wildcats80
Years ago

Chris Anstey classic quotes

Quote from Chris Anstey after win again NZ

But we're still in third spot and we’re in that spot because we’re a good basketball team.

Quote from Chris Anstey after last weeks home loss to Crocs just 6 days earlier

"We are not a very good basketball team," Anstey said.

What an absolute Hack, this guy cannot coach, no idea, underachieved, and only coaching as he is good mates with the owners.

This shows he has no idea, say your a poor team one week then the next week say we are 3rd as we are a good basketball team shows how he has no idea.

Topic #33913 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shut up you mug! You do a better job

Reply #461605 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I'm not really an Anstey fan but given the roller coaster nature and parity in the comp this year I don't see any problem with his comments, every team has been up and down in form all year.
Is he a hack? Maybe but still a good chance he will be coaching in the playoffs

Reply #461606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last night at the presser he was asked what he was thinking when they were 15 down. His response?

"Fuck."

Classic moment!

Reply #461612 | Report this post

Stevie Wonder  
Years ago

hes a player trynna coach
just like heal
they need mentors & jesus

Reply #461625 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

Look whose the mug posted without a name.

Reply #461629 | Report this post

Trader  
Years ago

I somewhat agree, funny how his opinions of his team changed in 1 week. A hack, don't think so.

Reply #461631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldn't agree more...I can't even stand to look at the guy let alone listen to him.

Reply #461632 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I have no idea how Melbourne are in the playoff hunt. They are awful and give a new meaning to the term "playing the wrong way"...

But they have somehow won a tonne of games...

Reply #461643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not going to comment on Anstey, but coaching in the playoffs is far from proof that he is not a hack. I mean Trevor Gleeson is coaching in the playoffs too.

Reply #461644 | Report this post

Stevie Wonder  
Years ago

goulding having a good season & that lucas walker 3ball to win the other night was #cold

Reply #461645 | Report this post

Dale  
Years ago

Haters gunna hate. What drivel. If you are going to bag the guy, come up with something insightful. Coaches are forced into these press conferences whilst still in the heat of the after match and will occasionally say something a bit contradictory or in the moment. How can you measure him on that. Frankly I think the Tigers are overachieving. They have a questionable 'team' but he has somehow got them into playoff contention. That stands for something. He is also an extremely young coach. As for getting the gig because he is mates with the owners?? Hypothetical - you run a business and you put a mate into manage it and then it buggers it up....you fire him. Basketball is the same. If he clearly stuffs it up....fire him but he hasn't.

Reply #461649 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Goodness me, Dale.

Literally every point you made was off the mark.

Reply #461650 | Report this post

Fake_name  
Years ago

Worst part is that DMac is an assistant.
2 great players pretending to be coaches.

Reply #461651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Due to the fact the season has been so up and down, dare i ask the haters, who is actually the best coach in the league right now? Certainly not saying it's Anstey, but has anybody really been consistent enough to be classed as doing a good job?

Reply #461656 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You can question how quickly he makes adjustments as he is still learning, but he has a lot of good qualities and he is helping his team have a pretty successful season.

For a large part of the season theyve been close to the best defensive team, and that shows the coaches are doing some quality work preparing the team.

Reply #461657 | Report this post

Fake_name  
Years ago

What utter rubbish. Defence from 2 of the least defensive players to have ever played for the Tigers and in the NBL.

Reply #461667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When is Dave Barlow coming back to run the point?

Reply #461668 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Well I wonder how much credit will be given to him for the improvement of Goulding, Tomlinson and Walker?

They look really good when they are winning but when they are trailing by double digits they look left wanting (wildcats game where wildcats scored 25 straight) I'm not sure if looking like they need an extra good player when their offence dries up is totally Anstey's fault as he never looks like he doesn't care or isn't trying.

Good luck to him but coach of the year - Shawn Dennis by a mile (developed players, has his team believing in his plays and has beaten every side). Has really turned pig shit into strawberry jam.

