Klondike
Years ago

Pakenham Warriors sign Brett Rainbow

Did anybody else see this?

Good signing on first thought but how good hell
Be who knows really. What do people think?

Topic #34018 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

How old is he now??? I can remember him at Melbourne in 93 which is 23 years ago...

Reply #464082 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Is this a joke?

Reply #464084 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

What will they do with Brett?
Wheel him out at 1/2 time and watch him Dunk on U10 ring?

Reply #464087 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The rare double-edged awesomeness of having an undercut and mullet at the same time is not to be underestimated.

Reply #464090 | Report this post

Qwerty  
Years ago

Can't wait for the official press release about how Ryan Rogers turned his life around and helped him love basketball again after the death of his gold fish.

Reply #464106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep it's confirmed. Check the Big V clearances. You'll also see that Ryan Rogers has revived his clearance so he can suit up. He has been talking about doing this a fair bit, looks like it's going to happen now.

Reply #464107 | Report this post

The Rock  
Years ago

he can still dunk last i heard

Reply #464109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ryan Rogers dunk? Maybe dunk a 6 foot ring off a trampoline.

Reply #464113 | Report this post

Duffman  
Years ago

This is no lie;

A couple of years back we saw Brett Rainbow at a 36ers game, he actually had a white metro tshirt on that had RAINBOW with a big number 23 screen printed just like the Tigers jersey but in grey.

Funniest night ever.

Reply #464116 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Is it THAT Brett Rainbow or is it his son or something... He was playing 20 years ago

Reply #464121 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Rainbow was only 17-18 when he won the dunk comp in 93. 22 when he won it again in 97 so he's still in his 30's.

Not that I'm comparing Rainbow to the great Butch Hays, however Hays played until his 50th birthday!

Reply #464130 | Report this post

Mac  
Years ago

Brett is 38 however is in sensational shape as he is a fitness fanatic and will go along way to helping the Pakenham Association with their goals on and off the court.

Reply #464132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh god here we go again! Ryan Rogers for Prime Minister, I see it now, in his Pakenham gear kissing babies!

Reply #464134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Signed him as a moscot !

Reply #464138 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Should be good for the road trips

Reply #464150 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Keep bagging Pakenham cos it's funny, but he'll actually be good in Div 2. 38 Years old but still in top shape and can comfortably throw down a 360, it's only Div 2.

Reply #464151 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Have to laugh at people immediately playing the age card. He's the same age Abdul-Jabbar was when he was NBA Finals MVP in 1985. As with nat's qualifier, Rainbow isn't and never was an Abdul-Jabbar but if a 38 year old guy can carve up the best in the NBA, then I have no difficulty believing another 38 year old guy might be at least serviceable in the Big V!

Reply #464153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess you have to do what ever you can to try and save a season that was clearly done for the moment that Topp called it quits.

Reply #464170 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Here is an idea. Stop paying good money to people that will come and play half a season at your club then leave. Or are we expecting Rainbow to be the future of Pakenham and see him lead the way for the next 6-7 years?

It now means a decent young Pakenham player will miss out on an opportunity every week, given they are still in the top 4.

Don't know why they have run out and opened the cheque book after 1 loss.

Waste of money. Spend it on the VJBL program.

Reply #464173 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

It's funny that these people keep saying how much Pakenham pay there players. If that was the case don't you think they'd get an import like every other team in Div2. Perhaps they sign these players because in fact they don't have the funds. Just a thought, but don't let fact get in the way of a good bagging of another club. Only basketball people could be so stupid

Reply #464190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every other team??? Casey, Westernport and Oakleigh...Who else?

Reply #464202 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

There is the argument that for the price of 1 import you can get 2-3 decent aussies.Alot of the imports are not worth the money it costs to bring them out here.

Reply #464208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pakenham are probably spending about 30K on payments again and that is still cheaper than an import. Manny Hendrix is getting 3,200 a month for 6 months, 2 lots of airfares to the states, a car with fuel money, free accommodation and meal allowance. Easily adds up to more than what Pakenham would spend and that is only 1 player.

Reply #464213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pakenham are probably spending about 30K on payments again and that is still cheaper than an import. Manny Hendrix is getting 3,200 a month for 6 months, 2 lots of airfares to the states, a car with fuel money, free accommodation and meal allowance. Easily adds up to more than what Pakenham would spend and that is only 1 player.

Reply #464214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #464215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they are spending 30K and the product of that is what I saw yesterday they have rocks in their heads.

Have mates playing at the club that they just lost to and I know each and everyone of them pays no less then $500 to play.

You PAY people to play then they are not their because they wont to be.

Good luck to them but they are going to go knowhere spending 30k just to be competitive in DIV 2

Develop your younger guys and build something long term, your in the largest... if not close to in the state, their juniors should be booming.

Reply #464226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could you please tell me which players are getting paid?

Reply #464236 | Report this post

MM  
Years ago

I would love to hear who is getting paid! Strongly doubt it'll be many!

