Isaac
Years ago

Official: Ervin suspended one game, $7,500 fine

Boti on Twitter:

OK. My (e)mail is Gary Ervin has a 1-match ban & $7500 fine. Expect something from @NBL soon.

Edit: NBL have made the official announcement:
Adelaide 36ers guard Gary Ervin has been handed a one game suspension and a $7,500 fine after three charges levelled against him were heard by an independent tribunal this afternoon.

Ervin was referred straight to the tribunal after a kneeing incident involving Melbourne Tigers player Chris Goulding in yesterday's Game 2 of the NBL Finals series.

He pleaded guilty to a Striking charge and was found guilty of Unduly Rough Play and Misconduct.

In addition to the penalty, Ervin has also been handed a suspended two-game ban and a suspended $10,000 fine. These penalties will apply if Ervin re-offends during the next two years.

The one game suspension rules Ervin out of tomorrow night’s Game 3 against Melbourne in Adelaide.

Topic #34088 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow

Game 3 - the plot thickens!

Reply #465909 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Get your tickets people. 36ers are now the undie-dogs and will kneed a bit of extra support from the crowd.

Reply #465911 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

6ers still win this one, that team is deeeeeeep, Gary got what he deserved on that one. Goulding is no angel, nor has beens such as Worthington, but if Maher had been kneed in the balls we would have stampeded the NBL headquarters if no one had been suspended. Still believe Tigers played their GF yesterday.

Reply #465913 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Hope Gibbo is closer to 100%.

Reply #465915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair.

And atleast the league has its villain now...hope he is in the nbl next year...

Reply #465918 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Roy Ward has the official details:

OFFICIAL:Ervin out for game 3, cops $7500 fine, two-game suspended sentence and suspended $10k fine. #NBLFinals

Reply #465920 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Cant believe Im saying this but more I think about it, im impressed with the usually pathetic impotent NBL hierarchy for this call. Just dont know if James Ennis would get the same. Cadee will step up very nicely and Tigers will find issues either way.

Reply #465921 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Clearly, in a manly sport, one's testicles must be held sacred.

Reply #465922 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

Fair is fair.... Not surprising at all really.

Reply #465923 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Nice one Isaac - "kneed" our support!!

Reply #465924 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The price of a brain fade

Reply #465925 | Report this post

samesame  
Years ago

Correct decision, and glad the league has gone this way.

Now if they couldn't go back and hand out appropriate penalties for the Perth v Adelaide situation, they might start to look like having a back bone.

Reply #465926 | Report this post

samesame  
Years ago

*could go back

Reply #465927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought it would have been a big fine with a suspended game, not a game + big fine.

Seems perhaps a little excessive with other incidents we've seen and if he was headbutted earlier in the play.

Anyway, bring on game 3. I would think this incident would be good for the league in terms of exposure.

Reply #465929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who should start game 3?

i say Carter, put him on Goulding from the start,

Reply #465930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As joey said on he news. The umps didn't get the game under control earlier and it boiled over. Incidents both ends of the floor. No excuses but a high stakes game and others also lost the plot but took it out on a chair... That sounds familiar.... Done now so back to the game.

Reply #465931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happens if Ervin doesn't pay the fine, or says he can't afford it?

Can he be put on a payment plan?

Reply #465933 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The issue of suspended penalties in an interesting one. What if Ervin leaves the NBL and comes back two years later? Would be interesting if they say two seasons of play as opposed to two calendar years.

Reply #465934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

do we really think these NBL fines are paid up. I doubt it.

Reply #465935 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

yeah, saw it just then on tennews..joey; 'shouldda called a lotta contact earlier..'

Reply #465936 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Unless the NBL goes to great lengths to hide that fact, I would think auditors would pick up on that.

Reply #465937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to disagree with Isaac on the earlier comment. Adelaide surely are still warm favourites. Have shown time and time again this year that they don't rely on one single player and are a different team at home. Certainly should be a much tighter outcome than game 1, though!

