W.A
Years ago

WNBL Offseason

Hearing that both WNBL Grand final coaches will not be at the helm in 2014/15. One going into retirement and the other in talks to purchase a license and head coach that team. Also hearing some player movement out West and another Dandenong exodus.

Can anybody confirm?

Topic #33982 | Report this topic

Anon12  
Years ago

W.A - I'm guessing (not really) that Bernie is retiring (no surprise) and that Chris will try to buy the Lightning license and become Head Coach (after being sacked).

Reply #463255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers have already announced that Molloy has re-signed for 2 years, Chambers re-signed as his assistant, with Allen, Madgen & Jarry all re-signing for next year.

Griffin has re-signed for 3 years at Bendigo - if Bernie is going to retire, they must already have an idea of who will be coaching next year, because a player signing for 1 year let along 3 years would probably want to know who they are playing for; unless they are taking a leap of faith that the new coach will be good fit for them.

Reply #463259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucas will be staying at Townsville for next year, will probably head back to Adelaide the following year. Batkovic will resign with the Fire for next year. About 4 players expecting to move on from the Fire.

Reply #463267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are expecting to move on from both Dandenong and Townsville?

Reply #463269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

by player movement out West - are you meaning players leaving, retirements or players actually moving West to play?

Reply #463277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suzy onboard with Tville for 2 yrs.

Reply #463279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of dandenong will be back, except for maybe a couple who won't be playing either due to not coming back from USA or retirement I would expect. But the bulk are coming back from what I have been told

Reply #463308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Pretty sure almost the entire Dandenong team said that would like to stay at the club provided there were some changes... I think we all know what changes!

Reply #463322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Macleod returning to the Rangers for next season and if she does return where does that leave Mitchell & Clydesdale? Would they re-sign both of them as well or just one of them, and would Macleod & Mitchell even work on the same team?

Reply #463380 | Report this post

Green76  
Years ago

Out west, Coach Kennedy has another contract signed before Christmas.
Will Doccy Smith retire? the Waves key signing has spent more time sitting in the stands injured for the last two years than playing. If they sign her again surely she won't be the highest paid player, minimum payment at least, great player when fit but injuries have caught up with her.
Will Garbin and Burton return?
Need a post, a point and players that can shoot. Should have a look at Hailey Dunham playing for Mandurah this year.

Reply #463454 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Who has Coach Kennedy signed??
Garbin and Burton would be insane to sign another year .
If they have any aspirations then they should be going east to play.
Need a whole lot of things out west and the list would be far to big to address here.

Reply #463522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think it's got anything to do with who has signed.

There's already a beaten finalist hard at work.

Reply #463526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All West Coast needs is a quality point guard and a quality 4 to play alongside Burton and they'll be fine, provided they also get a quality 2, a quality 3, and some decent bench players to complement Amos, Edmondson & Garbin.
Sounds like Doccy isn't ready to hang up her boots just yet, even if they are mostly moonboots these days. I would love to see her at least have a healthy season before she bows out. I wonder if Sam Richards is a possibility for the point spot. I know she is planning to return to action with the aim of continuing her Opals duties. If she survives that then perhaps a spot with the Waves could be on the cards. Two huge IFs, but if they could get Sam & Doccy healthy then at least that is some legit WNBL starting calibre players to build around.

Reply #463533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can Lucas buy a team? Or do you mean he would head a consortium to purchase the licence?

Reply #463581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So we may have daddy buying a team for his little princess which daddy can no longer prop up.

Which may be replaced by a coach being part of ownership and then coaching. So yet another conflict of interest.

WNBL has no professionalism at all.

Reply #463582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"WNBL has no professionalism at all."

Please tell me you didn't only just realise this

Reply #463633 | Report this post

The Fog  
Years ago

O'hea to Europe for big money.

Reply #463849 | Report this post

MRT  
Years ago

Fog isn't Ohea playing WNBA.So when is she playing in Europe and who for.

Reply #463888 | Report this post

The Fog  
Years ago

O'hea Won't play WNBL next season, off to Europe to play Dandenong will have to replace her.

