Anonymous
Years ago

Australian under 18 Nationals 2014

The tournament starts in only a few days time, who are early contenders? Will Victoria and NSW dominate in both men's and women's, or is there a dark horse waiting in the wings? What will NZ bring this year, will they take their full National squads, if so they will be hard to beat?

All eyes should be firmly fixed on Belconnen in Canberra for the next couple of weeks as the NBL closes it's season and some of the best junior talent in Aus & NZ is showcased!

Topic #34165 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately BA don't seem to give at rats.

There should be player profiles, interviews etc leading up to this event.

Reply #467842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously mate just relax.

They have got a lot better over the last 2 years sure the social media coverage will be good again. All games from belconnen are live streamed.

The tournament does not start til thurs sure you will see some stuff then.

Reply #467859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All games are live streamed?

Are you sure?

Reply #467864 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I recall last year at 16 and 18 Nat's that once the kids (players) arrive, they select a few for interviews and most of the teams are shown on a highlights video.

If they go a similar direction this time, I am looking forward to it, can't do much until they arrive though...

Reply #467871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As far as I'm aware, the players to watch will be:

Kyle Clark
Isaac Humphries
Harry Froling
McDowell White brothers

Reply #467873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McDowell Whites have pulled out, won't be there.
Agree will be fun to watch Kyle and Isaac. There will be better options to watch than Harry though.

Reply #467880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harry led the Under 16's in a couple of categories (including scoring) you may be surprised

Reply #467883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know, but he is bottom age in this group and there are plenty of bigs in other state teams better than QLD that will be worth watching apply their craft.

The officiating is apparently going to be tight, that won't suit his game one bit.

Reply #467885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

News is that poor old Jock Perry from Vic Metro (7'1") is out with a fractured foot. Strong team that will cover him, but that is a loss.

Reply #467886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Live Stats, not Live Stream you would think.

Reply #467901 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Even with a weaker supporting cast Kyle Clark should star.

Canberra once again will once again show the nation how nationals should be covered by broadcasting games from the show court!!

When will BA make this a MUST for hosting Nationals!!!!

Or are they still on dial up?

Reply #467915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thing I love about 18 Nationals is the dunking, should see many more than in the 16's or 18's from last year if ref's are going to stop the grappling and holding.

Nothing worse than when junior talent is not given a chance to shine.

Reply #467919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AUS BBALL Prospects will have a U18's Nationals Tournament Preview going up tomorrow on the BA site. It'll be a good read in the lead-up to the tourney

Reply #467981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be a good tournament, am mates with a few of the WA country boys and I reckon they wil do alright. Won't challenge many teams but will be a solid line up

Reply #467991 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Thanks for that 'Rachel's mum' lol

Reply #468034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is always all about the boys, you will have the entire un17 national squad at these championships, all be it not in the same team, so expect some great basketball from the girls. Think it will probably be an all Vic final though, but then last year the Vic metro girls didn't even place.

Reply #468493 | Report this post

Proud Dad  
Years ago

Some great games so far this morning...

Jack White scored 38, and 13 rebounds for Vic C V NZ

Reply #468825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Belconnen court 4 score board not working and they need to use a horn as the siren!

Did they not realise the nationals was being played there? Trying to fix it before a 9.00am game, quite a disgrace really.

This stadium is very second rate, kids are falling because water is dripping onto the court, not a great look so far, maybe it will be better at the AIS?

Reply #468858 | Report this post

Proud Dad  
Years ago

Vic M 126 def NT 34

Ouch!

Reply #468862 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

I think we new that before the game started Proud Dad.....

Reply #468895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA metro boys just beat nsw metro very convincingly too!!!

Reply #468896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

22 points, 27 rebounds 7 blocks for Mackenzie Hoycard for WA Country girls? Wow, she must be tall?

Reply #468906 | Report this post

You can watch live streams from here: https://www.youtube.com/user/BasketballACT

ACT ftw

Reply #468931 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Huge result for S.A. Metro, that was perhaps not quite expected, did they play a great game or did NSW Metro struggle?

