Best venue to play in: Perth Arena 49%

Team with most vocal fans: Perth 66%

Favourite to win the championship: Perth 59%

Best referee: Michael Aylen 33%

http://www.nbl.com.au/article/id/r640q2fsb1ig10qmb3bbfcppi

Topic #34006 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

50 point games notwithstanding, am I the only one who notices that chris goulding shoots a touch under 37% from 3? Also that is a career best mark by far.

He is a great scorer. A volume scorer.

Not a great shooter though.

Reply #463720 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

James Ennis best dunker? Please...

I'd also say Young is more versatile than Worthington.

Reply #463723 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Wait, I forgot about the work Worthington does after the whistle.

Reply #463724 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Who is a better dunker than Ennis? Not that he has done anything that we've never seen before but by sheer volume, fast break dunks, lob passes, and in traffic and posterising numerous defenders....dunno, can't think of anyone better in the league this year.

Reply #463729 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Young is twice the dunker Ennis is

Reply #463735 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Not this season.

Reply #463738 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Young is a better power dunker, but Ennis is getting a lot more opportunities.

Reply #463748 | Report this post

The Rock  
Years ago

old legs vs young gun?

Reply #463752 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"am I the only one who notices that chris goulding shoots a touch under 37% from 3?"

Andrew Gaze was a career 36% three-point shooter from memory, to hit that percentage with so much defensive attention is pretty impressive. Goulding hits shots no one else in the league can.

I also think Young's dunks are more impressive than Ennis', but Perth have had more TV games and the Wildcats do a great job of promoting their highlights.

Reply #463754 | Report this post

The Rock  
Years ago

young dunks with alot of power!
seen a few failed dunks from ennis

Reply #463757 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

@Mick - Goulding has been forced to take some ridiculously difficult shots this season due to an offense which has oft been stagnant.

If Morrison isn't exploiting his matchup in the post, Tomlinson isn't finding open shooters or cutters off the pick and roll and Worthington isn't using his craftiness to manifest buckets, the puck falls to Goulding. For all the bail-out shots Goulding was hitting in the early rounds of the season, he has missed many more.

You'd have to put a gun to my head for me to choose between Goulding and someone like Madgen (also a great shooter by NBL standards) to take an open trey.

Nobody shoots more jumpshots fading right than Madgen; nobody shoots more jumpshots while fading or obscurely contorting their body in any other direction than Goulding... and he does so at a very solid 44fg% 33tp%.

Reply #463758 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Wow I just read that Tomlinson is voted as second best point guard in the league.

Reply #463759 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Led the league in assists, runs the offence intelligently, in terms of a pure PG he is pretty good as opposed to second best player who happens to play the 1.

Reply #463764 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Paul, do you honestly think he belongs in the top three?

Reply #463769 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In terms of pure PGs the two Martins, Markovic and Tomlinson stand out for me.

Reply #463771 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Of course, Paul, because they are the only pure point guards in the league. And in the list of those four, I'd probably put Tomlinson third at best. But that's not what the question asked per se. Or was that the way it was posed to players?

Because contemporary scoring point guards are phasing out traditional point guards all around the world, so being a traditional point guard doesn't mean much in terms of standalone production and shouldn't really be recognised as they are the minority. It should just be best to play the point guard spot.

Especially with the NBL being a league that needs a lot of volume scoring PGs due to the lack of Aussie scoring talent here. If Tomlinson had more scoring ability, you have to admit Melbourne's offense would run a heck of a lot better. They have no perimeter play that does it for them apart from Goulding and occasionally Farrakhan.

I'd put (in no particular order) Ervin, Clarke, Markovic, D Martin, probably R Martin, Gibson, Sanders and maybe Wilson in front of Tomlinson.

Reply #463776 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Especially with the NBL being a league that needs a lot of volume scoring PGs due to the lack of Aussie scoring talent here. "

Not sure about that, lots of teams with multiple scoring options, it's a real feature of the NBL for mine.

While we get a lot of scoring PGs, guys like Martin, Jackson, D-Mac and Mee have consistently gotten deep into the playoffs. It's what fits your roster I suppose.

Melbourne's offence is quite European in style where low-scoring PGs are very common, Nate played that role in college too and was very valuable.

So for me it depends on the question. He is a better pure PG than Clarke but not nearly as good a player. At the end of the day his team is in third with a middle of the road roster and I think he's done his job well.

Reply #463790 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Obviously the 57 out of 80 players who voted Ennis as the best dunker only see him dunk on tv and on the Wildcats twitter feed.

Reply #463791 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Obviously, only possible conclusion.

Reply #463793 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Paul, I disagree. We have little scoring ability from the point guard spot. Not all systems are as well run as Gordie's, players need to be able to create in the NBL. Name the Aussie point guards here who can consistently help their team score.

And their roster is pretty darn good. There are guys who deserve more credit than they get -- guys who have been doing it for ages like Wortho, Greer, Walker (who is still developing).

All in all, you can't complain with third spot, but the offense does get very stagnant at times.

Reply #463796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SS,

Don't bother paul thinks Nate Tomlinson is growing into stardom!

http://www.nbl.com.au/article/id/zzncrt2y0o9f1v9fy6ivuro4f

Reply #463810 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Gee Paul you talk some stuff. Melbourne has a middle of the road roster?
League leader in scoring and likely MVP, league leader in assists, Ballinger off the bench who can still give a team a big number, ScoMo is a double double most nights and Wortho. Walker is a tough cover and Greer is a great O boarder.

Reply #463818 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Martin, Martin, Markovic, Gibson and Norton all help their teams score, as does Gliddon when he is running the show in Cairns. Tomlinson helps his team score but not in the way you're thinking.

Melbourne's roster has two really good Aussies, two role playing imports, four role playing Aussies and two low end Aussies.

That's behind Perth, Adelaide, New Zealand and Cairns for mine on pure talent, and possibly behind Sydney too.

But I agree, the offence gets stagnant when they don't flow into it from transition, it's a weakness most of the league knows about and Adelaide will be trying to exploit that next week.

Reply #463832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach least likely to play for: Shane Heal 100%

Reply #464101 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'm a big fan of Tomlinson (he's been in my Dream Team all season long) and I rate him highly, however I'd love to see him be more aggressive and try penetrating to the basket more as that is something that seems a weakness for Tomlinson.

Prime example is Jesse Sanders who isn't great offensively but looked so much better when he was driving to the basket and looking for his shot and hopefully it's something that Nate works on over the off season.

Next season it looks like Stephen Dennis could be back for Melbourne so if that means Nate comes off the bench then how do you think he could make the best impact ? Playing his pass first style or looking for his shot more and trying to get to the basket more?

Another fine young Aussie isn't guard that's impressing me is Mitch Norton, he'd be my early tip for most improved player next year and I think his name may be in the discussion (maybe a little undeserving like Tomlinson has this year)

Reply #464120 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

"Best point guard: Damian Martin 32%

Best defender: Damian Martin 65%"

"Best sportsmen/fairest: Damian Martin 44%

Talks the most trash: Gary Ervin 34%"

"Toughest venue to play in: Perth Arena 72%

Best venue to play in: Perth Arena 49%

Team with most vocal fans: Perth 66%"

Mhh-mhmmm.

Reply #464346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most arrogant fans: Perth 100%

Reply #464444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most arrogant fans: Perth 100%

Reply #464445 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Most repetitive posting: Anon 100%

Reply #464456 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:15 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754