Reply #463990 | Report this post

Dandy Lion  
Years ago

Dandenong couldn't stump up the cash. Must have been a huge ask if they don't ave the money

Reply #464061 | Report this post

Princess  
Years ago

Dandenong couldn't stump up the cash. Must have been a huge ask if they don't ave the money

Reply #464063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Lynch you mega troll, you made a mistake and posted twice using 2 of your accounts.

Keep hating on Dandy and anyone involved in the club. Jerk.

Reply #464065 | Report this post

Princess  
Years ago

Who is Mark Lynch you sook? Haven't posted anything that isn't true. Let's see whether O'Hea signs with Dandy. Great if she does, but I think she is asking too much money and there is only so much that a WNBL player can command, no matter how deep the sponsors pockets.

Reply #464270 | Report this post

Big T  
Years ago

Olivia Thompson, formerly of the Townsville Fire, has signed with the Melbourne Boomers.

Thoughts?

Boomers aren't messing around this year.

Reply #464492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Free agent list not out yet so how could she have been in talks and signing contracts already.

Reply #464504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

free agent list is out tomorrow - they delayed it by a day for some reason. Maybe it was a case of Thompson or her management making an approach to the Melbourne sides indicating she wanted to play in Vic and the Boomers were first to act?

Reply #464509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The players generally know if they are not under contract and shouldn't have to wait until the league posts a list on the website to talk to teams.

Good group of young guns at Melbourne.

Reply #464515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

everyone is still on contract till free agent list , then players are released .

Reply #464532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Lucas re-signed as coach of Townsville on a 1+1 deal; Alex Wilson also re-signs with Townsville on a 1+1 deal.

Reply #464581 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"everyone is still on contract till free agent list , then players are released ."

There is theory, then there is reality.

Reply #464587 | Report this post

FUBR  
Years ago

Just because someone has contract does not mean conversations can't be held. Contracts get paid out and we've all seen contracts terminated mid-term. Also, since when has being under contract prevented discussions or negotiations from occurring especially for the establishment of a future contract. It is what player agents are doing all the time and in every sport.

Some people's understanding of commercial realities is just bizarre

Reply #464596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the free list available to view yet?

Reply #464623 | Report this post

I think the league rules are that free agency starts two weeks following the grand final. Just because there is some inefficiencies in getting a list done (probably due to people administering two programs!) , then players shouldn't have to wait for a list. They know if they are contracted or not and can talk to other clubs once the free agency period begins.

Hard for the Fire to recontact players when it only signed the coach on Monday or Sunday. Boomers just seem more organized but then again, they have Guy Molloy! Organized on and off the court.

Reply #464950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find that the Fire were never going to be bringing back Thompson for another season. Whilst she is extremely athletic with potential, there are a number of obvious flaws in her game i.e. Basketball IQ & her inability to play 'D'. Her lack of understanding around offensive & defensive schemes & the role that she plays within them is a weakness that has been apparent in her game since U/14's! Hopefully Coach Molloy can get her to 'buy in' to these at the Boomers, time will tell...

Reply #465029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who has said that Fire wouldn't bring Thompson back? She seemed to have quite a lot of court time last year, was first off the bench etc. The last few games of this season, she wasn't used at all. Was it because of better players, has her game decreased,or was Chris Lucas not seeing her potential anymore?

Reply #465051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you not read the above post? She can't remember offenses & doesn't play any 'D'. These are usually 2 non-negotiable's when playing professional basketball. Lucas will not lose any sleep on her moving to the Boomers. Best of luck to her at the Boomers.

Reply #465053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No need to be rude! I just meant was there proof that Fire weren't going to resign her, or is this just your own personal speculation?
Yes I understand her lack of understanding offences. But Lucas used her a whole lot more last year, when she still had this lack of skill. This year he has barely touched her! I was simply asking why.

Reply #465064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This has been apparent at every nationals she attended, coming into the team late due to AIS commitments, she would run around like a headless chook with no idea what to do. When controlling the ball she was great, drive to the basket and shoot. Apart from that she's has nothing.

Reply #465073 | Report this post

Hearing big news coming out of Dandenong. Anyone heard anything?

Reply #466079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EP in green next year. 100%.

Reply #466441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is EP?

I'm thinking elyse penaluna although she is out with a knee.

Reply #466443 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:18 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754