Anonymous
Years ago

GF Commentators

CARFINO ---- aarghhhhh, I want to turn off the sound.... worst commentator, it must be his voice that the producers love but his content is appalling…..

Topic #34179 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed him and Lachie try, almost too much. Carfino is so mundane and repeast him self. Lachie is so far on the Wildcats nuts its just annoying. Shouldve left him in Russia.

As the NBL does gain momentum, the people that are in charge of the telecast really will have to bring in some bigger guns. These 2 aint cutting it, and dont get me start on Brad Rosen.

Reply #468271 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

If you noticed, they actually tried adding to their normal offerings by giving insight and background into players like US commentators do.

Reply #468275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carfinos been doing it for how long now?
Can't be that bad obviously.

Reply #468276 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

goes to show that Carfino was definitely a 'natural' talent in his playing days..

because he gives no insight into the game whatsoever with his 'basketball brain'

Reply #468277 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i also think they should mention the pure size of these guys...it would help new viewers to appreciate/compare these athletes.
wasnt one mention of it last night,when i tell my kids how tall big luke is they go wow!!

Reply #468279 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Carfino is much better doing special comments as he did last night, I thought he was quite insightful. But when he's doing play-by-play...

Reply #468286 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Just because Carfino has been doing it for so long means nothing. He managaed to stay employed during an era of NBL where quite frankly no media outlet gave a damn. Perhaps he was deemed the most convenient option.

Reply #468287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the rumors are to be believed this is Carfino's last season anyway. NBL will be taking a much more hands-on approach next season with the entire production, including commentary - and the word is they want Carfino out. He's been on the nose as it is with Ch10 for a while apparently.

Expect some changes with NBL.TV as well - some new commentary teams in a couple of different cities is what I'm hearing.

Reply #468290 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

This would be welcomed and well over due.

Reply #468293 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I dont mind Alan Black's commentating. He's reserved. Mike Ellis is also not bad.

I have to agree, Lachie does get excited a bit too easily.

Reply #468298 | Report this post

Eddie McGuire  
Years ago

I didn't even know the game was on!

That's an indictment on how much coverage Australian Basketball gets in mainstream media.

Reply #468299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who do people want to commentate the nbl, I agree that Carfino is average but not many options being thrown up?

Reply #468300 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Can we say who we DON'T Want:

I'd prefer no Heal. I hear he has moved on to NZ to coach, but Id honestly prefer not to have him commentating at a future point in the NBL.

Reply #468302 | Report this post

Frederico  
Years ago

Bill Woods is calling game 2 with Carfino with Brett Maher on the sidelines.

Reply #468306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've enjoyed NZ's broadcast commentary team this season with Tab Baldwin joining Andrew Mulligan. Carfino does my head in.

Reply #468310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carino's been with 10 doing it for ever and they even let him get his own show on air for a while. I doubt he's on the nose at 10 what so ever.

Reply #468313 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Worth pointing out that given the combination they had, they did their best with it. I was worried they were going to go with Carfino/Bear for the call with Lachie running the sidelines, which would have been just terrible.

Reply #468314 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Dont even get me started on Tony Ronaldson, seriously, he is so painful and has a face for radio! Must be soem up and comers with WA sports media who could run the sidelines. Just because he played the game doesnt mean he has to commnetate it!!!

Reply #468322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like Carfino

Reply #468324 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Tony Ronaldson's headphones were best on court last night.

Reply #468326 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Bo hamburger I love it! And they just kept desperately trying to go back to him hahaha by the time he replied, what he had to say had even less value than usual haha

Reply #468327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett Maher drives me Mad, Talks heaps but says not much.
Tuff gig though!!

Reply #468329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tony Ronaldson is TERRIBLE!!!

Reply #468331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe a bit of humour wouldn't go astray either..

Seriously, I wish they would stop commentating the game like they are talking to their 5 year old kids.

Reply #468333 | Report this post

Snowy  
Years ago

Surely if former footy players can turn into commentators, we can produce the odd good one or two. Even have a special comments person like Billy Mildenhall or Mal Cooper to interpret refereeing decisions.... Just a thought.

Reply #468334 | Report this post

Poker  
Years ago

Gaze is excellent.
Maher is rubbish.
Ronaldson is worse.
Carfino is good.
Woods is/was good.

Reply #468335 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Tab Baldwin is an excellent commentator. By far, the best commentator this year. Great insight into the game. Makes some really good points. Doesn't get overly critical (Which I actually see ESPN do a lot of, especially Jay Bilas); Praises players when they make tough plays.

Great colour commentator - now if we could only get some top-notch play-by-play commentators.

Reply #468340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I noticed that some of the ex coaches get gigs in the NBA and even AFL at times, would guys like Bevo, Smyth, Black, Westover, who are championship coaches be available/good options in the future? To provide some good insight into the game, whilst being decent communicators as id expect most coaches/ex coaches to be.

Reply #468342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze is terrible and for a legendary player that he is he is clueless as a commentator.

Reply #468343 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Cant believe all the whinging on here - seriously do u want some cheese to go with your whine?? The call was great last night & having 36er legend Brett Maher in the building was perfect. Gibbo hits two 3's to silence crowd & gets pumped up & calls it beautifully. Well done to all on the commentary team last night!!

