Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers v Wildcats Fri 14

The Invasion of the Body Floppers

What a massive game this will be. Minor Premiers Perth lob into Adelaide in a classic 1 v 2 struggle. While some may consider this a dead rubber due to it having no result on standings, try telling these teams "it's just another day in the office". The BSA grand finals are on that night so while we might not see many Sturt kids and their parents in the crowd, their places will be taken by plenty of other Adelaide fans. The caterers better bring in some bigger chip friers, because unless you’re Jay Marshall on the election trail, there’s no excuse not to be at the Arena. In fact, both Jay Weatherill and Steven Marshall have got very good reasons to be at the Arena to snatch last minute votes and I reckon the Silver Fox would roll out the Wallis Courtside Seats - provided they bring their cheque book!

This game may be a game of halves. A franatic first half to test the resolve of the other team before a more serene second half of cat and mouse between the coaching staff. Let's not forget a game of basketball is not just one or two rounds. Perth fans will be looking for some more minutes for their 10th man, whereas the Adelaide 10th man starts. No court time for the Surfer and Simmsy tonight. Last time Perth played at the Arena Ennis had three epic failed dunks. When you have an open court and the dunk bounces out, well you don’t want that on your NBA highlight reel. There’s no doubt Perth look for the 3 as the answer to scoring. That’s something the Sixers will need to cover if they want to tame those Wildcats. The Sixers transition game has been superb this year with a number of slower and less skilled teams resorting to the jersey grab to slow things down. Will we see that tonight? Course not, The Wildcats are an honourable, clean team – no dirty tactics from them.

The big question tonight is not who will win because that ultimate question will be asked in a few weeks time, but the big question on all fans lips is how many flops can Redhage and Martin drop before they get a warning from the refs. Rumour has it the Italian Soccer team is now watching game tapes in order to perfect their technique going into the new World Cup. I hope we can get the Sponge Bob theme played for every flop.

It would be remiss of me not to pick a winner and tonight that would be the sport of basketball...… Go The Sixers!

Topic #33936 | Report this topic

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

U must have alot ove time on ure hands, cats should just put the bench on and just wrap up the starters in cotton wool. Don't think perth will be out to win in this one, finished on top, why risk an injury for a game that don't mean anything for both teams realy?

Reply #462259 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I'm thinking it will be more a game of quarters, four in fact.

Reply #462260 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Cats, you may be right. It think the first half will be very tight with lots of action. Second half might see more bench players and the gap pretty stable as both coaches have a strategic plan.

Neither team would won't want to show the other team any new plays, nor risk an injury.

"just wrap up the starters in cotton wool" well we do know the Cats are pretty fragile, so I guess we can organise some cotton wool, bubble wrap or nerf if you like. Should we organise some mums to wrap them up, kiss them better and say "there, there"?

Reply #462275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go Sixers! There needs to be payback for that 20+ point flogging in Perth last time.

Fire up Joey!

Reply #462278 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Does Gleeson have the balls to limit Ennis' minutes leading up to the playoffs?

I have my doubts (not that I'd blame Trevor).

Reply #462279 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Yea bubble wrap is better at least redhage will get straight up again!! Soft? At least we don't cry after every call! Hope u guyz have some baby sitters there for joey and ervin and co? If not will send some with the boys

Reply #462280 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I think the Sixers will be looking for revenge after their embarrassing performance (during and post match) last time these teams met.

Reply #462281 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Predictions:

Gary Ervin to complain
DJ to not play defence

Hire to ask Ervin permission every time he shoots the ball
Redhage to be legitimately fouled and the crowd still call for a flop

Boti Nagy to be a twat on twitter

Reply #462287 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

@ jack toft, another classic write up there only you can take the piss and get away with it.
I'm sure both teams will be going for the win but taking it easy.
We should definitely wrap Damo in cotton wool can't risk an injury. Adelaide should win by 5-10 points

Reply #462288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

About sums it up alexkrad!!!

Reply #462289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And then the clubs so called supporters to get on here and bag there best player for pulling his shorts all the time.

