Isaac
Years ago

Heal stands down as Kings head coach

So says ATF on Twitter.

Topic #34008 | Report this topic

D4444  
Years ago

Chances are he only had 1 game left in the role anyway.

Reply #463762 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Announced it in presser.

Reply #463765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. Seriously suprised bout this.

cotter to take the rains?

Reply #463770 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Hardly surprising given they will miss the playoffs now. Sanders coming back in didnt have the desired effect and they weren't really able to click the whole season. Heal has to take the heat for that

Reply #463774 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Every coaching job in the NBL seems sorted so I guess he knew he was done, locked in the NZNBL gig (next best option down the chain) and then stood down a game before they were going to do it for him.

Reply #463780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings were done as soon as crosswhite left and they bought in Ben Allen. Paying him and Gleeson any money this year has been a joke. Kings management have every right to be furious at him

Reply #463782 | Report this post

Dale  
Years ago

Anon... Furious at him (Crosswhite or Heal??)

Reply #463786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal his decisions have been poor this year.. I'm thinking back to the owner slagging him behind the bench and sacking sanders first time. With his roster which HE put together he should be making playoffs.

If crosswhite stayed on this year they would be title contenders.

Reply #463789 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

So whos in the mix to replace him.Al Westover must be a big chance if he wants it.

Reply #463795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely kings will chase bevo if they had any sense.

Reply #463801 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

You would expect Bevo to be top of their list but I'm not so sure he'd want the job.

Reply #463803 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, that's the pickle, isn't it... You can have anyone at the top of your list but they have to be willing...

Can't have owners interfering and making decisions about players, can't have drunk owners heckling and swearing at you from their corporate boxes...

Reply #463806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember a few months ago on here someone said they had inside info that if the Kings didn't win a playoff game this year Heal wasn't going to be re-signed.

Pretty weak though by Heal to jump first just to try and save face.

Reply #463809 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Jumping before being pushed... trying to make it look like he had the final say or knowing the writing was one the wall.
If Sydney can get a legitimate coach and 2 good imports next year then anything is possible.
Young had flash stats but usually put himself before the team imo.

Reply #463811 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Announced to press but didn't tell hi players.

Reply #463813 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

They will no doubt be chasing Gorj straight off the bat. Ogilvy is a must in the signings, and also with a new offensive structure that is better suited to the team needs. more touches down low for the big guy, and less isolation off wings. Young can go iso, but Madgen is a slasher/shooter.

Cody Ellis didn't really show me why he should be a 20-25 min player, especially given input Brad Hill was getting as a Slashing 4 man early.

Kevin White is not an NBL player.

Sanders needs to be replaced by a more dynamic type PG import with a jumpshot.

Bye Bye Ben Allen.

New Coach, better system designed for something more than iso's, 3's or jumpshots with a similar roster should do the trick.

Reply #463814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to Sanders being the saviour!? People made such a big deal about him coming back making the Kings this super team, purely because he is a nice guy haha

Nice touch Shane, quitting game early, way to see it through. Character has been shown on that one...

Reply #463819 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Well said Achtung Baby

Reply #463820 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Bevo for Sydney according to Radio ^PR in perth.
No further followup anywhere which is strange coming out of Perth.
However, smart move.
AJ def to Europe!!!

Reply #463821 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Before Young, they certainly didn't have a playoff roster IMO.

Reply #463827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like seeing the Sydney Knicks spend big and not get things done.

Hopefully the same happens next year.

Reply #463829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last years roster was half as talented and made the four. Think it is a combination of heal and management. Be interesting to see who stays and who goes.

Reply #463830 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Kings were 1-4 in the first five games after each import change and 10-7 in the rest of their games. If it's true decisions were being made at higher levels that makes it tough for the coach.

Heal didn't do a perfect job by any means, but he definitely did a pretty solid job in the circumstances IMO.

Reply #463831 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

I think we know the answer to that.
Heal going and management staying.
Altho I agree it was tuff for Heal re the imports, he still had total control over the rest and managed to be a dictator with that lot. Took his own frustrations out on the remaining players instead of grouping together. "Us against them"
You can't say for one minute they were united last few weeks, except Heal and Madgen.

Reply #463839 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree with that. It's a worry when the coach is trying to coax effort constantly in time-outs. Almost everyone involved worrying more about what they are doing next season with contracts up in the air.

Reply #463842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was done when he signed Hill!!

Reply #463844 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

with the Wellington Saints wanting to enter the NBL maybe Heal see's coaching them in the NZNBL as a stepping stone to that job?

Reply #463850 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Someone mentioned Cody Ellis. I have been pretty underwhelmed thus far with him. Wasn't the guy meant to be a potential boomer? Looking a bit more like a potential ben allen to me right now.

