yogee
Years ago

Funny ABA Central Champions

Congratulations to North Adelaide Women and Eastern Mavericks Men, Champions of the ABA Central Conference for 2004.

WOMENS :
NORTH ADELAIDE 83 (Hill 19, Phillips 18 [12 rebs], Dhu 11) defeated FORESTVILLE 57 (Screen 15 [14 rebs], Flanagan 11, Matthews 10)

MENS
EASTERN 93 (Holmes 33 [23 rebs], Davis 28) defeated WOODVILLE 80 (Ng 25 [11 rebs], Bradley 20)

Vandenbergh just missed a triple double, with 6 pnts, 8 rebs, 10 asts.

Full game reports and box scores will be on the site tomorrow.

Topic #340 | Report this topic

MW  
Years ago

Bad luck Forestville womens, fingers crossed for the next season.

Reply #2608 | Report this post

04astatsguru  
Years ago

To: Tracy York
Do not be upset that your team could not contain Jacob, messrs. Hopkins, Ninnis and Lovedsy couldn't either.
TO: Those members of the BASA Senior Committee who earlier this year voted for the season to be arranged so that the 36ers players could play for their club sides, fancy letting a non-member club walk away with the title. Next time that you open Pandora's box make sure you know what is in it. The way Eastern played they would have to be a good bet for the premiership next year as well and for every year that Jacob, Brad etc. are part of the team. I saw all the finals mens games and did not see anyone who could challenge Eastern's team for the next 10 years. Eastern you were awesomw, the rest ???????

Reply #2609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isnt it strange how all the Woodville supporters havent posted on here after last night.

Theyve been bragging all season.

And bagging all the other teams and players for various choking occurences.

How about hearing about Vandebergs, and graves games last night?

Reply #2619 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Well, actually I DID post, and I posted the result.

I also actually said congratulations to the winners of both games.

What about being a gracious winner and not trying to rub peopels faces into it?

Good sportmanship runs BOTH ways.

Reply #2621 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

So does playful bantering!

*joins the Holmes bandwagon*

Reply #2622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Winners are grinners re 04astatsguru/2609 great post!

Reply #2623 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Congratulations to both winning teams!

statsguru -- did you see North vs Eastern? North had it within 4 in the final few minutes.

Reply #2625 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

There were 4 main reasons as to last nights result

1/ Jacob Holmes
2/ Jacob Holmes
3/ Tracy York for some reason altering the starting 5, promoting Graves and keeping Whitmore benched.
4/ Woodville playing LAZY defence. Players just not even TRYING to get over screens, not jumping for rebounds.

The players who took the easy way out know who they are, and should be ashamed of how they played.

I would like to comment on the officiating, but that would just sound like sour grapes, so I wont :).

Reply #2626 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Couldn't make the game -- does anyone have a quick write-up?

Saw the women's result in the paper briefly -- looks like North blew the Eagles away. I know people expected North to win, but I thought that Forestville would've been a bit more competitive!

Reply #2627 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Well, here's my two bobs worth. Woodville rely on a team game within a fairly strict offensive structure. They had mismatches against Eastern, but went to them to the detriment of their offence. Bradley early, and D.Ng throughout the game often went against their player out of the offence whereas Eastern, even when it was Jacob saving the day again, did so after a number of passes in a set structure. Hats off to the Mavs' Coach - he structured an offence around Michael Jordan and did it successfully. Imagine if his boy was still there (that kid can play).

As the game wore on, you could see Woodville's offence self-destructing. There's something about pressure games that brings out the best or worst in people and alas, Woodville didn't play great. However, you only play as well as your opponent allows you to and those Eastern boys were on a mission, from young guard Goodenough to old warhorse Warhurst.

To the guy bagging T.York for leaving Whitmore out of the first five, you obviously aren't aware that Whitmore tore a calf about a week ago and was lucky to even play. Check the ice on the leg whilst on the bench during the game and his limited minutes - he was really struggling. Would be a shame if he retired on such a note but the tears after the game and solemn face suggest we may have seen the last of the big hairy one. Scott - you've been a champ, always will be a champ, and have the respect of everyone. Keep the chin up, get healthy, and get over to Sleepy Hollow and send the locals to sleep in the low block.

