little 1 percenters as well.'

watson hasn't won a woollacott

i was saying just because some past winners have been top scorers doesn't mean they don't deserve it.

i think watson just shoots well he doesn't put in alot in other areas

Reply #39269 | Report this post

Kym Taylor  
Years ago

Again saw Dix in action on Saturday night on and off the court. Plenty of stats across the board yet again. Big in points, rebounds, assists, and I saw a few blocks too. Then off the court yet again led the boys in some scone and shandie action. I was there to oversee the festivities, and yes Velvet Sledgehammer, I again intervened, so he would not be tempted to try for an Orange Breezer.

I did however see the Velvet one cutting a svelt figure on the dance floor. It looks like all those powder shakes are paying off.

Reply #39317 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:13 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754