Isaac
Years ago

Ervin-Goulding incident

Only that one angle in real-time has been shown but it looked like a barely provoked knee to the leg or groin by Ervin to me.

Topic #34074 | Report this topic

bg04  
Years ago

Unfortunately the more I watch it the worse it looks. Could be a series changer.

Reply #465477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tribunal is being help right now! I believe he will be suspended

Reply #465478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Sixers fans you are dreaming.

From that one angle how can you say it didn't look like anything?

Goulding's reaction was not delayed, seems consistent to being struck in the nether regions.

Hopefully we get to see some other camera angles if any.

Reply #465480 | Report this post

Joe the cameraman  
Years ago

Flopper!

Reply #465487 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Whether Ervin was provoked or not it was stupid on his part.

Reply #465496 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

I'm glad someone did it.

Reply #465498 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

Ervin just needs to use the Ennis defence of I was trying to knee someone else

Reply #465499 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Pretty silly by Ervin. Deserves to miss the next game as you need to rub that sort off stuff out. Hopefully we can win without him

Reply #465500 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why? Is Goulding that objectionable? Doesn't sulk much, works hard to escape his man, entertains the league. Would be loads of players I find more annoying.

Reply #465501 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

Yes Murray, it's all Perth's fault. Hope you can get a couple of people along to game 3

Reply #465502 | Report this post

nailna3  
Years ago

guess we will see if the nbl has balls or doesn't. if its ennis; lets part the sea and make sure he is looked after. if its anyone else, lets make it hard.

Reply #465503 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Haha it's funny watching fans of playoff teams get real on edge...my team didn't make it and I'm perfectly content right now.

Reply #465504 | Report this post

bg04  
Years ago

Content with not making the playoffs? That's a bit sad.

Reply #465507 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

WTF how did I say it's Perths fault

Perth fans trying to make something that has nothing to do with them about Perth

Idiotic

Reply #465508 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Youtube footage anyone?

Reply #465509 | Report this post

Em  
Years ago

Isaac - I think it is tall poppy syndrome
Can't believe people used to say they hated Gaze - you could call his defence rubbish but otherwise as a person & basketballer - how could you not like/respect/admire him?
Go Goulding - superstar !! Poor loser Gary Ervin - hell of a player but that was poor form - rub him out

Reply #465510 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

" I'm glad someone did it"
Classy comment NOT.
Ervin has let his team down

Reply #465511 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

Sorry Murray, I thought you were the one that brought Ennis into it...by the way, when was Ennis ever accused of kneeing anyone?

Reply #465512 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Or when did Ennis say that he was trying to his someone else?

Reply #465514 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

*hit

Reply #465516 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

bg, I've accepted it, but life goes on. Is three weeks not enough time to get over your team not making playoffs?

Reply #465518 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

There's a difference between that and being content with not making playoffs.

Reply #465519 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

Children do some research into how Ennis' punch charge got thrown out

Reply #465520 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Haha dance, puppets...dance!

Reply #465521 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Murray, why don't you elaborate? He was charged with attempted striking. Who he did or didn't attempt to strike is irrelevant.

Statsheet, you've just admitted to being a troll. Well done.

Reply #465523 | Report this post

James C  
Years ago

Goulding did fall like a sack of potatos mayble overselling it. Wasn't really a quick hard knee but Ervin probably should get a game for that but considering everyone has gotten off lightly this year... a suspended 1 game suspension? Sixers did play well when Ervin was out with injury so its not the end of the world.
Game 3 will be huge.... hopefully people come support the team.

Reply #465527 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Situation, the difference between me and a troll is that I'm not inciting any of this back and forth. Get a clue, big fella.

Goulding always falls and flails like an idiot, but there was enough malice from Ervin to be punished.

Anyone got any precedent for knees to the groin?

Reply #465529 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Nope, you're just jumping in to stir the pot. That's cool, you're not very good at it, just don't complain when you perceive others are doing it to you.