Reply #463856 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Mystro,
absolutely agree.
Think the Wellington NBL and Heal story is starting to gain some momentum.

Reply #463857 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Reading Heal's statement/interview on NBL site...
it's one of the most to the point but reserved statements I've seen. Just a basic set of facts, little emotion.

Reply #463858 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

With future expansion we haven't seen the last of Heal.
Bevo would have to be in their sights.
I might be one of the few that still thinks Brad Hill should be in the NBL next year.

Reply #463859 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Hill screwed over more than anyone.
Cannot understand that one.

Reply #463861 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I don't know what went on with Hill behind the scenes, he may have trained terribly or had a poor attitude towards peroxide.

Reply #463864 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Bevo would be at the top of their list and will probably come down to whether he wants to take it or not.

Reply #463867 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

Is Mark Price still an option in the NBL? Sign that dude up straight away!

Reply #463872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rob Beveridge
Damian Cotter
Al Westover

Reply #463874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In order of guaranteed success:
Goorjian
Bevo
Liam Flynn
Westover
Stacker
Molloy
Vickerman

Reply #463875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Phil Smyth an option?

I think the cleaning up of the physical stuff on the ball carriers would really suit his style, and his teams play an entertaining, free flowing style, which is fan friendly and if you give him a decent roster he will usually win a fair bit.

I also reckon he would be good for a guy like Madgen and would get more out of a Sam Young type also.

Reply #463876 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

While Bevo and Goorjian would be prime candidates are there any top assistants to consider such as Kevin Brooks for example?

Reply #463877 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Heal has always been divisive in his approach and the results on that on the Kings team were glaringly obvious in recent weeks with several players looking like they wanted to be anywhere else.

Reply #463878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You got the sense that pretty much the only directive Heal gave Sam Young was to push the ball and go hard at the rim at every opportunity. Amidst all the spectacular plays were too many momentum-killing turnovers where he misread the tempo and game situation.

I don't know if it was a case of Sam Young just not being very coachable or whether Heal didn't feel comfortable exerting his authority over an NBA player rather than massaging his ego. Or maybe Heal actually thought he had a good game strategy and was using Young the right way.

Reply #463879 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Goorjian's guaranteed success comes with the reality of not having a club to support in two years. Hire him at your own peril.

Reply #463891 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Heal recruited Ellis over Hill and tried to justify decision. Ellis very average after making some shots early. One of his many mistakes with roster. Hill rated third most versatile player in NBL by peers. Team consistently giving up 100 ppg over last part of season. Team not playing for coach or just horrible strategy? Or both?

Reply #463894 | Report this post

James C  
Years ago

Jumped before pushed would seem the case here. In this day in age the new coach would already be in place. Kings biggest underachieving team this year?...... apart from NZ? I be thinking so...

Reply #463901 | Report this post

James C  
Years ago

Jumped before pushed would seem the case here. In this day in age the new coach would already be in place. Kings biggest underachieving team this year?...... apart from NZ? I be thinking so...

Reply #463902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damien martin will follow Bevo to Sydney at seasons end.

Reply #463903 | Report this post

Scopes44  
Years ago

Why are people making Cody Ellis conclusions after half a season and playing catch up every game. He is a talent and a grear future. His minutes were inconsistent. He is by no means a Ben Allen duplicate as alluded too above.
The problem, was the chopping and changing of import and the Aussie content not fitting together.
Madgen and Garlepp already signed
Ellis has another year

Hill, Gleeson, White all need to go.

Ogilvy should go to Europe to play for better teams and not get subbed irregularly or inconsistent plays for him down low.

Sydney will bounce back with a Bevo or similar credentialed coach

Reply #463905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Jumping before being pushed... trying to make it look like he had the final say or knowing the writing was one the wall."

Of course that is Heal's personality. Always has to have the last say.

Goorjian - gaining ground on making the Final in the CBA in China. Lost in semis this season but may win a championship soon plus making $$$ over there. Wouldn't come back the the Kings anyway plus if he did or anywhere else say goodbye to your club in a few seasons time with $$$ spending.

Beveridge - if he wants it you would think he'll get it but who knows with the Kings management as they like hiring their mates over coaches and players with better credentials.

Cody Ellis - good player but was under a dodgy coach in Heal. Give him a full season under proper tutelage and then make up what you think of him. Although the mates jobs also applies here as apparently the word is Mike Ellis was tight with some Kings management so gave sonny a job even though he could only play half the season.

Kings - with a real coach = success? Or will the management hinder the new coach. Time will tell as Heal really sucked so maybe that is why management felt the need to meddle with players and other affairs. I know I along with most knowledgeable NBL fans always thought it was a bad signing.

Mark Price - should have been hired by Kings to replace Heal at the end of the season just for laughs. Would have been hilarious.

