Anonymous
Years ago

Chris Goulding drops 50 on the Kings

I thought such a massive achievement deserved it's own thread.

50pts, 6reb, 1ast, 3to

20/33 FG, 9/14 3p, 1/3 FT

Tigers won 92-82

Not sure we'll see another 50 point game in the NBL anytime soon especially if games stay as 40 min.

Topic #33918 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spoiler much? The game hasn't even been shown here in Perth.

Reply #461730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apologies I didn't think of it not being on TV yet in WA but at the same time, you would've known the game had already finished everywhere else in the country so might be an idea to wait to jump on a basketball forum until after you've seen it.

Reply #461733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I appreciate the apology. Usually I don't, but mostly hoops doesn't seem to have spoilers in the topic headlines, so sometimes I run the risk. Maybe a headline of "Goulding in the Kings game"?

Reply #461735 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

@anon Amazing that this post has spoiled it for you, its all over social media. You were going to find out sooner or later!

Reply #461737 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not usually a fan of spoiler efforts, but this might have alerted some people to tune in and see something special.

That was just unreal.

Reply #461750 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Fantastic performance. I wonder if it will inspire Rotnei, Ennis or Young to try and do something similar in the next couple of weeks.

Reply #461752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still enjoyed a great game. So all good. What a performance! Every quarter the Kings had no answer.

Reply #461756 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Never a need to apologize to someone who goes on a basketball forum, and doesnt expect to see a result.

50 in a 40 minute format is rediculous! This is the type of stuff the league needs to advertise, all fans of sport love seeing massive totals, goals kicked runs scored etc NBL need to run with this!

Reply #461758 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Phenomenal shooting display! Never thought i would ever see and individual 50 point game in the NBL.

^^^ Inspiration for rotnei and co? Inspiration is one thing but you need to be in one hell of a zone to shoot like goulding did

Reply #461762 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

In a league where every possession is at an absolute premium, you need to be hot from the get-go to register anything near 50. If you come out missing your first couple, you'll be forced to defer slightly by coach and teammates.

Reply #461763 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I was doubting we would ever see a 50pt game was great to see, we rarely get 40pt games let alone 50.

Reply #461764 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Yeah, I think Rotnei is the only other person capable of 50. And that would have to be on a very good day.

Reply #461770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

50 pts, great effort but what's this say about the defensive efforts of the Kings????????

Reply #461771 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

How many did Bobby Locke drop in his first game for Geelong?

Reply #461772 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

He dropped 49 and that was in the 48min days

Reply #461773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most Points - Individual

1.71 Al Green (West Adelaide) vs Frankston 25/05/84
2.63 Reg Biddings (Forrestville) vs Bankstown 12/04/81
3.61 Shane Heal (Brisbane) vs Townsville 23/09/94
4.60 Al Green (West Adelaide) vs Sydney 05/05/84
5.60 Andrew Gaze (Melbourne) vs Newcastle 11/07/87
6.59 Al Green (West Adelaide) vs Coburg 19/05/84
7.59 Andrew Gaze (Melbourne) vs Illawarra 27/07/91
8.58 Andrew Gaze (Melbourne) vs Newcastle 20/09/86
9.57 James Crawford (Perth) vs Melbourne 06/09/87
10.57 Wayne McDaniel (Hobart) vs Adelaide 18/08/89

Reply #461774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He dropped 49 and that was in the 48min days"

All depends as the NBL was 40 min games up until 1984.

Reply #461775 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Bobby Locke debuted in 1990 or 91.

Reply #461776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got the talent scouts buzzin. wont be surprised if he is in the NBA soon...

Reply #461778 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think there's any point matching off performances from the semi-pro days with today, it's not needed and doesn't do either of them justice.

Any huge scoring night is worth celebrating, and today Goulding joined the ranks that include Gaze, Green, Heal, Penney etc - all great players.

Reply #461780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Chris a free agent at the end of the season?

If so, Tigers probably messed up.

They may have been able to make some cash with some sort of euro style buyout deal.