Do agree though that Adelaide fans need to come out to this one! Letting down your team if you don't. May be the last game you get to see this season and at the most would be the second to last.

Reply #465938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

huh?

NBL is a small private company unlisted why would there be an audit

Reply #465939 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Who cares about the fine and if its paid or not.... Game 3 of a semi final is a massive hit, considering several 36ers have said Goulding got up grinning. Goulding's a gamer, knows how to suck players in, just as well as Ervin has done over his time.

Man tomorrow will be huge!!!

Reply #465940 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Ervin got what he deserved for his idiocy but it is a pretty harsh blow for the 6ers,, charge him 15 G and let him play I say.

Reply #465942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably why it was a $ fine + suspension as the $ may never see the light of day but you can't decide to ignore and show up and suit up for a game when you're suspended.

Reply #465943 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

In the end the league is the true loser out of this. Great setting for the great players to clash, now you take one out of it. Goulding is one smug bugger, would love for him to struggle tomorrow, his teammates must love how much he shoots. He makes Andrew Gaze look like John Stockton! Another thing in the 6ers favour is that Chris Anstey is the Melbourne Tigers coach...

Reply #465945 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Fair punishment IMO - missing the one game.

I think Anstey should also be punished for walking onto the court and confronting the umpires as well as McMillan for posting the incident on social media before a punishment had been set. Fair is fair

Reply #465946 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I wonder if he would have gotten more, the same, or less if he just went the right hook instead of the knee?

Reply #465947 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Wonder if wouldve got the same punishment if he was James Ennis.

Reply #465948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Sixers win regardless as Anstey has no clue? Imagine a coach like him in the Grand Final Tigers would be lambs to the slaughter.

Reply #465949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe24 - goulding could be so much more efficient and probably still average the same if he stopped taking the bad shots. The only ones he misses are the ridiculous ones.

Reply #465950 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Not exactly a useful hypothetical? I can't imagine anyone else in the league throwing the knee in. Hell, I didn't even think Ervin was capable of it, despite his instigator role in Perth.

Reply #465951 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Also just look back at some history if 6ers fans are concerned. Mark davis goes down in Game 1 of the semis in '94, dominate the Tigers in Melbourne in Game 2. Great teams find a way, Cadee has his time to shine now. The guys are very comfortable with him running the show, crowd and the Tigers ability to tighten up offensively will get us to the GF. Cant wait!

Reply #465953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Joey mouthing off at the umpires in game 2. He was warned but did not stop. He should have received a technical - as for his complaints re not calling fouls earlier, I can't remember the exact number but adelaide made many more trips to the free throw line.

Reply #465955 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Just received word from my counsel that the NBL wouldn't necessarily have a legal obligation to get audited, depends on the structure of the business.

Also, fines and penalties handed down to player from the league are only internal so the NBL isn't legally obligated to receive funds from the player if they chose not to.

Reply #465961 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Sixers still favourites for me.

Tigers have no gameplan on either end of the floor. Everything just relies on two enormously scorers in Wortho and Goulding.

Reply #465962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey has no class, come out and say Gary should not of done that and we cop it sweet.
A knee to the nuts is not the Ref's fault.

Reply #465964 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Goulding could never truly be efficient. He is a video game style in the zone type. When he is hot he's hot when he's not he's horrible. But as a coach, especially with such poor depth around him, you cant convince him to take perceived better shots. He took some woeful shots in game 2, early in the shot clock etc BUT when they go in, he's a star. Point is his style of play is never going to be cohesive with because guys with the ever green light take bad shots, they just go in more than you expect.

The point of my hypothetical just for the sake is Ennis would never be suspended, he and the perth faithful mean too much to the league. And for the record Ervin got what he deserved on this one, just picked the right team to go against to miss a game imo.

Reply #465965 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Really, this coach has taken a piss poor team for season and season to within one home win of a GF, and still he cops it for one of his players brain fades! C'mon now...

