Anonymous
Years ago

BIG V Coaches Behaviour

THIS CROC OF SHIT LANDED IN MY INBOX OVERNIGHT. I THINK JULIE NEEDS TO THINK ABOUT HOW SHE AND HER GOONS (ALAN GARRAWAY IN PARTICULAR) ARE RUINING THE BIG V BRAND & GAME BY CHANGING THE WAY IT IS BEING OFFICIATED. IT WASNT BROKEN SO WHY FIX IT. JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF ADMINISTRATION NOT UNDERSTANDING THE GAME. ITS NOT ONLY COACHES WHO ARE DISGUSTED BY THE WAY THE GAME IS BEING REFFED BUT PLAYERS AND SPECTATORS. I DONT BLAME THE INDIVIDUAL REFS AT THE GAMES, THEY ARE FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS OF AN OUT OF TOUCH ADMINISTRATION.

AND WHY EMAIL IT? WHY NOT PUT IT UP ON THE WEBSITE FOR EVERYONE TO SEE TO PUT TWO AND TWO TOGETHER ABOUT HOW MUCH BACKLASH THE OFFICE IS RECEIVING? NOT THAT BULLSHIT COMMENT BY SEWELL IN BIG V TV ABOUT GETTING GOOD FEEDBACK FROM COACHES AND PLAYERS FROM THE FIRST 2 ROUNDS. NOT HAPPENING.

Good afternoon,

Could you please ensure all coaches and assistant coaches receive this email.

This week has been notable for the number of calls and emails we have received regarding inappropriate coaching behaviour, not only during the game but post game as well, when we should be enjoying each other's company at the after match function.

I have been a coach, from community to elite level and I understand the challenges associated with the role. I am pleased to say I have learnt some valuable lessons from my mistakes, including adapting my coaching to the way the game is officiated. What I discovered is there is no reason for behaving badly as a coach, it’s energy that could be better challenged into coaching the game.

I am very disappointed with where we are at this point of the season with managing the inappropriate sideline behaviour of some of our coaches. We can do better.

With 1,414 games being played this season and our profile being enhanced by Big V TV and Big V Live commentary, there is no hiding in Big V Basketball. When a game is decided at the buzzer, everyone sees and hears about it. When a player misses a free throw in a critical situation, everyone sees and hears about it. And when a coach spends too much time profanely berating the Referees instead of coaching his/her players, everyone sees and hears about it.

There have been too many examples of coaches behaving badly during the first couple of weeks of the season. Perhaps coaching behaviour should have been point of emphasis this season, requiring Referees to reel in the men and women on the sidelines. There were a number of people who noticed the inappropriate behaviour of coaches, enough to advise the Big V office. We contacted Alan Garraway, the Big V Referee Commissioner, he emphatically concurred - we have asked him to make appropriate coaching behaviour a priority with Referees across the league.

Referees are naturally reluctant to confront a coach with a technical foul, much less a second T that warrants an ejection. Even if a coach gets T’d up, that may not be much of a deterrent. In some cases, quite the contrary, in fact. It’s embarrassing for the game, but I am hoping it’s an aberration. It reflects badly on the coach, the team, the club and the league. It’s awfully early in the season for Referees and Coaches to be at each other’s throats.

I urge all coaches to take a moment to reflect on their behaviour and ask themselves, 'am I behaving in accordance with the coaches code of conduct,’ which is a requirement to coach Basketball in Victoria. As a coach, you must realise that what you teach may well be less important than what you demonstrate through your character and behaviour. The life time behaviour of your players may well depend on the example you set. Remember this when you assume the tremendous responsibility of being a coach.

Please coach responsibly and encourage your assistants to do the same, treat all members of the Basketball community with respect, they deserve it.

Topic #34048 | Report this topic

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

The message was for coaches & their assistants so why would you expect them to put it on their website. They are obviously concerned about the damage the behaviour of some coaches is doing to the league so it's not something they would want to publicise.

Reply #464723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Judging by the nature of language of your post you would be the exact type of person this email was directed at.

MAybe just move on out of the game and take up MMA or something.

Basketball doesn't need tools like you.

Reply #464727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a lot of expectation from this end when Alan Garaway is the head of the snake.

Reply #464728 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Its all in the delivery. Just a general reminder would of been appropriate as to the code of conduct. If the behavior is that bad, why havent coaches been cited and sent to the tribunal.Its all about communication and developing good relationships between refs and coaches.

Reply #464733 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Spot on Happy Days. A well-written reminder would have been more effective, with something more stern to any individuals who have been identified as crossing the line in the first couple of rounds.

I certainly haven't noticed anything over the top from coaches, and the reffing has probably been of a higher quality than the playing!

Reply #464734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While coaches and players were shown the new interoretations for the year ahead those on the sidelines have not been. the result of this is going to be even more outbursts from fans at the refs.

