chris
Years ago

Tributes to CJ Bruton

Even though there is nothing on this game in terms of championship points for Cairns or NZ it is a massive game in terms of Breaker fans making a heart felt tribute to CJ and what he has done for this club and NZ basketball.

What are some of your memories of CJ over the past twenty odd years?

Topic #34004 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three quarter court buzzer beater shot for the Wildcats when he was 17 in 1994.

Reply #463683 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Destroying every team on numerous occasions.

Reply #463686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ teasing Vlahov but never intending to be a Wildcat again. hahaha

Well played after the Wildcats purposely ruining his chance of playing for an NCAA Division I school. Such a low dog act.

Reply #463688 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

That OT-forcing three pointer over Aaron Grabau in game 2 of the 2011 Grand Final series...then missing the game winning three from exactly the same spot in round 2 this season.

Reply #463690 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I remember that 3 quarter court shot he made as a rookie in 1994.
Still got drafted in 1997 after 2 years of juco ball.

Reply #463691 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

#688 that must be like when CJ used his Euro out-clause to leave the Kings but then sign with the cashed-up Bullets a month later.

Yeah, the Kings must have done a low, dog act to deserve that happening.

Reply #463696 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe focus on his NZ highlights? Isn't he planning to play another season back with an Australian team?

I imagine he's already got something sorted with a club somewhere.

Reply #463697 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Wow didn't know that, anon. Poor form on the Wildcats behalf.

Reply #463700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His Ezy Plus tv commercial. (it's on youtube)

"Oh boy!"

Reply #463701 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

That is SO weird.

This thread just reminded me that I had a dream I was talking to CJ Bruton at his final game during a tribute.

Weird.

Reply #463704 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Lets not forget a hat trick of titles im sure Breakers fans will like that.

Reply #463705 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

CJ aint retiring people

Reply #463707 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Clutch! Great bloke to talk to i might add and thanx for the good and bad memories! All the best! Hope he hits the 3 for the win tonight!

Reply #463709 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Only decent point guard for the Boomers over a long period. Still hasn't received the credit he deserves!

Reply #463712 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Bullets come-from-behind win against the Wildcats on a Saturday afternoon at Challenge stadium- CJ and dusty rychart (and others) tore the Cats a new one!!

Reply #463713 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Well played after the Wildcats purposely ruining his chance of playing for an NCAA Division I school. Such a low dog act."
...what?

Reply #463716 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Sorry Statsheet, can you please elaborate on what happened re: Bruton and the Wildcats? Thanks.

Reply #463717 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Haha you're looking for an argument again aren't you, Situation?

Reply #463718 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I'm asking you to explain what you know about the suggested happenings from the anonymous poster.

Reply #463719 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Nothing, that's the point. Surely you would've interpreted that as "poor form on the Wildcats behalf (if true)".

You act as though anons have less a place on this forum because, among other things, it's a reputation/rapport thing, right? So I pose this: does the character I portray on this site reflect 'easily influenced' or 'believing of everything read'? The answer is no. And that's your own argument on anons -- make everyone post under a username so we know who it is and we know what character we're dealing with. You're just a perennial pain in the ass, dude. Find someone else to argue with.

Reply #463721 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

People are coming here to read and contribute on matters of CJ Bruton. They aren't coming here to read a stupid argument.

Reply #463722 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Yeah, my mistake for not imaging a couple of extra words at the end of your sentence which change it's meaning. You call me a pain in the ass - you take your fair share of potshots at other posters too. You're just not very good at it. But moving on...

When CJ has hit the Cats with many clutch daggers over the years, it's sickening, yet for some reason I'm kinda glad it was him. He's a good dude, his dad is a league legend, and I don't mind as much when it's one of the all time greats doing what he's been doing for years. It's almost expected and I've sadly learned to live with it.

Reply #463725 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

If CJ isn't retiring where's he playing next season?

Reply #463726 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

The Taipans just gave CJ an extra-special orange-flavoured retirement present I'd been hoping for...

Reply #463727 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Be careful what you wish for, CT. Hopefully Fearne was already fired BEFORE that game.

Must admit though, we looked pretty good when the ball moved like it did tonight.

Reply #463728 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

0% chance of Fearne going before the end of next season SS. They can't afford to fire him and he won't go willingly. Everything that's come out of the club since 'that game' has stressed the involvement of 'Coach Fearne'. Whether we like it or not we're stuck with him for one last year.

Reply #463730 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Home loss and big Bruton minutes. Maybe he's done after all? Shopping himself around aggressively.

Reply #463732 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Haha, yeah a part of me knows that, CT :(

I just want him gone. Good for Fearne though; as soon as he told the guys they were playing too fast, they slowed the pace and got on top of the game.

Reply #463734 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

If the points cap remains, I can't see any club taking a risk on his (presumably) 7 points for one season. I also can't see why his rating would drop below that.

