Kev
Years ago

Wildcats need to re-sign Dolla Beal

Wildcats need to sign him up now! I'd prefer to keep him over Ennis.

Topic #33885 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

An Ennis quality import with his athleticism is what puts bums on seats though

Reply #461026 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Best combo guard in the league.

Reply #461028 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Hey wait a minute...

He ain't dominant!

Reply #461033 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Better than Clarke?

Reply #461037 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Na, can't really argue that Clarke hasn't had a better season. I can't even say that I wouldn't prefer Clarke at the Cats.

But Beal has been severely underrated this year and I'm happy for him to fly under the radar on his way to a Finals MVP award.

Reply #461040 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I was being facetious, because back in mid-late November, I implied that he was a dominant player in the league yet I was shut down by everyone who replied to my comment.

Funny thing is that if you take away his three subpar games at the start of the season, he was averaging 19.25 ppg (up 3.25 on his current number). The other major numbers for his whole season to that point were 4.4 apg (1.1 better than he is currently), and 2.9 rbs (0.6 better than he is currently).

Though, he has shot 5% better 3pts and 1% better fgs on the season than to that point.

Reply #461043 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Thought fstos was having a go because of what I said re: Clarke and Ervin on the weekend.

Can Clarke really be put in the category of combo guard? Does he play much at the two? I know he plays with Martin, but is that rotation, or just when Gordie decides to go small?

Reply #461044 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Also a big fan of Beal, hope he stays in the NBL!

Gleeson has always done a great job at getting good imports, and should continue with the Wildcats money/resources at his disposal. He did a great job getting Beal, not 100% sure if Ennis was his target or a front office idea/signing.

This is what makes the Wildcats scary good, they have basically the 2 best imports in the league (atleast best combo) and 2 guys who have played a major for Australia in Martin and Redhage and if Matt Knight can stay healthy that is an amazing starting 5!

Reply #461049 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Reply #461052 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Hypothetical:

Beal or Lisch for next season??

Beal a bit more streaky but when on is unstoppable.
Also slightly better at running the point.

Lisch a more consistent performer. Higher ppg and would enjoy more freedom than last year with the stricter reffing interpretations

Reply #461087 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Good question.

Lisch's ability to draw contact is something not talked about, but he's like Manu Ginobili in that regard. And for sure the interpretations would help him no end. They'd also help him get cleaner looks than he's ever experienced in the NBL as a result of moving off the ball, something he's again better at than Beal.

Beal's stats put him to shame a little bit, though I'd still take Kev..

Reply #461088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hypothetical:
Beal or Lisch for next season??"

When in doubt, go with the black guy.

Reply #461089 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Anon, kinda racist but oh so true

Reply #461091 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Wouldn't mind seeing Beal back he flies under the radar with all the attention Ennis receives. As for comparing Beal and Lisch, would lean towards Beal but wouldn't be disappointed with Lisch instead.

Reply #461094 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In 10 of his 25 games Beal has shot 33% or lower. He certainly hasn't been a dominant player in the league over the season, far from it, however he has had some of the most dominant quarters of anyone in the comp. When he is hot he is SMOKING!

Reply #461098 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Yeah its a tough call. I wouldn't be disappointed with either for next season. Good point statsheet.. lisch would get much cleaner looks and potentially ave more ppg than ever before. Also the chemistry he had with teammates is an intangible that cant be ignored. But beal's ability to run the point adds more flexibility to the team which gives him my vote.

Reply #461130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch > Beal, no question.

That said, as a Wildcats fan, I'd be quite happy to have Beal back next season.

Have to remember that not only did Lisch not have the benefit of tighter calls like this year, but he was also the only import. Beal has had Ennis to draw away attention. Lisch is also far, far more consistent than Beal.

Reply #461176 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How does the defense of Lisch and Beal compare? Have only seen a few of Beal's games, but other than lighting it up from outside, he hasn't stood out to me. Lisch struck me as effective at both ends, plus dogged, plus the winner-type. I'd back that more often than not.

Reply #461193 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Lisch is better than Beal for mine, I dont think Jermaine could be a number one option on a top team in the NBL, whereas Kevin has clearly proven he can.

Beal is a perfect complement to what the Cats have this year though, pops up when needed with devastating effect.

Reply #461194 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Beal has played a lot like Lisch did in his first season. Showed glimpses of brilliance, but also played so tentatively at times that he hurt his team.

Reply #461197 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Lisch is the more consistent player but like Beal he had patchy moments in his first season.

Reply #461198 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Of course, that was Lisch's first pro season, this is Jermaine's fourth.

Reply #461208 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Perth have had a good run with imports last few years better than most in NBL

Reply #461211 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I get the feeling that's not about to stop with the resources they now have and the contacts theyve been building. Theyre a class act.

Reply #461212 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Re-signing Damo no doubt a high priority for the cats

Reply #461221 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

^^^ Nick Marvin on ten news interview last week mentioned they are already on the look out for an ennis type for next season to replace him.
Its expected other teams will try do the same given the success of luring ennis and young to the NBL. Great for the league if we have a few more of these marquee type players here next season

Reply #461250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt Beal would play as well as Lisch did with the interpretations by refs in previous seasons. Kind of hard to compare though.

Reply #461478 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:14 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754