Happy Days
Years ago

Mark Wright reappointed 2014/2015

Mark Wright back at the helm for 2014/15
Mark Wright has been reappointed as head coach of the Dandenong Rangers WNBL team for the 2014/15 season
The Rangers management have spent the last month redefining the process from which a head coach could be appointed and the structure that the coach would need to follow throughout the new season to help achieve the team's goals.

CEO David Graham: "...….Ultimately we identified in our WNBL post season analysis the need for cultural improvement and change at the Rangers. Importantly this would set the benchmark for all senior and junior Rangers elite teams. We’re confident that the approach we’ve decided on enables us to move forward to accomplish this. Mark has an outstanding record as the Rangers coach, highlighted by winning the WNBL Championship 3 seasons ago. He’s embraced what’s required regarding our cultural goals and can’t wait to get started with all the energy and enthusiasm Mark’s renowned for…..".

Topic #34180 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

Anybody understand what David Graham is talking about because i don't???

Reply #468288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he is saying we need to change our culture by not changing our coach? Think he just said more than needed! We have reappointed a very good coach would have been enough.

Reply #468294 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Mark Wright has been reappointed as head coach of the Dandenong Rangers WNBL team for the 2014/15 season...

"Ultimately we identified in our WNBL post season analysis the need for cultural improvement and change at the Rangers."

...huh?

Reply #468320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Mark Wright misbehaving and they want to micromanage him?

Reply #468323 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Im with you Playmaker Mo.Poorly written media release.One minute your talking about change and culture issues at the club and then you reappoint the coach.Remember the fish rots at the head....

Reply #468328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CEO David Graham: "I wanted to talk around in circles, yet not actually say anything, while sounding quite important. Oh, and Gerry wanted to keep Mark".

Reply #468345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We better keep Mark so we get Kath back?

Reply #468354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Kath returns to the Rangers, what happens with Mitchell? Do they keep both, as their best position is that of point guard and could either of them still have enough of an impact if taken out of that role?

Reply #468364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They'd need to organise a sign and trade for a big and potentially look to get a first round draft pick back.

But seriously, Bendigo have shown having 2 smaller guards that can both handle and distribute is a good thing.

Also, Kath always seemed to be more of a scoring guard anyway rather then distributor.

Reply #468370 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Why not, let starts a petition...sounds like they are the flavor of the month at the moment.

Reply #468374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

O'Hea heading to Europe, won't rule out a return to the Rangers some time down the track but not next summer.
From the same article:

Wright said forward Alice Kunek was close to re-signing and Rangers' imports Natalie Novosel and Kayla Pederson were both keen to return.

New mum Kathleen MacLeod is likely to rejoin the team for 2014-15 after taking last season off.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/south-east/dandenong-rangers-star-jenna-ohea-has-played-her-last-game-for-the-club-a-move-to-europe-in-her-sights/story-fngnvoeu-1226877871829

Reply #468459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The culture thing, more like not changing rosters every season.

I think Novosel/Pederson/Mitchell will do a bit better with a second season under their belts.

Reply #468469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is great news for the Rangers.

Reply #468488 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anybody understand what David Graham is talking about because i don't???
I was confused and re-read it to make sure I was getting what they were trying to say. I think it's just an awkward way of saying that something needed to change, that they couldn't find what they believed to be a superior option (with or without an active search of the market) and figured that the incumbent with KPIs/kick-up-the-arse/whatever was their best bet.

There are ways friendlier to the staying-on coach to explain that though.

Reply #468489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rangers need a good big, that's what they have been missing, pedersen is really a 3/4 that's what she has always played, she could take oheas spot really she's athletic enough.
Sherf is not ready to take a main role yet still far to green and inconsistent, they would be better looking to pay the money for a big either home grown Aussie ( but think they are all taken) or overseas import, rather than more guards, they have enough guards with Mitchell and McLeod IF she comes back , Novotel didn't really impact on game so use local talent to replace that spot , though ohea will be a big loss and hard to replace and if they can't get kunek back it will be a tough gig next season.

