Moses Guthrie
Years ago

SEABL watch round 17

Mount Gambier 100 d Albury/Wodonga 84.

Eric Bradley played OK (16pts/10reb), while Chris Mason (4 pts/7reb) and Jason Williams (11pts/4reb) were just OK too. Overall, was not a great game to watch but regardless, the Pioneers won. Good to see a myriad of Adelaide basketballers in the crowd who were there either to see Big Easy or Jason Williams (who turns 30 this week).

Geelong 129 d Albury/Wodonga 107.

Eric Bradley had another OK game (14pts/11reb) but in his defence, he needs help. There is simply no other height in the team. Anyone over 6-4 looking for a game? Did you say Scott Whitmore?

Frankston 122 d AIS 114.

In the AIS' last minor round game (they don't play again until the playoffs!), Brad Hill showed again that he is something special with 31pts/6reb. Stephen Weigh, the next big thing according to Libertine, had 5pts/5reb.

Knox 98 d Hobart 97.

Mark Nash 23pts/11reb was solid, hitting two threes in the final 1:20, but Brad Robbins hit a buzzer-beater to give Knox the win. Maybe if Anthony Stewart passed more (4/17, including 3/14 from the arc), Hobart may have won.

Finally, Hobart 100 d Kilsyth 89 in an upset. Maybe Stewart listened to the coach's advice from the game before.

Of note, there's a lot of talk about the NBL players leaving before the finals. With Redhage, Lowery, Nash, Stewart, Robbins and a host of others involved, things could still get very interesting in the SEABL.

To those guys who braved the winter chill at the Icehouse on Friday night, post your thoughts on the Pioneers now you've made the 450km trip!

Topic #3417 | Report this topic

Northerner  
Years ago

Ok Moses, I told you the game sucked and I'm letting everyone else know.

There has been some discussion about whether some ABL teams could compete with Mt. Gambier or any other team in the SEABL. To put it simply, IMO, the top 6 teams in the ABL would easily account for both Mt. Gambier and Albury / Wodonga based on how both teams played on Friday night. They both play boring, jogging, half court, jungle ball. I have seen better division 2 games (and you should agree with me Moses).

Better players for the Mount on Friday were Holmes and Sedlock, and I thought Timmy D ran the show well. Williams hit a few 3's but was pretty quiet. The Pioneers had the lead out to 28 in the 3rd, but the Bandits got it back to 10 with 2 minutes to go, and they STILL had no intensity. Big Ezy needs another mobile big guy to help out on the boards who can also defend someone like Holmes.

All in all a shit game which I was only partially satisfied with in that I didn't have to pay for my ticket (thanks to WIN TV for that).

Celebrity sightings - The Pioneers inaugural coach Doug Romain. Onya Doug!!!

Oh, and something to add to the what's not list this week:
The courtside announcer at the Icehouse commentating the game for everyone to hear. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

Reply #39276 | Report this post

The Cheap Seats  
Years ago

Jamie Holmes smashed the Big Easy - Shouldn't that be "Easy to Score on"?

I am told Friday was not his best effort, Saturday's stats, must have proved that the Big Easy is just that...

If he was the best big man that the Central could pass on to SEABL, it shows that they are not up to the standard. Just 'cause you might run up and down the court faster, don't make it any better.

When was the last time a central team won the National title?

"Williams hit a few 3's but was pretty quiet" - another Central conference star, who has struggled to really get going in SEABL.

It wasn't a great game, but it is not right to try and compare leagues, different players, teams and styles. Sounds like you got pretty good hospitality, free tickets etc, don't bag it. Court commentator, maybe a point, I don't know, but it works for our situation and fans.

Reply #39387 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:44 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754