Reply #461681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A team is only as good as their last game.

Chris is 1000% correct as usual.

Going by the original post the Spurs should probably fire Pop as the way a coach handles post game pressers is the be all and end all of a coaches ability.

Reply #461683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@461644: Gleeson has coached in the playoffs every year but one of his 7 year career in Australia. I don't think that happens accidentally. I'd like to see Anstey attempt that.

Reply #461691 | Report this post

Fake_name  
Years ago

The improvement of Tomlinson and Goulding has come from both of those guys doing the extra work off the court together that they don't do at training sessions. Nothing to do with the coach at all.

Reply #461705 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You can't give Shawn Dennis coach of the year if his team is on the bottom of the ladder, Proud.

They have won a tonne of games for a wooden spoon side, and I agree coaching has not been top notch in this NBL season from anyone, but you can't give coach of the year to a wooden spooner.

Reply #461711 | Report this post

Stevie Wonder  
Years ago

Fake_name amen you hit the nail on the donkey lol

Reply #461727 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

@ Mick, yeah I know mate and that's the conundrum, I think we will look back on Townsville this season and look at it as where they came from before developing into top notch side, Blanchfield and Norton will get much better!

I'm saying Dennis is coach of the year but you can't give it to him, Gordie has overachieved but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that he won't develop any of his juniors and basically relies on 8 players every game.

I however think that Joey will get it simply for taking Adelaide from Wooden spooners to home playoff advantage

Reply #461736 | Report this post

Dale  
Years ago

How so statsheet stuffer? Please explain. Back up your statement. Sounds like you have a pretty good grasp with heavily backed up statements like that?? Come over to my place, I am building an idiot.

Reply #461782 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

1) Coaches have a media obligation and they know it, they are not forced. Doesn't mean to say him contradicting himself week to week is at all an issue, frankly I can't see how many would care

2) The Tigers aren't overachieving, they are under-achieving. I'm looking at their record, not their place on the ladder

3) The team is not questionable, it is quality from one through nine

4) People get positions through a 'who you know' basis all the time

5) I do agree with you on the performance bit though -- obviously if people don't perform you should have no choice but to keep them there.

6) Based on record and record alone, you have to say that the Tigers are underachieving. Therefore, the coach is seen to be underperforming also. Just the way it is. Not sure I agree with it, but that's the way coaching positions in sport are perceived -- it's either success (good job) or failure (bad job).

As for giving evidence or explanation, I really don't have time for that.

Reply #461788 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

*Don't know why I hyphenated 'underachieving'

Also one point five, "you should have no choice but to NOT keep them there".

Reply #461789 | Report this post

Bert  
Years ago

Joey wright to win coach of the year.
Heal and Anstey shouldn't win because they're imbeciles.

Reply #461812 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I can't see how Melbourne is underachieving. They have one genuine scoring threat and a lot of good role players.

Questioning the selection of Farrakhan is fair enough, because with a really good combo guard to replace Dennis this team would have that extra scoring/creating threat it needs.

Reply #461820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dale obviously doesnt know a lot about how most sporting events are run. It is expected and generally demanded that coaches appear at a post game conference after the game is concluded.
The Tigers players under the former coach didn't like the hard work that was demanded. Anstey stepped in and shafted Gleeson and said I can do it. Sucking up to his mates from dodo. No real coaching experience and equally DMac has the same. Both lazy rainers and that's reflected in their day to day work ethic. You right Dale they are over achieving and one of the reasons they are over achieving is because of the likes Goulding yesterday. Gouldings performance is based on hard work ethic that they don't get under Anstey.

Reply #461874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Listen Heal is flat lining and has been found out despite being given players like AJ, Madgen and ex NBAer Young.

Anstey is similar to Heal except he has rode the hot shooting Goulding for most of their wins. Take out Goulding's extremely hot form and what do you have? No playoffs.

Both dud coaches with at least one departing the other will stick around for a while but will eventually be found out as well.

Reply #461890 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:55 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754