Reply #468490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is great news for the Rangers. They spend the same time every year trying to work out why players have left and why they have under achieved.
Please explain how if;
"The Rangers management have spent the last month redefining the process from which a head coach could be appointed"
AND THE CEO STATES;
Ultimately we identified in our WNBL post season analysis the need for cultural improvement and change at the Rangers.
WHAT IS THE CHANGE????
Re appointing a coach who was at the helm of cultural issues???
The CEO just keeps confirming he has no idea what he's doing and there is no process.
Who are the Rangers Managers? are they deaf and blind?
This media release would have to go down as one of the best examples of incompetence and horse crap anyone could see from a professional sporting organization.
Thanks for again confirming the lack of leadership, poor processes and crap that is being spun at the club!

Reply #468494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many here question wrights reappointment, and say he was "at the helm of cultural issues". What a load of crock, the guy has made finals every year he's been at the helm regardless of roster he's had so he must be doing something right. How many teams never even make that, bendigo has had same coaches in the harrower duet for donkey's years they have only made it the last two. Stop with the hate campaign, maybe go see there trainings and see how he interacts with the players, go sit in the change rooms at half time and see how he speaks then. You all need to take a look at the big picture and stop looking for a punching boy. The players are the ones who can win the game NOT the coach, if they choke or under-perform in finals that's not the coaches issue.

Reply #468495 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

The change is there is no change!!!

Reply #468496 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

^The players are the ones who can win the game NOT the coach, if they choke or under-perform in finals that's not the coaches issue.^

Are you for real? The players are a direct reflection of their coach & are carrying out his instructions. When Mark Wright starts to crumble under pressure on the sidelines it has a profound & direct impact on his players on the court. All great coaches are accountable for what their players are doing on the court! The facts are the Rangers have lost 2 HOME Preliminary Finals in the last 2 years & there will be no Jenna O'Hea to bail them out next season.

Reply #468498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But if it's not the players who control the game why would you need a Jenna ohea to bail a team out. Coaches can only give direction so far, at the end it's the people on the court that either want to win or they don't. Teams train all season they have plays routines go to players. They have on court leaders decision makers. Coaches have time outs, if they don't listen in time outs or execute hat they practice in training who's fault is that. The coach is on the sideline he does not have the ball in his hand. If he yells to motivate he's in the wrong, if he sits on his hands and says nothing he's in the wrong if he subs he's in the wrong if he doesn't sub he's in the wrong, seriously it's a combined effort

Reply #468582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha... Rangers should start planning for 2015/2016. It is an absolute joke that he got reappointed. It's actually laughable.

Reply #468600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've seen trainings, I've seen timeouts and I wouldn't sit in the room at half time because it would make me sick. Just like it has all the players that have left. His behavior in the locker room must be great, that's why Cheryl Chambers hung around.
Good coaches and respected people don't lose players.
Wright and Rangers have $$$$$ players to try and compete. With O'hea gone it will free up the budget and keep the other happy and hide the truth AGAIN.
Forget the hate on Wright, he's just an average coach with a poor track record of keeping players around.
Someone please explain what the hell the CEO is on about in the media release. What a Joke!

Reply #468629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does Wright continously get NBL and WNBL head coaching positions???? Is it because Jayco like him as from memory they also sponsored Vic Titans or am I mistaken?

Reply #468631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No requests to delete this thread yet? Surely wont be far away with the president attempting to try and cover up another comical mess.
Admission from the CEO there is a culture issue and need for change yet the apparent process management followed identified problems and they never made a change.
What a great reflection of leadership and corporate governance.

David Graeme has confirmed with his media release he has no idea what he's talking about, contradicts what he says and admitted from his own mouth the organization identified the need for change and admitted to a culture issue within the Rnagers WNBL Program.

SO WHAT WAS THE RESULT - NO CHANGE AND RE APPOINT THE COACH

Way to go buzz light year! To Infinity and beyond...