Reply #463737 | Report this post

Fm  
Years ago

CJ has singlehanded destroyed the morale of every single team.

As slow as he is now, he still puts in a little burst and buries the three.

He hasn't given Adelaide a crack. Would make a great 3 minutes per quarter player in any side.

Reply #463739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has anyone played for more teams in NBL history than CJ?

Perth
Brisbane
Wollongong
Canberra
Sydney
Brisbane (again)
New Zealand

Reply #463740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Legend.

Great charisma

Community minded.

A special person.

And a tremendous basketball player

Reply #463741 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I'd guess Ben Knight and Matt Shanahan played for more?

Reply #463742 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I doubt he would be a 7 next year, he's averaged 6p at 34%, I reckon that would get a 5?? That's if there is a points cap next year.

Reply #463745 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And word is, he'd play for peanuts. I guess just to show the Breakers he can still play. But you can't blame them for passing on him now with Webster, Corletto and Te Rangi.

Reply #463747 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think he wants back to the Breakers does he? I know two years ago when he re-signed he said that would be it in NZ.

Reply #463750 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

come on SS... still with the "Sack Fearne" bizness... you need a hug bro:)

Love CJ and how he operates. Quality baller, quality human from all reports. Would be a great locker room presence on any team, especially one with some burgeoning future superstars on their roster.
I reckon he'd look great in Orange.

Reply #463773 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I don't think he'd look good in orange. He's too gangsta for orange.

Reply #463778 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

haha no one is too gangsta for Orange my friend.

Except for maybe Vanilla Ice.........

Reply #463779 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Btw, Podge, you can't see how bad he is because your head is so far up his ass. No offense at all; just your opinion on Fearne is a little misguided imo :)

I wasn't trying to start another anti Fearne campaign, it was a simple joke. Good to see the boys get up though. Hopefully it's the start of a winning streak... one spearheaded by new recruits Rotnei Clarke and Sam Young.

Reply #463783 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cairns needs D and to maintain focus on youth. CJ is the exact opposite.

Reply #463784 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

agree Isaac, not saying they need him on court but as a locker room guy and a mentor to the young guys.

Reply #463792 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ wouldn't have won 1 title let alone 3 in a row without CJ. He would have to go down as one of the most "Clutch" players to ever play in the NBL and can probably take a bit of credit for how good Corey Webster is these days.

Played one to many seasons at the Breakers imo.

Reply #463835 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Heard that he doesn't want to be retired/finished.
Is it possible to sign elsewhere?

Reply #463840 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Just throwing it out there ...could be a good fit at Melbourne to backup/mentor Tomlinson

Reply #463852 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Who knows if he is retiring or what not but I would have NO problems slotting him in somewhere on the 6ers next year...

I would say CJ Was one of the best point guards the Australian team ever had. Def top 4 or 5 boomers point guards no question

Reply #463855 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

hopefully they scrap the points cap. pretty hard to fit the old boy in a roster until that happens.

Reply #463865 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

It would be a shame to see him miss out due to points cap. As Paul pointed out hopefully he is rated at a 5 next year to see his career end on his terms. Still see him going to Melb or Sydney

Reply #463868 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

As a Breakers fan it would annoy me a little if the points cap was retained and he was re-valued as a 5 as NZ made sacrifices to fit him in their squad with his current rating.
As a CJ Bruton fan I'd be real happy to see him keep playing some minutes somewhere in the league.

Reply #463870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Still got drafted in 1997 after 2 years of juco ball."

Imagine if he played for a NCAA Division I school. After his minimal rookie season Wildcats didn't want him to leave so ruined his chances at college by actively informing schools in the States that he was a pro. Therefore he had to go to junior college due to eligibility issues generated by Perth. Wildcats thought they were being smart but he still went over. Very sad that a club would do this especially since his father contributed to it.

Reply #463939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very sad that a club would do this especially since his father contributed to the club and its popularity.

Reply #463940 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

...they wouldn't have been able to do it if he hadn't been a pro, and he would have been ineligible even if they hadn't done it.

He signed the contract, he made himself ineligible. End of.

Reply #463954 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Having a sook about something that happened 20 years ago seems pointless.
CJ signed with Perth, no doubt with his fathers support.

Reply #463956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The lines were blurred back in the early 90s.

There was no clear NCAA rules on overseas players, see Gaze at Seton Hall. Clearly you have no idea.

It wasn't as well legislated back then as it is now.

Wildcats got on the phone to the States to make it clear he was a pro, if it wasn't for that he would have played Div I. He still went to junior college so it was not a clear situation.

Reply #463957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ still holds a grudge that's why he never signed back up with the Cats even though his mother and all siblings live in Perth (only Cal lives in Canberra). What does that tell you? Oh wait CJ you should stop sooking for being screwed over in reaching your dreams!

Reply #463958 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:39 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754