Reply #465530 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Gary could have at least bought him some flowers...... a gentleman never goes directly to second base........

Reply #465532 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The onus is on you to not take that personally, because it was simply a general comment.

You're jumping at the chance for an argument yet again...must be that playoff edginess kicking in.

Reply #465533 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Hahaha good call, Podge. I really do think Gary is in trouble though :(

Reply #465534 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Gary Ervin won't be in Adelaide next year

Reply #465535 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ervin indicated to the ref very animatedly that he was reacting to something Goulding had done (on a previous play?) but while that might give backstory, it's no excuse. Gibson's unsportsmanlike on Wortho was a better example in the previous game of a hard hit unlikely to get a suspension.

I can see Ervin getting a one game suspension. At least Adelaide have decent coverage in their guard ranks. Would be less keen to lose either of Gibbo or DJ.

Reply #465539 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Anyone got any footage

Reply #465540 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

his a dog!!! and keeps barking!!! Go the tigers and every one blamed ennis? Ervin is a bitch

Reply #465542 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Isaac, why would he get a game, I have seen punches and fights over the last two years without a single suspension? Why would the nbl start now, pathetic if they do.

Reply #465546 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

As much as it doesn't surprise me if goulding did provoke something.. it doesn't take much contact in that region for a man to go down. So to say goulding was flopping is ridiculous.
The NBL have no balls excuse the pun so i dont expect any suspensions especially for a semi final game

Reply #465549 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

If it was on any other player I would say Ervin is out for a game at least but Goulding is the biggest actor in the league. The amount of times he throws his head back asking for a foul while he is a foot away from anyone shows that. I think they will need to look for definite contact before deciding.

Reply #465551 | Report this post

Slammin'08  
Years ago

Pretty cheap shot by Erving. He did gesture to the refs that he copped an elbow to the face but I couldn't see anything. Either way unless it was an immediate provoked reaction which I doubt judging on the footage shown he should take a game. Hopefully the sixers can still get up on Tuesday without him! Be good to see a better crowd out.

Reply #465562 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Goulding offense was incredible from the 2nd quarter on but especially in the 4th quarter. very entertaining player and would be a useful SG for the boomers, given that despite their considerable talent, besides patty most of the team struggle or are reluctant to create their own shot, a skill which Goulding is beginning to master, although his defensive abilities are questionable.

Reply #465563 | Report this post

Years ago

Ah, the irony of Statsheet Stuffer telling another poster to get a clue.

Reply #465564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man situation your such an annoying douche.... You would be the most irritating dude to work with in the real world when keyboards cant help you. I always roll my eyes at the stuff you say.

Reply #465565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would like to see another replay as to me it looked like more of a knee shove rather then a shot to the groin with his knee.

Gary is kind of short and his leg didn't get very far off the ground.

Not a smart play in the slightest although I don't think he was attempting to cause serious injury to Bubbles.

Reply #465582 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"knee shove"
Yeah, and Joey's was a closed-fisted push.

Seriously, people?

Reply #465583 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

A knee shove?

Oh my giddy aunt.

Reply #465585 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

What Ervin did was extremely childish.. how hard he hit doesn't matter... he acted out like a wanker and left himself open to punishment. He probably deserves suspension but I really hope its just a fine. I am not sure the 36ers without ervin will get it over the tigers, I know they certainly wouldn't beat Perth that way. Hope he got scolded by the team and coach after.

Reply #465586 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Adelaide = dumbasses!

Reply #465588 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Totally 100% agree with GWB.

Reply #465589 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Goulding does something to provoke him, I can't see much in the lead-up on NBL.TV. KB doesn't seem too impressed when Ervin goes to the bench. Just not sure how Gary thought he was going to get away with that at all?!

Reply #465605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its the boy who cried wolf - Goulding is known as a flopper so when he does get a good hit (which I think this was by the way) people aren't sure if it is legit or not.

It looked like his head was partially turned so his reaction was real.

What will the NBL do... they HAVE to have this looked at before the next game.