Reply #461781 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Bobby Locke stepped off the plane and scored 50, not 49.

Played almost 47 of 48 minutes, 19/39 from the field, 10/13 from the line, a meagre 5 steals, for 50 points on debut. At only 5-9, the cat could score.

Reply #461791 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

@paul so feats of the past get treated in what way. The nba still salute Wilts 100 point game with all the hairs on that performance. The NBL should be proud of it diverse history. 1984 Al Green would rip the current NBL apart.

Anyone scoring 50+ regardless of game length has had a big night

Reply #461793 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Al Green had a helluva month in May '84!

Amazing performance from Goulding. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do for the Boomers.

Hopefully he isn't lost to the NBL after this season though. The league needs stars like him to stick around.

Reply #461794 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

because anyone who posts here should know not to include the outcome in the title header so someone can choose to come into the thread or not...

Reply #461798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't post the outcome in the title of the thread.

Reply #461801 | Report this post

Bert  
Years ago

@ Phil you're a bit slow there mate. We don't care about spoiler alert that was hours ago.
Lets enjoy gouldings achievement because it will be a while before we see a 50 point game again.

Reply #461803 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

I haven't watched the game yet but I have to ask..did the Kings defend him at all???

Reply #461805 | Report this post

Reggie  
Years ago

haha definitely the one time a spoiler is encouraged. I'd make a special effort to tune in to a game if there was a rare performance like today. Amazing stuff by goulding. Great crowd too.

Reply #461811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks NBL TV for the highlights. (Sarcasm)

People like myself who havent had a chance to watch it in full, and want to see history made, go to your highlights packages.

Thanks for showing only 6 of his field goals (One of those didnt even count.) Im really glad I got to see a handful of "nothing" plays from Sydney and I couldnt have lived without watching 24seconds of warmups and cheerleaders to start the highlight reel.

What are they even supplying the NBL with?

Reply #461815 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

KB3 said: @paul so feats of the past get treated in what way.

paul said: Any huge scoring night is worth celebrating.

What I don't like is trying to downplay one against another as they are all done in different circumstances. I think we should just celebrate each one for the great performance it is.

Reply #461818 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

^ isnt that the exact point of stats and scoring records to compare 1 performance to the other

Reply #461832 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

No he's saying celebrate them...not compare and rank them.

Statements like "84 al green would rip the current nbl apart" are just errant nonsense. No one played defense in the NBL until the mid 90s, which is why its hard to conpare eras.

Reply #461834 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If you compare them you really have to compare the circumstances because they have changed a lot, and Im not a fan of that as it just ends up downplaying one or the other depending on the view of the beholder.

Reply #461835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By that logic Wilt Chamberlains achievements should be disregarded because he was the biggest and most athletic player in the league

Reply #461858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

paul,

"What I don't like is trying to downplay one against another as they are all done in different circumstances. I think we should just celebrate each one for the great performance it is."

"I don't think there's any point matching off performances from the semi-pro days with today, it's not needed and doesn't do either of them justice."

You're the one downplaying past achievements by dismissing them as the 'semi-pro days'.

Reply #461865 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No, you're interpreting it that way. I think they should all be celebrated as great achievements.

Reply #461875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what is the top scorers list for 40mins only, i.e. 1979-1983 & 2012-present (pretty sure that date range is correct?).

1.63 Reg Biddings (Forrestville) vs Bankstown 12/04/81
?.????????
?.60 Chris Goulding (Melbourne) vs Sydney 09/03/141

Could be the #2 performance ever in 40mins. Wow.

Reply #461881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

er 50 not 60 lol

Reply #461882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL went back to 40 min games when BA took over, 2009/10.

Reply #461886 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

79-83 is correct for the first 40-minute era, though.

Also worth noting that as well as an extra eight minutes, 1984 introduced the three-point line.