The refs are in a tough situation and after speaking to a lot of them at the BIG V tourney they hate the way they are going to have to call it as well.

The fact that a majority of the game is now spent with inbound plays and fouls shots is not a great product to watch.

I find it funny that the rules change in order to aid the offensive player and make games more high scoring.

Go back through the history of not only our league but pro leagues as well and the scoring is actually dropping not increasing.

What basic skill stes do offensive players need to have now? Be able to shoot foul shots.... because if they attack the basket they will get to the line.

Reply #464735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking of technical fouls...hshaha I think every one should be reviewed.. I think they should be recorded and a report be filed and then it can be rebutted or accepted by the coach. then after a certain number of techs received a review process for discipline should be considered.

The reason for this is it would have more accountability for refs and not just coaches. I have received techs that I deserve and then there were some that I got talking to my own player and for my body language... I think a coach has a right to know what he received the technical for.. the fact that refs can blow one and just walk away and not give an explanation is where I think the disconnect between the two sides lie. I honestly believe that just simple conversation between the two sides during the game would produce better results.. Maybe there needs to be an emphasis on better relationships with coaches during the game rather than calling a foul on a natural reaction to protect your gut with one hand or two when a player is barreling towards you. Use one or two hands its a foul use your body to absorb the contact its a block.. this is not net ball..basketball should be a minimal contact sport but not to this extreme..

Reply #464740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL and SEABL have a point of emphasis on player/coach to referee relations. Not sure why the Big V haven't followed suit?
I don't really see anything wrong with the email. You could walk into almost any Big V game any weekend and witness one or both the coaches over stepping the line. It's high time many of our coaches cleaned up their act and focused on their teams.
And before I get slammed, I'm a coach and I've been guilty of overstepping the line.

Reply #464741 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That letter seems very well written and reasonable to me. If OP is not making some sort of joke with their all-caps comment, I'd guess that they're part of the problem rather than the solution.

How about cooperating and keeping the private contact private for the good of the league?

Reply #464742 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I always felt a coach has a right to query the call but once the questions been answered its time to move on. What i never like is a ref ignoring the coach, thats poor communication unless there a serial winger. I also think its good for refs to talk to the coaches pre game and also at the after match function. Dont have to be best friends but at least it builds some rapport and respect.The other point is if you stuff up a call admit you were wrong to the coach as we are all human and make mistakes. Thats what Billy Mildenhall use to do.

Reply #464747 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I am with Issac. The original email seems responsible, and well written. Just the sort of thing you would want the CEO of the league to be doing.

Reply #464764 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Personally I'd describe it as long-winded and meandering! How many people would read it all? I don't see a need for something like that so early in the season.

More professional would have been a short message then dot points outlining what the specific steps the league will take in future rounds if similar behaviour continues.

Reply #464765 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Ok, so you don't like her style. Sure.

But early in the season is a good thing. Its written in a friendly, personable style trying to establish a relationship with the coaches based on her own experience. The next note can be much stronger. Thats ok.

Reply #464767 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

We, as spectators, coaches and officials all have varied passion for sport, no matter if it is basketball, football or anything we enjoy playing, watching or managing.

One of the big things basketball has over other sports is the proximity factor.

There are some sports with this, however if we take into account the distance a coach and his assistants are from officials on the field in our football codes for example, they are often too far away for officials to hear them, much less stop and speak to them.

Same goes for spectators, however we all know that things are heard and there are side line officials there to take control, calm people down and speak to coaches when they need to in most football codes.

In basketball it is all close quarters, in your face action and intensity happening at blinding speed almost within touching distance.

Virtually every word, every action or movement by a coach can be observed on a basketball court, as it is for the players and officials too.

Why is this relevant?

I believe in a sport like basketball it is the proximity factor that needs to be considered here.

Comments above are spot-on, we need communication and some common sense from all parties, but when it comes to talking to a coach on the side lines in basketball, we need to consider why, how and who can do this effectively.

If there are three officials refereeing the game and a further court supervisor role filled at the time, I consider this ample for at least one of them to speak with a coach and sort out their concerns, should this be done immediately and with respect there should be no issues of tech fouls or poor behaviour.

When we have a lack of officials to do this, it results in frustration build up, which results in tension and you guessed it, the tech may soon follow!

The email isn't that bad, the OP needs to take a step back and a deep breath, we all need to be more accomodating and show respect in such close quarters.

The idea of reporting every tech foul on a coach has merit, as long as it is reviewed and considered as a tool for improvement, this can be a positive initiative IMO...

Reply #464768 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

@ HO, that's right, I'm not saying the CEO shouldn't have sent something out - I think that's spot on early in the season especially with a change in reffing style - I just would have written it differently.

Reply #464773 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If there are three officials refereeing the game and a further court supervisor role filled at the time, I consider this ample for at least one of them to speak with a coach and sort out their concerns,
Every coach expects the right to query every call against them in real-time. I don't think it's particularly realistic.