Reply #462290 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Flop Redhage.
Floppage
Shaun Redflop.

Sorry Jake, beat you to it.

Reply #462294 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Further to alexkrad's predictions:

Wright to stare down the Perth assistants
Schenscher to miss open buckets

Redhage to flop
Redhage to play legal defense and the crowd still call for a flop
Wagstaff to flop

Martin to come up with a crazy block, steal or hustle play
Redhage to flop

Reply #462301 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Now now The Situation, don't be a Dip Wit......

Reply #462302 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

You got me @the situation. I am now sweating like a gypsy with a mortgage as you took away my best work. We know your CEO likes a photo and tweet so maybe he can tweet some action shots of the flopster doing what he does best.

Reply #462310 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Do you keep forgetting your CEO started the unprofessional tweets?

Reply #462311 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Hahahaha....Perth fans make me laugh!

Reply #462380 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

so much love...

peace pipe anyone?

or is it too late to offer?

either way itll be huge!

Game of the season is beckoning...

Go sixers!

Reply #462385 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

"Course not, The Wildcats are an honourable, clean team - no dirty tactics from them."

Alright, I'll admit: if you were to map the NBL onto Game of Thrones, we would surely be the Lannisters :P

Reply #462389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How good is it to have a decent 36ers Wildcats rivalry again. Lovin the comments...jus Keep it above the belt boys.

Reply #462397 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

How good is it to have a decent Sixers team again? Its been a while ;-)

Reply #462400 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ I dunno, in hindsight I probably wouldn't have minded if we had stuck with the status quo for a while.

Reply #462405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I was perth id go all out this game then rest the stars vs wollongong

Reply #462409 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It was late in the evening and I tried to recall the events...The clock strikes eight..bong!..,,,
The article was illustrated with a photo of redhage playing, above the caption " Shaun Flophage; What's in a name?"
Ervin ,like a superbeing from somewhere else, made 20points , 8/9 shooting in only 17minutes , saturday......
tovey and weigh have gone and things are a little bit exciting now.

Reply #462413 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Flophage. You people really need to pay more attention to how things would be pronounced.

Just try and walk around saying "Floffage" and see how long it takes before you're locked up in a loony bin.

Reply #462438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel lay off the crack please.

Let's smash Wildcats and then Heal or a bumper double win this weekend!

Reply #462484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How are ticket sales? Sellout?

Reply #462488 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Good to see ten and nine news at the airport to meet perth. Gleeson:"Of course we're expecting a hostile enviroment when we are in this teams stadium.Let's hope it's worthy of a final."

Reply #462495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loathe Perth and there arrogant fan base, hope we smash them. Liked Ennis at the start of the year, now im just sick of his muscle flex celebrtation after every......single...... made basket.

Reply #462575 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Either way, lets hope tonight is a good, tough, but fairly clean game of basketball and may the 36ers....ok I'll be diplomatic....best team win.

Diplomatic my arse. Go the 36ers!!!!!!

I think with all the crap that happened after the last time Adelaide and Perth played each other both teams, from the coaches to the players and club management, will be on notice to be on their best behaviour tonight. They say any publicity is good publicity, but I doubt the NBL or either club will want a repeat of last time.

But as a 36ers fan I hope we sent those pussies back to Perth with a rather large headache and a lot to think about.

Reply #462584 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

No team can beat perth on there nyt, take tonights game, dont think they will win u guyz can have it the pussy cats finished top so not much to play other than the bench getting court time!

Reply #462598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers with the best home record in the league, even better than the Cats. I wouldn't discount Adelaide at home.

Reply #462602 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

@Cats for Life. - "nothing to play for" that's bullshit!

These are professional basketball players! They didn't get to this level without being competitive and playing to win. You are just trying to cover your backside because Sixers WILL win.

Reply #462618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Psychological Edge going into finals - pure and simple, not to mention the passion involved given the last game.

Both teams MUST bring it, and bring it hard, or go home to bed!

Looking forward to the game. I obviously want Sixers to win, but at this stage probably 55% of me thinks the Cats may win. God I hope that 55% of me is incorrect!

