Anonymous
Years ago

Will Rob Loe play for other NBL clubs?

This post contains a spoiler for the NC State Vs St Louis game today, so if you're watching to reply sorry for the spoiler.

St Louis beat NC State in the NCAA tournament today and needed overtime to do so with NZ centre/forward Rob Loe being the star with 22points and 15 rebounds Vs Australian Centre Jordan Vandenburg who ended up with 3 points and 8 rebounds.

Rob Loe is good enough to play in the NBL and probably not good enough to go to Europe. And most people will think automatically he will go to the Breakers as he is a kiwi. But I was wondering, what are the chances that he would look at the Australian NBL clubs to join as he would play as a naturalised player?

If he goes to the Breakers he is most likely behind Alex Pledger and Vukona, whereas 6-11 guys who shoot the 3 are rare in the NBL. I could see someone like Townsville losing Hinder or an Adelaide if they lose Johnson or a Woolongong who have ageing Davidson, Gruber and Forman.

It's probably a foregone conclusion that the Breakers will pick him up but for the most minutes it might be better if he went elsewhere.

Topic #34003 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Youd have to ask him Id say. If he is smart, he will simply go where the money is establish himself and go from there. If Ben Allen can play NBL many can...

Reply #463702 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He was a Breakers Academy player and grew up on Aucklands North Shore, close to the Breakers base but holds a UK passport so may even end up in Europe.
I would say that would be further down the road after a stint in the NBL polishing his game.

Reply #463703 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Well Ben Allen is IN the NBL. Not sure about "playing" in the NBL though. He averages 3.6 minutes per game over 14 games this season.

Reply #463731 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Rob Loe is good enough to play in the NBL and probably not good enough to go to Europe."

The majority of leagues in Europe aren't as good as the NBL, do you mean not good enough for the Euroleague etc?

I think the Breakers will make every effort to bring Loe in, including not re-signing Gary Wilkinson, which is a big sacrifice because Loe has a lot of work to do to be as good as Big Red.

Of course, if that extra room allows them to sign Penney and Jackson I'm sure they'll be ok!

Reply #463743 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

He surely won't be playing in Woolongong. Wherever the fuck that is.

Reply #463749 | Report this post

The Rock  
Years ago

His best college game ever today! ups to him
but still a long road ahead

Reply #463756 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Really nice player.

Was one of the top prospects of the FIBA U/19 WC 2009.

Had some major D1s lined up - including Pitt (Dixon took a visit to NZ to see Loe and found Steven Adams). SLU were nice this year though being ranked.

Loe probably didnt put up the numbers many expected.

I thought the death of Rick Majerus really delayed/hindered his development.

He will suit the Breakers offence perfectly. Very similar game to Wilkinson!
Will enjoy that 5 spot with the opportunity to pop out and shoot from the perimeter

Reply #463763 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree with the comments that he is still raw and needs room to improve.

He won't set the league on fire overnight but certainly wouldn't look out of place in the NBL.

Reply #463816 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Richard Clarke (NZ Breakers GM) has confirmed that the Breakers will be pursuing Rob Loe when they are able to (as he's currently playing NCAA he cannot yet be approached).
Clarke has also said that Kirk Penney will probably not be back next season although it is likely he will be back just a little further down the road.
The Breakers also have not yet formally approached Cedric Jackson about a possible return although several players are in contact with him.

Tom Abercrombie is expected to test the water in Europe in this offseason so is not a certainty to return.

Staying.

Webster, TeRangi, Corletto, Vukona, Pledger

Leaving.

Bruton

Questionable.

Abercrombie, Wilkinson, Johnson, Frank

Reply #463846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Robs senior year college numbers are similar to Ben Allens senior numbers and they played a similar level of college ball! Hope for the Breakers sake he turns out better than him! He had a great game yesterday though

Reply #463851 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cody Ellis hasn't exactly set the league on fire yet either.

Reply #463854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the reality of the NBL.

Players coming back from College aren't choosing to play here in the NBL - they come here because they aren't good enough for Europe or the NBA.

How the hell can you market a league when you haven't got great talent?

Reply #463862 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Players coming back from College aren't choosing to play here in the NBL - they come here because they aren't good enough for Europe or the NBA."

who killed JFK?

Reply #463863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How the hell can you market a league when you haven't got great talent?"

The NRL manages pretty well.

Reply #463907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't he an actor?

Reply #464104 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I don't know anything other than I've read on here about Rob Lowe but if Breakers want him and its am issue of $ then why would they re-sign Corey Webster?

I'm over him, he is your classic young player that choc full of talent and doesn't deliver. Surely he has already peaked and he looks so lazy on the court.

If Webster gets a new contract will that be because he knows the systems and players and they don't want to feel they wasted their efforts on him or will he keep getting contracts due to his potential?

At this point of time I'd put Cadee, Tomlinson, Demos and Norton ahead of Webster and I'm not sure anyone thought that before the season started

Reply #464114 | Report this post

insider  
Years ago

I can tell you on excellent authority that Rob will not play NBL any time soon. I am unsure what volume of Billikens games people here have watched, but I can tell you, he is going to a good European League at worst.

Reply #470375 | Report this post

NBomb  
Years ago

Believe he could be suiting up in the NZ NBL for a few games before the World Cup, and then it'll depend on how many teams' interest he has piqued. But Europe is likely the go.

Reply #470512 | Report this post

NBomb  
Years ago

Playing for the Warriors in Summer League: http://nzhoops.co.nz/loe-play-warriors-summer-league/

Reply #480547 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:14 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754