And ramping up your bleating because you don't feel you're being paid appropriate attention just seems to work against everything. If you want accurate calls, surely you distract refs less?

Reply #464776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OP, you are a fool and central to the problem and probably a perfect example of the tools that need to give the game away and go support soccer.

There is NO EXCUSE for poor behavior, if you can't control your emotions go get medical help. Carrying on after the game towards officials is disgusting, show some sportsmanship and leave it on the court.

ALL Victorian officials (SEABL, BigV, VJBL) have been instructed to call the game tighter this year, 2 hands on is a foul, everyone was sent the video explaining it, if you haven't seen it go to the VBRA website, its there, Bill Mildenhall is the host.

Reply #464780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you're talking to the Ref during play you're distracting them from doing their job. If you want to debate a call you need to change your approach, if you ask a polite question at the appropriate moment you need to accept the reply and move on.

The refs are not there to debate and justify everything they do as some coaches seem to think.

As far as spectators go some of the feral rubbish you hear at venues beggars belief, if this is how you want the kids to see you and as an example of behavior an sportsmanship the sport is in trouble.

Reply #464791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Overall the directions for the season will focus on the following 7 basic areas;

• 1. Protecting the Ball Carrier
• 2. Protecting the Shooter
• 3. Charge / Block
• 4. Off Ball Contact / Screening
• 5. Unsportsmanlike Fouls
• 6. Travels
• 7. Player / Coach Behaviour

The above paste is directly from that document, for those who don't wish to read it all, these are the points of emphasis for 2014 by the VBRA.

I for one am happy with them, however the document discusses two hands on a ball carrier as a fowl. This is of course correct, and then it goes into how a shooter must be protected also, this too is correct.

Unfortunately what I see very often is the situation where a player in the key is manhandled, pushed and shoved, sometimes out of the way by the defence and not protected at all, just because they are a post player.?

So, while the emphasis on all of these is a good thing, some consistency by officials wouldn't go astray either!

Reply #464794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#464794 You are spot on. I too agree with all that has been highlighted.

The inconsistency comes through inexperience and not being strong enough to make the tough calls and keep calling them.

If teams don't adjust to how the game is being called they foul players out.

Smart coaches make their players adjust quickly.

Smart coaches did their home work on the new directives in the preseason and drilled their teams accordingly.

Dumb coaches ignore the information they got and just argue.

The new directives place more pressure on the officials to be vigilant. Easier for the better more experienced ones but id suggest those officials who don't like the new directives are probably the lazy ones who hate making tough calls....

Reply #464798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, why is two hands on a post player not called as a foul then?

Reply #464800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So, why is two hands on a post player not called as a foul then?"

Really? could you possibly make a more broad inaccurate generalization?

Reply #464814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Generally speaking then, why is two hands on a post player allowed when two hands on a guard is not?

Reply #464829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Generally speaking then, why is two hands on a post player allowed when two hands on a guard is not?"

Still extremely vague, firstly does the post player have the ball????? If they do i see these fouls called all the time, you're allowed a un-extended armbar, nothing more.

Reply #464832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Generally, this is what I see, the post player doesn't have the ball and is grabbed around the waist, pushed out of position by a defender using two hands on their hips and bumped or blocked when they cut into the key to make position.

Then when they actually grab the ball, it is a free for all with the seconary or third defenders coming in to slap at anything they can, without fear of a foul call, as a travel on the poor old big with the ball is more likely to ba called (or 3 seconds in the key).

See it all the time.

Reply #464844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Full Points of emphasis here: http://www.vbra.basketball.net.au/uploads/media/Points_of_Emphasis_Document.pdf

All seems resonable to me. By the way OP please note that this is an instruction to all refs at all BV sanctioned competitions. That is it applies to Juniors as well as Seniors, and even down to domestic. If you are unhappy with that, maybe you too will end up explaining your attitude at a tribunal.

Reply #464881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Generally" is still a very loose broad term.

When you have 2 players jostling for the same piece of court you will have a bit of bump and push, this is where "advantage/disadvantage" comes into play, the offense often creates as much contact as the defense who is entitled to hold or maintain their position if they established it first.

This is a completely different scenario to the post player receiving the ball, "back to basket", from that point onwards he becomes the "ball handler" (see directives), 2 hands on is a foul regardless of the playing position, an armbar is allowed to hold position but it cannot be extended outside the cylinder of the defensive players space.

The ONLY Vic administered league that has 3 officials is SEABL Men, the rest have 2. When you have the extra official you have a far better chance and ability to watch and manage off ball contact.

The other point id make is a very large percentage of player/coach/spectator angst comes from simply NOT KNOWING THE RULES, or thinking the rule is different to how its being applied..

Maybe more education is needed at the player/coach/spectator level.....

