Getgolducdi
Years ago

GIRLS 18 Nationals

The Thread has been started. How will these Girls go? They should on paper bring back Gold but will they? Will they be focus as a team or will they had they own agendas? Are they tough enough? Will the Coaches be able to keep the team on track and Gel together? Damian will he succeed because the pressure is one him too? If SA can take out the Under 18 Girls Classic 1st and 2nd we must have the talent here or was it just great coaching? All will be answered in a couple of weeks. Good Luck Girls and work TOGETHER remember
Together Everyone Achieves More and it is a TEAM game.

Topic #3393 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

the girls are great together, they all get along and are very focused.

Reply #39023 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I agree. What happpens will happen. Hopefully they have a good week and bring home gold.

Reply #39024 | Report this post

stimulator  
Years ago

did a sth australian team win the u18 classics?

Reply #39026 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

After the classic results and on paper if they do not win it all they can consider themselves as having failed dismally...

Reply #39063 | Report this post

Coach D  
Years ago

The two teams that played off in the Classics finals only had 2 members of the SA Metro team. So the result hardly guarentee's a Gold.

The Nationals is a tough tournament to win. We have a grerat group of kids who have a good shot. But in that kind of tournament anything can happen. Injuries, a bad shooting game, another team gettign hot, etc, etc.

Let the kids enjoy their Championships without the unnecessary pressure of over expectations from nobpdy on a forum. They are only kids.

Good luck to all the teams Metro and Country at the coming Natioanls.

Reply #39064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so true Coach D. Just get out there and enjoy it!

Reply #39065 | Report this post

Coach D  
Years ago

So Trex,

how did you go at the last Nationals that you played at. Did you "fail dismally." Or were you just not good enough to start with.

Reply #39068 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

How many sa metro girls played in that grand final?

Why would a classics grand final appearance by two teams boasting a whole 1 SA Metro player each be a fair guide for a state side?

Reply #39069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't Vic Metro win the 16 girls in 2003. By 20 odd??

Why would SA be favorite??

As has already been said, anyone can win but the Vic's have the score on the board.

Reply #39080 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

The SA team are favourites cos they hav a better team than 2003- abby and cayla played for sa country in tassie. Is abby playing?

Reply #39087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no she is going to be at the world games with the gems unfortunately.

Reply #39095 | Report this post

with the results at classics and names in the SA metro team list the girls this year looks ready to take down the vics from their golden perch....good luck to u guys and damian and hopefully we'll see u with gold medals when u get back!

Reply #39101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Metro girls have the sweetest draw seen at a Nationals in years. Expect them to cruise through the rounds winning by 20+ points per game.

The biggest danger could be meeting Vic Metro in the semi. Vic Metro wont be as strong this year, and will have to battle hard to get through in the super tough other half of the draw.

A tough semi against NSW Country is most likely with the game likely to go down to the wire.

Final against Vic Metro.

Reply #39103 | Report this post

Jazz  
Years ago

SA MEtro, hot favourites.

SA Metro has strengthened its team considerably since 2003.

SA has the form on the board. Vic Metro has been weakened with Gems duty and now major injury issues.

If the Vics can't be knocked off their perch this year then they can rightfully take the perch home and keep it for good, but I don't think that will happen.

Look out for NSW country to surprise...

Reply #39107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who does Vic Metro have injured?

Reply #39117 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

When are the Nationals anyway?

I think that Vic Metro will take it out. I don't know much about the 18 girls but going by what I've heard from others it will be a strong team.

Good luck to the girls.

Reply #39137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It should be a very interesting tournament. SA have lost Abby Bishop to the Junior Australian team which was a fantastic effort for her. Vic Metro however, also lost Louella Tomlinson to the same team which will be a huge loss for the Vics. From the 16's, Vic metro has lost their point gaurd Emma Andrews (ACL injury and is due to return later this year) Hayley Munrow (with an achilles problem I believe). Elyse Penaluna who dominated as a first year in the 18's pulled out of the team so SA have a good chance with so many Vic players missing. Lets hope Leah, Nikki, Mia and my favourite player Cayla stand up to the test. It would be great to see those girls come home with the gold. It will be tough but surely have the strength to do it. Play well and enjoy yourselves!!

