Lucas000
Years ago

3 years of top 5 NBA draft picks for Australia

The next 3 years are likely to see top 5 picks (Dante may be 5-7th pick) for the following Aussies:

2014 Draft - Dante Exum
2015 Draft - Ben Simmons
2016 Draft - Thon Maker

By 2016 Olympics Boomers could have a young and exciting lineup:

Patty Mills
Dante Exum
Matthew Dellavedova
Aaron Baynes
Thon Maker
Andrew Bogut

Throw in some depth with Jingles, Bairstow and although many may not agree- possibly Goulding.

That's a damn good looking lineup to me...

Topic #34163 | Report this topic

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

That's an exciting stacked team.. Takes me back to the Boomers mid-90s teams.

Reply #467716 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I can see Simmons and Maker going in 2016 and 2017 drafts respectively as they will most likely do 1 yr in college. Definitely exciting times ahead for Australian basketball.

Reply #467718 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

I hope Maker decides to play for aus!

Reply #467720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope they play for Australia regularly and not opt out like Bogut.

Reply #467755 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

^anon, I truly hope they can stay healthy and not suffer the debilitating illness and injury Bogut has had to endure in his career...

Reply #467777 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"That's an exciting stacked team.. Takes me back to the Boomers mid-90s teams."

I think they're quite different. Our mid 90s teams had very little depth but they guys we had played with great discipline getting open shots for Gaze and Heal.

Recently we've had excellent depth but no superstar like Gaze. Hopefully the era that's approaching can have the best of both worlds.

Reply #467782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best thing is the mix i think. We had good guards but no real big men, then we had big men and fewer guards. Now it looks like we will have a solid mix of both.

Reply #467798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If this young core can max out the potenial that many think they have, I think we could have a chance at a medal at World Championships or Olympics very soon. We finally will have legit size all over the court to compete with the best european teams, and possibly even have atleast SOME elite athleticism (Simmons, Exum, Maker) to compete with USA.

Reply #467825 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I also like that there are unselfish players like Delly, Bogut, and Simmons who appear to be winners, contributing whatever helps their team win. We have a flat-out scorer in Mills (and I'd include Goulding too as another creative flat-out shooter), hard-working types such as Baynes, and Exum is a bit of an x-factor. Not sure what kind of player Maker is. That's a nice mix so far.

I'd like to see us have more elite shooters, though. Exum, Delly and Ingles are still inconsistent shooters, Simmons's jumpshot is still developing, and we need to rely on a new generation of shooting bigs, all of whom have glaring weaknesses at international level (although how good is Maker's outside shot?).

Reply #467841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My understanding is that if Bogut didn't suffer an almost career ending injury that we would have seen him in the green and gold more frequently.

Reply #467843 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Watch out for Deng Adel - he is definetly one not to forget.

Reply #467852 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Jonah Bolden and Isaac Humphries are two promising bigs for the future

Reply #467853 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Simmons mentioned Thon Maker in an article about the next MVP not named KD or LeBron

"But to answer James's question, the Brow is definitely the first pick. I’d also throw Blake Griffin, Steph Curry and Thon Maker in there. Thon Maker? Thon Maker".

Reply #467872 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Unfortunately it will not quite be over the next three years, rather it will be four. Simmons still has one more year of high school basketball, then assuming he's a 'one-and-done' guy, he will be eligible for the 2016 NBA draft. If Maker follows the same path he will be in the 2017 draft.

Reply #467907 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

rjd - I have been the biggest critic of the Boomers shooting over recent years, but I think both Mills and Dellavedova have improved out of sight. So long as we run good offensive sets, both can hit consistently now from three on spot ups, and Mills has also become super effective with both his three-point and mid-range pull-up.

Reply #467910 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

Thon Maker's future with Boomers will depend on his legal guardian Edward Smith. Olympic and World Basketball tourneys are the biggest stages of all for players development and exposure.

Reply #467914 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I like how the talent isn't all stacked in 1 or 2 spots, you guys have mad talented versatile players coming through in pretty much every position.
getting them all on the court together always presents the problem.

Reply #467917 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Vart, agree with massive improvements from Mills, who now is automatic, and Delly. I still think Delly is yet to prove himself as a consistent shooter. He started off the season shooting well (in the 40% range), then dropped off massively (sub 15% in Feb), but then went for above 50% from 3-point range in March. Hopefully he will continue to improve, or we will just have to hope that one of his good shooting periods coincides with the tournaments.

Perimeter shooting from other positions is still questionable.

Reply #467923 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

We need a referendum to make NZ the 7th state of Australia! Then we can add that gun shooter we're missing in Penney and get some awesome depth off our bench with one or two of Vukona, Pledger, Adams, Abers and Te Rangi!

Reply #467931 | Report this post

The Rock  
Years ago

Pharlap then Penney
whats next? the All Blacks

Reply #467939 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Who names a bloke Thon? Disgaceful...

Reply #467952 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

not on the top 5 picks topic but on the exciting future boomers mentioned i think anatoly bose would be a big part of future boomer teams. i havent really followed his form since he went to europe but i think he will go on to be a very good player for us.

Reply #468362 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great depth coming through, We could be about to enter a golden era for Aussie hoops!

Drmic is a shooter coming through the ranks too :). He is a good chance of MWC PoTY honours next season.

Reply #468443 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:57 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754