Reply #464949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^anon, agree it is good to educate everybody, also agree that two officials can't see everything going on, but it is very easy to see a defenders arm wrapped around the waist of another player isn't it?

One of the two officials should focus on the point of attack inside the key while the other tries to follow the ball around the perimeter.

Advantage/disadvantage is very subjective. With ball in hand you get all the protection you want under these rulings, but in the key with ball in hand the consistency of the points of emphasis appears lost at times.

No one complains when the defender uses his arm bar but why allow the defender to grab his opponent and pull them out of the way when they are posting up and have a good seal?

These are the actions I see quite often, that frustrate and ruin the game for those who want to play to the rules.

Reply #464951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, I'm not sure what level you're watching but at SEABL (and NBL) level we see this managed pretty well, i don't see the things you're describing often at all, yes they do happen but no where near to the level you're suggesting..

Grabbing the singlet is an automatic USF, but the Ref needs to be able to see it first to call it, in a flurry of play its hard for them to see everything.

The referee's have areas of responsibility, they cannot look all over the court, nor are they allowed to make calls in each others area unless its a clanger. Players and Coaches need to learn which official is responsible for their areas too, again 3 officials can see far more than 2.

Reply #464952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VJBL VC U/16 and 18's mostly

Reply #464955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok, while this is no excuse for failing to make obvious calls, which is what i think you're suggesting, the one thing VC coaches need to accept is they wont get SEABL/NBL/State Champ level officials on junior games, juniors make more mistakes and are less skilled than SEABL/SC level players, and so too are the officials at that level. We all need to accept this and work with it.

Yes the rules are rules but as you go down the levels so do you too with the officials.

Reply #464956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let me add.. I see Junior VC and SEABL every weekend, if they called VC as tightly and as cleanly as they call SEABL most VC teams would end games with only 3 or 4 players left, i agree more seems to be let go at VC level, but this is primarily a function of a few things.

From my experience with watching VC is it's far more scrappy and at times difficult to officiate than higher senior standards and the kids are VERY hands on and lazy with defense. This has to come back to associations and DOC's to clean up their programs to make better defenders and also do a far better job of informing everyone within the club of the VBRA directives.

Reply #464959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^anon, agree it has become very scrappy ove the past few years in particular.

Some blame may lay with the coaching in the way players have been adapting to what has been very loose officiating over this time too?

My observations are that coaches want their players to score and play defense without fouling too often, but they do adjust and have had to lately as some tightening of the rules is happening.

Players and coaches have been adjusting to the officiating for years. So, that scrappy and lazy perception, while it does exist now, agreed. It may also be contributed to the previously lax and possibly lazy officiating which the points of emphasis are trying to remedy?

Not umpire bashing here just making a point. I like to see the rules enforced and if players are fouled out of games they will learn from it or go and play footy where some belong.

Reply #464960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, and the problem is multi faceted.
I see so many coaches who clearly don't understand the rules, are in denial of the new directives or their clubs simply didn't pass on the information.

They look stoned faced when told "tell your players to get their hands off the ball handler, its a foul"...

Why would you react to that instruction? its a fundamental rule of the game, always has been but as you've said in past seasons its been let go too far and rightly or wrongly coaches have become accepting of bad practices from their players.

I also agree there has in the past been too many junior officials who simply are not prepared or are too lazy to call games correctly or tightly, but part of that is the way players, coaches and spectators carry on.

Nobody likes being yelled at or abused, its human nature to shy away from attracting unwanted attention even if its your job.

We as coaches (and spectators) need to take a more proactive stance to ensure we set a behavioral example first and foremost and give these refs the breathing space and work place environment to start to get it right.

At Snr level there is a massive problem with Referee retention, there are less and less officials prepared to ref now than 2 years ago.

We all need to address the issues that are causing the exodus from this part of the game because it IS a major problem.

Reply #464961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Referee retention is something that needs to be addressed. What is it that makes it attractive to be a referee? If we want to keep them, we need to look at the cause and not the symptoms perhaps?

Are they supported sufficiently by court supervisors?
Are they trained to deal with people as well as knowing the rules?
Are they paid well enough?
Why do they want to officiate, what attracts them?
How do Associations plan to keep them, do we know their incentive to stay on?
Has there been a review of why they leave to determine the cause?

This is also multi faceted and complex, but needed.

I see one problem being the us versus them syndrome. Officials in the BigV can get coaches to behave better if they work with them and not against them. Yes, tech the prick, but at least give the coach an opportunity to prove he is a prick first, don't just ignore the coach. Try to work with the coach as part of the team first, he/she will soon be revealed for what they are but don't label the coach at first glance, see how this goes and communicate.

Reply #464966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ yep completely agree.

There is a working group at BV and BA urgently looking at the retention issue i believe, everyone is aware of it.

Part of the problem is behavioral issues which id suggest is a driver for the letter that went out to BigV clubs. The irony in this thread is the OP response is categorical proof that the problem actually does exist.

