Isaac
Years ago

Kings retain Cody Ellis and Kevin White

The Sydney Kings have taken up the options on Cody Ellis and Kevin White, re-signing them for another season.

Ellis joined the Sydney Kings midway through this season, after completing his college studies at the University of St. Louis. Ellis played 16 games, averaging 5.1 points per game on 35% shooting from the field.

"It was my first experience in the NBL and it was awesome," said Ellis on his rookie season.

“We have a core group of guys who can do something special and I'm really excited about the future.”
Full story

Topic #34036 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kevin White - why?

Reply #464435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is White tight with the Hudsons? Might explain why he is at the Kings along with Seebohm another head scratcher.

Reply #464437 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I agree, why resign White give a kid a chance.

Reply #464441 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

What's more interesting is that the Kings are making roster moves without a head coach.. Which could be a bit of a turn off for some coaches as they're inheriting a roster, not creating one they believe they can win with.

Reply #464453 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

Agree there has to be a better option than white hes not gonna develop anymore and he doesn't really offer much

Reply #464454 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

How many coaches can you name who get to decide all 10 roster spots in their first season?

I imagine Kevin White is very valuable to team culture and highly respected for his workrate and defence. Teams need guys like this, especially when they don't take up much cap space.

Reply #464455 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Damn, I was hoping we'd get a chance to nick Ellis.

Reply #464457 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I guess they don't want to lose talent to opposition clubs while a replacement for Heal is being sought and they see a long term future with those players.

Reply #464459 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

Damn, I was hoping we'd get a chance to nick White.

Reply #464460 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Moving to retain Madgen and Garlepp even without a head coach I think was a solid move by the management and actually reinvigorated some faith in them that they're already thinking towards next season when some other teams have the "wait until the season is over" mentality...

Madgen can be a franchise player, improved under Heal and I think will only get better under a better coach, especially with his work ethic.

Garlepp is in contention for MIP and if he misses out to Nate, I think it will be very close... He works hard and does whatever it takes...

Two very good moves...

However, even though I think White is a solid backup player, there's no way that he's going anywhere and I think even if you've got the intention to sign him eventually, moving to re-sign him now is a bit reckless and jumping the gun... Hopefully the new coach comes on board and tells him to shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot at training every day to just get that automatic no-fear shot. He gets that in his arsenal and that will be valuable to the team...

Under a better coach and with a proper pre-season, I think Cody could have been in contention for ROTY. He's got a really nice outside shot (that still needs work, granted) and hustles hard under the basket for loose balls. I was under the impression that it was a two year deal anyways, so still ok with him sticking around...

I just hope the rumour of them offering Harvs a position is just that... Great guy off the court, but enough with the signings already, just get a damn coach!

Reply #464461 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Under a better coach and with a proper pre-season, I think Cody could have been in contention for ROTY. He's got a really nice outside shot (that still needs work, granted) and hustles hard under the basket for loose balls."

Reuban TeRangi>Cody Ellis in the ROTY race imo.

Reply #464463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfair call on Shannon Seebohm... I tip him to become one of Australias top coaches within the next 10years

Reply #464467 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Reuban TeRangi>Cody Ellis in the ROTY race imo.

At this point, sure, no argument... But wasn't TeRangi a DP before this season? He's got a lot more experience playing against men and had a lot more time to fit into his role on the team... I'm saying that Cody has just been plonked in and just told to go for it...

Reply #464470 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

garlepp had one season here and didn't trouble the scorers..not freindly to me..but the most improved player i ever seen

Reply #464474 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

No more signings Kings. Get your coach NOW.
Expected the Ellis one as he has a family support group in Sydney and that's a big plus when you have a young family.
As far as the Harvey signing, heard it could be a dual role involving fitness and conditioning.
Would be good to retain him for his leadership strengths with salary reduced and going to Madgen and Garlepp as you would expect.
Key positions will have plenty of tempting cash to wave around, surely. No Young or AJ.
Just get that coach before end of finals.

Reply #464475 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Ellis did play NCAA in a decent conference for a number of years compared to TeRangi's limited minutes as a DP for NZ.
TeRangi's main advantage over Ellis would be getting to train with grown men like Vukona every day and also playing NZNBL which can get a little rough so yeah fair call.

Reply #464476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seems like the Sydney Knicks currently have more of an nba type set up with a general manager or front office in charge on the personnel and the coach in charge of directing the team on the floor and in practice.

