Hobart Tassie Devils commentator early 90s

Hey guys

Does anyone who's been following the NBL for awhile recall around 1992-93ish when Channel 10 were covering the "Mitsubishi Challenge", there was an American TV commentator covering Hobart Devils home games. I have a feeling he was a former NBL player, and he was ... very over the top, very enthusiastic, very American.

Some of his catchphrases included:
'Mark Davis pulls down another board - wow! Look at those buuuuuulging biceps'
'Alley-ooopyyyyyyyyy David Stiffyyyyyyyyy!!!!!'
'Holy Mackarel!!!!!!!!'

Anyone remember the name of this guy?

Topic #33884 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wayne Mcdaniel

Reply #461024 | Report this post

NJS  
Years ago

Peter Walsh, still works for ABC radio. He had a more calm American sidekick who's name escapes me

Reply #461030 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Was it Don Hansen? I think his son Jay was in the Tassie Devils development squad in the late eighties.

Reply #461031 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

From memory it was: Peter Walsh was always very OTT. Phrases sound like him. Been in Adelaide for years with ABC. Hear him on Crows telecasts. Don Hansen was his off sider. More reserved than Peter. They did the games until the devils folded.

Reply #461036 | Report this post

Thanks guys, yeah it was definitely Don Hansen who I was thinking of. Peter Walsh is definitely over the top at times in his commentary (and fashion sense), but the guy with these particular catchphrases was distinctly American.

Reply #461041 | Report this post

Fake_name  
Years ago

I don't believe that Hanson did that many games at the DEC with Walshie. Certainly in the days before the Devils moved to the DEC, Hanson called games.
MacDaniel did the majority of games with Walsh at the Dec.

Reply #461112 | Report this post

Pug 12  
Years ago

His son Jay provided me with a great memory - dunking off one leg (other leg was in plaster) athletic freak!

Reply #461116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peter Walsh is the worst commentator ever. and a weirdo.

Reply #461471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was a commentator in Newcastle as well who was WAY over the top. Had no idea about the game but made it entertaining to watch and listen to.

Reply #461475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah i guess Walsh's commentary on the ABC over tha last nearly 30 years is terrible. No good what so ever. He aint no weirdo either

Reply #461484 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:07 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754