Reply #465967 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

You're hoping for a miracle if you think Cadee is going to step up.

Reply #465969 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

Channel 9 news just showed another clip of Goulding giving Ervin a deliberate headbutt before the incident. Thought there had to be something else to it

Reply #465970 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Kobe, that's why he will be hard pressed finding a tip line Euro gig. As Paul pointed out in another thread, it's all about micromanaging and efficiency in the cutthroat leagues.

Same goes for DJ to some extent. Especially seeing he's weaker on the glass than he should be.

Reply #465971 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

more on ninenews just then.. goulding giving ervin a headbutt

Reply #465972 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Statestuffer, I totally agree on both. Big fish in small pond in NBL.

Reply #465973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how is that that the refs just called a foul and didn't report it after the game? I have seen nothing to indicate that Ervin's citing came from a refs report.

Reply #465974 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I would love to see the reaction if Nathan Buckley just walked into the middle of the ground after the umpires stopped play while Swanny copped one off the ball in his groin.

Surely Anstey has to be sighted?

Reply #465976 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Ennis kneed someone in the groin, I think you'd see repercussions. He's the darling for now and you can't imagine him being punished because he hasn't done that. The knee was just so blatant and unnecessary.

Kobe24, I'm getting the impression that you're excited about this game...

Reply #465977 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Ervin acted foolishly, the punishment was deserved. Pain for us 36ers fans, i'm pretty pissed off and will be more so if we lose game 3. Ervin needs to start acting like a professional.

Reply #465978 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

more blatant on tv news services tonite...closer up or so than ten at the game yesterday..

Reply #465981 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Makes for an awesome game 3. Picking a winner made more difficult with Ervin's omission but I suspect the sixers will make it...just.

Reply #465982 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

I believe that Cadee will step up but not fully to Ervin's level. Carter is the one who will find those missing 3 pointers for the 36'ers.
Regarding paying NBL fines, Didn't Jason Smith have a $10,000 one that was slipped under the carpet when lawyers got involved on his behalf? Grossly over fined anyway.
The last fines I heard of actually being paid were Rillie and Harvey re umpiring inconsistencies. Must have been a dozen years ago.

Reply #465983 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

The term is "cited" not sighted.

And, Kobe, there is no way on earth Ennis wouldn't have copped a week. We're talking about a knee to the groin with the ball out of play, comparing this to the rumble in the jungle is like comparing the Russian take-over of the Crimea to going back to the '80s and ramming the Red Army into West Germany through the Fulda Gap.

Reply #465984 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

He should of got a 2 game suspension and $5k fine.Suspended sentences are a joke.

Reply #465985 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Centrebet just pushed NBL title odds for 36ers out from $3 to $4.25 and Tigers in from $10 to $9.

So not swinging the pendulum hugely.

Reply #465986 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Jake pls.

Reply #465987 | Report this post

CJB77  
Years ago

Honestly expected to see this happen but hoped the NBL would see the sense that punishment happened in game... a fine on top of that yep agree no problem... but Goulding, as much as he milked it for as much as he could while on the floor, was not injured or forced to leave the court. Ervin was provoked and that seems to have been ignored. as stupid as it was... ive seen worse not even called on the court let alone sent to a tribunal. The severity of the punishment, is far excessive for what the incident caused. To even suggest this was worth "3 games" suspended or otherwise, is ludicrous.

Reply #465988 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Ervin was not provoked, plain and simple. He is a loose cannon who thinks he is entitled to react however he wants to whatever ludicrous indiscretion he feels he shouldn't be subject to. While it's his first punishment, it's not the first time he has overreacted to something minor.

The fine is extremely harsh though and I think a suspension would have been adequate.

Reply #465990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ervin is an idiot. Thought the fine was a little excessive though

Reply #465991 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It's not Joey's fault. If there's a player who just knees a dude in the junk, there's a problem with the player. I don't think Joey or the club give off the vibe that it's an okay thing to do.

Reply #465992 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

@thesituation........I thought I have summed it up pretty well. What is the difference?

