Wound
Years ago

Sixers' sound system is terrible

Have been to the last 3 home games sitting south eastern corner. Seriously struggle to hear a single word being said over the sound system. Is it that bad in other sections too? Yes I know it costs money but it really is embarrassing how poor the sound is.

Topic #33957 | Report this topic

Carcus Mamby  
Years ago

Has been like that ever since I can remember, doesn't matter where you sit.
You just need to really focus and sometimes you maybe able to understand what's being said.

Reply #462798 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Yep sit east and last couple have been worse than normal. My guess was the speakers facing the other way are working and we are just having to hear it from their side so it's kind if muffled.

Reply #462805 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I've always found that about the Arena since the first time I went there in 1994. Sit in the corners and the sound system is pretty shocking. Oh sure you can hear the music, but anything anyone says on a mic just about comes across as gibberish.

I remember one time only a couple of years ago when they had the 1986 36ers there. They did an on court interview with Darryl Pearce and seriously, from where I was sitting in the upper concourse near where Pearce's singlet is hanging on the western wall, you could not make out anything the Iceman or the interviewer said.

Reply #462846 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

In saying that, sit on the side of the court near to where the TV camera platform is and you can clearly hear everything said over the PA system.

Reply #462847 | Report this post

ashman  
Years ago

I stopped commenting years ago about it, it is very dependent on where you sit, but from experience there are more bad spots than good. The turbo sound stuff they have in there is not designed for the job it is too directional

Reply #462922 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Remember a few years ago we were getting a new cube and sound system? Shame that ally ell through.

Reply #462929 | Report this post

Slammin'08  
Years ago

It doesn't matter where you sit it is always a muffled mess, just different levels of muffledness! I have sat anywhere from just behind the benches to the corporate suites and it is not clear anywhere. The whole system is a poorly designed over engineered piece of S*#t. Doesn't help the arena went into liquidation and then spent a season controlled by a bank when they were planning an upgrade. Hopefully the Scouts and Church Basketball spend some $$'s in the off-season and do it properly.

Reply #462955 | Report this post

RG  
Years ago

Reply #462964 | Report this post

RG  
Years ago

It doesn't help when the announcer talks too quickly. I'm sure that Jarro
d (spelling?) is fine in his radio studio environment but he needs to slow down in the arena. Bonz knew to do that - you could hear everything he said.

Reply #462965 | Report this post

36Boggers  
Years ago

yep, we couldn't understand a word either friday night! I really hope they invest some money into upgrading a lot of things in that stadium. It's well overdue!

Reply #462966 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

yeah... same ol' same ol' really - even with newer speakers than we used to have.

Add to that the girls selling raffle tickets shouldn't do so up and down the isles in front of people while play is on;

A better and consistent strategy for cars exiting the carpark;

Consistently preventing kids from crowding the stairs along the players race while play is on;

The scoreboard being 200 years old and;

Half time "entertainment" not actually being-so.

.. but hey, its much easier to accept things like this havn't changed when your team is winning and you are seeing some awesome b-ball (while at the same time hoping greater success will bring a bigger budget for resolving some of these issues). :-)

Let's go Sixers!

Reply #462996 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

Yep, the sound system is an issue, but Jarrod's delivery, notwithstanding his radio experience [or perhaps because of it], is an issue. If you deliver quickly in that environment, or any PA environment, for that matter, the words just run together.

God help us if there was ever an emergency situation and people needed to be directed or guided per the PA, though I guess that would be the role of the court announcer and his voice is usually relatively clear, despite the limitations of the sound system.

Reply #463031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Entertainment Centre please, sick of Dome cheapness.

Reply #463066 | Report this post

Slammin'08  
Years ago

Jarrod Walsh is pretty poor in every sports presentation position I have seen him in. (Seen him fill in some A-League United matches and something else).

Anonymous the entertainment center wouldn't be the answer, to expensive and restrictive. AEC have made a mess of Coopers Stadium (Hindmarsh Stadium) and really don't think the value would be there for the sixers. They would have to set-up the court and a PA every week, no real players change rooms and they wouldn't have anywhere for their retired jersey's, championship banners etc. etc. not to mention having to then hire a training court.

Reply #463179 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:05 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754