Bring it on!

ShaneD

Reply #462620 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"Psychological Edge going into finals - pure and simple, not to mention the passion involved given the last game."

You think that the winner of this game puts themselves in a better position to take home the title?

Reply #462635 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

It really is a meaningless dead rubber.
At least there's AFL back on tonight.

Reply #462642 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

If Adelaide and Perth end up in a finals' series, the first game of that series is likely to be the one that will decide the outcome. If tonight's game is a convincing win to either team, it will be a massive psychological boost for that team going into that first final.

If anyone feels that Trevor Gleeson doesn't understand that well enough to care about how the Wildcats approach tonight's game, they're sorely mistaken.

Reply #462643 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Keep in mind that the Breakers lost to Perth in the final round last season in a dead rubber. They barely got out of second gear and lost convincingly. That turned out ok for them.

Reply #462645 | Report this post

peterward  
Years ago

Here's a hint to all Adelaide fans.

After the game check the NBL ladder and see if you can work out who is on the top.

Reply #462672 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

But,
lets' hope the NBL staff didn't go home for the weekend and leave the LIVESTATS for 4 important games, in an absolute 0-0 mess.
Please!

Reply #462674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl live not working. No surprise there.

Reply #462680 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

Ervin = flopper

Reply #462681 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Hey Jake, Gary Flopvin hahahahahaha

Reply #462682 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

To be fair to Ervin, I think that was more like a dive than a flop

Reply #462683 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Jumping all over the place, Livestats,
sometimes we get 1 minute then the old 0-0 thing again.
At least with 3 games, it keeps you really busy!

Reply #462685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is this not live on NBL.TV, I don't care if One/Ten is delayed it should be live on NBL.TV. Why suffer with delayed online because they can't be bothered airing it live on TV.

Reply #462686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

omg that lachie guy is now commentating out of Adelaide. Can't stand that ockerish WA accent.

Reply #462687 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Jake will now brag about giving us a hidding.

Reply #462688 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Sixers did it for Jake.
Well done Adelaide

Reply #462690 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Does anyone know what happened to Gibson, missed it. He walked off in the race so hopefully not too bad.

Reply #462692 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Some of the most amazingly bad umpire calls I have seen this season. Just wow!

DJ needs to step up, if he thinks playing pathetic D like that is going to win a championship then its time for him to go else where.

Schensher continues to warm up in time for the finals. Played big today and his presence was the difference between a win and a loss.
Carter and Teys played some good D on Ennis. Carter seems to be working more and more into the teams system.

Gibsons injury...Hope he is ok as his shooting lately has really put some wins on the board.

Ervin played his best quarter of the year today. His drives and passing out of the lane was something we really need him to consistently do.

I don't think either team put in 100% but we did a really good job holding off some of their drives and plays. Will be a big confidence boost coming into the finals.

Reply #462693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

meh dead rubber game.

get over yourselves 36er/sWildcats fans.

Reply #462694 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Gibson half-limped in to the tunnel but by the time he was there, he seemed to be walking ok.

Reply #462696 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Its a pity that we won't finish with an equal regular season W-L record to Perth. Tonight's win actually saw the season series tied at 2-2, but in those 4 games Perth scored 333 points. Adelaide scored 334.

Can't get much closer than that, even if Perth finish the season one, two, or three games ahead going into the finals.

Reply #462697 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Oh Freo give 'em the old heave ho - at least you won something tonight guys!

What was up with Ennis? Did he pull his heart muscle?

Look forward to hearing all your lame excuses

Reply #462698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea really enjoyed Schenscher and Gibsons games today,

its such a luxury to have a guy as good as Schensch off the bench imo, if the league increases in teams over the next few years, guys like Schensh, Creek, Cadee, Carter wont be off the bench for anyone, so im enjoying this deep team whilst it lasts,

Hope Gibbo is ok and good to play atleast in the finals, id rest him on Sunday against the Kings our ladder position cant change so give him the game off and let Carter and Creek have a few extra minutes.