Reply #468739 | Report this post

Cash splash  
Years ago

Hearing rumors Liz Cambage will sign with Dandenong for huge $$. Huge. More than other teams total budgets. Lucky they have such a great sponsor. Surely they can't lose again with Liz

Reply #470492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surprise, surprise Leilani Mitchell is not required by Dandenong as the daughter in-law makes a return to the Rangers.

Reply #470501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So cash splash will the Liz deal be more or less then the Capitals are paying LJ for this and the next few seasons?

Or should we keep criticising clubs for working hard to bring the best players back from overseas....

Reply #470503 | Report this post

Cash splash  
Years ago

Who is criticizing? It will be great to have Liz back in the league. Not sure about working hard though. As I said, lucky you have such a great sponsor. And also lucky dumb arse David reappointed Wright because if he didn't, you wouldn't have the cash to pay for Liz. Just making the point that other clubs budgets are less than you are going to pay for one player so for another year in a row, expectations for a championship will be high to justify the spend.

Reply #470531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I read your post again and you're right Cash splash it wasn't critical.

Part of my point was that getting Liz on big money will more then likely be better value then getting Canberra paying LJ seven figures over the terms of her existing deal.

Also, if the expectations are so high on Dandenong why do Canberra get a free pass if their payroll will be as high or higher (LJ is one year down on a 3 year 7 figure deal where she'll be earning around 350k at age 35 which is partly funded by BA). Its looking like being a Gilbert Arenas/Steve Nash type deal all rolled into one.

Reply #470537 | Report this post

Cash splash  
Years ago

Anonymous I 100% agree with you! Canberra Capitals fly under the radar for who knows what reason . They have a huge budget and pay massive money and yet this season they were terrible. If BA have given them cash for LJ like they did in the past it is criminal given the Logan situation.

Reply #470590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jackson's deal is a third-party contract and Basketball Australia is a minor contributor.

However, Basketball Australia had offered extra financial assistance to get Jackson’s contract amendment over the line.

'‘Last week, all parties reached verbal agreement that the contract variation was approved and Lauren would play in 2013-14 for the Capitals,’’ Basketball Australia issued in a statement.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/basketball-star-lauren-jackson-wont-play-for-capitals-in-wnbl-in-2013-20130730-2qwrf.html#ixzz2z08bF3Qg

Jackson was in the middle of a one-off $1 million, three-season contract with the Capitals where she was required to play in 2012-13, 2014-15 and 2015-16.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/different-rules-for-different-sexes-jackson-20130808-2rj9t.html#ixzz2z0946A2m

It advises BA are a minor contributor although I wonder how minor?

I love LJ and everything she has done for the game, and she deserves everything she gets although I'm glad I'm not chipping in to see LJ limp around for a couple games over the next few seasons (although am I chipping in if I'm a tax player and BA are involved?).

Reply #470605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can Canberra get funding from BA for anything when another team like Logan has to fold due to lack of funds. Lauren Jackson has made millions playing this sport, maybe she could give back a little and wave her fee give it to Logan then you get another team into the league and more opportunities for other players. As for big Lizzie back a dande, no one can judge any other club if they can afford to pay for players WITHOUT BA funding. Dande have brought back McLeod which was always going to happen but the surprise is Monica wrights return. Kunek has resigned also, with pedersen gear to return, so a good strong team being built, the ret I would imagine will come from the younger players from last year like Clydesdale and Sherf., with some newer faces from the rangers ranks filling the last few spots. Can't see Donnie returning think she's ready to retire.

Reply #470634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure how the 1 mil is broken down, although say it is evenly spread.

333K - year one (2012, zero games).

Couldn't get the amended deal over the line year 2, so she went to China, a country which isn't exactly known for their injury management.

Now injured again and touch and go to play in the world champs.

333K - year two (next wnbl season, games tba)

333K - year three (2016, games tba, age 35)

Hopefully she gets her body right and can get back to the LJ we saw win the grand final mvp last time she played. Although I'm not positive of that occuring right now.

Reply #470637 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:45 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754