Reply #465999 | Report this post

CJB77  
Years ago

@thesituation... "not provoked?"... Goulding in his face... and a head butt... just look at the footage. That to me is a faily conclusive bit of provocation. Loose cannon or not, he doesn't knee people in the ballsack just for giggles.

Reply #466000 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Because you want everyone else in the world cited, claiming "fair is fair" as if it's going to make a difference to what Ervin did.

Reply #466001 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

So can anyone say 100% that Goulding headbutted Ervin?

If so, that's definite provocation. Whether it's punishable in itself or means enough to reduce the Ervin penalty, I don't know.

Reply #466002 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

CJB77, it doesn't matter what Goulding may or may not have done on the play prior, after the play stopped and the ball was being inbounded, Ervin decided to act out of revenge, completely unreasonably.

Reply #466004 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

@thesituation - "the whole world" - just Anstey for walking the length of the court. No other sport I can think of would this would happen without being sited.

I said above I agree with Ervin missing the one game.

Reply #466005 | Report this post

Poker  
Years ago

Is there footage of any of it on youtube?
I can't find it.

Reply #466006 | Report this post

CJB77  
Years ago

@thesituation - this all happened in the one incident. would understand if goulding had said/done something 5 minutes earlier then when Ervin found the chance he sought "revenge". It was a reaction to an incident that Goulding started. Not saying Ervin is innocent, obviously, but the punishment is far excessive for the crime committed. U need to look at it as a whole. also, u may need to try and remove ur head from ur ass. :)

Reply #466007 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yeah the fine is way harsh but i'm pretty sure everyone was sure that 1 game suspension was coming. We better win or he is not going to have very many friends. It was one of the biggest brain explosions i have seen in a while, the timing and blatant nature was just stupid.

Reply #466011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This head-butt thing is an interesting spin to all of this.

Dumb move by Ervin, however head-butting (or attempting to do so) should also be looked at by the tribunal.

Reply #466012 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

-'Centrebet just pushed NBL title odds for 36ers out from $3 to $4.25 and Tigers in from $10 to $9.

So not swinging the pendulum hugely'

$9, that's the best bet of the year, I'm down for $500.

I'm a 6ers fan but for some reason I'm thinking it will be a thrashing by the tigers.

Reply #466014 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Goulding has been doing that headbutt move all season. He wants his opponent to make contact with his head so he can milk a foul. I don't like it, I think he should be teched for it, but he wasn't trying to hurt Ervin in any way. The provocation defence is bullshit.

Reply #466015 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Foul happens Ervin is smiling 3 seconds later he is kneeing Goulding in the jatz crackers. Fair to say something happened in those 3 seconds . I can see 2 attempted head collisions instigated by golding

Reply #466017 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Is there footage of this alleged headbutt anywhere?

Reply #466019 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Ask McMillan for the footage - he may even post it back on you tube - that is how professional the guy is.

Reply #466021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if Kobe24 has watched much basketball this year, or perhaps just hasn't watched the tigers play much.
Re:Goulding comments.

Reply #466025 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

"Ask McMillan for the footage - he may even post it back on you tube - that is how professional the guy is."

I don't think its about professionalism..I kinda think he is missing a few cells in that important area of the brain

Reply #466026 | Report this post

Quasi  
Years ago

Be interesting to see if Ervin rocks up on the bench tomorrow night. He was selfish and really cost the team with a moronic move and his subsequent suspension. I'd be pissed if I was them

Reply #466027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he's suspended he has no right to be on the bench.

Reply #466029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My family has a spare seat he is welcome to come and sit with us No excuses being made but having watched the acting and provocation over the last few years from some players you can see how not only Ervs but players in general can lose it. They should take their punishment (most deny and don't and we've seen that already this year). He has expressed his disappointment in himself and letting down the team on twitter. He's a good guy but passionate, we love that about him and that brings his exciting game but with that often comes the flip side. Forgive and move on. Plenty near us who dislike the antics too and would love to have him join us cheer the team on... I'm confident the boys can get it done.

