Isaac
Years ago

Gary Ervin charged, tribunal at noon today

The NBL has charged Adelaide 36ers player Gary Ervin over an alleged kneeing incident during yesterday's Game 2 of the Finals series against the Melbourne Tigers.

Ervin has been charged with:

1. Striking
2. Unduly Rough Play
3. Misconduct

The charges will be heard by a tribunal today via teleconference at 12:00 noon AEDT.

Topic #34081 | Report this topic

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

Adam Savage will get to the bottom of this...

Reply #465734 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

4. Ball Tampering

Reply #465736 | Report this post

hoops147  
Years ago

This is a joke, why wasn't Goulding charged with flopping, he is getting worse than Redhage who is the dirtiest player in the nbl.

Ervin was made out to be the bad guy in the Perth Brawl, but he had every right to ark up after Greg Hire shot the 3 when time was expiring and the cats were up 20.

If Ervin is suspended, all adelaide fans should not attend tomorrow nights game in protest

Reply #465741 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

LOL @ hoops147

Reply #465743 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

I'm going to protest your post!

Reply #465746 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I just hope that people are honest at the hearing. Did or didnt he make contact to the nether regions or was it an exaggeration.

Reply #465748 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Question is though to what extent does it matter whether he connected with the groin or the balls...

At the of the day he raised a knee at Goulding with some force..

Reply #465749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so 3 refs didnt see it. Amazing.

Reply #465750 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

The NBL seems to have covered themselves for the "it was a push with a raised kneecap" defence by charging him with misconduct and rough play in addition to striking. It's hard to see how he will escape all three charges.

The interesting part will be what penalty he gets. While I think he is a grub, I hope they fine him rather than suspend him. That will (a) put the focus back on the basketball and (b) mean that whoever ultimately wins the title out of the three teams left standing will need to do against the others at full strength.

Reply #465751 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

There have been some contemptible posts on this board this season, but hoops147, you can hold your head up high as having contributed something truly and thoroughly pathetic, something which stands out.

Well done, lad.

And he had no right to arc up at Hire; none, nada, zip, zilch, nothing, nil, null, not a single one!

Reply #465753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have no idea hoops147 - Ervin had no right to ark up after a player hit a shot.

It was a dog act and Ervin should be suspended. Any supporters like you should not attend games.

Reply #465755 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

Hey Hoops 147, if the Adelaide fans don't attend tomorrow's game in protest, will anyone notice after the paltry turnout for game 1?

Reply #465756 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Imagine the drama if he was to be suspended we would never hear the end of it.
My tip is he will get a fine. Regardless of whether Adelaide go on to win the title or not this year Ervin won't be back next year

Reply #465757 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Hoops 147 hahahahaha.
147 must be your height because if it was your IQ you wouldn't make such a silly statement.

Reply #465758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On Ervin being back next year would love to see Rotnei replace him!

Reply #465762 | Report this post

Ryan  
Years ago

haha the deciding game of a semi final series is no time for a protest. We need as many fans in the building as possible!

Reply #465767 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Should be left at the unsportsmanlike foul. He kneed a dude in the balls, the more severe foul was called, just leave it at that.

Reply #465769 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Left at USF? It was a joke he wasn't ejected; kneeing a player in the balls whilst the actual ball is out of play? I don't think so, son.

Reply #465770 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

You don't think deliberately kneeing a guy goes just a little beyond USF?

Reply #465772 | Report this post

CrackerJack  
Years ago

Seen a lot of elbows being thrown around and other deliberate plays with the intention of hurting players. BUT IF YOU LIFT A KNEE TO A MAN'S REGION WATCH OUT!!!

I see a lot of fans are more protective of Goulding's man parts than Goulding is himself...

Basically if you're going to punish that, then there is a long list of players who should of had their day in court. Goulding included.

Yes Ervin did the Dirtiest of Dirty, and he should be punished. Would like to see the NBL set a standard and stick with it.

My view, one heck of a fine with a solid warning. Do anything like that again in your future with the NBL and you will be suspended.

Reply #465774 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Oh, he should have been ejected, no doubt. But he wasn't. He shouldn't be suspended the next game because the refs didn't throw him out. That's on the refs, not him.

Reply #465775 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

I'd give Goulding a week for tea bagging Garys knee. Disgusting thing to do.

Reply #465776 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Can anyone remember/compare this with Worthington's elbow in 2008 that got him a one-game suspension.

I can't recall the Worthington elbow. How does it stack up here?

Good precedent to use?

Reply #465779 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

And the Worthington elbow I am referring to is the one he threw at Redhage in the Sydney vs Perth Semi Finals series*

Reply #465780 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Both were deliberate, both were using body parts which simply can't be used on the basketball court, both had impact overstated by the victim.

Reply #465781 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

Wow. ok. I'd imagine thats us cooked for the season.