The problem seems more prolific in the lower divs.

Equally there is some culpability at management level for the way politics has impacted favoritism and advancement.

There has been alleged issues of Nepotism, Discrimination and bias unfortunately.

It crates a lot of dismay and resentment within the ranks.

Reply #464969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think there is much support in this thread for the OP's attitude, to be honest. He would not be the norm out there among coaches, more the exception.

Reply #464970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

QUOTE: "I see one problem being the us versus them syndrome. Officials in the BigV can get coaches to behave better if they work with them and not against them. Yes, tech the prick, but at least give the coach an opportunity to prove he is a prick first, don't just ignore the coach. Try to work with the coach as part of the team first, he/she will soon be revealed for what they are but don't label the coach at first glance, see how this goes and communicate."

While in theory this is good in practice its extremely difficult to give more than a few quick words to a coach and there really should be any debate, its simply ask a question, get the response and move on.

The main aim is to keep the game flowing, long breaks to address or at worst debate concerns kills momentum and looks bad.

I agree, there should be some acknowledgement that a coach has a question, i also agree ignoring genuine polite requests is arrogant and inflames situations, but a coach making a statement "that's a foul" really doesn't warrant any response from a Ref.

Maybe some coaches need to get smarter about how they address officials: don't yell, don't make open statements, ask reasonable questions when there's a dead ball or and official is in front of you.

Learn how to rapport with them. Equally if a coach asks a question which you can't answer at the moment, give them a thumbs up, and go talk to them quickly at the next reasonable opportunity.

Work together!!!

Reply #464976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Build a relationship with the Refs and you will be fine. Most Refs can understand the emotion that goes on in a game from players and coaches. The ones that are a 100% closed book I am sure will be culled by ther evalators.

Try talking with them prior to the match about current issues and the new rule implementation. If they can see your asking a question rather then directly having a go at what they are doing it will go a long way to building a better relationship between both parties.

Just like coaches/players bitch and moan about particualr players, refs or other coaches so to will the refs it is human nature.

If you are the coach or player that is always having a whinge then you`re going to get a bname for yourself amoungst the refs.

Reply #464980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saw this the other day, went something like this:

Experienced well respected coach spent time well before the game discussing new directives with officials, pleasant productive dialogue, other coach was an inexperienced one, doesn't like refs, wont talk to them.

Refs go introduce themselves at 5 min mark, new coach is asked if he understood the new directives, brushed them off with a yeah.. end of discussion.

Game starts, its a mug fest, hands fouls called everywhere, new coach is bitching and moaning, experienced coach tells his guys to quickly adjust.

Game goes on, 1 team adjusts, the other doesn't, foul count blows out, 2 techs given, game over at the free throw line.

New coach berates refs after game... LOL.

Reply #464982 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Did the Big V refs run a seminar with the coachs prior to the season to spell out the changes to be way the game was going to be officiated?

Reply #464984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The lat 2 seminars i went to were a shamozzle, it turned into an abusive slanging match with many coaches simply not understanding the purpose of it so Garraway said he'd never do it again.

Reply #464986 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Every time a coach at Big V or above level is given a tech foul there should be an open and honest discussion between the coach, a representative from the coach's Association and someone from the VBRA to explore what happened and how they can move forward so repeat behaviour is culled.

I would also like to see the official attend, but it may not work out to be possible logistically speaking.

To learn from our mistakes can prevent insanity...

Could even be considered at lower levels to be frank!

Reply #464989 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Just watched Billy on the Big V website. Always speaks very well and gets his message across.

Reply #464990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be honest if you watch the video and read the directives you should have all the info you need. If you need further clarification contact Billy or maybe you're over your head being a coach.

Reply #464996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn9LEWd9jBg&feature=youtu.be

Reply #465003 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Dear CEO of BIG V:

I was most concerned to receive your email re Coaching/Player behaviour. Not because of what you have said - but more from the point of referees not being SKILLED enough to interpret your message.

My concerns relate to a number of years of the direction referees are getting. My fear is your email will unleashed the beast - and we will see referees (some not all) now acting in such arrogant manners that coaches/players will struggle to keep their emotions in check.

The current coaching director for referees is an experienced man who had a history having no patience when dealing with players/coaches. T em up to shut them em up was his style. Unfortunately as the game has evolved over the years his message has not changed and still filters through to young referees who use this method far to much and not always appropriate to situations.

I can tell you the majority of coaches in Big V are privately pissed off with your message. Few will express this to you because of fear of repercussions from refs during games.

It may be true that some coaches/players are behaving poorly - but it this because of the attitude of these people or are there other circumstances that should be looked in to? I would respectfully suggest you may have overlooked the cause/effect of the issues.

Basketball is an emotional game - as is most games. You see coaches in AFL, Soccer, Rugby, etc. able to express a level of emotion during a game. But not basketball - are players/coaches in our game different?