Reply #465611 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

GWB,

Good analysis and I agree.

Except that I think the 36ers can be better without Ervin.

Obviously, more times than not the team will be better with him.

But sometimes he can shoot the 36ers out of the game/try to do too much.

Gibbo has composure and experience -- something which you need in an elimination game.

Reply #465617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ADELAIDE 36ers could lose import Gary Ervin for Tuesday's do-or-die third game against the Melbourne Tigers, who levelled their semi-final series with a come-from-behind win at Hisense Arena yesterday.

Ervin is expected to front the NBL Tribunal today after an unsavoury incident late in the game, in which he appeared to knee Tigers star Chris Goulding.

A masterclass performance from Goulding — who shot 37 points — helped the Tigers to a 98-87 win and force a deciding game in Adelaide Tuesday night.

Ervin — who had previously complained that Melboune’s players threw "cheap shots" — left Goulding crumpled on the floor after appearing to knee him in the groin behind the play.

The incident was caught on film and will be looked at by the NBL.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-import-gary-ervin-could-miss-series-decider-after-tigers-win-game-2-at-home/story-fndkzqrr-1226869089909

Reply #465620 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Thanks anon#565 Stuffer, I appreciate your kind words.

Whatever you do, don't respond to anything I've said that makes your eyes roll - just take a potshot anonymously so we know that you really mean it.

Reply #465628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isnt situation a radio guy in perth? or some kind of well known figure

Reply #465629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no just a wanker who has to be right. Clearly the situation as a nick name identifies the wanker as tho she really is
Why doesn't everyone post as anonymous a lot easier

Reply #465633 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't HAVE to be right. I just happen to be often. A lot people say things that are wrong, they know they're wrong, yet they still say them. I don't. Not my problem.

Reply #465637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could someone please tell me which quarter and with how much time left on the clock this incident happened? I'd like to find it on nbl.tv.

Reply #465643 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Just over three minutes to go in the game I think.

It is on YouTube...posted by Auryn McMillan. That's a strange step.

Reply #465646 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

The incident took place on the 4 minute mark after Walker's Trey.

I had a lot of respect for Ervin, not after that play.

Not only was it unsportsmanlike, but it really cost the team in the game and likely after the game.

With Gibbo less than 100% this could really be costly.

The footage is so clear, there is no denying the act.

Reply #465652 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

The you tube video looks pretty average. Can't see Goulding doing anything wrong.

I thought it was a joke when the @thesituation said the video was posted by a Tigers player. This guy needs to be ruled out for Tuesdays game as well.

Reply #465655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dirty act!!!!

Reply #465664 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

At this stage with a short turn around of having to make an informed decision before Tuesday all I can see is a great big fine being slapped on the player/club.

Reply #465665 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

A big fine is what, a thousand bucks?

Also the way Ervin has been playing of late, the team is a lot better with him on the court. Shooting more efficiently and getting others involved more. Plus his outside shot is really spacing defences more than earlier in the season.

Reply #465672 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

I'd like to add, if your gonna knee someone in the nuts during a televised sports game make it count. That knee looked like a scare tactic not an intention to strike.

Reply #465674 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I wasn't aware that MacMillan allegedly posted footage on YouTube if that's true is that against the rules?

Reply #465675 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't think the league has a clearly defined social media policy. If they do, they almost NEVER enforce it.

Reply #465680 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Goulding immediately got up smiling and Ervin copped a Tech Foul. Considering there was no real damage done, how much more does the NBL have to do to make a point. Crime committed, penalty paid, end of matter.

Reply #465682 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Razzie...

If you are going to scare someone / make them flinch, it is customary that they are actually looking.

Goulding was defending the inbound.

Please watch the footage before talking shit.

Reply #465683 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

EC....so disciplinary action should only be taken when there is lasting damage?

Never mind....what else should I expect from a class of supporters that defended the Wright punch?

Reply #465684 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

considering they are on NBL wages maybe Gaz can put on a sausage sizzle free of charge for the NBL.