Reply #466030 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

I think a one game suspension is fair punishment. Very surprised though that the NBL enforced an adequate punishment. They appear to have learned from past incidents and acted more decisively this time.
As for game three i think carter and cadee will cover the loss of ervin and comfortably dispose of the tigers.

Reply #466033 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I'd like to congratulate the NBL on their swift action, putting some faith back in the league after Joey was let off for that punch.

Even with this I think the 6'ers will be favourites to get up.

Would Nate really take advantage of Ervin's absence?

Still will need a good game from Cadee and Carter.

Its going to be a great game tomorrow.

Reply #466034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ervins Twitter Post

Today has been one of the toughest days of my life. I let my emotions get the best of me and let down my family, teammates, coaching staff and the whole 36ers org and fans. I wanna take this time to apologise to all and the ppl that look up to me as a role model. Thanks for the ppl that's by my side
2014-03-31

Reply #466035 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

He's acknowledged that he stuffed up so it's time to move on.
Huge game tomorrow win or go home was looking forward to the game but not anymore thanks channel 10.

Reply #466040 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

What about an apology to the person he kneed?

If he is a role model, isn't this part of the taking personal ownership journey?

Reply #466045 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

It will be fascinating to see what effect this has on Adelaide as a team. I think it could turn out to be something that really pulls them together and gets them very focussed. I wouldn't be surprised to see them blow Melbourne away tomorrow. If that happens, the GF is going to be great to watch and be very very close.

Reply #466049 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Is the GF 3 games or 5?

Reply #466055 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

Reply #466056 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Situation, would that "something minor" that Ervin reacted to happen to be a head butt from Goulding? A knee in the groin is pretty bad, but a head butt is very acceptable (you're joking).

Reply #466062 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

^^^ Dont think he said a head butt is acceptable

Reply #466067 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

It's Gouldings fault he disrespected Ervin by shooting the ball with 4 mins left on the clock.

Anyway Ervin has apologised to everyone (except the guy he kneed) so what more can he do.

Reply #466072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey Wright not a fan of the decision.

"I think they went ridiculously overboard," he said of Ervin's finals record $7500 fine and one-game suspension.

“I didn’t think he’d be suspended by what led to it.

“A lot went on the refs didn’t get a hold of - if (Tigers centre Scott) Morrison, at 250 pounds and running full speed while Gary is standing, talking to me at the sideline, can run through him, well the damage is done.

“He’s not running into his own people, he’s not running into Gibbo (Adam Gibson) but he can run through Gary six times?

“You don’t expect that’s going to get Gary after a while?”

Melbourne hits The Fortress with nothing to lose and on a momentum roll, especially with Ervin’s expulsion.

“We just have to be tougher,” Wright said of Adelaide matching Melbourne’s physicality.

“We’re in the weight room every day for a reason.

“The thing is, we can play physical and aggressive basketball but we’ve been told for most of the year that it’s being cleaned up.

“And for the most part it was.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-coach-joey-wrights-fighting-words-after-losing-gary-ervin-for-decider-against-melbourne-tigers/story-fnii09ki-1226870268617

Reply #466073 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

What Joey bitching at a decision and claiming mitigating circumstances .......wow I find that hard to believe?

Is this an April Fools Day joke?

Reply #466075 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

These be dark days.

Reply #466078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you know if he hasn't already picked up the phone or even caught up before leaving melbourne and apologised already. Who knows if Goulding has apologised for his behaviour all year....Has Mardge and Wortho started a Chairaholics Anonymous , Flopanonymous for well you know whose......Let it be people and enjoy the rest of the season..........

Reply #466083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches are permitted on the court if there is a melee or to attend an injured player, and technically there was both, so no reason for Anstey to be cited/sited/sighted/cyted.

Reply #466084 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Thumbs up to Ervin for what he said on Twitter and acknowledging that he was wrong.