Reply #462700 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Official attendance was 6,253 according to the game report on the NBL website. Kinda surprised we didn't hit 7k. It wasn't even out largest home crowd for the season.

Reply #462701 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Just watching the TV replay and Ervin said his back is bad and he not sure how he is playing so that sucks. Was just a good entertaining game, the end margin not really reflective of how close it got.

Reply #462702 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Just watching the TV replay and Ervin said his back is bad and he not sure how he is playing so that sucks. Was just a good entertaining game, the end margin not really reflective of how close it got.

Reply #462703 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

No lame excuses needed for a dead rubber game.
Burdon and U'u didn't make most of extra time but at least Damo got some rest.
Sixers win season series by slimmest margin but if we meet again in finals its 0-0 and a new series.
Also liked Schenscher's game tonight.

Reply #462705 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Check out Perth's minutes spread.. they were never playing to win, played stretches with their whole bench out there when they should have been playing the starters to catch up.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them drop the game next week too. Probably be a few dollars on it actually.

Reply #462706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Junior District Division 1 and 2 Grand Finals tonight U12 through to U18 so substantial numbers not able to attend. Fringe finishing off and so on. Loud awesome crowd sounded like a full house, went off.... Go Sixers....

Reply #462709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Ervin is also hurting, give him the game off against Sydney on Sunday,

Give Cadee the reigns for that game, we still wont be that bad of a line up and cant move ladder postion no matter what happens, so rest Gibbo and Ervin imo

We would then be going with a line up of

Cadee/Sims
Carter/Doyle
Teys/Creek
Petrie/Anthony
Johnson/Schenscher

If you rotate it something like this using the main 8, we still have a pretty decent team imo.

Cadee (30)/Carter (10)
Carter (20)/Teys (10)/Creek (10)
Teys (15)**/Creek (20)/Petrie (5)
Petrie (15)/Johnson (10)/Anthony (15)
Johnson (15)/Schenscher (25)

To me thats a solid rotation, to think we still add Ervin and Gibson, we have a deep team, i love it! Definatly no harm in giving our 2 star guards the game off, if not a week or 2 than risking injuries imo, also if Any of the bigs are struggling with any injuries rest them also and give Anthony more court time and even bring Warbout into the 10 if need be. I have reduced Petrie and Johnson a little and increased BJ to give him a run and rest the other 2 a little.

Also gives the young/bench guys a chance to play and play hard to prove themselves for some minutes in the playoffs, which would also be fun to see

**Personally id only give Teys 5-10 mins at SF and give Creek and Petrie the bulk of the SF mins, but Joey will give him 15 or more so i just put him in at that, nothing against Teys he has been solid, but i reckon Creek and Petrie are better

Reply #462713 | Report this post

Max Power  
Years ago

I'm a Sixers fan but why do people still thing Cadee is any decent? People bag Teys but he is far better than Cadee in less minutes.

Teys has improved dramatically from the start of the season, is deserving of some respect.

Reply #462716 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Rets ro rixers, rets ro!

Reply #462718 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Don't really agree with the Cadee bash, but I do agree with the Teys statement. He's really starting to warm into his role. Did some nice hustle plays, made a few nice shots. Didn't look out of place at all.
Also liking the defensive intensity Carter is giving us at the moment. Has his hands in everything and puts in max effort at all times on the court.
After Perth went on the run late third term, early last, Petrie stepped up and made some important plays to steady the ship and turn the game back in our direction.
Hoping Gibson just had cramp. That's best case. If need be, give him the game off against Sydney, we have 4 Point Guards, we can do without him for a game if he's carrying a niggle.
Schenscher is really getting after the rebounds at the moment and has finally remembered that he's 7 foot 2 (or whatever) and is using that height. Created probably 4 second chances out of nothing tonight.
Gibson and Ervin keep making big shots. Ervin probably doesn't pass the ball as much as he should, but while it's working, and he's scoring at will, it's not an issue.
DJ doesn't really appear to be putting in much effort, but still contributes on the scoreboard, which is important.
Creek came in fired up tonight. Wasn't forcing things, but played very aggressive.
Overall a positive game. Perth were clearly holding back and could have upped the intensity significantly, at least it appeared that way. But still, a win is a win. And a good win against a direct rival 2 weeks before the playoffs can never be a bad thing.