Reply #465685 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Thanks situation. I doubt the league enforces many policies.

Reply #465686 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

I've watched it, IMO really not much in it. Don't get too upset, life is challenging when you're upset.

I call dirty on Ervin, it was cheap shot. But come on if your gonna lay one in, make it really count. :P

I'm just waiting for the AndTheFoul.net reenactment that'll clear the air. Perhaps get Sports Science involved? If not, then give Adam Savage from Myth Busters a call before he leaves Australia.

Reply #465687 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Joey Wrights reaction to Ervin says it all really

Reply #465688 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Marcus, disciplinary action was taken on court today. A Tech foul plus Joey benched him.

Reply #465689 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

EC, I see what you're saying. I don't know if the NBL can actually make a ruling based on him being benched (or what Joey would have done if it happened in the first quarter) but I think Joey dragging him was a very wise move.

Reply #465690 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

^ I guess some people were just raised differently.

Reply #465691 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Sorry Situation...I meant EC.

Reply #465692 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I can't work out why he wasn't ejected. If the refs saw it, what reason could they possibly have not to?

Reply #465693 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

Maybe the NBL was hoping Ervin would reject himself? You know just keep things laid back...

Reply #465697 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

*eject

Reply #465698 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I've just had a good look at the footage of the incident and replayed it about 10 times. A player putting out a knee happens all the time and is only penalized with a foul. What is the big deal here, is it Goulding's man parts that was hit that makes it a big deal? If so, have a good look at the footage of the incident and tell me you can see where Ervin's knee landed. It only shows the incident from the back of Ervin, he could have just hit Goulding's knee for all you can see.

Reply #465699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Getting desperate when you are defending a deliberate knee while the ball is out of bounds.

Reply #465700 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zC1ms4e2oE

Have a good look and be the judge yourselves. It clearly shows Ervin's knee bending only towards Goulding with his foot barely lifting off the ground. If you know how short Ervin is, it would be impossible for his knee to reach Goulding's Groin from that position.

Don't look at the incident with emotion, look at it with objectivity.

Reply #465701 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

Break out a fresh batch of popcorn this could go on all night! What a great read!

Reply #465702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC has solved the mystery. The 36er did no wrong. If only his teammates believed you, if only Gary hadn't made up a story on the spot about why he did it.

Reply #465703 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

It's what he meant to do, not the force he did it. Ervin is a wanker hard!! Didn't mind adelaide until u guyz got ervin! He is a bitch and a dog! And u cant dought who started it in perth?

Reply #465706 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Yeah, I'd love to know what gets you ejected if kneeing a man in the crotch doesn't qualify. Think the ref's bottled that.

Reply #465707 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

If you believe EC.
Ervin did no wrong.
I don't believe EC.

Reply #465708 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Here is EC as legal counsel.

EC : Your honour, my client is innocent because he is short.

Judge : GTFO.

Reply #465709 | Report this post

Melbourne Wildcat  
Years ago

Given the history and judgement's of the NBL tribunal this season, he'll be fine.

Reply #465718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats4life - by your logic "It's what he meant to do, not the force he did it" Ennis should have been suspended for attempting to strike Creek, twice...after all, its what he meant to do.

I'm not condoning what Gary did but given the fact that he didnt get ejected by the refs suggests that it isnt as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

Time to move on...

Reply #465719 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I think that suggests that the refs made a blunder.

Reply #465720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many Weeks would he get in AFL or NRL??

Reply #465721 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

The intent is what you judge here, not the lack of damage from Ervin's intent.

His intent was to knee Goulding in the groin. He obviously didn't connect or connect that hard. Goulding got up and kept playing. So does that mean if you punch someone in the street and they don't bruise or get injured from that punch that the perpetrator doesn't get charged with assault? No, they do.

Ervin's intent was to harm Goulding. Should be punished.

The league should talk to Goulding about his head butts off the ball. Give him a official warning.