Reply #464255 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

$30,000 on their current list, surely you can't be serious in believing that. I can also confirm the players have to pay $500 to playoff they can't find as sponsor to cover that, last I heard they had zero paid players so don't think they'd be paying a 38 year old $30k to play SMH. This thread just gets funnier

Reply #464264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is Brett's tan looking?

Reply #464278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah cos Brett Rainbow is really going to pay $500 to drive from South Melbourne to Pakenham 3 times a week.

Topp received 10k last year he told me himself!

Reply #464299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FACT- Mildura Imports get $250.00 a week, are given a car and accomodation, they pay for fuel and anything else they want. Make the rest of their money buy umpiring games and doing individuals with local kids. Great players from big D1 college programs.

Reply #464320 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Thats interesting as the minimum is $500 a week.

Reply #464321 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Mildura's imports are on Sports Visa's and the FIBA minimum for that is $510 per week, plus car and accommodation. You may be confused if you heard a figure and divided it by 52 weeks, where as these guys are only here 5 months.

Reply #464325 | Report this post

Dale  
Years ago

Great. Brett can show them all how to dunk. Unfortunately we'll then have another group of players that think dunking makes a career. The term "All the gear but no idea" comes to mind. By the way, if Pakenham really are paying out $30K for their players, they are spending $35k too much.

Reply #464327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mildura have a very good set up with there imports because there is actually a 2 bedroom apartment at the stadium that not many people know about. This allows them to live for free and there cars are all screen printed with logo's so they have probably been donated by local sponsors. I'm not sure about this year but I know after talking to Calvin and Terrell they didn't make anything close to $510 a week.

Reply #464334 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If Topp got $10k last year as if he'd retire, why wouldn't you play on for some easy money. again more Chinese whispers or just blaten lies to make things sound interesting

Reply #464339 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If Topp got $10k last year as if he'd retire, why wouldn't you play on for some easy money. again more Chinese whispers or just blaten lies to make things sound interesting

Reply #464340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They must come out on a work visa to be only paid $250.00 a week

Reply #464341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No press release from Packy yet??? Is everything ok?

Reply #464356 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Such an infatuation with the Pakenham Warriors. Spending your days waiting for press releases??!

Reply #464414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what if rainbow does play he'll be useless. I mean rainbow was a terrible nbl player compared to the nbl league mvp who played a game for mildura in round 1 joe hurst and was very ordinary in that game.

Reply #464535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By the way what happened to all the other guys they signed in the off season. The team that has played so far are dud pakenham juniors. Where is that big chris jones that had a double page newspaper spread written on him.

Reply #464536 | Report this post

sharp shooter  
Years ago

The coach has absolutely no faith in the players that are there.

It's funny how he mocks and bags them behind their backs but when you see him with them feeds them a heap of BS and they believe it LMFAO!!!!!!

Reply #464598 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFIJtJ4UfgY

Reply #464619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

535, you do know that Joe Hurst is 50 right?

Reply #464673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You need to get your facts straight before you start making claims about what clubs are doing with their financials. I have no idea what Pakenham do or don't do but I do know that there is no import being paid at Casey. Pebole is on a tourist visa while he awaits the chance to go back to Europe. He has a job locally and a sponsor paid his fee that all players have to get from a sponsor in that program.

Reply #464828 | Report this post

Snowy  
Years ago

Okay, I have got the headline "No pot of gold at the end of this Rainbow"

Reply #464935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if Pebole is on a tourist Visa did he just rock up to training of the street?

I do believe they advertised it on the website sometime before he arrived that he was coming.

You can`t recruit players from overseas to play on a tourist visa, if you`re doing that they need to be on a Sports visa.

If someone has read the above they might want to investigate the fact that Casey are rorting the system.

Reply #464962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pebole is not on. Tourist visa. He is on a working holiday visa like a lot of other imports out here. It means they are allowed to work and play basketball

Reply #465101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^
Haha.
Nice recovery Casey.
Im sure no one noticed.

Reply #465205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casey Website had him advertised as coming to Australia to play for Casey. If this is the case he was clearly recruited which inturn means he must be on a sporting visa not a working holiday visa or any other type.

I like the recovery above but I think BA or BV might want to look into this one.

Had he already been in Austrlia and simply walked into your session then you would be clear.

I am sure that is the stance that Casey will take... However you may want to remove that original release from your website before taking that line.

Reply #465759 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

How did Rainbow go? Still no stats up.

Reply #465771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you might want to check your facts about how a working holiday visa works before you run to immigration or the police!! Haha

He can play basketball out here and be paid. I would bet atleast 40% of the imports are out here on a working holiday visa. It's only good for one year which is the only down side

Reply #465814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how did the cheque book go this year?

Who do they have in the first round of finals?

Are they still beating their chest down at Paky?

How long until we see another press release?

How many new signings will they have next year?

Reply #485051 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:27 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754