Reply #462719 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Perth looked distant tonight.

Very disappointed not to see Rehage live up to his Mr Floppy moniker - in the absence of any flops, how can we call him Mr Floppy?

Reply #462720 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Jake, Perth were in cruise mode tonight. That was clear to everyone. They were playing to get some minutes in to the young guys, and to avoid injury to their key players. If you think otherwise, you're dumber than I first thought.

Reply #462721 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Jack Toft, try Gary Erdive.

Reply #462723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HoldenV8 have a look at Wollongong & Cairns - 2-2 in win/loss plus same pts scored against one another.

Reply #462724 | Report this post

Titfortat  
Years ago

Just watching the replay and Gibson was by himself and just seemed to stumble and roll his ankle, very strange the way it happened.

Reply #462725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When is our home final v Tigers? Sat or Sun?

Reply #462726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Friday 28th.

Reply #462728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG Fridays are juniors how dare they!!!

Reply #462729 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

@The Situation, Should we call Mr Floppy pointy elbows instead?

Reply #462731 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Big weekend for SA with crows v power on Sat 29th.
Perth final hopefully on Fri 28th or Sun 30th so it doesn't clash with AFL on the sat night

Reply #462733 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

You can call him what you like.

Reply #462734 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

Of course Perth fans will say they weren't playing for a win. Perth fans always have excuses at the ready. Lost the series and had your arse handed to you twice.

Reply #462735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth series will be 27th, 29th & 31st.
Adelaide v Melbourne 28th, 30th & 1st.

Home, away, Home for the higher team.

Interestingly, If Perth make the Grand Final, They will play game 1 away due to Perth Arena being booked out by Mrs Browns Boys.

Grand final will be 6th, 11th & 13th.

Reply #462736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow talk about way too rushed.

Mrs Browns Boys haha what a joke.

NBL what a joke but I guess Ten/One insisted on these days despite venue availability problems.

Reply #462737 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

You're totally right Murray magpie we had our arse handed to us twice and were thrashed in scoring aggregate 334-333! and we only finished 1st on ladder.
No one can beat the sixers!

Reply #462742 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

That's not right anon. The first grand final game, if Perth is in it, will be Monday April 7 at Perth Arena. Ticket info for all the finals has already been circulated to Wildcat members

Reply #462743 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Not sure Perth were resting their starters when they played around the same, if not a touch more than Adelaide's in minutes?

Reply #462747 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Gibbo is ok by the way, no serious injury. Given we are a definite lock for second don't be surprised to see him rested for Sundays game.

Reply #462748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vodka - I am 100% correct.

Reply #462750 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Fantastic logic, Tornado.

Reply #462751 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Only Beal played more than 30 mins for Perth, Damo played less than 20.

Reply #462753 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

How is it logic when it is fact?

Reply #462756 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Perth's defensive intensity wasn't there tonight that was obvious to see. But who told the refs and the score bench to rest? Never seen such deplorable reffing and twice the shot clock wasn't reset after clearly hitting the rim

Reply #462762 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"Here's a hint to all Adelaide fans.

After the game check the NBL ladder and see if you can work out who is on the top."

"You're totally right Murray magpie we had our arse handed to us twice and were thrashed in scoring aggregate 334-333! and we only finished 1st on ladder.
No one can beat the sixers!"

"Fantastic logic, Tornado."

God, when did Wildcat fans turn so petty and pathetic with their responses? We know Perth is the ladder leader and they've been in every playoff series since the beginning of time, while the 36ers fans are enjoying a little bit of success for the first time in ages, no need for this "you still suck" stuff.

Perth lost, for the second time this season in Adelaide. Accept it as what happened with a bit more than snarling distaste. If the 36ers manage to beat the Tigers and Perth beat their opponent in the semis, it should be some very good and tough basketball, worthy of our historic rivalry back in the 90's/early 00's. Everybody wins.