Not sure if any of the big name coaches mentioned for the Sydney Knicks job would be comfortable in this situation. It will be interesting to see who they get. The more signings of existing players made the more I'm thinking Cotter will be in the role next season.

Reply #464477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of talk in Sydney basketball circles that current assistant Damian Cotter will get the nod. That might be based on a Telegraph article but his pedigree is similar to Bevo's before he got his first NBL gig.

Reply #464478 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Bevo to Kings!

Reply #464481 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Kevin White must have some incriminating photos of the Kings Board.

How else is he getting a gig?

I would put Drew Williamson, Everard Bartlett, and almost Zac Delaney above White.

Reply #464529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would pick Daly who trialed last year at Sydney over White, unbelievable after his SEABL performance last year that he didn't get a gig and his tail end of previous season with Sixers started showing his NBL ability. If Young and Sanders comes back Madge at 3 Daly has the ability to assist, high IQ, quick around the court and able to tail hot opposition shooters and create own shot would be value for points and a stayer for a team that needs to build a core group. 3 point value added IMO. His brother NCAA and moved into teams highest assist in what should have been his red card year but got a gig as a starter pretty quickly in the Western Ath Conf quietly making his way. Shows this is a family with talent and should be explored. Come on Sydney, sort it out.....

Reply #464541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go after Corey Maynard out of Byrant

Reply #464544 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I would put Drew Williamson, Everard Bartlett, and almost Zac Delaney above White."

You should try watching the other end of the court every now and again!

Reply #464549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo will be the Kings next coach. Maynard from Bryant would be a good addition. Need size. Rotnei Clarke under contract with the Hawkes??

Reply #464571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why would u sign those 2 now?

they will still be available in august

Reply #464577 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I don't know why there's some much hate here to White, I think he's a solid number 8 or 9. I agree they signed him too early, but there's worse players in the league, some even named captain (Greer).

Reply #464584 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

People definitely need to keep in mind that Kevin isn't going to be a starter, any hate towards him is ridiculous from people who don't know what they're talking about, that's simple. My main point would be that you don't need to sign your 9-10th position players NOW... Unless there's ANY sort of benefit from picking up their option (points rating? Kev's won't go up, but smart to keep Ellis at the 3 rating if the points cap is still in place) then there is no need to sign him. I like that they're showing some loyalty to their local boy, but still, a bit premature...

As for all the Daly love, he trialled with the Kings and still couldn't get a gig. I admit he's shown some glimpses of talent, but choosing him over someone who can guard bigger players, a local player with the same level of talent, who has 4 years experience with the team pretty much, would be a fairly silly idea...

Reply #464605 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Yet Shaun Gleeson got a gig & look how well that worked out for him, even while he was the only point guard in the team.

Reply #464607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 years and White has worked out well then. Would not put weight on Heals selections and combos. I was looking at who may work well with Young if Sydney can bring him back and rotate with madge ..

Reply #464610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Unfair call on Shannon Seebohm... I tip him to become one of Australias top coaches within the next 10years"

Can you elabroate (genuinely interested for you to elabroate on your comment).

Thought he got hired through his previous connection with Heal at Dragons.

Reply #464646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

elaborate lol

Reply #464647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i agree to many people knocking Kevin white I will admit when he started at the Kings he was not up to it but now is solid off the bench player and he is tough and team player from basketball family. To many know it all's think everyone has to score 20 plus to be a player just shows your lack of knowledge.

Reply #464812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I used to hate on Kevin White, although it seems a little easy these days...

I sometimes wonder if being an 8th-10th man on an nbl roster would be a better lifestyle then being a 1-3 guy on a seabl team with a decent payroll and community support like Geelong, Bendigo, Hobart, etc.

Those guys would work their flexible jobs (sometimes found through the club) making more then an 8-10 nbl roster spot and develop their career while making an extra 10-20k on the side through hoops plus having their accomadation taken care of.

White lives in Sydney (expensive) so not sure if he lives with family members or there is a team house as he wouldn't be making enough to afford anything except a studio apartment, plus he would have to do all that community/coaching kids work that not everyone loves doing (I'd imagine some hate it).

So I guess you could hate on a guy such as White like I have in the past or admire his dedication to trying to be the best he can be even if that won't ever be an above average player in the nbl.

Reply #464835 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Looking at the 4 signings so far only Madgen looks a sure starter. The other 3 should come off bench imo, so for Sydney to have any hope next season they're going to need to go for top level guys such as Damo to be successful.

Reply #464846 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:55 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754