Anonymous
Years ago

WNBL Grand Final

What a fabulous game!! How good if Griffin? What a great game for Kristy to retire on. Congrats Bendigo

Topic #33919 | Report this topic

Big T  
Years ago

Fantastic game, the pace it was played at in the third quarter especially was great. Would of left the casual watcher wanting more.

The Grand Final was a super advertisement for women's basketball. Hope my Boomers can win it all next season!

Oh yeah, Griffin is nothing short of incredible.

Reply #461786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if she can be naturalised in time for Olympics!! HA HA

Reply #461790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just imagine you were coaching a team and your daughter happened to be playing on the team. And every time there was a time out she would interrupt and shriek instructions to her team-mates while you were trying to speak to your players.

Reply #461795 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Kristi was pretty obsessed in timeouts with their offense against Townsville's phantom 1-3-1 zone which was equally annoying and funny.

The refereeing wasn't great per usual, but the standard of play was high for the majority of the game. Townsville played well, but props to Bendigo and, in particular, Griffin on a spectacular performance.

Reply #461797 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

She even took the marker out of Dad's hand and took over the instructions a couple of times! Point guard = on court coach..........not head coach!

Reply #461804 | Report this post

Years ago

Try to work out the odds of another back to back MVP that is from Alaska - well done kelsey

Reply #461806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A report in the Bendigo Advertiser said that Griffin applied for permanent residency last Thursday. Imagine an Opals front court of LJ, Liz and Griffin!

Reply #461821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kristy knows far more about the game than Bernie.

Reply #461822 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's not uncommon in sport for senior players to have a lot to say, and it isnt an issue if theyre singing off the same hymn sheet as the coach.

And Kelsey Griffin? Gday mate, welcome aboard!

Reply #461826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope Brendan Joyce does not start filling the opals with players who have not done the hard yards as Australians, Kelsey is a good player but if she was really that great the Americans or Canadian as I can't remember where she's from would surely snap her up. We already have Mitchell who has played all her basketball in America looking to join the ranks at least her mum was Australian. No offence to these players but I think if your born and bred in the country you represent that's great, but when your not and you take spots from those that have worked their backsides off for their whole careers just to get the chance to represent their country it's not right.

Reply #461831 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

How annoying were those goddamn vuvuzelas??

Reply #461836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If shes good enough n fits the team chmistry ...u take her

Reply #461837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you sure the permanent residency isn't to do with Chelsea Aubry; there was an article on her late last week in the Bendigo Advertiser and in it she mentions she is in the process of obtaining permanent residency:

*Aubry's parents, Rick and Shelley, recently returned home to Canada after visiting their daughter in the Goldfields city she has embraced on and off the court.

She has bought a house in Spring Gully, started her first full-time job outside of basketball working for PEAK Sport, and is in the process of obtaining permanent residency here.

"Yes, I have set down some roots," she laughs.*

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/2134818/competitive-spirit/

Reply #461848 | Report this post

panther nation  
Years ago

don't know if griffin would be quick enough for parker / delle donne in the 3/4 spot

Reply #461850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was the Aubry article but last night there was this as well.

Griffin has the winning Spirit By ADAM BOURKE March 9, 2014, 7:56 p.m.
Grand final MVP Kelsey Griffin revealed after the game that last Thursday she applied for permanent residency in Australia.

"I sent off my distinguished talent visa on Thursday, so I'm really trying hard to get permanent residency,'' Griffin said.

"So if there's anyone out there that wants to help and give a shout out to immigration that I do help out the country, I'd really appreciate it,'' Griffin added with a chuckle.

Griffin has repeatedly said that playing for Bendigo the past two years has reignited her passion for basketball.

Despite being in a position to command big money to play in Europe, the Connecticut Sun WNBA forward would dearly love to continue with the Spirit.

"I love it in Bendigo, I love playing with my team-mates,'' she said.

"This team really motivates me.

"I feel very lucky that I have the chance to play in Bendigo with the Spirit."

It would appear that Griffin has "fallen in love" with Bendigo and all reports are that she fits into a team environment very well. She mentioned that her partner and her (the partner's) parents were in the stands so maybe a relationship has something to do with it as well. If she becomes eligible to represent Oz and Joyce thinks she is good enough and will fit in then so be it. By the way Kelsey hails from Alaska so is American not Canadian.

