Isaac
Years ago

Brendan Teys in the semi final series

Little used through his years in the NBL and even this season off the bench. Hit the starting line-up after Frye's exit to the surprise of many.

Yet he's been pretty effective. 9, 17 and 7 points in the three semis. Has attacked the bucket, shot when open, played his role.

I think he's done well.

Topic #34114 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might be a chance we lose him next season as surely he won't be rated 1 point again next season?

Assuming the points cap still exists next season of course.

Reply #466689 | Report this post

Carcus Mamby  
Years ago

If he had he's chance earlier in the season and played this way ROY for sure

Reply #466691 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Brendan Teys sucks.

Why? Because our expert Hoops panel have said so all season, particularly following the Frye-Carter roster change.

In all seriousness, I say good on him for proving his worth. He seems like a highly professional and talented player.

Reply #466694 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Breandan has come along in leaps and bounds since his starting 5 debut. You can see him growing with confidence every game.
Joey loves him and his teammates know how good he is. Great to see him get his opportunity. I love the fact that he plays to his limitations and doesn't try things that he not capable of.
You could almost say he's become somewhat of an x-factor.

Reply #466696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He reminds me a bit of Mark Nash and the role he played for the team in 2002, i also think he is doing well in the semis, and i was one who was against him starting over Creek or Carter, but he has done well enough to see why Joey went with him, even though i still think Creek and Carter are the better players, he has played his role well so good on him and its great to see him making the most of this opportunity.

Reply #466700 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Yep, agree he has done very well, and I think he is one of those players who makes teamwork more important than the individual talents. I can see why Joey puts him in front of Creek, who still has a lot to learn (if ever) about when to take the shot or pass, etc.

Reply #466702 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

A team is a collection of individuals who together are greater in strength when combined.

Teys has a role to play in the team and he has done it well. Pressuring the ball carrier, getting those hard rebounds, getting offensive rebounds, taking the knocks and putting pressure on in D.

He has made the most of his chances and he should be congratulated for it.

Reply #466703 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

@PlaymakerMo, before Frye left in 15 games Teys was averaging

1ppg @ 18% FG, 8% 3PT (15 games)

From those stats its hard to find an argument for Teys to start and play more consistent minutes. His defense was also pretty poor in those games.

After Frye

6.2ppg @ 64% FG, 33% 3PT (10 games)

Reply #466708 | Report this post

Years ago

i don't care who is on the court as long as they can play

Reply #466715 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Joey has made some pretty gutsy decisions that have shown to be the right ones. Most people were criticising the sacking of Frye and replacing him with Carter (including myself) but this looks to have been a pretty damn good move. Carter has added valuable outside shooting on offense while the team if anything seems to have improved defensively.

The addition of Teys to the starting lineup has also been another masterstroke that most people were also unhappy about and wanted Creek there instead. He has played the role perfectly and has provided some very useful offense.

Full marks to Joey for these very gutsy moves that have paid off and showed what the fans think isnt necessarily always right. Very happy he is the coach of the sixers and shows the gap between him and someone like Marty Clarke.

Reply #466724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KingJames you left off the minutes per game stat......

His fg% and ppg doesn't really mean anything if only playing a couple of junk minutes every few games.

Also we don't see him every day in practice like Joey does...

Kind of hard to knock any decision Joey makes at this point.

Reply #466726 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

You're right Anonymous we watched him come on and be lucky to hit the ring when he was shooting and then get subbed off as a result.

My point was people on this forum were fair enough to question him starting after showing us nothing even though it was limited minutes.

We are more then happy he has made the most of the opportunity.

Reply #466734 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

KingJames, Teys has been playing his role all season. Pre-Carter his role was minimal, hence his numbers. Post-Carter his role has expanded, and recently includes taking open shots which he is capable of hitting.

My point is: had you actually watched him play up until he made or missed a shot you could easily tell the kid could play. Clearly most hadn't, hence the need to point out arbitrary factors like him being a '1-point player', the '10th man' and non-exhaustive statistics like low scoring numbers.

Many posters were equally sceptical regarding Carter without anything to back it up. Funny how that has turned out, too.

Reply #466752 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

Working hard, proving his worth and earning more time on the court Teys is doing his thing. It's developing players like him that has help his team into a grand final position.

Reply #466753 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

"I love the fact that he plays to his limitations and doesn't try things that he not capable of."

I think that is the most important comment in the thread. He does this perfectly which continues to get him under rated and under defended.

Frye for Carter I thought our season was all said and done but Joey has not only made it work but made the team better. I guess that's why I will never be an NBL coach, no way would I have made that move based on games.

It will be interesting to see his future as his skill level still isn't high enough but put him in the right team mix and he has shown he will perform. Either way its great to watch him growing with confidence and really start to contribute and show those who said he shouldn't be getting the minutes (me included) wrong.

Reply #466755 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Teys has been good as a starter. The first few minutes of a game is unpredictable and he acts as an insurance policy for the team. If he picks up a couple of cheap early fouls, big deal. Joey knows what the refs will and won't call and then WHAM! out comes a big whack from the bench

Reply #466758 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Teys has been great since starting, particularly in these Semis, and Carter in for Frye has been enormous. Adelaide look in form, they look like a more potent shooting team, much more fluent and much better defensively.

Reply #466764 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

When Brendan Teys first started playing for the 36ers, he kinda reminded me (sadly) of Scott Christopherson. Getting spot minutes and rarely doing much, if anything, with them.

Since his elevation to the starting 5 in place of Jarrid Frye and in front of Mitch Creek, he has shown that he is no Scott Christpherson. He's better than that. His confidence his risen 10-fold and lately he's been one of our key players.

Who would have thought that he would embrace a role as a SF and would be running with it?

Win, lose or draw the GF series against Perth, 2013-14 has definitely been Teys' breakout season. Well done to the kid.

Reply #466770 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Most important thing - always in the right place at the right time. Smart player. Teys is less talented, less athletic and less naturally gifted. But Creek could learn a lot from him.

Reply #466781 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

C'mon everyone we are talking about a young man of whom during his time with Townsville was in Boomers camp!

We all know the kid could play and I was frustrated for him that he wasn't getting enough opportunity but he has been outstanding in his SF position.

I wondered what it meant for him with Carter coming in and I'm glad his flourishing as he deserves a job in the NBL and should have one next season as well

Reply #466833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It also makes an Adelaide team that's already deep even deeper. (Putting essentially your 10th man into the starting 5).

Reply #466858 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would prefer an SA kid in that tenth man role, but Teys recently has looked very useful and as assured or more than Daly.

Reply #466865 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Most likely Creek much better with Frye here than without Frye here and in the same sorta minutes.

Reply #467010 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Glad that Melbourne found out the kid can play for us; I'd have hated to be the ones to uncover that surprise.

Reply #467069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expecting to see him make a huge splash in SEABL this year with Brisbane. Teys, Massingale and Kenny form a very potent perimeter attack!

Reply #467083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey one of the only coaches in the league who gives young DPs a real chance not just towel waving opportunities.

Reply #467560 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:47 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754