Looks like the guards did a good job of scoring and Isaac for NSW still got his 20pts but not enough support?

Big game in the morning between Vic Country and NSW Metro men takes on even more importance now...

Reply #468934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic Country men had a strong game against NSW metro to get over them i the last quarter.

Vic Country women are well in front of WA Country women, they also look like a strong team.

Vic metro men will have their first real test against Tasmania today and the Vic metro women v NSW metro women game has no scores, hard to judge how they are going when the web site isn't updated!

SA Metro men are a chance to do well after defeating NSW metro, playing WA country next will be interesting, if they win they are on track.

Still NZ men look strong, if they get over QLD south their game v SA metro will be a key one.

Reply #469037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SAM men undefeated, can they continue their run against VC and then NZ?

Reply #469477 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

One more day of pool games, looking forward to maybe seeing Vic metro tested for once, up against NSW Country tomorrow!

Reply #469767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SAM Men found it tough going against a strong Vic Country team. Need to bounce back against NZ to have any chance.

Reply #469776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SAM men will make quarter finals, first loss for them and if they can end up second they will play third from pool A, could even make semi finals.

First time at Nationals they have changed the finals format and have 3 games, not 2, so in with a chance.

Want to avoid Vic M and NSW Country though!

Reply #469811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly as I said. Need to beat NZ to have any chance, otherwise they get third and have a tough ask in the QF.

Reply #469824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Today's men's games at Belconnen were poles apart in the way they were officiated, talking about Vic C v SAM was reffed not too badly, at least they were calling contact but Vic m v QLD Nth OMG what were they looking at?

In that game players were hacking and riding ball carriers like Phar Lap, no calls just a game of rugby.

Can we get some consistency?

Reply #469828 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

We have you covered on PnR with full daily coverage of the U18 AJC!

Day 1 Recap

Day 2 Recap

Day 3 Recap

Day 4 Recap

Reply #469921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some huge games today, quarter finals day will see NSW Metro play their mates from the country, should be a cracker!

NZ are a dark horse, may test Vic Metro with their height and shooting, but Vic are so powerful.

Vic country may prove too strong for a Tassie side that lacks depth to cover Vic's weapons.

SA Metro and QLD Nth could go either way but neither team will give an inch!

Reply #470311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just as big are the womens games with Vic Country taking on a dangerous NZ team, but Vic have proven themselves so far.

NSW country could be too much for a plucky SAC!

Vic metro girls to be far too strong for QLD South.

The close one could come from this game, NSW metro v SA metro, can't split them.

Reply #470314 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #470535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great effort by SA girls today, they meet Vic Country and Vic metro in the semi finals, should be interesting to see which state can get to the gold medal play off.

No real surprises in the men, looking for a tight one between NSW country and Vic country but maybe SA metro have run their race coming up against Vic metro in the other semi?

Reply #470547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will the refs come out to play today? Will they actually call the games like they were directed or will they suffer inconsistent calling and allow too much grappling, holding and pushing?

Reply #470603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSW Country v VIC Country should be a cracker of a game in the Mens, can't split them

Reply #470604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done to NZ men last night, really pushed Vic metro in that quarter final, forced the coach to play his starters most of the game but in the end Vic were just too solid.

Reply #470607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woah, wow and wtf was that in the semi between NSW & Vic Country?

Talk about a game decided by the officials! Better not say what I feel about the way they over did it in that one, but a one point result will always have something contentious.

Great effort by VC to come back and almost snatch the win, if not for a slow start and some amazing decisions against them it would be a very different result!

Reply #470684 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If the Vic Country players had got the ball to Jack White in the last period then they would have won - can't believe how much they went away from him at the end! He has been the standout player of the tournament - he should have had the ball in his hands. Cost Victoria having 2 women and 2 men grand finalists.

