Anonymous
Years ago

Rotnei Clarke named NBL MVP

What an embarrassment. His team had a losing record for the season. Need to change the way the mvp is awarded.

Topic #34122 | Report this topic

The Situation  
Years ago

Thanks Daniel Eade.

Reply #466772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree....nothing wrong with Rotnei winning it.

You're a Perth fan I am guessing?

Reply #466773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ennis and Beal whinging on twitter about the winner.

Grow up knobs.

Reply #466776 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Actually I think the MVP is not a great representative of the best player in a league like the NBL, unlike the NBA and American sport in general.

Reply #466779 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I don't see the big deal he wasn't my pick but he's a deserving winner . His team still made playoffs, would have won the spoon if it wasn't for him.

Reply #466784 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

There are plenty of non-Perth people complaining too.

Reply #466785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't see it coming. I'm surprised about Gordie as well to be honest. Fair enough they made the playoffs but strange to have a COY with a losing record IMO.

Reply #466787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done Rotnei!

He was in most fans top 3 when predicting mvp over the past few days so not a major shock, and many predicted it from the day he signed with his college pedigree.

He is a quality player and a deserving winner.

I think Ennis is the best player and a better player than Rotnei, (im a 36ers fan, so neutral between these 2) but like the brownlow with the voting system if you are on a deep team it can be harder to win, but am still happy with Clarke winning it!

Reply #466796 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

People need to remember what MVP stands for. It doesn't stand for best player, it stands for Most Valuable Player and although Ennis was valueable to Perth, Roteni was more important to the Hawks.

Reply #466797 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

OP, his team made the finals, with what is universally regarded an under talented and inexpensive team.

Reply #466800 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Drinks are on you Isaac, better make mine a double!

Reply #466802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, I mean, he had a great season but really?
He was top 3 for sure but I hate it how team record doesn't matter in the NBL...
That being said, I guess he took a team that wasn't particularly that talented to the playoffs. So maybe they gave it to the right person.
Okay, I'm just confusing myself right now.
Regardless, its well deserved.

Reply #466805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much would ennis beat clarke in one on one. Enough said

Reply #466808 | Report this post

DavidB97  
Years ago

Agree with NBL Fan. It's the Most Valuable Player. Take Ennis off the Wildcats, and they'll still finish top four, and probably challenge for the title. Take Clarke from the Hawks, and they finish last. Without him they are nothing, with him they are a playoff team.

Reply #466810 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Anonymous logic hahaha

Reply #466811 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Hah! I called this before Clarke had even signed with the Hawks, but even still he was much better than I expected for his first NBL season. I would've gone with Goulding for MVP, but Clarke is a deserving winner for sure.

Perth fans should blame Damian Martin for stealing MVP votes from Ennis - not that Ennis deserved the award more than Damo.

Reply #466814 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

There's still one more MVP up for grabs Ennis,Damo,Gibson,DJ and Ervin all contenders

Reply #466816 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Perth fans should blame Damian Martin for stealing MVP votes from Ennis"
And Beal, and Redhage, and Wagstaff, and Jervis...Ennis was never going to win.

It's Most Valuable Player, not Most Best Player. Rotnei Clarke provided a greater percentage of his team's wins while costing far less under the salary cap, so he wins under two different definitions of 'value'.

Reply #466820 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

The last Wollongong player to win the MVP was none other than Gary Ervin and that year I don't think they made the playoffs?.

Reply #466823 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

I dont think anyone could complain with either clarke, goulding or ennis winning the award. All are deserved. Ennis is the best player in the league but Goulding and clarke have the advantage with the awards criteria because there are no other superstars in their team. I was expecting goulding to get it but happy that clarke won. Congrats Rotnei!

I still think the MVP should be for best player and maybe if ennis didnt drink too much eggnog over christmas he still could have won it even with the talent around him

Reply #466824 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Deserving winner.

Reply #466827 | Report this post

wildcat  
Years ago

No issue with him getting it, the way the voting system works Ennis was never going to win with all the good players around him, i don't think the system needs changing either, i'd rather the coaches vote rather than umpires or media personality's.

Clarke was super valuable to the Hawks and that was shown by the efforts the Wildcats put into stopping him in the finals. It was shown you stop Clarke you beat the Hawks, that shows how valuable he was in the league IMO. Hopefully Ennis gets a different reward in the next week.

Reply #466832 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Deserving winner.

When was the last time we had 3 legit MVP players fighting for MVP? There was also Daniel Johnson who had a career year. Gary Ervin played at a MVP level for half of the season and so did Ogilvy until Sanders was sent packing.

Reply #466840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone complaining about MVP... BLAH! Jordan didn't win it every year he was in the NBA. BLAH! BLAH!

Rotnei Clarke was the MOST VALUABLE PLAYER! Live with it. It's not like some guy from the Hunter Pirates won it.

Reply #466841 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti:

But before James Ennis or Chris Goulding fans get their shorts all bunched up, bear in mind votes were cast after every game and Rotnei did not lose a lot of votes to guys named Beal, Martin or Redhage, or to Worthington, Walker, Ballinger who all polled.

Clarke had a great year and thoroughly deserved his success.

Reply #466862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #466938 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Deserving winner, nothing but praise for the Rot. No one else had me as worried as he did about the need to shut a player down all year! Even Goulding.

Reply #466939 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Rotnei has been awesome this year for the Gong!!
First year as a a pro, He has done well. Good luck I say!

Reply #466947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36er fans should bring baby dummies to the Friday the 11th game and offer them to that sook Ennis. Although Ervin might get confused and think they are meant for him.

Reply #466948 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

If that is true that Ennis through his All Star 5 Trophy in to the water in protest of not winning the NBL MVP it really highlights how immature Ennis really is as a person. I'm sure his actions will allow plenty of ammunition to 36er fans when the Wildcats roll in to Adelaide for Game 2. For what it's worth I'm very happy with Rotnei winning the MVP Award I really enjoyed watching him play this year for the Hawks.

Question: Has there ever been a player in the history of NBL with a quicker shooting release on his shot that Rotnei???

Reply #466955 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Samcro: Thats pretty much a fan rumor that was started. Its not true in the slightest.

Im sure when all is said and done though that Rotnei would in a second trade his MVP for a Grand final berth ( as would most players who win awards.)

Ennis was always going to poll badly considering the other members of the Wildcats. Im not saying Wollongong dosnt have talent, but Rotnei easily stands above the rest there in terms of his talent.

Reply #466958 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Matthew, you sure? Boti has said he's got a story going up about it shortly.

Reply #466961 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Certainly gaining momentum!!

Reply #466972 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #466993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rotnei Clarke's wikipedia thread makes for interesting reading of his basketball story.

Will he play another season in the NBL?

Reply #467025 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

I don't like the Hawks and I definitely have no respect for Rotnei's beliefs. (It annoys me no end how he praises God in interviews) However I loved the way he played and think he deserved the MVP. He made a mediocre team competitive and made the league better. He keeps working hard at his game and I just hope we can keep him in the NBL next year.

Reply #467109 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Congrats Rotnei,

I would've though Goulding or Ennis, but Rotnei had a great season as well. Obviously the voting committing isn't as impressed with a player dropping 50 points as I am.

Reply #467158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well deserved winner. Congratulations Rotnei, praise the lord.

Reply #467558 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:17 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754