What is happening now is a coach is told he cannot put his hands in the air and show any sign of emotion at calls that he feels a referee may have missed.

Tonight I attended the YL1 Mens game Blackburn vs Sunbury to scout both teams as my team plays them in the coming weeks.

The Blackburn coach whom I have coached against in one form or another over many years was ejected with 2 mins to go in the first quarter. This man has coached at senior levels and is well respected in the game. The way he was treated tonight was a disgrace.

The coach got his first T when one of his players drove to the basket and appeared to be fouled. The coach lifted his hands in the air - no audible comments were made (I was behind his bench). The referee gave him his first T - much to the amusement of the crowd watching.

The coach asked for an explanation from the referee who appeared to tell him to sit down. The coach called a timeout seeking an explanation from the refs. From my seat the ref concerned was billigerent, rude and disrespectful to the coach.

I commend the coach on keeping his cool during this exchange.

Any way the game went on with no one really sure what caused the first T.

The game proceeded without issue for the next 5 or so minutes. The refs were making calls which puzzled the crowd, but didn't favour one side over another.

Hand checking fouls were being tightly called a per the P of E guidelines.

Shortly before 1/4 time, Blackburn were in possession of the ball driving to the basket. The blackburn player was clearly fouled with a two handed hand check - no call was made - turnover to Sunbury.

The Blackburn coach merely stood there, looked at the ref (who just happened to be the same ref involved in the first T) and enquired in a non verbal and quite respectful manner about the hand check foul. By this I mean he motioned with two hands for hand check which I interpreted as being "hey ref did you see that?"

Well to the amusement of the crowd, the Blackburn coach received a second T and was asked to leave the game.

Now before all the critics get after me - I ask you to consider the points I wish to make.

1. there is no way the coach deserved one tech let alone two (I watched the Div 1 game until 1/4 time that followed and both coaches were able to express/demonstrate far more emotion than the Blackburn YL mens coached displayed).

2. The CEO email puts all the accountability of coach/player behaviour. What accountability does the referee carrying for their behaviour?

3. Are the new and up and coming referees getting the right guidance and coaching - is the refs coaching director spending enough time developing refs or is it a case of T em up to shut em up?

4. Sport is an emotional game - you cannot expect players, coaches, referees not to be affected by the ebs and flows of the game. The best refs have a knack of knowing how to take the emotion out of a situation by talking and listening to coaches/ players. Todays young refs threaten, ignore, and invite conflict - the T is their first option.

5. How much training do refs get in managing conflict issues - this is a skill that is sadly lacking with refs these days (and perhaps explains why some coaches/players behave poorly).

6. What accountability do refs carrying? Players/coaches are clearly accountable for their behaviour/performance - whereas some refs hand out T's without a care in the world. Previous post suggest Refs should be answerable for any T they hand out - GOOD CALL - you may find some of the cowboys may think twice if they have to explain/ justify their behaviour.

My reasons for this post are clearly because I am a coach who is very unhappy with the direction the young refs are getting these days. If I was to bitch about how I have been treated people would yell SOUR GRAPES. But to witness what happened to the Blackburn coach tonight was enough to prompt me to put this post up.

To the BIG V CEO - your intentions are admirable but your message is misguided. If you really want to impress your customers ie. THE COLLECTIVE BIG V clubs then don't pencil defensive emails about observations which have been around for years.

Heres MY TIP - sit down with all parties concerned and hear the feedback from everyone, not just the refs. The game is sacrosanct - nobody is bigger than the game. Players, coaches and officials should be able to work in harmony - clearly the path being followed at the moment is flawed.

TIME TO GET SERIOUS - THE GAME IS THE LOSER FOR POOR MANAGEMENT AT ALL LEVELS.

Reply #465338 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Just read a classic release from a Big V coach after a loss."we dont want to play our best basketball too early in the season".

Reply #465554 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Really Happy Days? Is that the exact quote? From which Coach?

Reply #465601 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

yes i did paraphrase but here it is: Not a great day for the ***** but plenty of improvement to be had. No point playing at your best this early in the season.
Classic!!!

Reply #465607 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Oh ok, i thought i read something *similar*.

Reply #465616 | Report this post

Dale  
Years ago

As I have suggested before, the league isn't good enough to require refereeing. Time to call your own fouls and save on costs. When teams like McKinnon and Whittlesea are in Championship, the league must be shit.

Reply #465730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great contribution Dale.

Reply #465766 | Report this post

jetset  
Years ago

I suggest discussion on Trialing referee crews by Division. Have them allocated together and know they will stay together for 1/2 a season for example. Allow the ref crews to scout their games, understand their teams and let them develop consistency as a CREW to the level they officiate. It's not a new idea, its the backbone of the best referee standards across US/Euro.