Reply #461867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks for that article - hadn't seen it before.

Reply #461869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There aren't enough positions for the younger talent coming through the ranks as it is, it's unfair for those aspiring to reach wnbl level and then onto Opals to have compete with imports as well.

Reply #461871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If she is classified as an ausssie and is good enough to make the team then great.

She has had 2 awesome finals series since she has been in the country which shows she can rise to the big occasion.

Negatives may include;
No all star 5 selection yet

Career 45% fg shooter and 29.5% from 3

Is she a 4 or 3 at the next level and does she shoot well enough so space the floor for the likes of Liz

4th forward in mvp voting this season which doesn't include players playing abroad

By the time she can play for the Opals Will she be on the downside of her career and should we look at bringing younger players through the program.

It is hard not to love how hard she plays though.

Reply #461879 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Isn't there a limit of one naturalised player in the Opals?
If so, to me the guard spots are the team's more pressing need, so Mitchell gets the spot.

Reply #461911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am no lawyer but just read the FIBA regs and I believe that Mitchell will not count as a naturalised player as she has dual nationality and was not "called up" by the US. That means she is free to choose Australia as her country for international play. Remember the angst when Dandenong signed her as what many thought was a "third" import? It was explained to us that due to her dual nationality she was not an import so that should mean there is still a spot for a naturalised player.
As for not being high in MVP voting/All Star that is difficult when you play on a team that shares the load so well. You would want the Opals to be the same as it does not matter what the sport is, if the team spreads the load then opposition teams are always going to find it difficult to "scout" and shut you down. The best relay teams I swam on always had at least 5 if not 6 guys striving for selection and that depth drives performance (providing the coach can manage any egos). You only have to look at the depth in the US to see the effect.
Similarly when wondering whether she is a 3 or 4, you are always better off when players can perform more than one role and her athleticism, work ethic and desire are things you don't find in the one package all that often.
She has played in 4 big matches here (yes all on home court) and delivered in spades in all 4. She plays with calm air of superiority without lapsing into arrogant cockiness so she might not even fit into the US team!! The Addy ran a story a few weeks ago about Sara Blicavs and she raved about how hard Kelsey was working with her even though they are effectively fighting for the same game time. I could not care less if the Yanks don't want/need her she would be great for the Opals.

Reply #461918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the great grand finals, Townesville killed themselves at the start of the last qtr with a brief dry spell which ended their chances.

Gabe Richards was disappointing had no impact for most of the game and I can't see her working well in the Opals.

Griffin and Suzy were remarkable.

Anyone think Mia Newly deserves a spot at the Opals camp. I think there's a spot there for a pitch hitter off the bench to run off screens and knock down shots. She has the quickest release in the WNBL.

Reply #461924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's "unfair" for junior talent to have to COMPETE to earn a spot in our highest side?
Anon you are a fool!

Reply #461998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read the post dickhead, of course they have to compete but against Australians who have worked hard to get to thst level. I don't care if they have imports for wnbl but not for national teams. I don't agree with becoming naturalized or citizens so they can represent australia.

Reply #462153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The country is going to shit over 1 million temp work visa now a Distinguished Talent visa come in if your good and we will put you in the National Team.

Reply #462160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I sent off my distinguished talent visa on Thursday, so I'm really trying hard to get permanent residency,'' Griffin said.

Below taken from australian goverment site (http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/124.aspx)

The Distinguished Talent visa (subclass 124) lets you live permanently in Australia if you have an internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in:

a profession
a sport
the arts
academia and research.
You must be outside Australia when this visa is granted.

Reply #462162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they're that good why aren't they playing in the states, just asking.

Reply #462178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree if they are that good let them play for there country of birth, giving spots away to players from other countries takes away opportunities for those who have worked there hearts out with that goal of representing their country. This attitude 'if she's good enough take them' leaves nothing for loyalty, there are just as good and many times better players that are home grown. What are we doing buying teams now !!!
All credit if they want to call Australia home because they like it here, but don't come taking spots away from real Australians , if Brendon Joyce has any sense and also and ethics he will keep the AUSTRALIAN Opals just that, Australian.

Reply #462245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aaaaah, so they can become Australian, just not "real Australian"...