Reply #461894 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Regardless of whether it's 48 or 40 mins 50 points in NBL is still a great achievement.
Goulding gives hope to alot of younger players, wasn't highly touted as a junior, startingas a developmentplayer, now at 25 he is amongst the NBL's best players, potential boomer and likely to end up well paid in Europe or even have a crack at the NBA

Reply #461895 | Report this post

Stevie Wonder  
Years ago

drop another 50 and then ill be impressed

33 shots wow

Reply #461896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks to Joey Wright Goulding was given a development spot with the Bullets. I remember back then many doubting why the spot was given to Goulding. Thank you Joey.

Reply #461898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did Reg Biddings score 63 in 40mins with no three point line. Boggles the mind.

Reply #461899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I assume he shot the ball every time down the court.

Reply #461900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reg also seemed quite good at getting to the line.

http://www.seabl.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/League_History/All_Time_Single_Game_Records_-_Men.pdf

30 Free Throws attempted in 1984!!!! (that helps getting you points total up if you can make a few)

The lack of free throws was probably part of what made Gouldings performance so amazing.

Reply #461901 | Report this post

FAST4U  
Years ago

Great achievement. He was sinking 3's left, right, and centre. Best shooting display I've seen in the NBL since Gaze.

Reply #461913 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

@Mick i think you may be a little off there. Some of the best defensive players existed in the 80's

Loggins was still good enough to be on the Olympic team in 1992. I would suggest that he 1984 ( 27 years old) version was faster , stronger and more athletic. And Al was a superior scorer to him

Bubbles 50 was a great effort but to disregard past champions of the game show a lack of respect. Saying these guys played in a semi pro time smacks of ignorance toward their ability and achievements.

Reply #461921 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Look at it this way: yes, the defenders were semi-pros. But so were the scorers.

What difference does it make? They'd both be terrible if they played today (unless you assumed their training would upgrade to match the era), but they didn't play today.

Reply #461922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great shooting - really has come of age this season, he will be on the radar of a few scouts - incredible talent but needs yo bulk up a bit and get better on d to take the game to the next level - perhaps a season or two in Europe would be a benefit
Hope he can make the show at the boomers camp

Reply #461931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does he have to bulk up?

He is not a bodybuilder or a powerlifter...

He is a basketball player, and a guard at that.

Rudy Fernandez does great in europe and was serviceable in the nba without "bulk".

Patty Mills has improved since slimming down this season.

Ray Allen...

Rip Hamilton...

Reggie Miller....

Chris Goulding if you're are reading this forum, please don't bulk up, just keep doing what you have been doing.

Reply #461955 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

How accurate is that top ten scorers list up there?
Didn't scott fisher score 60 odd for the giants in the late 80's?

Reply #461959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti Nagy setting a few straight on being so dismissive of the NBL's all-time greats of the past:

THERE was a time when the NBL was full of great shooters.

And even before that, Australian basketball consistently produced players with spectacular shooting prowess from range and off the screen for the jumpshot.

Whether it was a Werner Linde banging in 50 in a club fixture in SA, or Eddie Ceplitis hitting 52, or Eddie Palubinskas leading the scoring at the 1976 Olympics after finishing second in 1972, or Kenny Cole cleaning up the VBA, Australia consistently produced great shooters before the NBL was even conceived.

There were the overlap players such as Tony Barnett and Andris Blicavs before the new breed of fill-it-up shooters such as Michael Johnson and Darryl Pearce hit the scene.

That's even before the Andrew Gaze, Shane Heal era. So it begs the question.

What’s happened to all our great shooters?

With the utmost respect to Chris Goulding and his phenomenal 50-point game yesterday, we used to see a lot more of those in days gone by.

OK. First up, a lot of people with no idea of shooters of bygone eras will trot out how much defence has improved, or even the ridiculous "no-one played defence in the NBL" early years.

Yeah. Right. Try telling Ray Wood, or Phil Smyth, or Leroy Loggins, or Terry Dozier or Peter Ali or a dozen others that “no-one played defence” in the NBL.

That is such utter BS.