Reply #465791 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

How do you honestly expect to have quality referees when the league is expanded every season and the number of referees drops every season.

And then there is the issue that the quality referees are overworked therefore not refereeing at the top of their game.

I heard on the grape vine that Round 1 started with 16 if not more referees doubling up for the saturday night. Thats without SEABL started.

Do you honestly blame referees for not wanting to take the poor behaviour of coaches when they are doing 40-50 games a season on top of the other leagues they may be a part of.

Reply #465894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #465338 - Absolutely on the money!! Sensational post by a basketball person with some common sense.
The solution, as always, is communication. Communication between the coaches, players and referees.
With the current obvious instruction to avoid any communication with coaches and players, it is only a matter of time before many players find playing basketball just too frustrating.
I agree with the post that it is time to get serious. People in the refereeing circles need to start communicating, not giving ultimatums.

Reply #465919 | Report this post

Big V Coach.  
Years ago

@Anon 465338 and Anonymous 465919 - at last I'm reading posts that have genuine feelings and understanding of what is going on in the Big V.

Communication, relationship building and training in managing relationships/conflict.

Referees are the problem - the system is not doing enough to support them in their development. Coaches/Players don't want conflict - they want to be heard and respected - not given ultimatums or condescending remarks that only inflame things.

Yes I am also concerned about players and coaches leaving the game because they are disrespected.

My bigger concern is having a player or coach reported after reacting to being baited by arrogant immature smart alec answers from young inexperienced refs.

I totally agree the BIG V CEO has made an error in sending out her email. What did a previous say - CAUSE and EFFECT?

Reply #466013 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Its a good point, the league is expanding but are the referees able to handle that expansion and maintain the quality.

Reply #466016 | Report this post

Dale  
Years ago

Thanks Anon...another nameless tool

Reply #466018 | Report this post

Big V Coach.  
Years ago

Dale - what is your point?

Reply #466022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big V is for the players not the spectator... These new points of emphasis in the ref bosses own words was for cosmetic reasons. More fun to watch better for tv...I don't like the way this new brand of basketball looks.. 60 free throws a game is not pleasing to the eye... this is a players league not the nbl let's remember that and let the players play.I don't remember any such changes to points of emphasis causing this much uproar. Let's see how TV worthy bigv becomes when everyone just decides to play zone for 40 minutes to avoid foul trouble. And because basically any contact between two player is a foul. This is not netball..basketball is a contact sport. Players will instinctively exstend hands to obsorb contact from another player. It's a natural defense mechanism in where there is no intent on controlling the offensive player. If it wasn't broke why fix it. Basketball is just now starting to get back to prominence in OZ.. don't waste a great opportunity by continuing to structure the game for TV ratings. I personally like watching good defense not two team giving up lay ups because everything they''ve been taught to do defensively now leads to fouls. How about we protect the defender also and not let the offensive player initiate any contact. And let's see what the game looks like then. Actually I watched that on 10 I think it's called ANZ

Reply #466038 | Report this post

Big V Coach.  
Years ago

How about we teach the refs to ref. And not let emotions control their calls - poor direction I say.

Are you listening CEO BIG V????????????????

Reply #466052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The BigV Ceo has no control over how the officials call the game. The Ref's are controlled by the VBRA, who also look after the VJBL and SEABL.

If they're calling 60 fouls per game it means people aren't adjusting to the calling of the game, you could argue about the intelligence of people continuing to do the same things and complaining about the outcome.

The lower Div's of Big V have always been a more hostile environment as you climb down the tree...

The league is expanding at a rate that cant be serviced adequately in numbers by the VBRA, which is also seeing a decline in available resource.

The bottom line is without more money to improve training and make the job more appealing the problem will get worse not better, ranting with online petitions and calling for blood will make the problem worse not better.

Reply #466081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adjusting to the game would be playing matador defense..

Reply #466154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The new way it is being called is frustrating...however its the same for everyone so we have to adjust.

My main frustrsation is spending much of the pre-season drilling players on full court aggressive defense only to find out 14 days prior to round one that things were going to be different.

It is what it is though.

Could possibly be a good idea to make it more public knowledge as the abuse the officials are getting now has increased 10 fold. Largely in part to spectators complaining about what in their eyes should be non-calls when comparing to what they watched last season.

Refs are just doing there jobs I think they have bee put in a crapy situation, I know of a few who wwere dropped due to not calkling the game tight enough. Many of them don`t like the new rules themselves.

Zone defense is going to come into play in more instances going forward.

Reply #466157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #466157

Correct.

This is the single Biggest issue out of all of this, the complete break down of communication with the Teams and clubs about the changes.

Teams should have been notified in Jan before pre season started to give them time to drill correctly.

14 days before season start is simply too late.

This is the major failing here, not the change in application of the rules.

Reply #466163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big V teams are not stand alone entities, they are governed by their Associations, so the communication breakdown may not be the fault of the VBRA or the Big V, as they would have advised the Associations long ago.