Reply #470762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack still got his hands on the ball but agree they should have found him more in the last period, also should have passed it inside more all game too, clearly that was how they were going to win but the NSW boys applied pressure all game, never made it easy even if they have the flop down to a fine art.

Reply #470791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like a bunch of sore losers to me. NSW were far and away the better team last night and deserved their win. Funny how not one flop was called nor did VIC coach complain about it once. Better luck next year.

Reply #470793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha far and away is where your head is if you think that a one point win with refs on your side is a dominant performance, totally over officiated and the run of the green went against Vic when it mattered.

Reply #470795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha you mean the same referees that didn't call 3 seconds once all game against either of VIC's big men who camped themselves in the key?

Reply #470806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratulations to Vic Country men with a strong finish to take out the bronze v SA Metro who were in the hunt for about half the game. Well deserved, clearly one of the top three teams in this tournament.

Reply #470833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done to the Vic Country girls winning silver in a tough game against Vic Metro who end up with gold as do the Vic Metro boys with NSW Country taking silver, great games and a high standard.

Reply #470881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 great, closely fought gold medal games last night. Great showcases for the game in Australia.

Very talented VIC Metro were just too good for the NSW Country boys, who had a fantastic tournament to get that far with 6 bottom aged players. Look out for them next year.

Reply #470906 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

vic country men actually played better than NSW country from watching the game, that bucket that was disallowed right at the end calling a charge on the CV player should never have happened it was clearly NOT a charge at all. And a 1 point win does not make that team the dominant team, just makes them lucky.

Reply #470931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For 3/4 of that game NSW country was playing better as a team & a couple of VIC country better players was in foul trouble.To VIC country's credit they came out hard in 4th quarter and had all the momentum & probably should have won the game if they executed better at the end.The referees made the same consistent call all game.In my eye's I didn't really care who won as I was not close to any team,but to watch a quality game was a pleasure to watch . Unfortunately that call you are complaining about is the way sometimes the game goes.maybe next time you will get the call

Reply #470936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Could not agree more. Stop blaming referees because your child's team lost.

From a QLDer, VIC Country did not play better than NSW Country.

Reply #470938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nit wit...if they were that much better, one bad call by an umpire shouldn't have decided the much!

I can't stand sore losers

Reply #470940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that the same NSW oxymoron poster^ nit wit, you have nothing but childish responses and self contradictions.

NSW C won the game by a point, good for them they got to play off for gold and will be very tough next year with so many bottom age kids.

Vic C had a couple of rough decisions at the death, admitted to by the officials themselves the day after watching the video, bad luck for them as they were on a roll.

They were clearly the next best team after Vic M and NSW C as they proved against a galant SA M.

Move on, nit wit!

Reply #470942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sooooooooooore loooooooooser

Reply #470959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

calm down please your bitch fighting isn't helping anyone.

Reply #470962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have a comment about the stadium they used for this event. Also a question, why was the AIS (C of E) stadium left idle and the training stadium also not used when these two facilities were of a much higher standard and offered much better seating?

The Belconnen main court siren didn't work, lighting was poor, seating was less than average, the kiosk served utter rubbish all week and I for one think the level of competition deserved a much better facility!

Let us hope that the tender in Victoria next year goes to a more deserving association.

Reply #471034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#...940 posting this: Nit wit...if they were that much better, one bad call by an umpire shouldn't have decided the much!

Dear chap, I won't even bother amending your grammar as I am sure you have awoken from your slumber to a morning can of Lager and cigarette as you fumble your way to the back door where it is I am sure you will do the lemon tree a just deed.

Referees officiate basketball, umpires actually officiate the rugby, or as I am sure you call it, footy, but I digress.

In fact it is not so much the point of one decision being made that is the focus of discussion my dear fellow, it is that most of us who love basketball, or for that matter sport, wish to see players decide a close result, not the officials.

Please accept my post as a clarification of what you so obviously fail to grasp and enjoy your left over pie and pizza breakfast!

love and best wishes from Victorias.

