Grovermi$ter
Years ago

Cheerleaders surrounding the time out huddle

Any body else think that it was 'cheap' is that even the right word or within the spirit of the game for the cheerleaders to be surrounding the timeout huddle of the 36ers late in the last 1/4?

Apparently they do it every game... first time i noticed it...

Surely a professional organisation whom are leaps and bounds a head of most of the other NBL organsiations in regards to game night and professionalism both on and off the court could/should show a bit more class...

or is this a way for them to say 'hey we can do what we want'?

I knwo it probably had little impact on the game but it looked tacky...

the difference was the offensive rebounds that the 36ers gave up... way too many second chance points given up and a few 'home calls' (Gibsons rejection of Ennis was no different to Martins of Johnson...(One called a foul the other not))

Topic #34176 | Report this topic

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

They do it every game, I certainly notice :)

I do think it's a bit ordinary though, but unless a team makes a formal complaint I don't really have a problem with it.

Reply #468181 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It is cheap and nasty. The visiting teams seem unaffected by it.

Reply #468183 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I don't see the big deal... its not particularly distracting and they don't exactly have the best looking cheerleaders in the league.

Reply #468184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it actually cheapens the girls. Makes them look like all they are good for is a sexually based distraction and not any dancing abilities... But hey Perth are their own weird community over there.

Reply #468185 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Anything else you butthurt Sixers want to complain about?

Reply #468186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a cheap trick that doesnt work and lowers the game down to gutter level. Oh wait it's Perth

Reply #468189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The abuse should come from behind the bench not from the pom pom girls. Thats how we roll!!
And sometimes even at our own team, haha. Class!!

Reply #468192 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

So we have one concerned mother complaining about sexual ideation of the dancers, then another fan who is complaining cos they're too ugly.

Reply #468193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously, what is wrong with it? They don't get close enough to really effect the huddle and the players are/should be locked into the coach and each other anyway.

Let's not start looking for excuses. Great game, better team on the night won.

Reply #468194 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

It was the 4 Offensive boards that the Muzz Buzz cheerleaders got that turned the game IMHO

Reply #468196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its just tacky, and someone thought enough of it too write a thread up. Situation as per usually piss off, you are such a cancer on this site.

Reply #468199 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Wow I can't believe you put your name on such a venomous post ......oh hang on.

Reply #468200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Annnnnnd if i call my self 'superduper' or 'situational' that makes a difference to the post. Sit the next out maxymoo.

Reply #468204 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Looked like they kept their distance a bit last night, in which case, who really cares. Doubt the visiting team noticed.

Reply #468205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well spotted, OP
Has only been happening for about 5 years

Reply #468207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5 years of chauvanism eh.

Reply #468211 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

I have seen the sixers cheerleaders do it at a game and i just thought it was funny. I think some people need to get a sense of humor.

Reply #468212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now thats funny!

Reply #468219 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Boti is that you?

They have been doing it for years and I doubt it effects the players, if it does they have bigger things to worry about than whatever they are talking about in their huddle.

Riddle me this, who has the largest crowds and the best game night experience.. hmm maybe some lessons to be learnt from one of the many things which keep the crowds coming back.

Reply #468221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lighten up people and stop being so sensitive. Have a laugh, this is no big issue.

Reply #468224 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Goodness me, Boti Nagy makes one off-hand gripe in an article and suddenly people start raising it up themselves like they had a random epiphany.

Reply #468229 | Report this post

ThebigShow  
Years ago

Wow clutching at straws are the 36ers fans for even bringing this topic up.The game was played on the court the dancing adds to the atmosphere off the court.

Reply #468231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got no problem with it. Its not like they are super close or invading their space too much.

Reply #468233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've seen the Adelaide cheerleaders do the same thing.

Reply #468235 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

was just an observation i made last night...

only place in the league i see it happen...

didnt mean for this to divulge into petty hate posts...

as stated in my orginal post the 6ers lost due to giving up too mnay offensive boards...

that was the difference... how many second chance points did perth get? more than 7 i bet...

stop the second chance points it may have been a different result..

the cheerlaeaders had no impact was just an obersvation...

Reply #468236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers girls danced next to the Taipans bench on the black out night...

Reply #468237 | Report this post

Poker  
Years ago

Adelaides attacking of the boards - LOL
Cadee - LOL
Ervin - LOL
The final few plays by DJ - LOL

Don't be looking at the refs or the cheerleaders for excuses you butthurt Adelaide people....look within.
LOL

Reply #468238 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Have a whinge guys haha. No cheerleader talk all year and now it comes up, hilarious.

Reply #468242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You could talk about which state has the best fruit right now and youd get child remarks from both sides. Why not make it about muzz buzz 'cheerleaders'...

Reply #468243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe worry about your Highest paid players being out played, DJ cant do it all the poor Bugger.
Where was Gibson?
Where was Ervin?