It is the responsibility of the coordinators within each Association to make sure they pass on current information, I would think!

Teams and coaches would have been informed, it is folley to suggest this has been kept a secret, surely not?

Reply #466165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was not kept a secret but I can assure you it was only made public the week before the preseason tourney, making that 14 days prior to round 1.

Reply #466198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know of at least 1 BigV club who found out by pure accident due to a coach talking to a junior panel official in late feb.

Alarm bells rang and they made enquirers themselves and found out that in fact yes the new directives did exist but they were completely in the dark about them both at BigV and VJBL level.

Reply #466216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting, so can someone from the VBRA please confirm the date and format with which all Victorian Basketball Associations were advised of the points of emphasis for 2014, please?

Reply #466223 | Report this post

Big V Coach  
Years ago

Let's be clear here. There is nothing wrong with how the game is being called. Both teams must adapt.
The problem is the poor communication skills of refs. They come across as rude, arrogant and condensing.
If a coach reacts he is T'd.
Develop refs in how to manage conflict - and watch the relationship between all parties improve.

Reply #466225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big V Coach, there are 2 clearly different positions coming out in here:

1) one group claiming rude arrogant refs.

2) the others claiming the rules are too strict now.

Id suggest the new directives have caused the interaction issues you're claiming.

The Ref's have been instructed (amongst other things) to clamp down on bad behavior, this is magnified by coaches being up in arms about the tighter calling of the game, they go hand in hand.

Reply #466226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Referee's from Big V, SEABL and VJBL were all informed of the new directives via email on 29th of January 2014.

Reply #466228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Anon, thanks for the information, do we presume that their respective Associations were also informed?

I think I can recall our team getting told about something during grading phase, but it was not a big agenda item in the scheme of things.

Reply #466231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These fouls are clearly rule changes NOT points of emphasis.. In college basketball the coaches were the ones who signed off on it after being communicated with..and during the off season refs were brought in to help players and coaches adjust to the new rules... they didn't say here it is deal with it. who asked for these new interpretations anyway. I don't remember a survey or anyone crying about excessive hand checking. Maybe holding and fouls away from the ball was an issue. I can even agree with the two hands on that's an easy one to fix. But getting called for a fist and forearm just gives the offensive player too much of an advantage as they can use it to protect and manipulate the defender. To eliminate any on ball contact offense must be addressed also. Its not only going to take a long time but it may not serve the purpose it intended.. scores will be higher but only because of free throws.. may the best zone win.

Reply #466235 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Hand-checking is defined as illegal contact by a defensive player which impedes the forward and/or lateral movement of the offensive player. Hand-checking should be dealt with early in the game, with particular attention being paid during perimeter play and drives to the basket. Hand-checking is NOT allowed on the ball handler. Some officials have the misconception that "I'll call it if it impedes the ball handler". That is not the direction officials are being encouraged to follow. ONE warning is given to the player and if there is another infraction, then the foul should be called. The following are hand-checking guidelines for all officials.

It is a foul if:

A defender leaves his hand on an opponent;
A defender continually places hand(s) on an opponent;
A defender places two hands on an opponent;
A defender continually jabs an opponent;
An illegal arm bar is used by the defender.

Incidental contact with the hand(s) that does not impede the progress of an opponent is NOT illegal. The defensive player's action of feeling for a screen that may be set to the side or to the rear is NOT illegal.

If an offensive player slaps at the defensive player's hand or arm which is on his person, this should be an indicator to the official that such contact is impeding his/her progress. Preventative officiating can avoid fouls on both defensive and offensive players.

A stern vocal warning to defensive players early in the game will allow players to adjust to the desired level and type of contact allowed. This warning CANNOT continue throughout the entire game. All officials should be made aware that the warning has been given so that two or three separate warnings are avoided.

Reply #466236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We now need to ask when each of those 3 leagues were informed of the new directives and when those Leagues informed their respective member associations.

Then we need to look at how long each of those clubs took to inform their coaches and teams.

It would appear in the case of BigV that there was up to a month time lapse between the directives being made public to the officials and Clubs being informed of them.

If this is the case it's completely unacceptable and goes a long way to explain why people are so uninformed and ill prepared and probably why there is so much (unnecessary) conflict.

Caught in the middle of all of this are the poor Ref's who have been placed in a very unfortunate position i believe.

Reply #466237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#466235 The new directives ARE NOT rule changes at all, they are simply bringing calling of the game back in line with the actual definition of the rules because they have slipped over the past few seasons.

You have NEVER been allowed to place 2 hands on the ball handler ever nor steer or impede them physically unless you've established correct legal defensive position FIRST.

Reply #466239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kevin Bartlett has taken over the management of the Big V referee's by the sounds of it.

Reply #466245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ April 1st joke??

Reply #466248 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:38 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754