Heal - so desperate he has had to go to NZ NBL. Wellington would already be thinking "uh oh" as after hiring him he potentially was involved in the biggest choke in NBL history in terms of losing a playoff spot. Finishes in 6th after sitting in 4th for a long time. After Heal is sacked by Wellington and there are no more coaching gigs he will have to face life without a basketball related job as his passive businesses went under and cause bankruptcy. Finally may have to get a real job and with his attitude I doubt he work well with others but if it happens may finally teach him a lesson after all these years. Being a star sportsmen means you can get away with being the way you are but once the gravy train jobs from your sport dry up and your investments go sour reality will finally set in. Good luck you'll need it.

Hawks and their supporter base - are sending kisses to Heal and Kings thanks xx thanks guys!

Reply #463928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hill treated horribly by heal. Clearly an nbl quality player maybe not at he 4 spot! Heal recruited him promised the world to him and then treated him so poorly says a lot more about heal than it does hill. Hill will bounce back ne has a point to prove and will have. Massive seabl season!

Reply #463929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Hill sitting on the pine was unbelievable. Perhaps he stepped up to Heal so despite his talent was benched? Really feel for the guy as it is a season wasted and may not put him in a good light in potentially getting a new gig in 2014-15.

Reply #463931 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Cody Ellis may be better under another coach but his performance this season with pretty consistent minutes was average. Shooting 37% very underwhelming and similar to college stats.
Statistically one of the worst performing players in league per. Pick and pop guy only.

Reply #463933 | Report this post

JWC  
Years ago

After his seabl season last year, I agree that Hill has been grossly under used. should have gotten much more time, Couple of games he got in for a qtr and scored 10 ish, and had the skills to really help the team. Think he should have gotten Ellis's minutes although hindsight is easy. Ellis really needs a good coach to improve his game.

Also interesting that Goorjian was made a Legend at the game today, which says the management group have been in touch...Wonder if he is getting tired of China and would consider a return to OZ.

Would like to keep Ogilvie but probably doubtful...think keeping White is a mistake. You can teach defence but White just can't put points on the board. Should be keeping Hill instead. Harvey and allen, time to retire.

Like Sanders hustle and last few games he has quitely puts both Assists and points on the board.

Reply #463966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings win. Heal leaving is a huge plus. Now lets sort out the owners.

Reply #463974 | Report this post

bowtei  
Years ago

Heal's treatment of his players, in general besides Madgen who became a "yes, sir" captain, was a major crush to them. Obviously a very solid, off court promo speaker but put him into training sessions with injured players, owner favourites, rookie talent, veterans etc etc and it's no longer easy. Heal could be a mentor but not whilst a coach. Nothing worse than a coach who forgets how it was to be a player and won't look for the answers to team problems because he can't be wrong. "A deer in the headlights" applies to a lot of new coaches. Some survive, an awful lot don't. Would Heal ever have been a coach if his finances hadn't collapsed? I think not. That answers a lot.

Reply #463978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Way to much owner interference. Since Wavish left the owners are out of control. Another reason Heal left.

Reply #463986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a big fan of Shane Heal, but heard he ripped into Sam Young who went to the owners and complained. They told him not to yell at Sam. Who does he think he is?

Reply #464042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bowtie,

Heal was a coach in the NBL years before his business interests blew up.

He was player/coach for the South Dragons, remember the Mark Price coup?

Reply #464044 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Yep, I remember the Dragon thing. Was signed up to play and then one thing led to another, led to a coaching role then led to a sacking. But regarding the last few years, I'm sure he was not planning to return to an NBL coaching spot. His business interests were extensive and successful. Busy busy.
The year at the Blaze was a favour to mate Joyce.

Reply #464046 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Took out his enormous frustrations re Young on his team? Didn't think about that, maybe that was the problem?

Reply #464048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The year at the Blaze was a favour to mate j0yce."

I think it was more the other away around, Heal was done at that point.

Reply #464050 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

And happy to be done, all the business commitments etc. Sure looked like a favour to BJ from my end.

Reply #464066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Would Heal ever have been a coach if his finances hadn't collapsed? I think not. That answers a lot."

Bingo plus he can't coach. A last resort job which he didn't have the skills for to make matters worse.

He never played D so how can he coach it.

"Not a big fan of Shane Heal, but heard he ripped into Sam Young who went to the owners and complained. They told him not to yell at Sam. Who does he think he is?"

Exactly but many on here are blaming the poor form on import switches when reality it was poor man management by coach and owners, no matter who the personnel were changed to the player management skills were pathetic.

Reply #464071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re: j0yce & Heal

Remember Heal was retired and settled on the Gold Coast. It really was a favour to Heal for a last swansong in his own backyard. Very selfish by Heal but the owners had no idea bringing in j0yce & son and splashing cash as if it was out of fashion.

