Swagger
Years ago

New Spalding ball

Curious on everyone's thoughts? I found it awful, loved the old Molten, so much more grip.

Of course over time I'm sure we will all get use to it, but don't understand the reason for the change. Nothing wrong with the Moltens as far as I'm concerned.

Topic #33987 | Report this topic

Ricey  
Years ago

There wasn't anything wrong with the spaldings years ago until Molten dropped its cheap ass rubbish into the market. The TF-1000 has suffered due to the new cheaper materials being used.
Would love to see The Rock used out here. Such a good ball

Reply #463413 | Report this post

Coeezy  
Years ago

I was never a big fan of the Moltens. I think they felt better for shooting, but I never liked dribbling the things as the extra grooves turned it a little more than I expected. I find with the new ball after one game that I've got the opposite problem. I like dribbling, but now I'm really unfamiliar shooting it.

Reply #463415 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

I'm the other way funnily enough, I can't stand dribbling with the new ball, the molten's grip made dribbling a breeze.....hopefully it was just a dud ball.

Reply #463416 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Ricey...is that true about the TF-1000?

A friend bought a new one and we all thought it didn't feel right.

We gave him some flak for buying a counterfeit but maybe this is the reason.

Reply #463419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have played with the new TF 1000 legacy in 23s and ABL and I just find it slippery when compared to the old balls. Maybe when broken in more they will get better but I don't like them at the moment. I just wonder what the TF 500's will be like for the juniors!!

Reply #463435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Spalding is a great training ball, not as easy to use so you have to work harder at it, but then if you train with it and play with it you won't be as foreign to its characteristics.

Molten is for juniors to give them an unreal sense of ability and increase confidence.

Spalding should be the ball used in all adult games.

Reply #463442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The new Spalding is horrible - slippery and can't get any grip. The material used is poor. The Moltens are far superior.

Reply #463445 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Spalding developed its first basketball in 1894 and is currently a leading producer. Since 1983, it has been the Official ball supplier to the NBA.

In 2006, Spalding and the NBA announced that they would create a new NBA Official Game Ball, with interlocking segments and made with a synthetic material instead of leather.

However, many NBA players complained that the new composite ball became extremely slick after use, wouldn't bounce as high and bounced awkwardly off the rim and backboard and cut their fingers.

As a result, the NBA reverted to the old leather balls effective January 1, 2007.

Reply #463449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slippery, old balls...

Reply #463460 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

The 1000s we have today are absolutely not made of the same grade leather from 15 years ago. My cousins had a bunch of them still some years ago which still kept the soft leather feel all that time and had great grip.

Reply #463489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

where are these new Spaldings being introduced? Which competitions?

Reply #463505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saw a game ball tonight its the 500's CABL get 1000's but rest get 500's it appears

Reply #463542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not fair on players all this chopping and changing. Please be consistent.

Reply #463568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what ball are they using at 18 nationals?

Reply #463626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do 23's use? The 500's are not good

Reply #463628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My under 16s won with the new ball. And shot FT's infinitely better, so have no complaints with the ball!!!

Reply #463643 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Previous Nationals I have been to have used the Spalding and looking at old photos from other Australian Nationals it is definately the Spalding (not sure about if it is 500 or 1000).

Does anyone know where they make it?

That might be part of the reason why a change is being noticed...

Reply #463651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The new Spalding ball I found was not bouncy enough, everytime either team bounced the ball it started rolling, how do we complain so we can have the molten back?

Reply #463847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Made in China no doubt

Reply #463950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re the free throws comment - the ball is soft less bounce so it tends to pop rather than bounce like the moltens of the rim = more chance of going in on second motion.

Reply #464088 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Speaking to a couple of the boys at under 18 and youth league level, they prefer the Spalding, not so much the poor quality, slick replica, but the high quality leather ball actually appears to be the better option over the Molten.

Agree with comments about the bounce, seems some people like the high bounce of the Molten, but the better players understand the advantage of the Spalding when it comes to certain aspects of the game.

I think this comes down to the quality of the product, not the brand, so at the higher end of the spectrum, all things being equal, the Spalding would be the better choice over the Molten, IMO...

Reply #464125 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:38 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754