Reply #462291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

462178 - Kelsey started all 34 games for the Suns for 25.4 mpg, 8.7 ppg and 5 rpg. Just for comparison O'Hea didn’t start a single game and averaged 13.7 mpg, 3 ppg and 1.7 rpg. As for taking "real" Aussie’s spots I have a couple of points.
Firstly I don’t think Kelsey wants to move here to get an easy ride to an Olympic medal. In the lead-up to the GF last year the Addy ran an article featuring her parents.
“This is the happiest I’ve seen Kelsey since she’s been playing in the professional ranks,’’ Jan said.
“Kelsey had only been in Bendigo two days, we Skyped and her eyes were bright blue and she was so happy.
“We won’t have to talk Kelsey into coming back,’’ Jan said. “She’s loved it.”
Moving to live in another country and leaving behind friends and family is not something you are going to do lightly. Is the suggestion she can live here, work here and most importantly pay taxes here but can’t fully participate in life here? FIBA have the one naturalised player rule to stop wholesale nation swapping so let’s not go overboard. Secondly, as well as thinking about the player who may miss out you need to consider the ones that will go and what they deserve. I am reminded of a guy who used to think he deserved a relay spot irrespective of his training efforts or performance simply because he had been around the club for longer than others. The top 3 had put in a lot of work and deserved the next best swimmer on the team. Provided Mitchell and Griffin meet all the same selection criteria such as performance, camp attendance, adherence to team rules/culture etc then they go. Remember the play where Griffin dived full length to knock the ball out of bounds? She must have known she was no chance of taking possession and in a practical sense would do no more than take a couple of seconds off the Fire’s clock but the mental impact would have been much more significant. She sent a very clear message to her opponents that she was prepared to do everything in her power to get her team over the line. If your leading scorer is prepared to do such “blue collar” work then other teams are going to find it damn hard to beat you. If she does go to Rio then I am quite sure that her “real Aussie” teammates will be glad to know she is prepared to bleed for them and they won’t care one whit that she is doing it for her “adopted country” because they will know her first loyalty will be to them.

Reply #462314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.bendigoweekly.com.au/news/griffin-to-call-bendigo-home

Reply #462321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Check this out for a laugh!
http://www.bendigoweekly.com.au/news/fire-claims-first-title-as-spirit-falters
You would think that a Bendigo paper would have firstly more faith and secondly the nouse not to put the story up on line!

Reply #462325 | Report this post

stop press  
Years ago

LOLarama

Reply #462326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Kelsey griffin should be allowed to play for Australia, she needs to go play for America, the amount of players on the opals roster already leaves no space for her, what they have are better to be honest.

Reply #462328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree. When will the free agents list be online?

Reply #462333 | Report this post

Dale  
Years ago

Kristi is the court general and can feel the tempo better than the coach. She probably had a play that she felt could work next time down the floor. Funny if her Dad took offense and got out the wooden spoon.

Reply #462357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They know each other extremely well being father/daughter and they've said plenty of times that they feed and learn off of each other, everyone knows to listen to what Kristi has to say and at the same time she sits back and lets Bernie do his job.

As for better players than Kelsey Griffin in the 3/4 positions for Australia? Ha... Yeah, bet you can rattle off 10, right?

I'd bring her on board the moment I could, the way she plays and her work ethic are second to none.

Reply #462411 | Report this post

Grant  
Years ago

Browsing around and saw this on a forum.

http://www.huskers.com/AudioArchives.wvx?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=100&ARCHIVE_AUDIO_ID=251102

Starts about just under a third into the clip (interview).

Can tell by the way she speaks that she's really enjoys playing/being here and in Bendigo/Australia playing.

Reply #462684 | Report this post

Grant  
Years ago

http://www.bendigoweekly.com.au/news/spirit-mvp-to-stay-on-three-year-deal

Reply #462789 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Little old now but she's also now an official PEAK sport ambassador now.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/2151334/griffin-wins-spirits-best-player-award/?cs=2459

Congrats to her, would love her in the green and gold for Rio.

Reply #467629 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Actually met Kelsey and her (Australian) fiancé recently. Seemed a nice girl and she said she had signed up for another 3 years at Bendigo, which happens to be where her fiancé is from.

Reply #467633 | Report this post

Glenn  
Years ago

Done and dusted it seems now, didn't think she was THAT serious.

http://tinyurl.com/l4xdm6w

Reply #473009 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:24 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754