Everyone makes mistakes.

Not very classy from Joey though.

Ervin is coming out and saying he let the emotion get the best of him/ that he was out of line.

Then Joey is coming out and saying Ervin was provoked and was justified what he did.

Time to move on and coach I say.

Reply #466089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice logic Situation!

"Goulding has been doing that headbutt move all season. He wants his opponent to make contact with his head so he can milk a foul. I don't like it, I think he should be teched for it, but he wasn't trying to hurt Ervin in any way."

How do we know Gary wasnt trying to hurt Goulding? Looked more of a love tap to me and didnt warrant Goulding squirming all over the floor.

The provacation thing may be bullshit but so is your statement. It's not about whether the intent is to hurt, its whether it is right.

Reply #466092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding got up grinning at several 6er players around him, this is a fact, as I heard it first from a 36er. He milked it and the refs and the NBL all fell for it. Fine wouldve been enough, if proper contact, then suspension... but unless Goulding literally does not have testes, then he didnt get hit there. At Gary's height was more chance of a corked thigh.

Reply #466094 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Because I've seen Goulding do it all season and I know exactly what he is doing.

Reply #466096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ all of a sudden becomes very important with no other proven scorers.Haters need to lay off him today, you need him now!!

Reply #466099 | Report this post

Jodiechrist  
Years ago

Anon 094 - there was no grinning, wincing at best. The whole thing was protracted for a fair while and no one on court looked happy about what was happening at all. This is from my own direct view of the incident.

Reply #466105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm starting to lose resepect for Joey - his comments are out of line.

Reply #466114 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

There was no melee, heck there wasn't even a push between players so Anstey suggesting he was on court to stop something is laughable.
Anstey could go on court tend to Goulding but by even stepping on court rules say Goulding then needed to be substituted out.

Reply #466118 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

I'm guessing Joey's comments are more of a tactical ploy to try and ensure the refs have a close eye on Melbourne's physicality - especially Morrison. Wouldn't be the first time a coach has used comments in the media to try and bring something closer to the refs attention, particularly at this time of year. A smart move in this regard I think.

Reply #466122 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

So why did Joey highlight ScoMo running in to Ervin (something which no one else has mentioned) as a catalyst for Ervin's over-reaction, but not the two supposed headbutts? I thought the headbutts were compelling evidence - seems the coach doesn't think so.

Reply #466128 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Joey is indeed working the refs already. Game 2 was called very differently to the majority of other games in the season. Goulding was allowed continually to push off his defender with two hands to the chest without repercussions. The defence is constantly being told to not touch the offence but now the offence is allowed to push the d about without fear of a foul.

Reply #466130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He should be fined for those comments - no mention of the great ride he got from the refs in the first quarter?

Reply #466131 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When I watched back to see the plays prior to the infamous knee, I noticed Goulding pushing off quite a lot. What are the rules with regard to pushing off? He was pushing off Ervin's chest consistently with one hand/arm to get open for the ball.

Reply #466133 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

@situation

I'm guessing Joey has highlighted Morrison as he believes the refs clamping down on his physical play is more likely to give to sixers an advantage. Rather than Goulding's headbutts which make him look like a Rooster and maybe annoy the odd overemotional opposition player, but don't achieve much else.

Reply #466142 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Yep, fair call Phil.

Reply #466146 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

You have to wonder about Wright's comments; what is he teaching his players? It's okay to do anything you like so long as you have received some nebulous level of "provocation"? Guess he would be preaching what he practices.

Reply #466147 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I would not read much into his comments, they are made strictly to try and gain something with the officials.

Reply #466149 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nathan, no doubt his players listen to him at training and during games rather than read his media comments.

Have the Tigers learnt from Chris Anstey elbowing Rhys Carter in the head?

Reply #466150 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

They learned to me more subtle with the elbows :D

Reply #466152 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0oT4Oc6ShU

Reply #466166 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Unfortunately that was a different NBL era (pre-BA?) where McPeake had a strangehold on the league and did whatever he pleased. He got away with it too!

