Moneyballer
Years ago

Cleveland sign former Taipan Shane Edwards

What was he like when he played for Cairns, I can't remember him being anything special.

Topic #33941 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

Got better as the season went on, Right place right time!!!

Reply #462364 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Really nice athlete, decent defender, someone who was well suited to the NBL with his versatility as a mobile 4 but will be a 3 in the NBA I imagine. Averaged 10 & 5 coming off the bench for Cairns.

Reply #462368 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

He has been in the 'D' League it appears...

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Cavaliers have signed forward Shane Edwards from the Canton Charge, the Cavaliers exclusively owned and operated NBA Development League team, to a 10-day contract, Cavaliers acting General Manager David Griffin announced today. To create the roster spot for Edwards, the team released forward Arinze Onuaku from his second 10-Day contract that was set to expire on March 13th.

Edwards has appeared in 40 games (32 starts) for the Charge this season, averaging 13.3 points on .547 shooting and 5.5 rebounds in 28.2 minutes per game. The 6-7, 220-pound forward has scored 15 or more points 15 times on the season, including in 9 of his last 11 games, and has two double-doubles for the year.

Edwards will join the team in Phoenix today and will be available for tonight's game against the Suns. He will wear jersey number 24.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/cavaliers_sign_shane_edwards_canton_charge_2014_03_12.html

Reply #462369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching him throughout his Taipans tenure, I don't think he was healthy for much of it.

He also played a fair bit of bench rotation in Cairns, so that inflated his stats a little bit.

He's a streaky jumpshooter whose shot is very flat and pretty ugly for an undersized 4, but he's mainly a pick and roll, face-up guy.

I've watched bits of him in the D-League and I'm really not sure he'd cut the mustard as an NBA wing guy.

Reply #462374 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

That's me^

Reply #462375 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Would be an interesting matchup if they chuck him on a Morris brother today.

Reply #462376 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Oh also, he was one of Fearne's prized recruits. Fearne publicly said he'd been chasing Edwards for years before he inked with Cairns.

Reply #462377 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

My recollection is he wasn't a prized recruit, in fact I think he had wanted to come to Australia previously and Fearne had given him things to work on to bring him up to the grade.

Reply #462386 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

My mistake.

Fearne did say he had been following Edwards for years prior though.

The media made a massive deal of it at the time of signing but didn't explicitly say that Fearne thought the guy was a star, just implied it.

Reply #462395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reckon fearne didn't use him right and he wasn't the right fit.

Reply #462396 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I thought he would have been a good fit for Adelaide this year, but he's obviously done a bit than that for himself.

Reply #462398 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Get two of those 10 day contracts and he will make more than what he made here in probably half a year.

Re: Edwards and the right fit in Cairns..

I never judge a player on what he did/or what he does in Cairns.

Fearne's system is so ughh.

Not even sure Kirk Penney would be able to get shots in that system.

All they do is pass the ball around for 18-20 seconds then give it to Jamar Wilson.

Reply #462401 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Some very successful teams around the world have run the two main systems Fearne uses, but with the Taipans the offence either seems to be a thing of beauty or something very ugly for whatever reason.

Reply #462404 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I know Fearne uses one of the "Breakers" systems.

I refer to it as that because they ran it every single time they were in a half break/2nd phase trans and it became their kind of identity through those 3 successful seasons.

They called the play 'trans'.

It was just a simple on-ball screen, other big man pops high to receive pass and then he dribbles to towards the opposite corner, wing man backdoor cut and guard sprints out of corner for the hand-off.

Super-effective play.

I see Cairns run it. But it's just not the same admittedly.

Reply #462427 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's an offence a lot of clubs in Europe and the NBL run versions of, I see sections of it in the NBA too.

When run well it is a beautiful thing. When not, you might as well just be passing the ball around the perimeter for 24 seconds.

Reply #462432 | Report this post

Simo  
Years ago

He was very underrated & underused at the Taipans, good on him for getting a crack at the show !!

Reply #462437 | Report this post

Black Panther  
Years ago

Is there any resource (video tutorial, articles, etc.) detailing the Breaker's "Trans" set? Does it have another name elsewhere? I would like to see it fully explained with the counters to the main cuts.

In my opinion, Dillon Boucher was the guy who really made this set run beautifully for NZ.

Paul, what's the other main system Cairns uses? I periodically see some shuffle cuts, but am not sure if that's what you're referring to.

Thanks to whoever can help!!

Reply #462457 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

'Reckon fearne didn't use him right and he wasn't the right fit.,

Fearne has never used a player in the right way, can anyone name a single import that had played an entire season successfully under Fearne?

I would hate to be an import playing under him, I honestly believe Edwards was a MVP calibre player if they let him play his natural way. I was telling many basketball guys how I would love to have seen him play for the 36ers and most agreed.

Reply #462459 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

They run a shuffle in which they don't cut hard (which gives the impression of lethargy and lack of enterprise), as well as a bit of zipper that lacks wrinkles.

But hey when they're moving and passing with purpose, good things happen.

Reply #462466 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Also I remember how effective the Breakers were when Lemanis flashed Boucher and occasionally Vukona to the foul line for a catch, and they'd play make from that. Was very effective, opened up so much of the floor, especially with Pledger sealing like he used to.

Reply #462467 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

A: 'Name a single import that played a successful season under Fearne'

- Wilson runner up MVP 2 seasons ago
- Ubaka
- Dorsey
- Skip Mills

(Meltzer was injured & in the twilight of his career, Warren was fresh but showed some spark, Edwards played the role he was signed to play)

Edwards was always meant to come off the bench in the rotation with Trigger, Loughton and Dusty.

Reply #462571 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I honestly believe Edwards was a MVP calibre player"

His numbers in college, D-League, Europe and the NBL were all pretty consistent. I don't think he played significantly below his level in Australia.

Reply #462576 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Paul. Fearne hardly played him.

Reply #462580 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

His free throw shooting was down there with Frye.

Reply #462582 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A, he played 23mpg.

Reply #462585 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Wilson, his free throw percentage was better than double Frye's.

Reply #462658 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Will never forget his last quarter outburst to down Melbourne (god I hope it was them) with some massive dunks and I'm sure the crowd were as loud in Cairns as they had ever been.

Good to see him play more as a small forward as he doesn't rebound well enough to be considered a big.

Reply #462950 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:49 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754