paul
Years ago

Cedric Jackson leaves Ljubljana

Jackson has struggled with his ab injury and is now expected to be out for some time after doing it properly again, so he and Ljubljana agreed to split.

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/Adriatic-League/news/Cederic_Jackson_and_Union_Olimpija_part_ways/354582

I wonder if he will be looking to get back to the NBL next season? If NZ lose a key player or two to Europe after the World Cup they might be pretty happy to have Cedric and Penney to fill the gap.

Topic #33902 | Report this topic

Moneyballer  
Years ago

I really hope he gets back into the NBL as a Breaker. I remember somewhere he said he was thinking of getting naturalized too.

Reply #461373 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Haha "they might be pretty happy to have Cedric and Penney fill the gap"

Yeah I guess... at a stretch.

Moneyballer, that's a naturalised Kiwi I gather?

Reply #461374 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Penney and Jackson that's one hell of a backcourt if I was a Breakers fan I'd be happy with that

Reply #461384 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

He might just take the paycut to come back....could be a risk if he loose quickness due to his hip thou.

Reply #461406 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

Yeah that's right SS. But that still doesn't make him an import for an Aussie team does it?

Reply #461431 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Yeah that's correct, Money.

Reply #461435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bad luck to Cedric, hope he recovers soon.

I would love to see him in the NBL next season, every NBL coach should be calling him, trying to convince him imo. If you dont atleast find out his asking price/interest in playing NBL/your club then you are not doing your job imo, he was the best import we have had in a few years and was better than any current imports imo. Would love him in a 36ers uniform!!

Reply #461442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He really struggled in Slovenia so might be willing to take a pay cut to return to a league he can play well in.

Reply #461443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jackson Penney backcourt would be orgasmic.

Reply #461467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corletto claims talk of this back court is "a conspiracy to minimise his playing time".

Reply #461474 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Come back, get some confidence back. Smart move would love to see him back!!

Reply #461487 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Wow that would be an exceptional back court, ok you get rid of CJ but who else?

Would you try and keep Pledger/Frank and Vukona/Wilkinson front court... That team would sure smack some teams

Reply #461514 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Jackson/Webster
Penney/Corletto
Abercrombie/TeRangi
Vukona/Frank or Loe
Pledger/Wilkinson

would need the points cap to be scrapped but great looking team on paper

Reply #461568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro that is a great looking team. One change I would make is Hudson for Wilkinson...No offense to Wilkinson but his defense is horrible and with all the scoring that team has in the back court and small forward spots I think a defensive oriented player like Hudson would be more valuable than a guy who needs the ball to be effective

Reply #461571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just put Loe as back up C instead of Wilkinson. They'll need to save some coin up front for that backcourt. They'll also need to keep an import spot free because there is a good chance of at least one of current guys getting a good European offer after the World Cup.

Reply #461574 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Loe is 7ft but in love with the 3ball and spends a fair bit of time away from the paint (although this season his rebounding numbers have been up) where as Hudson or Frank love banging bodies and bodying up in the paint and have a bit of mongrel in them.

Reply #461584 | Report this post

Stevie Wonder  
Years ago

Jackson + Penney = best combo ever
Abercrombies role would change to defensive hussler ala Boucher

Reply #461585 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

You don't just 'become' a defensive hustler.

Reply #461589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro, you just described Wilkinson, hence why Loe would take that spot in the offence. Abercrombie would stay one of the main focuses with Jackson getting him and Penney the ball.

Reply #461590 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I'm surprised you'd keep Corletto in the team.

Reply #461594 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

If Penney came back and points cap was still in place it's doubtful they would keep Corletto at least imo.

Reply #461599 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

no Wilkinson is 6.10 ish and has a ton more experience and is a proven scorer at this level.
I would take Loe though, he's a 7ft local who is mobile and can knock down the 3. They don't come along that often in NZ Basketball and really will have to be grabbed by the Breakers, especially as he came through their academy before heading to St Louis. He won't set the league on fire immediately but has Daniel Johnson type potential IMO.

Corletto is a keeper, ton's of experience & can defend along with his obvious offensive skills. Can't have a team full of kids, got to have a couple of experienced guys who can steady the ship.

Reply #461600 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Abercrombies role would be the same, attack the rim & shoot over the defense and use his length defensively.

Reply #461601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No ones saying they are the same height, same ability or same experience, just that Wilkinson and Loe have similar games as stretch 5s in the NBL!

Reply #461613 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry that was me, so was the Anstey one and a few others earlier, didnt realise name wasn't in.

Reply #461614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilkinson is 6'8" not 6'10".

Reply #461623 | Report this post

Stevie Wonder  
Years ago

cedric jakson 6ft3
kirk penney 6ft5
thomas abercrombie 6ft6

anyone i missed in this convo?

Reply #461646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Penney and to a lesser extent Cedric (as not a local AU/NZer) really needs to come back as they are depriving us of their talents! Okay they are in Europe but they are just regular players there, would be more valued here by the fans of the NBL.

Reply #461897 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:32 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754