Reply #462764 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

KET, one of those comments you quoted was a dig at the Sixers. The other two were in response to Sixers fans rubbing it in for last nights loss. Geez, if you want everyone to remain polite and classy after a game, that goes for your guys too.

Tornado, comparing Perth's starters minutes to Adelaide's is not the point. There has been no game this year that the entire Perth bench has played for a stretch like they did last night. Whether it was starters or bench players on the court, there was a lot less defensive intensity and effort on the glass than most other games.

Reply #462765 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Someone needs to give @thesituation a hug

Reply #462767 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Burn!

Reply #462769 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

Ok anon, you're obviously correct on the GF dates and letter I have sitting in front of me from the Wildcats listing dates (including April 7 as the first game) for the GF series if they make it, and how to get tickets, is obviously wrong. Hopefully someone from the Wildcats is reading this forum so that they can see the error of their ways from you.

Reply #462774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I confess to having a playful swipe at Murray magpie. There has been some trash talking on both sides of the nullabor the point I was making in my post is that both teams are very even and will make for a great grand final if we both get there.

Reply #462777 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The Situation, when a team wins, they get to enjoy it. I realise you're not used to being the losing side, but the 36ers fans really aren't 'rubbing it in'. Disputing Perth fans' "we didn't play properly anyway" is not 'rubbing it in'.

This is how it goes down:
36ers win
36ers fans enjoy it in a way which doesn't seem out of the norm for any fan base
Perth fans say 'whatever we weren't trying anyway'
36ers fans say 'k sure wink wink nudge nudge'
Perth fans get pissy and say 36ers fans are 'rubbing it in'.

I've always been a big fan of the way Perth is run and the way Perth fans act, but of late it has just been petty insecure remarks, which is made even more absurd by the fact that Perth is still first - it's really not necessary. I'm starting to think there's a real heightened sense of importance creeping in. If I was a Perth fan, i'd let the 36ers fans enjoy the win, and be a bit more tolerant about it.

If you insist that 36ers fans are being unreasonable, than be the 'bigger man'.

Reply #462778 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I'm not saying anyone is being unreasonable. I just see both sides are equally as guilty as each other at stirring the pot. Like the first 20 or so posts in this thread (or maybe it was another thread?) was filled with a bit of banter, then one guy steps in and singles out Perth fans. We can give as good as we get, and vice versa. Just don't single us out.

Reply #462779 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

As the saying goes don't give shit if you can't take it back.
Fans on both sides have playful jabs at each other, really harmless I don't see what the fuss is about.

Reply #462780 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

And to be fair, seeing comments on Twitter such as "not in our house" and "Adelaide own Perth" kind of need to put in to perspective.

Perth fans were in the same scenario last season. Final round dead rubber, NZ "rested" and got drubbed in Perth. I personally didn't celebrate because I knew exactly what was happening, and what would happen.

Reply #462781 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"As the saying goes don't give shit if you can't take it back."
I think those words are more relevant towards Perth fans in this thread....

I see there is upset over the Redhage flopping thing. The dude flops. Everyone knows he flops. The world knows it. I'm a Spurs fan, Ginobili gets the same treatment. I know how this works. Find your inner peace on this matter.

Reply #462782 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

And to be fair, seeing comments on Twitter such as "not in our house" and "Adelaide own Perth" kind of need to put in to perspective.

To be fair, Perth struggled in both matches against the 36ers at Adelaide Arena.

Perth are the best yes, but they're not the only team on the block. 36ers are back in the playoffs, embrace the rivalry, it's on for young and old!!

Reply #462783 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

That's a completely separate matter. I know he has a reputation for flopping. I just highlight other players flopping to question why there isn't the same disproportionate outrage in those incidents.

Reply #462784 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Thanks for missing the point KET.

Reply #462785 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Trust The Situation to be involved in such a situation. It's a pointless argument that's going nowhere haha.

Daily source of comedy here I tell you.

