Happy Days
Years ago

Anstey as a coach:Success or failure?

I watched tonights game and the tigers all season and i cant see Anstey taking them to a title.He lacks prescence,his message is delivered the same every time and when things aren't going well he doesn't seem to have a plan B or be able to think outside the square.

Topic #34106 | Report this topic

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

A sophmore coach, but the man took them to the semi finals this year in a tough pool.

I'm be proud of what Chris has acheived this year (as well as last), and if I was a betting man I would put my money on him being back next year.

Reply #466470 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

**I'm *-be

Reply #466471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Mr Anstey

Reply #466473 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Having this thread fresh off Melbourne's worst loss of the year it would be easy to say his tenure has been a failure. On reflection I don't think he did too bad overall. With the talent on tigers roster they're a top 4 team but all teams had slumps during the year.
Imo Aaron Fearne was disappointing.

Reply #466477 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

The measure of a really good coach can be attributed to his willingness to adapt. I'm not sure Anstey has the ability to think on his feet, and come up with that game winning solution on the spot.

I'm not sure if its a stubbornness to keep with the original game plan, or a lack of nous to throw out the play book and be imaginative.

Reply #466486 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

http://www.nbl.com.au/article/id/16p7tff3pqn0417e99eauw1hkz

This is more gold from your clever coach Melbourne!

Reply #466490 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think he deserves another season and if he can get Dennis and keep Goulding then I think they could be anything (I tipped them to be beaten in the semis by Cairns) so they finished no worse than I expected.

Next season will be hugely telling and if they can't get their shot together come start of 2015 then they should be looking around or giving it to D-Mac but I think he deserves to see out his contract at this stage.

Reply #466497 | Report this post

Nike Al  
Years ago

Over rated coach he has an awesome players but game plan is shit on defensive game plan

Reply #466501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought he played Tomlinson far too much this year but other than that he's done ok to get that team into the four in a competitive leagur

Reply #466504 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Anstey far from finished IMO. However, is it his coaching style that is not suiting Wortho?
It sure is suiting Goulding.

Reply #466506 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

His team is a one trick pony, and Goulding was woeful as goes the Tigers. If their import had stayed healthy and actually played, who knows. I for one must admit i loved how much he looked to be struggling last night, that is a very lonley end of the Arena when our building is rocking. Hope he is back, villains are great for the league, love to hate these guys, even Heal to a degree.

Reply #466511 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Wortho needs to retire and Tomlinson is not good enough as a starter in this league.
Anstey.....overall a reasonable season but will need to show he is learning or next season will be his last.

Reply #466514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I completely agree with Chris' comments Achtung - I think the treatment of Goulding especially early on was very poor. Ervin came out and said he made a mistake - if you're going to boo anyonem, boo him.

I also think that Adelaide are a better team without Ervin. As for all of Adelaide's complaints about the refereeing, they got a dream run last night. That first half in particular was the worst I have seen in a long time and it was so one sided in Adelaide's favour. If Joey/Ervin were so upset about Melbourne's physicality in earlier games wait until they play Perth!

Reply #466533 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Adelaide have players who make moves inside and can draw fouls. Perth could just as well face foul trouble.

Goulding's flop bought him all the boos from that point on. Adelaide fans used to ride Barlow for no reason other than it put him off his game and that noise threw Goulding off too.

Reply #466538 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Dellusional to think a player who flops and then instigates the issue by flopping again wont be booed! If you cant see why the fans in a massive semi, would react in such a way, you just dont get. Ervin stuffed up with the attempted action, and should be booed by Tigers fans in the future games if their fan base gives a damn. BUt Goulding had it coming to him, and his flop help ignite the 6ers, well played champ. Also on another note he is a much better shooter than passer based on lastnight.

Reply #466548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide fans were disgusting last night.
Came across on TV as complete and utter imbeciles and IMO made the NBL in general appear a very lame competition (similar to a high school comp). Channel 10 would have been best turning off the crowd noises. As a neutral supporter it was a disgrace and only did harm to the league.

Reply #466552 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

He did OK, really has to learn how to use Morrison though.

There appears to be 12 plays designed to free up Goulding but 0 to get a half decent post entry.

Odd as Chris was a C you would think he would understand inside points means outside points.

Reply #466554 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Chris was a centre who spent most of his time outside the 3 point arc so it's not surprising that he has no idea how to setup post plays as a coach.

Overall though I think he's done an OK job as coach (especially when compared with Heal).

Reply #466557 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

Doubtful Maxymoo, remember Anstey spent large amounts of his career pegging 3's from the top of the key.

Reply #466558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tough when you have only been coaching 3yrs... Not sure anyone with as little coaching experience could have done much better.

From the outside looking in, it seems like a tough group to coach with the ego's involved and he did get them playing together, so that must be a tick.

People are going to criticise the game plan of every losing coach, it's often "arm chair experts" and way off the mark. I'm sure 10 different coaches would have managed the team 10 different ways.

Success or Failure? Surely making it this far is a success.

Reply #466565 | Report this post

DL  
Years ago

Can't believe you think that the crowd getting into Goulding is a bad thing?! How is having passion involved in Australian basketball a bad thing?

Look at the great venues around the world (especially in the College game) - the crowds are one of the best parts! They love their team and will do anything to put the opposition off.

Take the Cameron Crazies @ Duke - they'd be one of the best at it.

The "Ooooohhhhh SEE YA!" when players foul out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y8eNplLv2U

"You let the whole team down!" is another ripper - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG3StHjIjCg (0:45 on)

Utah State's "Winning Team / Losing Team" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpT_FC44q0w

I will say that at this stage, Australian crowds haven't been as creative, but this level of involvement in the game is unreal!

6ers fans need to get something pumping for their home game in the GF series!

Reply #466568 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Fair enough - explains the lack of inside ball

Reply #466570 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Your right DL passion is great, and credit to the Adelaide fans for being passionate, but there are other ways of displaying passion then booing a talented player the whole game, cheer clap, stand, even boo Goulding when he first enters the game each quarter for example,but booing a player the whole game for perhaps flopping, when it really was Ervin action or the NBL judiciary decision for why Ervin wasn't playing, tipped it over the edge to bit a bit much from a crowd, as in not proportionate.

Reply #466572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd take heal over anstey

Reply #466573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a pathetic comment - Heal had more talent at his disposal than Anstey and he couldn't make the playoffs.

Reply #466575 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

when it comes to PR and promotion of the NBL away from the court, Heal was KING. Anstey struggles IMO.

Reply #466576 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Would you take Beverage over Anstey? I'm sure its a question the owners would be considering.You can keep Anstey for another year but would coach of Beverages capability be availible then?

Reply #466582 | Report this post

Ganymede 59  
Years ago

Tigers had a proven winner in Westover, pretty stupid when you look at their coaching hires:

Westover (2 championships, 4 finals) -> Gleeson (probably gonna get 1 this year) -> Anstey (NEVER coached)

pretty stupid moves if you asked me, what's next? hiring U18 State coach?

Reply #466597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't like him but to be fair to Anstey he just got the Tigers into the playoffs for the first time in 5 years and within one game of a GF performance.

Reply #466612 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Next year is gonna be a massive season and coaches will have to perform straight away with 4 extra teams coming in the season following; great coaches like Bevo and Goorj if available will be snapped up by other coaches.

I'm more interested to see if Fearne coaches out the season as he has to be the most under threat current coach in the NBL (Dennis has been exceptional this year and he will get more of HIS team next year with more players contracts up to his discretion)

Reply #466828 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:48 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754