Reply #466168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think that Anstey/Carter incident was anywhere near as bad as Ervin's actions. Carter seemed to hit the deck pretty easily - cue flopping calls.

I think the difference also is that there was a bit of bumping from both sides before the incident. Ervin kneed Goulding when the ball wasn't in play.

Reply #466181 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Isaac, Goulding pushes off all the time on offense. Ennis is another proponent of it. Shouldn't be allowed.

Reply #466201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone have video footage of it????

Reply #466202 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

There is a lot at stake tonight and the 36ers go into this grand final position decider undermanned due to an inbalance to the penalties called by the NBL. Ervin being disqualified is not the problem, Goulding being allowed to play is. With all that Joey has said in the media regarding this incident, it can never be enough to emphasize to the refs tonight the importance of taking a close look at all times at the Tigers' physicality. Headbutts and out of control elbows have to be checked and there has to be consequences for those.

Reply #466270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC - What is it you claim that Goulding has done. Where is the proof about these headbutts?

Reply #466273 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

EC sulking about Ervin being out while "Goulding gets to play" is ridiculous. If Ervin and the sixers can cop it and move on you should follow their example.
Repeating anons question above do you have an instance of a Goulding headbutt occurring during Sundays game.

Reply #466277 | Report this post

Poker  
Years ago

^^^ +1

Use both eyes to objectively watch each play.

Reply #466278 | Report this post

Wabbit  
Years ago

ash0 posted this on his twitter earlier

http://goo.gl/Dz3ac4

Reply #466279 | Report this post

Poker  
Years ago

lol, you reckon that's proof of headbutting?

Reply #466284 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Seriously that is the head butt? You are joking right?

Wow, I expected the full on routine where he ducks his head in then throws it back dramatically. That was barely anything at all.

I agree with the push off comments about Goulding and Ennis. I complain about it every game (re:Ennis) and the same in games we played Melbourne.

Reply #466286 | Report this post

Wabbit  
Years ago

I dont think it is proof, I think it probably shows what annoyed Ervin though

Reply #466288 | Report this post

The video clearly shows Goulding ramming his head into Ervin's head. Are you guys trying to say that was fine? If you are, then all players are allowed to do that.

Any player that has another person's head rammed into theirs on purpose is going to react to it. Obviously he could have handled it in a better way but the NBL should have taken being provoked like that into consideration. Yet the NBL would rather make Ervin look like the evil one while Goulding is the Innocent princess of the league and will have no mention of such wild allegations.

Reply #466289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ennis, Goulding, Madgen untouchable. Common theme....... Shooters !!! Advertising and marketing decision....... No respect from a lot of fans though, some not impressed by just shooting, some respect playing by the rules, no push offs, elbows, no travels, no moving screens, no exagerations, no head butts, etc, etc , etc.

Reply #466290 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Ramming.....ok then.

Reply #466292 | Report this post

Poker  
Years ago

LOL!

Reply #466294 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

agree with 'the situation'

Reply #466296 | Report this post

Only an idiot  
Years ago

Agree with 'new headbutt rules'

Reply #466297 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Only an Idiot would agree with 'new headbutt rules' LOL.

Reply #466298 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Steven, I am well and truly over it. Goulding was as good as disqualified tonight by the Adelaide fans for the quality of his game. 6 points after a huge 37 in game 2. Karma has done its job tonight.

Reply #466460 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

That's good EC. Tonight was a good game we agree it was good to see Goulding get his butt kicked ( instead of balls kneed). One player I can't stand is wortho so didn't mind him having a shocker.

Reply #466465 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Steven, Channel 9 footage showed the headbutting. As for your comment that Ervin and the sixers can cop it and move on, all I can say is he made the mistake with his knee in game 2 which cost him dearly but luckily the team came fighting back even stronger. His reaction is influenced by the need to protect the grand final not the satisfaction that justice prevailed.

Reply #466466 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:52 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754