Reply #462788 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

Reminder that the 2 point loss in Perth was without 2 36er starters.
In 2 other games 36ers have been up by over 20. The head to head is only 1 point total and that is all that it needs to be.

Reply #462790 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

This thread has dragged out I agree Statsheet.
Let the grand final series decide IF Perth and Adelaide get there.

Reply #462791 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Trust Statsheet to be involved with pointless sniping.

Reply #462792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see the 36ers win the season series against Perth (tied 2-2) by just 1 point!

Reply #462793 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

One good thing about Perth that will encourage Adelaide fans is they know how to lose a Grand Final series.

Reply #462801 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Probably the most notable thing recently is Ervin's efficiency.

He and Gibson haven't played all their cards yet, I think we'll see something special from those two specifically this playoffs.

Reply #462806 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Jack you're right unfortunately but NZ won't be there this year so anything can happen.

Reply #462809 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Jack Toft, that joke is decades old.....just like the Sixers last playoff appearance.

Reply #462812 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

One good thing about Perth that will encourage Adelaide fans is they know how to lose a Grand Final series.

Jack Toft, that joke is decades old.....just like the Sixers last playoff appearance.

Couldn't help but chuckle, now that's banter (and cried a little as well)

Reply #462813 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Quality, not quantity.

Reply #462815 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

36ers can't hold a candle to Perth's lack of finals conversions

Reply #462819 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

To be fair, I don't think Perth were considered favourites over NZ the last 2 years.

Reply #462826 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

I hope Ervin had a word to his team about that alley in the last 10 seconds. Disrepectful.

Reply #462834 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I hope I'm wrong, and probably will be, but there is a possibility that Perth and Adelaide won't face each other again this season. One or both might bomb out in the semi's. Nothing is ever certain.

Back in 1994 I coached a team to win the SA under-14 rugby league grand final. The team we defeated (44-0 I might add :D) had gone through the entire season undefeated to that point and from memory their average winning margin was 20+. Going on that they should have thumped us, but as I said, nothing is ever certain.

As stated though, I hope I'm wrong. I hope that it does end up being an Adelaide vs Perth Grand Final series. Anything less would be a let down.

Reply #462836 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Just to put a dampener on any argument that part of why Perth lost is that they didn't play their starters for long periods of the game.....their starting 5 of Beal, Martin, Ennis, Redhage and Knight played for a combined total of just over 124 minutes. Ervin, Gibson, Teys, Petrie and Johnson played for a combined total of just over 120 minutes.

Considering the size of the win, that would suggest Adelaide's bench contributed a lot more than Perth's managed. And that might be a worry for Gleeson, if his starters get shut down in any way, be it low scoring or foul trouble which keeps them benched for long periods of a game, who from the bench other than maybe Wagstaff or Hire is capable of stepping up?

Reply #462849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perths weak points are ball carriers and their bench. As you have said foul trouble or an injury could be a disaster for them at the guard spot. Jervis can cover Knight, Wagstaff can cover Redhage and partly Ennis but beyond that they don't have much cover.

Reply #462851 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Holden V8, that's ridiculous logic according to @the situation.

Reply #462858 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Holden, that comparison is irrelevant. Perth's starters were rested compared to the amount of minutes they normally play, not compared to what the opponent does. Burdon and U'u both played more minutes than they have all season. Jervis played more than he has for long time (based in whenever Knight has been healthy to play).

The stretch of play in the second quarter where the entire bench got a run had not happened all season. Martin played 18 minutes. Considering his recent form, do you think he'd been relegated to the bench for another reason?

Reply #462859 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Tornado, see above. It's really not that hard to work out.

Reply #462860 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

By the way Holden, I agree with your second paragraph. Bench depth has always been a concern all season. We go 8 deep, but only 6 of those guys are legitimate scoring options. The reason it hasn't been an issue much is because, as I said, the final two guys just don't get much of a run.

Reply #462861 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Adelaide do have a deeper line up in guard positions that is one weakness for Perth.