Reply #468244 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

scary thought when Poker makes sense..

don't disagree with his blunt analysis..

makes my butt hurt just thinking about it

Reply #468245 | Report this post

CABL NEDIA REP  
Years ago

OP - Terrible thread Trolling maybe?

Reply #468246 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

Not sure if the complaint is about the distraction during timeouts or because they are cheerleaders.
The NZ Breakers home games used to have a group of people sitting directly behind the opposition bench with clackers as a distraction. And let's not forget Jack Nicholson at the Lakers games with a permanent seat behind the opposition bench constantly giving it to them.
All part of the game. Love it.

Reply #468247 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

http://www.adelaide36ers.com/burlesque

Reply #468248 | Report this post

James C  
Years ago

Ive seen Sixers dancers do it to the Perth team the last few years as they did it to the Sixers. Fun and games gentlemen.

Reply #468249 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

It's often the case with sports fans. They lose a game but then look to invent some moral high ground as a victory.

Reply #468250 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ had or may still have a couple of old boys with a drum who sit behind the opposition bench trying to drown out the oppostion coach during timeoutsI suspect.
Perth aren't alone and nor is their tactic the worst in the league in this regard.
The players are professional athletes, having some opposition female dancers surround them should not intimidate them nor effect their mindset one bit.

Reply #468257 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I think as long as you're not interfering with the teams during timeout, physically or audibly, then I have no problems with what any team does. I think the NZ drums were a bit over the top, and I think the Crocs did something similar a few years back but then apologized for it a day later.

Reply #468260 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Minor issues always raised after a loss. One loss all year at home so barely a mention that often our entertainment is a guy in a Fru Choc costume dancing...

Surely there's enough to talk about with the game itself?

Reply #468261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 36ers cheerleaders have done this too! I sit behind the opposition bench and they did it twice this season and then I think realised there was no point as it did absolutely nothing! They also tried doing warm up stretches in front of opposition while they were warming up. Also gave that up after one game.
I think there are some things on game night that need to maybe be revisited. Family night at the end of the day but hey, I go to watch the game!

Reply #468265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That fru choc needs to be snipered haha NBL has never been big on genuine entertainment in breaks of action. The 6er girls arent anywhewre near as good as they used to be.

Reply #468273 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

Meh - it's their court.. they can do what they want really. We (Adelaide) do anything we can to gain as much home court advantage as we can. If there is nothing against any rules re this, Perth see this as a good tactic and think it adds value to fans, it doesn't bother me...

Reply #468307 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

I remember a few years ago at Challenge Stadium one of the visiting teams (I think Townsville but not sure) complained on the basis that they were too close and it interfered with movement around the huddle rather than anything else. After that, the NBL determined that the was a minimum distance, I think 2 or 3 meters that the had to keep away. Doesn't seem to have been an issue for anyone since then. Can't imagine that the players are too distracted by it. It's more for the fans

Reply #468309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i don't go for either team, but it's crap and unnecessary, there is just stuff you don't do, I'm all for making your home court into a fortress but having cheerleaders dance around the opposition team during quarter times and time outs is ridiculous, and stupid

Reply #468347 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Why?

Reply #468348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why ask why?

Reply #468349 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

so much love...

#36ersnation

Reply #468350 | Report this post

yoyo  
Years ago

because

Reply #468351 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

So there

Reply #468352 | Report this post

Billy Goats Gruff  
Years ago

takes one to know one

Reply #468353 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Almost as stupid as the "boo Ennis" thread and look what happened there.

Reply #468357 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

thesituation they have been warned about how close they have gotten to teams in the past. So no its not just "butthurt" Adelaide fans that don't like it.
I think its tacky and cheap in the same way the idiot sound guy at Adelaide plays stupid Simpson sounds in a professional league when someone misses a free throw.
The professional attitude of lots of teams need to lift from being a kids game into an adults nation wide competition.
I also want the Old Murray Magpie back..the one who did tricks and was a force unto herself and didn't just bob his head occasionally.

Reply #468368 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Yes, that's right, they were warned about keeping a distance. Did they break that rule last night? I've said a few times, interfering with a timeout is not on so I have no problem with them being told to keep a distance. I just want more of an explanation of why its crap, stupid and unnecessary.

Reply #468371 | Report this post

Billy Goats Gruff  
Years ago

Takes one to know one

Reply #468372 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Cheerleaders are there for entertainment and some say distraction of the other team is another benefit.

Unfortunately, the distraction doesn't work with the Sixers as they are used to a more attractive Cheerleader.

Reply #468377 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

They have to do something because dancing isn't a strength of theirs

Reply #468379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you don't know the answer situation you should. Its been explained here plenty of times already.

Reply #468394 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

It hasn't actually

Reply #468395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think its tacky and cheap"

"but it's crap and unnecessary, there is just stuff you don't do, I'm all for making your home court into a fortress but having cheerleaders dance around the opposition team during quarter times and time outs is ridiculous, and stupid"

" I think realised there was no point as it did absolutely nothing!"

