Doh
Years ago

Aust. Nationals in Canberra

Nice to see SA Metro get over the top of NSW Metro. Something not done for quite a few years.
Lowest 3 point % from NSW in quite some time.

Topic #34212 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Metro women lost

Reply #468916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSW Metro boys had a really really off game. Not sure why coach didn't start AIS CoE player Deng Gak in the 4 spot. Looked to play with 4 guards then Isaac Humphries at Centre - unorthodox decision that seemed to not work.

The real test will be to see whether they bounce back vs Vic Country tomorrow. If not, I don't like their chances of a medal.

Reply #468954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSW Met and Vic Country game was a cracker, plenty of dunks and action for the fans, but the NSW boys came up against a team that is just plain hard to beat.

Look at NZ as maybe the second best team in men's pool B along with Country Vic I think.

Isaac had a great game, but was well held in the last quarter and Vic played better as a team when it counted, defense won this game.

Reply #469031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Agree with you anon that Country Vic are a good team and hard to beat on their day. But looking at the supposed talent that NSW Metro have in their team, they really should be beating teams like Country Vic and SA Metro. Their PF (Gak) and C (Humphries) are both at the AIS and most teams don't even have 1 AIS player in their team. Sure, their guards aren't the best but they should have enough talent there. Just strange that they are struggling so much...

Reply #469035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe you need to look outside of just NSW Anonymous^, Vic country men have 4 players who have either played for the under 17 Aust men's team or trained with the squad at the AIS, team is stacked with talent.

Reply #469038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're misunderstanding what i'm saying, so maybe you shouldn't act with such hostility. I'm not seeking to detract from the talent VIC Country have at all - I wholeheartedly acknowledge it. To be honest though, if it weren't for one certain player, who dominates the scoring and will remain unnamed, they wouldn't be anywhere near as good as they are.

My question wasn't about them either, it was trying to seek answers as to why NSW Metro have struggled so much over TWO games against TWO different teams. That's all. So calm down.

Reply #469040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one's being hostile here, ask yourself where NSW met would be without their main man, really just a matter of opinion isn't it?

Reply #469053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know where they would be - the same place most teams (including Vic Country) would be without their main man. Not really a matter of opinion -more a matter of fact. Stats speak for themselves.

Reply #469058 | Report this post

Doh  
Years ago

This post was more for recognising how even the teams must be this year, rather than two of you sprouting how good Vic Country or NSW Metro are.

Give the tournament another few days and bragging rights will be found. One bad game though in tournaments like this will cost a team. Let us all sit back and watch what eventuates.

Reply #469063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doh, you are also missing the point that the NSW poster as being a bit precious. No one is sprouting just making a point.

Anyway NSW country made a point tonight in the men's pool A, they will be tough to beat.

Reply #469195 | Report this post

Metro Exper  
Years ago

Honestly the standard of NSW metro guard is fairly low this year - notably the Musulin kid, who although can play a little has pretty much no hope of sticking with guys at a state level

Reply #469226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm tipping a NSW Country vs VIC Metro grand final in the Mens. Both sides have had players ruled out with injury and illness in the past week so will be interesting to see how they adapt.

Reply #469288 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Great to see some online coverage of the U18's.

Takes me back!

Reply #469311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSW Metro desperately need to go and find themselves a stretch four if they ever want to see Isaac Humphries reach his potential in this particular point of his career. Every time he touches the ball down low the defence collapses, and whilst he might have the presence of a Shaq, he has the finesse more of a Shawn Bradley.

Coach needs to figure out a way to find him some more space down low. Isaac is head and shoulders the most imposing big at the tournament, but opposition coaches (NSW Country in last year's U16's in particular) have figured out all you need to do to nullify him at these tournaments.

- Brock

Reply #469344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As an impartial observer to the NSW Country v QLD Nth game yesterday I was wondering about how much those officials knew about the new points of emphasis and tightening of the calling in these games.

The physical presence they were allowed to exert onto the QLD big in particular was deplorable. It seems the officials have gone back to the dark old days after a decent start they are turning a blind eye inside the key in particular, sad!

Reply #469349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also watched the NSW Country v QLD North game as an impartial observer. NSW were head and shoulders above QLD but the game was marred by the 60 odd fouls called in the game - pretty evenly across both teams may I add. Can't say the QLD big didn't deserve his fouls either, he was pretty silly in unnecessarily elbowing an opposition player when he was on 4 fouls.

The referees had a good game - they did their job and called a foul when there was one. Both teams need to learn to keep their hands out.

Reply #469351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Spoken like an official, well done. Perhaps players are getting frustrated that the officiating isn't consistent and that's why an elbow is thrown. Agree they need to keep hands out but there is more to it than that, like referees taking control early. Before frustration seeps in

Reply #469356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha not an official and never will be one. I'm well aware there is more to it than that but making excuses for throwing elbows is really quite sad. Especially from a player that should know better.

Reply #469363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All this talk about AIS or as they are now known C of E players, a star team will always beat a team of stars when the team of stars play as individuals . Early days yet, but credit were it's due young jack White from Vic country is dominating at the moment, but some start well and fall away through the week others take a few games to hit their straps and then some teams can pull one out the box unexpectedly and change the whole course. The only game that counts is the gold medal game, get there first then you can pump up the players, till then it's anyone's game, though don't be surprised if Vic country make finals.

Reply #469448 | Report this post

MRT  
Years ago

Maxymoo were do u access online coverage? Thanks

Reply #469572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if the women's pools are more even than the men, but pool B looks a lot tougher than pool A at this stage.

Reply #469593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pool A has nsw and vic metro haha!

Reply #470019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

College scouts in town feedback from AJC what do people know about Rob Colton and Angus Glover?

Reply #471112 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:20 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754