Reply #2628 | Report this post

gorge  
Years ago

everyone says jacob holmes this, jacob holmes that i know he is a really good player but i would like to see how many assists he averages because he would rather throw up a huge fade away than do a simple bounce pass. cvan ne one else see where im comin from

Reply #2632 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Moses, no I was not aware Whitmore re-injured his calf again.

Unfortunately, as I wasnt in ym usual spot for the game, I wasnt privy to that sort of information.

The one thing I am sadly disapointed in was the actions of a few Eastern women, sitting with the juniors, engaging in, and encouraging the juniors, to abuse, harass, and even throw things at Woodville fans. Despicable acts again. Security ended up having to step in and separate the groups.

Reply #2635 | Report this post

Mavs played championship basketball & are deserved winners.
Yogee you haven't posted the stats yet but I believe the Mavs coach called maybe 3 timeouts the whole game(one with 9 seconds to go in the first half) - shows how well their players were sticking to their game plan.

Holmes is legit, what a player, can't say enough about him. Davis was superb & played a brilliant game, W'ville all game had no answer to their 1-2 punch.
The Mav's team played exceptionally well, hitting big shots, running the offense, showing great patience, causing turnovers & generally frustrating W'ville with their scrappy defense.

Woodville? What a mind blow out. Their week break had them out of synch, their passing in the first half was child like. Can anyone down their make a pass to the post?
Whitmore with his bad calf only played maybe 5 minutes & had no lift at all.
With Scott out of the rotation Tracy York came up with absolutely nuddah.

To bring a 5'8 guy in for a 6'7 4-man & still run a 1 -4 high offense was never going to get easy shots or offensive rebounds. Terrible decision. To not change their offense all game was very poor coaching.

W'ville's offense was woeful, one pass shot, one pass turnover pretty much all game. Why Tracy didn't make them swing the ball a couple of times was mind boggling, Mavs only had to guard one pass before a W'ville player jacked up an always seemingly ill advised jump shot. The Doctor played as well as he could but every shot was over a hand, W'ville had no easy looks all game.
Claytoe's new nickname is Mr Brickworks, did someone tell him he was a good shooter?
Eric played a solid first 18 minutes but it didn't take long before Mavs could see that he was just parking down in the low post - no movement at all, so he had 2 or 3 people in his face for the rest of the game.

Cameron Wilson was one of W'ville's better players in the first half but received no time in the 2nd. Paul Vandenberg couldn't get it going offensively, how could he when there was always 2 high posts to run into & as soon as he made a pass someone would shoot it.
There was no urgency from W'ville, no trapping defenses, they may have zoned for 2 minutes. They just stuck in their very average man to man defense.
The Mavs showing excellent poise & discipline had Davis & Holmes running off countless picks. The picks being set were as solid in the last quarter ar they were in the first. W'villes defense broke down & no one tried to fix it.

Overall the Mavs were by far, better coached, they stuck to their game plan & the role players did exactly what was asked of them.
Holmes & Davis were deadly efficient but it was their team that got them the win.

Tracy York is a one trick pony, who couldn't adjust her game plan when it wasn't working. Thats 3 final losses in a row that she hasn't been up to it because of her game management.

With the way Holmes & Davis are playing, I can't see anyone from the SEABL being able to stop them, I think the Mavs could be the big surprise in Geelong.

W'ville need to get Scott healthy asap & learn to play a team offense. Hopefully no one from the East gets a tape of the grand final.

Reply #2643 | Report this post

Disappointed  
Years ago

Finally someone has said the truth about Woodvilles game, thanks Bootney.

I saw a Mavs team relaxed, and you wouldn't have thought they were in a final, whereas Woodville were hesistant, unsure, and I agree, Cam Wilson was the only shining light for the Warriers. Before they go away York needs to teach her players how to set screens and run an offense to get players open. They have one of the better shooters in the league, yet continued to allow Darren to go one on one (sometimes 2) and put up a prayer shot. Yes some did go in, but realistically they were never going to win playing like that. How about getting him to come off Eric, Puddifoot or Vandenbergh for a wide open shot, cos it obviously works, just ask Brad Davis.

Hill TOTALLY out coached York in all aspects of the game. Where was the time out at the beginning of the third term when Eastern blew their lead out past double figures? In contrast, Woodville scored twice and stopped the Mavs twice with their zone, and straight away Hill called a time out. Woodville had more subs than the Russian navy, no wonder no-one could get going, as soon as they looked like making a mistake, boom, sub.