Reply #39153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True about there being injuries affecting the Vic Metro girls although I dont know about Munro, there are rumours that she will be fine to play or at least right for the last part of the week. Even so, this happening it still looks like the Vics will have a very strong team and will come home against SA. Cayla will play a big part in what happens and if Leah can take charge and run the team smoothly they will be competitive against the Vics. But after saying this they both need to get into the final first, there are some tough teams in the mist of the other pools. But it will still be too close to call though...and who ever brings there 'A' game on the day will win. All will be revealed very soon and cant wait to see what happens!

Reply #39154 | Report this post

Jazz  
Years ago

Munro is definetly out, and another is now doudtful...first up against NSW country will tell the tale.

Every little bit helps...

Reply #39173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who else is doubtful? who is taking Munro's place.

Reply #39179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They may only bring 9 to Perth, that is how bad the injury/illnes issue has become..two emergencies injured after coming into team...

Reply #39180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how you know this info about munro? are you 100% certain?

Reply #39218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have heard that Munro will be at the nationals in Perth for sure. How much she will suit up and play in, i dont know. It all depends on how well she recovers when it gets closer to the date on whether how much she will be playing in. I have heard she is just resting it for the moment and will be ready for the nationals.

Reply #39223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

prob just the vics just playing themselves down before the tourney.

Reply #39232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

although they arent' are very strong team....id like to see how NSW metro fair....ellie manou (first year AIS scholarship) should dominate and to watch her and cayla battle it out would be money well spent...good luck SA Metro...go for gold! :)

Reply #39239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that Ellie Manou is out of the championships. I heard that she hurt her foot and has been in a cast, so i think u can rule her out of the nationals. Wouldve been good to watch if she was playing.

Reply #39242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So does this mean that all the girls from the AIS that were able to play at nationals cant now because of all different reasons??
Manou: foot
Tomlinson: GEMS
Bishop: GEMS
Munro: apparently achillies???
Schatz: GEMS

Whats going on here., are they running these girls into the ground.

Reply #39244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSW Metro are not very strong this year with no Manou or Samuels.

I too wondered about the AIS players all being injured or unavailable.

Cayla Francis is going to dominate big time.

Reply #39250 | Report this post

greenhill girl  
Years ago

i heard about Manou's foot...would of been good to see her kick ass in Perth...well the nationals should be very interesting...with a lot of teams missing key players, will the championships be sub-standrad to previous years...or the best chance to watch SA metro dominate? [not taking away from the teams depth and talent of course...coz im sure we all know they've got plenty of it!]

Reply #39255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im sure it will be a good nationals and who ever wins im sure it will be well deserved. It is no good that key players of most teams wont be able to play. But it will allow other players in the teams to step up and to really show what they have got!

Reply #39264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mencel - Gems?

Reply #39274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no mencel has been out of the gems squad since the beginning of the year. Munro is out for sure. Not attending the championships at all.

Reply #39321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well who will replace McLeod if she is out. Mencel or Francis would be strong considerations.

Reply #39326 | Report this post

leah will most probably be returning to the institute next year [she came back to focus on year 12]...and I'd imagine that cayla would be heading over to canberra as well judging on her form this year...hopefully both girls will make GEMS...and maybe the GEMS championships won't be held on the same week as nationals next year! good luck to all SA teams this week...especially 18G metro...hot favourites I hear...bring home the gold guys!!!

Reply #39398 | Report this post

Duuhhhh  
Years ago

No Gems next year, held every 4 years, she may be a little over the age cutoff by then

Reply #39403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

actually Gems are every two years now.

Reply #39420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does anyone happen to know where the under 18 boys and girl nationals are being held next year?

Reply #41937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide

Reply #41980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks!

Reply #42002 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:27 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754