Reply #468344 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

time to get off the meds tropical booz

the broadcast is grating and distracting to the ear

asking nothing more than sensible, concise, knowledgeable and insightful commentary

if AFL and NRL can do it sure NBL can?

next move will be the return of 'finger friendly roll' John Casey EGADS..!!

Reply #468355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

turn down the volume.

Reply #468359 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

The referees, the commentators, the cheerleaders. The DRAMA!! bring on game 2.

Reply #468360 | Report this post

Simo  
Years ago

I agree with MACDUB, Tab Baldwin is the best colour commentator. Knows the game well & it appears he does his research on players. Shame we can't get him out to Australia to do some games.

Bring back the great John Casey he was by far the best play by play commentator. I think Carfino did ok when he worked with Casey as the colour commentator, but his play by play needs a lot of work.

Reply #468375 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Carfino and Casey. That's the duo you want. Those were good times, I miss them.

Reply #468383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a NZer I love Mulligan as a play-by-play commentator. He stumbles over his words sometimes but puts so much emotion into it even if the game is dull he gets you excited. Frank and Tab were both excellent colour commentators for different reasons. Casey gets in on the hyped up act with Mulligan while providing some interesting perspectives from the players point of view, while Tab does a lot of great things in commentary box (see MACDUB's post) but doesn't have the chemistry with Mulligan that Frank possesses.

Keeping in mind I have a very limited pool of games from which to draw my opinion from, here are my opinions on Aussie commentators.

Alan Black provides good insights but seems almost too reserved, like he doesn't want to upset fans on either side by overly praising or dissing one specific team or player.

Mike Ellis is average, but by NBL standards pretty good.

I hate Gaze a commentator. He's dull and from the stuff he says you'd never guess he was one of greatest Aussies to play the game.

Carfino doing play-by-play is the 8th deadly sin. I could see him being decent on the sidelines though.

I think if Bill Woods uses this off-season to find out more about the players and the way the game is played today he could be very good.

Ronaldson is bad. Haven't heard Maher. Enthusiasm is bad when controlled, if Lachie could reign it in he could be a very good commentator.

Reply #468389 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Cat is there a solution to your problem or u live to complain. How does Carfino have no insight? The guy knows his stuff better than anyone. Whats answer to this rroblem? Martin Cattalini? Is that u Cat?

Reply #468426 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

been waiting years to hear Carfino's stuff..

all I hear is inane comments by rote

Reply #468442 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Yeahhhh where is John Casey now? I always liked the casey/carfino commentary on fox.
I like Alan Blacks unbiased commentary on radio but yes he can be a little reserved but more so because he is the foil as a special comments man. I dont agree that gaze is dull? He has a lot of personality as does brett maher which i appreciate for some colour in the commentary. Bill woods is good but he doesn't know the 'lingo'. He seems so out of touch with the game its obvious in the call. Bear always stammering was so excruciating to listen to but ive noticed in the past couple of games hes becoming smoother. Perhaps he has done some training or just improving with practice...still needs some work!

Reply #468448 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Casey is commentating the SANFL for Channel 7

Reply #468453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and John Casey did a pretty good job on Thursday night's Norwood vs Port game on 7mate too. A number of SANFL diehards singled out Casey for doing well in his first game but has done AFL games on Fox before. Not too sure about that Tom Wilson boundary rider guy from Fox but he'll get better.

Reply #468471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game 1's TV ratings were 100k with 43k of that in Perth and 42k in Adelaide.

On the commentary last night was alright, Carfino is tolerable when doing colour but no good at calling the play. Gaze is the best for colour.

Every season people say rumour is Carfino won't be back next season and sure enough year in year out he's back. I'll believe that guff when it happens!

There is only one year left on the Ten deal after this season too.

Reply #468473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scratch that Gaze is the best for colour among the regulars but JVG is the best overall. Would be great if his minor role could be expanded next season.

Reply #468475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You do know JVG is doing know don't you?

Reply #468484 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

Russell hinder might make a good special comments guy?

Reply #468485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JVG did some commentary this year if that's what you meant to say anon #484.

Dennis Commeti, Clinton Grybas and Bruce Palmer were awesome for includsion on the all time commentators team. Thinking back most from the 80s and 90s were professional and could speak clearly unlike today. Ronaldson & Maher come to mind who are painful. Most ex-players on TV and NBL.TV in fact can't seem to string a sentence or have a semblance of personality, apart from Matt Smith who is witty. Carfino gets away with knowing zilch due to his voice, surely he will be let go or does he have something over someone? The rest are meh.

Reply #468638 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Bring back Andrew Kay and Lynn Parnell!!!!!

Reply #468728 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If Channel 7/7 Mate gets it after Ten/ONEHD I wonder if Dennis Cometti would be keen to commentate, at least for the games in the state he's living in (Vic or WA still?). John Casey is working for Channel 7 here in South Aus, and maybe Basil Zemplas could do WA games. Maher for SA games and Gaze for Vic games, could limit costs fairly well if the commentators don't have to be flown places and if some are already contracted to Channel 7.

Reply #468740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JVG has a new job since commentating this season.

Broncos. So I doubt he will be doing NBL.

Reply #468762 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:15 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754