As offensive skills have evolved, so too have defensive, no question. In fact, defences had to resort to holding, bumping, scragging and wrestling to keep abreast of the offensive explosion - a tendency which makes a lot of today’s viewers believe “defence was so much better”.

Understand this. Defence had to be good. Or A. Gaze would get one of his 13 50-plus games on you. Or Al Green would carve you up.

So again, what’s happened to all the great shooters?

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/round-about-nbl-21/

Reply #461970 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

This is only a thought as I have not checked stats to back this up but with the added depth in all teams today compared to the past the great players of yesteryear had the chance to take many more FGA on a regular basis than those of today. Now shots are shared between more players on the team. Percentages are probably similar but not the amount of shots taken.

I wonder if anyone has the time and info to check the FGA per game of say Gaze, Green and compare that to Goulding this year.

Also Boti drags out 2 players (eg Blicavs, Barnett) from a period of a quite a few years and then tries to compare them to today. He talks them up as great shooters but what were their percentages compared to for example CJ, Ingles, Mills, Newley, Goulding, Madgen, Gliddon, Matt Campbell, hell even Sav, DJ, Kickert, Andersen, Ronaldson. All of whom played in a similar period of time.

Of course Gaze was a rare case but my guess would be that many of those I have listed above , given the volume of shot attempts that the players in the past had, could have put up similar or better numbers.

He talks up Palubinskas international scoring but forgets that Mills has done similar( well in reality probably a lot more).

Reply #462009 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Would you have Pearce or Goulding shoot for your life?

Back in the day were better shooters in general ( see the video getting about where Mark Jackson woops Steph Curry?) Todays team shooting at 40% is acceptable where as back then sub 45% was a disaster

Todays player is better at getting to the rim and finishing with either hand

Todays player will take riskier jump shots rather than deferring to an alternative.

Of course the scouting is superior to yesteryear and so player's tendencies are easily discovered and worked on by the d to create a harder environment for the offence to operate within

Reply #462017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What people forget is the one biggest factor to change the game.....the change from a 30 second shot clock to 24. It could be argued that the 24 sec shot clock has forced teams to get more shots up (hence more scoring opportunities for an individual) or alternatively, it was easier to score under the 30sec rule due to extra fatigue on the defence. The extra 6 secs is an eternity in bball after you've been busting your arse for 24. My feeling is the latter. It amazes me how this is readily forgotten in the debate between old time scorers and todays players.

Reply #462053 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

KB3 - that video is an anomaly. People get hot.

Steph Curry is statistically the best shooter of ALL TIME in the NBA.

Mark Jackson shot 33% for his career from deep: several seasons of which had the shorter three point line.

Saying people were "better shooters back in the day" is just complete nonsense that is entirely unfounded or supported by any statistical evidence whatsoever.

Reply #462061 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

I don't need stats evidence I have my eyeballs

Reply #462069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fstos.. sigh... You missed the point of Boti's article altogether.

Palubinskas should be talked up. Mills should also be talked up. Ingles should be talked up and... well... Loggins..Ronaldson..Green.. They are all worth talking up because they were/are all guns. Period!!!

Stop trying to find arguments where there are none. It's childish and counter-productive.

To bring us back to the point of the thread, Chris Goulding, we salute you! Great stuff buddy!

Reply #462073 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

His performance can't have been that good or else someone would have said he was in beast mode.

Reply #462075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was in beast mode, and had a video-game stat line.....
Situation is that enough hipster-style cliché for ya?

Reply #462078 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

"I don't need stats evidence I have my eyeballs".

Are these the same infallible eyeballs that "saw" Mark Jackson is a better shooter than Steph Curry?

Reply #462080 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Reminds me of the time I got into an argument with a guy who insisted three-point percentage was a bad way to measure three-point shooting ability, because Ray Allen was the best shooter in the league but the statistics said Anthony Morrow was better, therefore the statistics are flawed.

Reply #462126 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Koberulz... who ever you were having that debate with needs to be sterilized

Reply #462508 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:03 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754