Can't believe Ervin got sucked into that sort of behaviour at all not to mention on the birth of a GF appearance :-|

Reply #465782 | Report this post

+1 @ situation

(Never thought I'd be posting that!) lol

Reply #465783 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Am I the only one that thought 147 was being sarcastic?

10 mins to go - the tension, the drama!

Reply #465784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12pm eastern

Reply #465787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'd get 6 weeks in the AFL for doing that or sin bin in NRL. Should have been disqualified and reported without any question.

Reply #465788 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The NBL deserve kudos for taking quick and decisive action on this and not allow it to drag on and be held following the semi final game 3.

Reply #465789 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

LC, let's wait for the verdict before we start the congratulatory messages..

Reply #465793 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I only gave them kudos for ensuring;

1) Ervin was cited (charged) quickly
2) A hearing was scheduled for today prior to game 3

As for the outcome...TBA

Reply #465794 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Steven why are you so adamant that Ervin will not be back next year? If this is the case, then is this Gary or the 36ers decision?

I really hope Adelaide can pull it together and win the title this season because I think there will be a few players (Johnson,Creek,Cadee) leaving at seasons end.

Reply #465796 | Report this post

confused  
Years ago

hoops 147, where in the rules does it state do not shoot late in the game when you are winning by 20pts.

How silly would you look if you missed the finals because of 1 pt in the for and against.

for me, all games should be played out to the end by both teams.By your reckoning if a team is up by plenty, they should bring in a mercy rule and stop the game.

Reply #465797 | Report this post

steve bolton  
Years ago

Apparently one of the refs has put in a report supporting Goulding flopping during the incident stating that to be so crippled by such a knee, a player would need to actually have balls in the first place. This was based on the player's previous whinging and crying when a foul was called on him/her, however they are doing some tests to see whether being kneed in the vagina still hurts enough to send a player to the floor.

Reply #465799 | Report this post

CrackerJack  
Years ago

@Gary Ervin - I believe ya mate. Stay frosty!

Reply #465801 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

That can't be the real Gary Ervin. That was three consecutive words, all spelt correctly. Gary's record is one.

Reply #465802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahhh situation, good to see your input, now its a valid thread.

Reply #465805 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Thanks anon. We all love your input too.

Reply #465806 | Report this post

Jodiechrist  
Years ago

@SteveBolton Insulting Goulding by calling him a girl? Well done. Nice to see sexism's still alive and well in the forum.

Reply #465807 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't think telling Christ to die is appropriate either, Jo.

Reply #465808 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Steve Bolton play lunch is over go back to class.

Reply #465809 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Surely 147 was having a joke. Cannot believe people took that bait.

Ervin should be suspended for a game in my opinion. Makes life harder for the 36ers, but so be it.

Reply #465810 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

When you read hoops147's two other posts, I am not so sure.

Reply #465812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

should have charged him then dropped the charged 30 mins later, seemed to work OK in perth when a punch definately connected

camera angle was bad so players words n umpires opinions are whats gonna matter, umpires would have struggled to see anything other than goulding drop if you look at the tapes/angles etc..

Reply #465815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your just painful situtaion, you should have a one game suspension.

Reply #465816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding from Sunday....

--------------------------------
"I just felt something in my man parts," he said.
----------------------------------

Maybe he felt aroused?

LINK: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-star-gary-ervin-charged-over-unsportsmanlike-foul/story-fni2u9cl-1226869606770

Reply #465819 | Report this post

arthur deigh  
Years ago

A knee to the knads is below the belt literally and figuratively, that is why it should be treated at least as harshly as an elbow.

And I love all these people ragging on Goulding saying it wouldn't hurt. Maybe they can spread 'em and let Gary have a free hit? It's like in MMA when a guy cops one - the commentators are so quick to judge that it was only a light blow or glancing blow, but they're not the ones who copped it!

Reply #465822 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Just saw Goulding and the boys a minute ago driving down Hindley.

I thought it prudent not to ask how his balls were.

Reply #465830 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

You have to feel for the NBL.

Monday after a weekend of finals action, what would you want everyone to be talking about? The great action on the court, the excitement of tomorrow night's do-or-die game or an incident like this?

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the situation, it's got to be a huge frustration for the custodians of the league.

Reply #465835 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I think it adds to the overall excitement and anticipation of the rest of the finals.

Reply #465837 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

True. There is no such thing as bad publicity (although reports of the poor crowds in the eastern finals would not be good).

Reply #465838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If this was regular season, he would definatly get 1 or 2 games! But seems its going into a semi game 3, he will definatly get off with a suspended sentence of a game or 2

Reply #465839 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

I'm not condoning Ervin's actions but this is really going to spice things up for tomorrow nights decider. As if the game wasn't going to be fiery enough.

I don't know about anybody else but I can't wait for 7 o'clock tomorrow night. The skills, the emotion, the momentum swings, the coaching adjustments....hang onto your hats because this is going to be a classic.

Reply #465841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's taking so long?

Reply #465842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apology would surfice.