I saw some piss weak efforts from some of the players, and I'm sorry I have to say it, Darren Ng needed to be dragged for his second half. He just wasn't prepared to play the "team" game. I think someone told Puddifoot the Sixers coaches were going to be at the game and he needed to show them he deserves a spot, because that was very uncharacteristic of him.

To the Mavs:
Fantastic team game, everyone knew their roles, Mason did a great job on D, Jacob was brilliant, and Davis was unstoppable. Both Warhurst and Goodenough ran the offenses very well. It was such as contrasting game between the 2 teams, there was so much more discipline in the Mavs game, they knew what they wanted to run, and executed very well. I'm surprised they didn't win by more.

It will be very interesting to see how these 2 teams go in Geelong, as they are both capable pof going places, however, Woodville needs to find their TEAM game before they get on the plane or it could be an ugly weekend. Good luck to the Mavs, they will make some noise (just like the crowd did, what an atmosphere!!)

Reply #2648 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

Congratulations Eastern! You are diserved champions of the championship! Jacob is a master!
It topped off an incredibly good saturday night. I heard the news from afew of the southern boyz who went to the game, and called in for a booze and celebration!

Here, here To Jacob! The great one has struck again!

Comiserations to woodies.

Best of luck in geelong for both teams!

J bags you are a diplomate!

Reply #2658 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Being at the game on Saturday night, I am very disappointed that someone can post such a fabricated story regarding the Mavs cheersquad, which by the way consisted of young Mav players. The majority of them being girls who were there for one reason........to get their heros across the line to win their first championship. The kids that you are referring to were in full voice for ALL of the finals from start to finish. Congratulations to all of those kids, you are an absolute credit to the club!!
Knowing the facts as I do, it seems to me that some people are holding sour grapes.
Congratulations to the Mavs on their sensational win Saturday night!! Good luck to both teams in Geelong.

Reply #2666 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

Woodville have the Colliwobbles - that is GFs in a row - 1 ABL , 2 Summer

Reply #2670 | Report this post

a player  
Years ago

everyone who thinks that eastern are a one man or two man team need to think again what about people like chris mason whose defence was
great the intencity and engery that he brought in the second half got the whole going. then theres players like damian pounsett who has played undersize his whole life but still is a key to the team and is a great big man defender not to mention rebounder.i could go on for ages about what the other 8 people do in this team that get overlooked.jacob and brad are definatly awsome players but form what i saw on saturdaynight this is definatly not a 2 man team

Reply #2671 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

facts are facts - I saw Mavs adults yelling at woodie kids, pointing the finger and then giving the finger - whilst standing up out of their seat.
I don't care if do not believe it.
Facts are facts.

Reply #2672 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

I'm sorry, I was going to let sleeping dogs lie, but due to the last remark being made I wish to inform YOU of the FACTS.
The adult you are referring to was my husband, who was making the woodville u/18 boy, to whom i had just spoken with, aware that he saw what was done behind my back as I was returning to my seat. The actions you are referring to was those of my husband pointing to the lad then pointing to his eye to let him know that he was being watched. To have a 7 year old girl come over to her parents to tell them that they had just had empty bottles thrown at them and then to look up and see the woodville kids throwing a cushion to the rear of the stadium that they had snatched from the mavs kids is a disgrace.
And another fact for your information.........security removed the woodville lads not the mavs kids and also stopped an army of woodville supporters from causing any more distress to the mavs kids. The kids were quite happy sitting behind the basket cheering for their team with no adults sitting with them. The only reason adults moved to sit with the kids was to protect them. You would have had to have been blind freddy not to have seen what happened.

Reply #2677 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

phew ! - thanks for setting the record straight - I was accross the stadium and only saw what i stated - obviously some Woodville fans lost the plot

Reply #2680 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

do I detect a healthy, passionate rivalry on the horizion between these two clubs ?

Reply #2682 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

I appreciate your last reply what the. Apart from the minor scuffle, the crowd on both sides was fantastic and created an atmosphere worthy of a grand final. Well done to all!!

Reply #2683 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I was not there but judging from what has been posted on this thread, I would not call it a healthy rivalry if that is what is going on in the stands...

Reply #2705 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:05 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754