Ervin wasn't ejected (which I find amazing!) so it's a little hard to suspend someone when they haven't been ejected. So what his punishment is I'm not sure. Personally I'd suspend him for game 3.

Imagine if Redhage or Wagstaff did this? The comments would be totally different. People would call for an expulsion from the league.

Reply #465723 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I think in previous NBL cases, the lack of punishment on the court has led the tribunal to decide that further punishment is required.

Reply #465724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a low act no doubt, but Nat how you can judge purely based on intent not contact or severity is bizarre to me. Should there be punishment? for sure, but did he make contact with the groin or knee him in the leg? How severe was the contact? I'm not saying it was one way or the other but you can't go handing out the same penalty for what people were *trying* to do.

Would you really expect taking a swing at someone and clipping their shoulder, and taking a swing and decking the person to the ground, knocking them out to get the same penalty?

Reply #465725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Professional Sport, you cant put your hand out for your 200G and act like a Street thug.
I could not explain what happened to my 8 year old son watching the game with me yesterday, apart from saying that Guy is a Knob, that s how not to act.
And sadly when we were up and about in the win i had to say the same thing about Ervin, Thats how not to act. EGO!!

Reply #465729 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

...what looks large from a distance, sometimes ain't never that big...

Reply #465731 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

#725 you're essentially just repeating to Nat what prompted him to say what he did. It wasn't the most severe blow but it was unarguably intentional. You guys are both saying the same thing.

Reply #465732 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@'725,

We're not talking an on-court blue here, we're not talking players going the handbags or ye olde fisticuffs.

He's gone up to a player and thrown the knee into the jatz crackers. Speaking as a bloke, straight away he's gone beyond the pale.

Reply #465733 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sadly, I can see this baggage staying with Ervin for whatever NBL future he has. Absolute brain fade. And came after his performance in Game 1 which was one of his best.

Reply #465739 | Report this post

dane suttle  
Years ago

I was at the game, courtside behind and to the left of the backboard where it happened. Goulding was defending the inboard pass, nothing else. Goulding had been warned by the refs to stop holding in D a couple of times and was defending without doing so, Ervin gave him a cheap shot. Ervin didn't put out a knee, simply put, he kneed Goulding in the balls. Goulding went down immediately and didn't get up smiling as someone posted. All I saw was a guy working extremely hard at both ends of the court to get his team back into the game.

Reply #465747 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Anon #465725 - You have to judge on intent as he kneed someone, plain as day. The direction was to his "man parts", whether due to him being a short arse he couldn't make as hard contact as he might have wanted to or not, is beside the point, there has to be a base punishment for that action. Using your example of throwing a punch that connects with the shoulder (shit at throwing punches) or decks the person (much better at throwing punches) is still the same act and should have a base level of punishment applied to it. The degree of the violent act should apply further punishment to it.

Reply #465826 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Also, it looks like common sense came to MacMillan either voluntarily or otherwise and the video has been removed by the user...

Reply #465827 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Was he drunk at the time?

That makes a big difference in NSW.

Reply #465828 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Please people, don't make any more comments on what I have said. Instead, do what I asked and look at the footage. Then make a comment based on what you see, not what I say. I never said Ervin did no wrong. I said from what I saw from the footage, I could not see how his knee reached Goulding's groin. To me it looks like his foot barely lifted off the ground. He is far too short from that position to reach the groin area. It looked to me that the bending of the knee only resulted in him wrapping his ankle around Goulding's ankle. If anyone sees it differently, please comment on that.
The unsportsmanlike foul was penalty enough because if it wasn't the refs would have ejected him from the game. Not sure what point the NBL is trying to make by the 1 game suspension and $7,500 fine. In case anyone hasn't noticed, the 36ers have busted their guts this season to get to the position they are in. With good coaching and good development of players, they have convincingly reached 2nd on the ladder. They have been the team with the most home wins (only lost 1 to Sydney). Its disgraceful for the NBL to penalise the whole team like this after all they have done to come this far.

Reply #466059 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:30 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754