Reply #465844 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

I have a couple of friends who are now marginally more interested in the NBL/finals than they otherwise would have been as a result of this incident. That's the sad reality of the current level of public interest and media coverage in the league.

Re the crowds, it is a concern when regular season games like the Tigers' previous game at Hisense against Sydney and Adelaide's final season game against Melbourne get bigger crowds than the first two semi-finals in those venues. I know there are a few different factors contributing to this like the scheduling and ticket prices etc., but for me it emphasizes the need to look at shifting the season.

Either the season is just shortened to avoid any crossover with AFL/NRL, or something more radical like a July-December season where at least there is clear air for the finals.

Reply #465854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But Jez how would Forestville handle that!!

Reply #465858 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Any news yet?

Reply #465860 | Report this post

hoops147  
Years ago

No im seriously not joking,

Reply #465861 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

See, we told you he was actually that deranged.

Reply #465862 | Report this post

Poker  
Years ago

Personally, I hope whoever wins out of the 36ers / Tigers beats Perth. If the 36ers with Ervin are a better chance than the Tigers then I hope Ervin gets off. (and I am a Tigers fan)

The drama of the whole thing is adding to the excitement for tomorrow nights game.

Reply #465870 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Sounds like I was wrong about the incident being bad for the league. Maybe "being Ervined" will do for the NBL what "being Hopoated" did for the ARL...

Reply #465874 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Personally I hope whoever wins out of the 36ers / Tigers doesn't beat Perth.

I may be biased though.

Reply #465875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth deserve to win they are the best team and the Most professional.

Reply #465877 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

The team that wins deserves to win.... Perth havent earned anything yet. They would want to play the Tigers BIG TIME, and if they say they dont care, they are lying. 6ers are a very dangerous matchup over 3 games for Perth.

Reply #465884 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Any chance of a decision before tomorrows game. 5 hours with no outcome....

Reply #465890 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Yea, i was more worried from the hawks than dirty 6ers! Perth better wear ball protecters!! U guys hit the 3 ball u mite have a chance, if it aint fallin ure fukt like yesterday.

Reply #465893 | Report this post

nailna3  
Years ago

all these comments on "he should be suspended etc" and yet, lets go back 5 years ago and think about the GF series between Dragons and Tigers.

Anstey was charged with striking rhys carter with elbow. Now protected species Anstey got what? Nothing! Absolutely SF....all! His sanction was s suspended sentence. The matter was over in 35 mins.

Yes, it was a GF series however the ruling body decided it couldn't keep him out because then it would make it unfair and as the age newspaper writes, would cause angst amongst top nbl ranking officials.

I don't condone what happened however if its good for one to get off, its good for the other to get off. fine by all means, but if one gets a suspended sentence then so does the other.

Reply #465898 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@kobe24, hard to say, Adelaide beat us both times in Adelaide, but lost both times in Perth, one close, once thrashed. Melbourne lost both times away ... but they're also the only side in the playoffs to have won in Perth.

Pick your poison!

Reply #465899 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

here, as shakespeare wrote, ;'it's too late to go to bed,now.'

Reply #465900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats for life, if the 6ers hit the 3, they are more than a 'chance'.

Reply #465901 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

NBL is taking their sweet time... Hurry the f up!

Reply #465902 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I have no clue what went through Ervin's mind. It's unacceptable behaviour, even if Goulding flopped, Ervin still did a stupid thing which is going to be costly for the 36ers.

Reply #465903 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti suspects the verdict is as per this all-new exciting ERVIN VERDICT THREAD!

Reply #465910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ervin was boiling over all season and this was bound to happen.

Reply #465928 | Report this post

Chewbacca  
Years ago

http://youtu.be/U0oT4Oc6ShU

Let's not forget this only got a one match ban and a suspended sentence at that clearing him to play in the following final.

Consistency, thy name is judicial systems.

Reply #465954 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Or lets not forget when Anstey purposely elbowed Maher in the face

"Anstey threw an elbow which sent the Sixers' icon sprawling to the floor, clutching his chin.

"I was stunned when I saw it was him," Anstey candidly admitted. "Anyone in the league but Mahersy. I made sure I found Brett and told him it was a case of mistaken identity."

Indeed. Anstey's errant elbow had been intended for Maher's equally diminutive team-mate Brad Davidson."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/antsy-anstey-hits-high/story-e6freuy9-1111118208322

So here is a guy that did it on purpose and admitted it but the NBL didn't suspend him. Then as Chewbacca mentioned charged at Carter and didn't get suspended for a game. Yet here is Ervin getting suspended.

Last season Madgen throws a chair in the direction of an umpire and didn't even get a tech. Ennis clearly throws a punch towards Creek but that is "No case to answer". Wright with a punch, team gets a fine. Great consistency NBL!

The NBL Tribunal is an absolute joke! Let's hope they actually fix it next season with some consistency.

Reply #465997 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:09 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754