Reply #471038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSW Country deserved to play in the gold medal game and made Vic metro work really hard for their win - please don't take that away from that bunch of NSW boys who played not only above their size and weight but also their age. 4 bottom agers and one of them is still a far way off turning 16 I believe. Vic metro deserved their win - pure class and just to note, I am a Victorian!

Reply #471039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously VIC Country parents on here can't handle the fact that they lost to a better team. Enjoy the Bronze medal :)

Reply #471084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If a medal is that important to you anon^ please don't choke on it! As a Vic parent I know that all the boys and girls in every team did their best and enjoyed the tournament, on and off the court.

Reply #471100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know where in Victoria next years 18 nationals are?

Reply #471103 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The tournament recap including All-Tournament teams have been posted on PnR now!

2014 U18 Australian Junior Championships: Tournament Recap

Reply #471110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah anyone got any idea where in Victoria that 18s Nationals might be next year? Is it likely to be Melbourne or somewhere else? Ta

Reply #471113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My guess would be the new Knox State centre, not sure if tenders are completed yet!

Reply #471134 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

it will be a smaller stadium than the State centre, that's way to expensive as it is for normal basketball teams use even, probably one that has just 3 or 4 crts that needs to raise revenue so Im guessing Frankston!!!

Reply #471143 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Just reading the all tournament teams , think the mens is OK but the womens, for starters Tupea should be replaced with Sharp, a far more all round player, Tuopea does very little on the crt when you actually watch her game, way too much uptalk creating a hype about her as a player through Karen Daltons obsession with her IMO, and think Hellesey should replace Bibby, though both are very good considering neither got a gig in the UN17 national side. NSW basketball need to up their game a little with their women not many you could say were outstanding in either team.

Reply #471145 | Report this post

Rex  
Years ago

Agree about Tupea, what she does is very good but she really does not do that much. Not sure if her body type is going to hold out in the long term and by the end of the week she looked pretty broken down.
The whole player of the day thing is a joke, just gives BA a chance to highlight the marquee players over and over again.

Reply #471390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be a shame if a 15/16 year old was allowed to feel good about herself for a minute wouldn't it!

Reply #471398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

from memory, in this age group qld south came about third, what the hell happened to there team? Does anyone know why the White boys pulled out? Or whereabout jeremy p, marty and junior went? I didnt even recognize the team and they ended up 11th!!!

Reply #471436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rex I too agree re tupea but think she's been plagued by injuries for a long time so yes her longevity is questionable no so much her body type, but think player of the day is and was a good thing because not only does it highlight the sport with the social media connections it also gives some players who may otherwise not often get recognition to do so, just as much as the usual ones do.

Reply #471439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tupea is an outstanding talent.

Plays well above her years.

Don't be jealous of her potential stardom.

RE: Qld South... has been talked about multiple times, yes in Tamworth U/16s they finished 2nd. The white boys withdrew due to a dispute over commitment to state team practice & a volleyball competition. Certainly a fall from grace.

There was definitely 3 teams far superior in the boys to everyone else... NSW C, Vic C & above all else Vic Metro (best team talent-wise by a country mile)

Reply #471440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tupea plays with players well above her years not ability wise. Bit too much hype over her as a player think there are far more athletic guards in that 97/96 age bracket.

Reply #471443 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

I agree that she is an outstanding talent, but she is far from all-star 5 within that age group.

Reply #471453 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Rex, you can't win when you can't win can you? People have slammed BA for their poor coverage of Under Age events for years. Over the last 18 months my observation is they have really stepped it up, and they have used social media to engage a wider audience than usual I would think. At least by using things like player of the day the conversation is two way.

Reply #471454 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

HO, I also have noticed an improvement in the media and social side of promotion at such events, live streaming as well as live stats was a great initiative.

Venue wasn't great, but at least the efforts to embrace social media and technology at these events is moving forward...

Reply #471461 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:10 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754