Tom
Years ago

Hoops Decide - Ervin or Fresh Face.

Hey guys I'm gonna start a weekly thread asking Hoops posters on their opinion of an NBL hot topic. This week I want to know, do you 36ers fans want to keep Gary Ervin or go for a fresh face. Gary was on fire to start the season but he faded a little at halfway point due to an injury but he seemed to full form befor the Goulding incident.. Personally , I would like to see Adelaide keep him on a 2 year deal next to a athletic import SF. Tell me if you like the idea of this weekly thing as well.

Topic #34150 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep Ervin imo, the only exception being if we can get Cedric Jackson,

Reply #467432 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

Like it or not Ervin is here to stay.

His post on Twitter says it all.
bit.ly/1sfVT0P

I think it's a good thing, he'll work harder next year regardless of the out come of this years finals.

Every man needs a redemption era in their career, I think we'll see classic Ervin in the years to come.

Reply #467433 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yeah I keep him, more good than bad and a known commodity, which might be useful if we have some turnover. Plus how long since we had had an import last more than one season.

Reply #467435 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Definitely keep him

Reply #467442 | Report this post

Max Power  
Years ago

Id replace him, rather a pass first PG and a better 3pt shooter. Love to get Rotnei Clarke but do not see him returning after this season.

I feel like Ervin is similar to Gilchrist a few years back but far more expensive. I really liked Gilchrist, am still shocked no other NBL has given him a call.

Reply #467446 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Depends what kind of player we could get to replace him?... Is the Marquee player rule such that you could have 3 imports? Either way... I would keep him provided we don't have some beast lined up..

Reply #467449 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Max, Gilchrist never really made it back from his injury, struggling in some lower leagues and failing to hold a job.

Reply #467450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Max Power....you say you would prefer a pass first PG but then suggest Rotnei, ummmm....???

Ervin isn't expensive this season...took a pay cut to play for Adelaide.

I'd be inclined to keep him. Known commodity who works well with Gibbo and the rest of the team.

Reply #467452 | Report this post

B0b  
Years ago

@Tom
http://strawpoll.me/1433771

Reply #467456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #467457 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Keep

Creek-gone
Cadee-gone

Sign a marquee SF to replace these two, and look into Khazzouh if DJ gets a European gig.

Reply #467461 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Decide after the GF series. He would have been sacked if Tigers got through & should be sacked if he stinks it up against Perth. Next week is crucial...

Reply #467476 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

@Max Power you do realise Ervin finished second in the league for assist per game? He shot the 3 at 37% which is a decent effort.

Reply #467477 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Khazzouh is on a huge 5 year deal in Israel, so I'm not sure of he would want to come home. Hopefully we get 3 imports next year so we can have.

Dunigan* / Schenscer
Petrie / Anthony
McDaniels* / Creek
Gibson / Teys
Ervin* / Carter

KJ McDaniels is a college star and he is an athletic freak. YouTube him.

Reply #467486 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

This is a tough one.

Ervin has been great this year. Looking back to early in the season, he was huge in getting us the win in 5-6 games down the stretch - these games last year we likely would have lost. This got us off to a great start (8-2) and the team continued to ride that confidence throughout the season.

However, he is 31 this year and with his game likey to slow down in the next few seasons, is it worth looking to the future?

It is just so important to invest in young Australian talent and for that reason, I would probably say to let Ervin go after this season and give Cadee the starting job. Cadee has been very good this year with Ervin out and he has a large upside, it would be very disappointig to see him leave the sixers in terms of the future. Ervin's import spot could be used to bring in a stud SF which still gives a high quality rotation from the PG to SF spot. Our rotation through the PF and C spots is already the best in the league and if DJ goes overseas, he can also be replaced with an import.

It would be a gutsy move to let Ervin go and promote Cadee though and it seems unlikely this will happen with Cadee probably moving on. As others said, a lot depends what happens in this GF series as it will be the biggest stage these players have experienced throughout their time in thr NBL.

The other argument is that the 36ers have done very well recruiting in the last few years and with Joey as coach, that will likely continue to be an area the club does well. This may mean losing a player like Cadee isnt that big of a loss as we are likely to be able to recruit similarily talented youngsters in the next few seasons.

Reply #467489 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The grass is always greener on the other side. Ervin is a special player.

Reply #467490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KJ McDaniels has another year of college and regardless is going to the NBA.

If this is the case I would say Andrew Wiggins to Sydney and Jabari Parker to Townsville.

Reply #467492 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

would keep. as mentioned elsewhere known commodity. i think gibbo/ervin/cadee/carter as the guards next year and try to convince cadee we have a chance to play another grand final next year. based on cadees rate of improvement i would think the year after would be the year for him to step up to a starting role

Reply #467495 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

.good to have ervin here and good to have a team..owners were just one bad season away from not going on with it..story on abctvnews,last nite...

Reply #467498 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

KJ McDaniels is a senior, so it is his last year and most mocks have him going late 2nd round to undrafted.

Reply #467499 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'd like to see us retain all the of the team possible.

C Import[Marquee]/Schenscher
F Petrie/Anthony
F Teys/Creek
G Gibson/Carter
G Ervin/Cadee

Reply #467520 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

Love Teys as a role player but not as a starter.

Reply #467526 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

I wanna see the Perth Series before I pass any judgments.

Reply #467549 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Ervin is the best import we've had in a very long time. Only reason I can see us not wanting to keep him is if he goes and knees someone in the balls and gets suspended... Oh wait.
Seriously though, Frye, Massingale, Christopherson, Warren, Simpson, Winder, Shannon, Howard, DeVries, Gilchrist, Groves. Not one of these players, with the possible exception of Simpson/Gilchrist, is even remotely at the level of Ervin. You'd have to go back to Ballinger/Hodge since we've had a legit import.
Good import... Contenders. Bad imports... Wooden spoon or there abouts.

Reply #467561 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

I would exchange Ervin for a Gilchrist in a flash. Keep Carter Gibbo and Cadee. Ervin goes erratically
from game winner to loser.

Ideally keep the entire team except Ervin.

Reply #468148 | Report this post

ryan  
Years ago

Ervin is the Best import we have had in a long time. He works hard on defence and always looks like he wants to be out there. We have had some real duds lately. He wants to move the ball more than a lot of imports getting the rest of the boys involved.

KEEP

Reply #468172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its amazing what $$$ can Buy!Grand Final Baby!!

Reply #468190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO, joey need to either release Gary Ervin or reduced the 5 guard(Gibbo,Treys,Cadee,Ervin,Carter)rotation to 3 and add a quality 3 man import who can score, defend and rebound.

Too many guards and not enough balls. Gary need the ball regularly to have an impact.

Reply #470171 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:13 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754