Reply #462867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grand Final will be on Sunday 6th April except if Perth are hosting due to venue availability so then it will be on Monday 7th April (stupid Wildcats and Perth Arena - why not have dates on hand for the finals period, really pathetic, ruins Game 1 with a bad day). Both of you are right Anon & Vodka.

Reply #462899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or will Perth not host Game 1? Would be suicidal though giving the first one away to the road.

Reply #462900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully the NBL will go A-H-H for the grand final if Perth is in it for the sake of having Sunday-Friday-Sunday TV broadcasts as per usual, not 10pm on a Monday night.

Reply #462905 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

@the Situation, you're also making the assumption that Adelaide's starting 5 played the same amount of mins as they usually do. Gibbo only played 23 mins and Schenscher and Carter for example played a lot more than they usually do.

Reply #462907 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I actually don't care how much or how little the Sixers starters played because it is entirely irrelevant to the Perth starters playing less than what they normally do. Surely you can understand that?

Reply #462909 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Hopefully the NBL will go A-H-H for the grand final if Perth is in it for the sake of having Sunday-Friday-Sunday TV broadcasts as per usual, not 10pm on a Monday night."
Won't happen. The grand final dates have already been announced by the Wildcats.

A-H-H ruins home court advantage, too.

Reply #462930 | Report this post

Fm  
Years ago

Perth lost to Adelaide this season. That is all

Reply #462933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide are probably more worried about their semi final opponent, whoever that ends up being, than they are about facing Perth in a GF.

Reply #462939 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

^ Their semi final opponent is Melbourne. That is locked in.

Reply #462940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Teys starting 36er fans could say that they have been resting every game

Reply #462957 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

@the situation - I understand what you are saying but you implied that the reason the 36ers won was because Perth were playing to get some minutes into the young guys and to avoid injury to key players.

What I was pointing out was that the 36ers themselves were of a similar mindset, hence the minutes comparison.

So whilst the minutes comparison isnt relevant to how Perth normally play, it is still relevant to the win.

Reply #462960 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Man, some of you gents just don't know how to keep a lid on.

Reply #462971 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"A-H-H ruins home court advantage, too."

Have you got any stats from the days of A-H-H in the NBL to compare with H-A-H?

Reply #462972 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Was there any report of a left shoulder injury to Damien Martin?

Even as a 36ers fan, you have to admit the guy is tough as nails, springing straight up and not batting an eye lid after being crunched into the floor when Peach landed on top of him as they were both diving for a loose ball.

Not sure if anyone else at the game saw it, but a bit after that one of his team mates come down on him in a rebounding contest & he immediately grabbed his left shoulder, grabbed it another half a dozen times in the next few minutes & then effectively sat the rest of the game.

I assume he would finals play with his arm in a sling if needed.

Reply #463001 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

No reports that I've heard?

Reply #463005 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

He may have played reduced minutes but so did Gibbo, therefore Martin didn't play reduced minutes.

Reply #463006 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Speaking of injury what's the latest on Adam Gibson?

Reply #463007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey wanted to win, Gibbo Injured,Dumb ass!!Dead Rubber people.

Reply #463017 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

Situation. ... Agree with your logic. Perhaps Gibbo also has a shoulder strain and in turn, Martin has a tweak to his ankle. That would keep everything even for the concerned sixers fans?

Reply #463021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti said in his live blog the 36ers are confident of Gibbo being back for Game 1 of the playoffs.

Reply #463022 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Have you got any stats from the days of A-H-H in the NBL to compare with H-A-H?"
No, but the away team should never have played more home games than the home team. The 2-3-2 format for the NBA Finals had the same problem.

If the home team wins game one, all of a sudden the higher-seeded team is facing two elimination games.

Reply #463026 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Look at it this way -- it's seen as a major advantage to play a basketball game at home, thus we can probably argue the home team winning every game.

That means in formats such as A-H-H or 2-3-2, the onus to win the game and save the championship is on the team that placed higher in the regular season. The situation should be reversed, rewarding the higher placed team rather than the'challenger'.

Purely from a competitive standpoint, that's how it should be structured. Logistics is another matter.

Reply #463030 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:04 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754