Pretty obvious to me.

Reply #468397 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So...it's stupid, crap, and unnecessary because it's stupid, crap, and unnecessary? Excellent argument.

Reply #468398 | Report this post

Poker  
Years ago

The cheerleaders are a good part of the package for people who are only marginal basketball fans.

Take my wife for example, aside from getting to spend time with me (lol), she enjoys the basketball for the atmosphere, music, good vantage point, dancing, 1/2 time entertainment, red wine etc etc....

The Perth Muzz Buzz cheerleaders are good I reckon. Not all skinny rakes but there are some skinny ones, mediums and well....other types too. They dance pretty well and seem to have a lot of fun. They are better than the Melbourne Dodo ones we are used to that's for sure.

Quit howling at Adelaide losing and look forward to your teams opportunity to level the series on Friday night. As a basketball fan I hope Adelaide do so we can see a decider in Perth :)

Reply #468399 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

I don't care where they dance,

I like the fact that there was 18 of them though.

Reply #468406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So...it's stupid, crap, and unnecessary because it's stupid, crap, and unnecessary? Excellent argument."

Yes.
Why do you think they are there? Are you that naïve? Because they are great dancers? Great body shapes distracting the time outs? Why isn't there a male cheer leaders group at all? Maybe have an all male cheer leader group and see how long that lasts. Pretty obvious to me. I guess you work in a gender equal work space. Do they have them in High School?

Reply #468428 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

How tha hell did this thread gain so much momentum. Do (you people) have to complain about everything!!!
Its such harmless fun and the players would not even notice.If they do then they deserve to be benched for not listening in the huddle.
Get over it!

Reply #468452 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

WOW!

as i have stated before this thread was started as an observation from myself about something that the Perth Dancers do every game, from reports, and it was the first time i noticed it...

was more after peoples opinions if they thought it was cheap/tacky/with in the rules/ok/funny etc etc

i think i have had my question answered...

it had no impact on the game Perth won by hustling the boards and not giving Adelaide any room in the key to utilise DJ and Schensh to good affect and limiting Ervins influence on the game (And now as being reported with Creek/Teys/Carter having Gastro explains why Carter and Creek played one they both would rather forget... Teys on the other hand had another good game)...

Game two is looking like its going to be a cracker!

#36ersnation

Reply #468492 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Well said Grovermi$ter.

Reply #468502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF are you Sixers fans blind? Cheerleaders have been doing this to opponents for years even back at Challenge, many of them televised. Funny how it never annoyed you until you lost a Grand Final game to the Cats.

Reply #468648 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Cheerleaders surrounding the opposition team during a time out? Big deal, they do it every game in Perth.

And besides, it just adds to the spectacle.

IIRC, during the 1980's and 1990's, the Illawarra Steelers rugby league team were famous for sitting behind the opposition bench for Hawks games at the old Snake Pit. They were supposedly (as the story goes) to intimidate the opposition.

If you want to distract the opposition, put a few people sitting close by or on the opposite side of the court with high powered laser pointers. One red dot on each of their forwards would be a big distraction lol

Reply #468729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt if the visiting team notice them. It's only us viewers that see the cheerleaders TERRIBLE dancing. Even the security guy occasionally shake a leg.

Reply #470175 | Report this post

John J  
Years ago

When I watch cheerleaders I like many others are not watching how they dance. It's all about what they look like which in Australia isn't very good. The crowd just wants entertainment and for the guys, hot chicks.
There are some absolute babes in the NBA cheering and putting on a damn good show

Reply #470179 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

Congratulations must go to Perth for being an equal opportunity employer and not discriminating against any of the girls despite size or looks. It is nice to see so many full figured ladies filling out the uniforms

Reply #470183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great choice of male cheerleaders they need to be congratulated on their equal opportunity program for both sexes.

Reply #470238 | Report this post

Looking  
Years ago

May have been the Beer Goggles for night games, but even on Sunday I saw some great eye candy
Unfortunately they looked so much better than 36ers.

Reply #470527 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@ YOLO,

Oh, haha, I guess you were referring to the cheerleaders. Sorry, hadn't seen this post.

Dunno if you were being sarcastic but, taking you on the level, yeah, the Wildcats seem to make a point of having a range of body-types in the dance group. Of course, they all still have to be able to perform, and they do.

The rationale is simple; they get more buy-in from their female membership base and attendees with this approach then they would get from their male membership base by making them all rake-thin sex-pots. On one occasion during the year we couldn't attend a game and we handed our membership cards to one of my wife's coworkers so they wouldn't sit empty. It was that co-worker's first basketball game and her happiness with the composition of the Muzz Buzz Dancers was one of the first things she mentioned, and both her and her husband were interested in getting tickets of their own for future games.

It's part of what has led to the Wildcats having a 47% female membership base, which has helped us hit the 8k+ members two seasons running.

Reply #470534 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:28 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754