Isaac
Years ago

Gordie McLeod named NBL Coach of the Year

On a big night for the Hawks, their veteran mentor Gordie McLeod won the Lindsay Gaze Trophy for Coach of the Year.

It was the second time McLeod has won the award after taking it out in 2010. The circumstances were far different this time though as McLeod took his team from 6-13 and last on the ladder to finish 13-15 while securing a playoff position.

Topic #34124 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a big Gordie fan, amazed at his ability to perform with a low budget and seemingly get the most out of his team year after year, but Joey Wright deserved this award and, for the record, I'm not from Adelaide.

Reply #466860 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Two good candidates IMO. Could've gone either way and for different reasons.

Gordie again did well with a team predicted to get the spoon. Joey turned a team around and pushed an exciting style.

Still a chance for Ennis and Wright to get redemption in the grand final series...

Reply #466864 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Joey not quite robbed, but would have been a worthy winner if it went his way. Worked hard to turn around a team that had the skill and was floundering to a grand finalist position.

Reply #466871 | Report this post

Perth fan  
Years ago

As much as I have a lot of respect for Geordie, I still believe Joey Wright deserved this award.
Yes he had a better squad than Geordie but he has taken a team from
Wooden spoon to grand final. Yes, practically the same group from last year minus Ervin.
Bad luck Joey.

Reply #466873 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

^ Sums up my thoughts nicely.

Reply #466876 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Preseason expectations shouldn't mean anything.

The award probably went to the wrong guy when you consider Adelaide climbed six places and Wollongong to drop one from last season.

Reply #466885 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Shouldn't be as much a factor as they seemingly are*

Reply #466886 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Joey would have been a good choice so happy either way Gordie knows how to get the most out of his team.

Reply #466902 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

How does a club's performance from one year to the next affect COTY? Does Joey deserve the award because the previous coach did a crap job?

Reply #466908 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

D4444, I never looked at it from your point of view and thought Wright was the most worthy winner. However what you say makes sense. Wright is good, but Clarke makes him look a hell of a lot better.

Reply #467197 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

D4444, I think it can help, but I think it is all about getting the most out of the players, developing their skills and strategy.

Reply #467201 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:33 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754