It's a running theme Heal has milked many benefactors first at Dragons when he was already on a slide then Blaze he was really out of it by that stage. Then bankruptcy comes so he milks dumb owners from a coaching aspect in respect to the Kings brass and now found another sugar daddy in Wellington who must be thinking uh oh after the Kings choke.

Reply #464072 | Report this post

Bert  
Years ago

Seeya shane don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Reply #464081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal was and is a lousy coach on game day, a guy with a losing record who has traded off his name and celebrity for years to hide the fact that he has never gotten the job done.

He's a great excuse maker who is never at fault when things go wrong, a complete narcissist who was in the Kings job for all the wrong reasons. Not telling the team he was leaving then just blurting it out in a press conference says it all. Shane Heal is about Shane Heal, no one else.

He had a sugar daddy at the Kings who he was hoping to use to get out of his bankruptcy issues, but when it became obvious that his coaching ability was grossly overrated, the sugar daddy turned his back on Heal and that was that.

Good luck to whoever picks this guy up, because there is a lot of baggage that comes with him.

Reply #464097 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I don't understand the hate, I know in NBL we are all a tight nit community that wants to see every stadium packed, every team commercially viable and have the best coaches and players that we can get, so we are given the chance to see them live when they come to town.

Now we have Hammer who gets a reaction from fans as much as anyone in NBL history and everyone just wants to rip into him after he leaves ?

I hope he gets a job again in the NBL and heard on NBL.tv about him signing with Tasmania and I think that would be a potentially good acquisition in terms of getting sponsorship.

I haven't paid great enough attention to him bankrupting teams and I think that's all speculation. You don't sell your arse just because a coach think its a good idea, it defies all the business sense that was required for 'money bags' to be in the position to own a basketball club to begin with.

Lastly you have to wonder what Aaron Bruce thinks about this and would he be on Hammers side or the owners?

Reply #464118 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Kirk Penney - captain/coach

Reply #464119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal will not be coaching in Tasmania.

Reply #464127 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Now we have Hammer who gets a reaction from fans as much as anyone in NBL history and everyone just wants to rip into him after he leaves ?

To be fair, people were ripping in to him before he pussed out...

Apart from all the personal attacks and comments on his business acumen, pretty much most of the comments have been valid... Never seemed to get the effort out of his players, under utilised certain players, wasn't flexible or adaptive on game day and very deer in the headlights...

I like how he got the most out of last seasons team and I think did more good than harm, but things did not go well this season... I'm the first to declare ownership shenanigans, and that's never good to have to deal with as a coach, but he's had his most talented team since signing on this season, and just couldn't get it done. Lots of excuses, finger pointing and no real acceptance of any blame or criticism...

A great character for the game, and I think was a good experiment to try and I think it worked early on, but it wasn't working for most of this season, so it's time for a change...

Reply #464166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

proud as a tight knit NBL community the fans want to see coaches who have the credentials to run a pro team. not someone who is merely a character who turns their side into a laughing stock.

Fans pay to see talented players executing a gameplan by experienced coaches, not an ex-player "name" hoodwinking as one as his business collapsed and has gone on to Plan B.

Reply #464248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Before we blame the owners, don't trades happen in the NBA all the time. Players and coaches just have to live with it.

Reply #464250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Before we blame the owners, don't trades happen in the NBA all the time. Players and coaches just have to live with it.

Reply #464251 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Of course they do but not sure how much the owners get involved and make the coach tolerate a whole lot of problems caused by the import.
Heal should have banded with the rest of his roster, instead he left them out in the cold but still expected them to perform above and beyond.
They were out of position, out of favour and just plain out....

Reply #464283 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I can't think of an NBA team that's ever traded three starters and a significant bench player mid-season with no performance issues while trying to build a contender. Trades involving a lot of players tend to happen as salary dumps, not attempts to contend, and they generally don't happen so close to the end of the season. And that's ignoring the fact that it was three separate events spread out over the season, not one event involving three players.

The Kings slumped every single time they made an import change. That's not a coincidence.

Reply #464286 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Unfortunately, we all agreeing that the owners were to blame for a big lot of the demise, doesn't help the players get over a hugely, failed season.
Anyone giving them a "sorry" bonus ?

Reply #464292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing worse than a coach who forgets how it was to be a player and won't look for the answers to team problems because he can't be wrong. "A deer in the headlights" applies to a lot of new coaches. Some survive, an awful lot don't. Would Heal ever have been a coach if his finances hadn't collapsed? I think not. That answers a lot.
This guy hit the nail on the head.

Reply #464402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings slumped as Heal was a poor coach.

Reply #464440 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:25 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754