Anonymous
Years ago

So new 36ers fans...

Are you in for the long haul? Glad you came out the wood works to support your team tonight, but will you attend any more games next year? Get behind your team if you want success.

It's a shame that it takes a final to pack out a stadium.

I've been going to the 36ers games for years and tonight was packed with so many fresh faces. I also saw a lot of regulars as well, but a lot of new faces. Will these people show up to future games or is this your first and only game?

If the 6ers loose the finals is that it?

Maybe one day I'll walk down the street and I'll see more 36ers colours than fake as NBA fans who wear the gear to look cool.

Topic #34228 | Report this topic

Loco  
Years ago

At least the stadium was packed. Let's enjoy that.

Reply #469312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I enjoyed it immensely, just would like to see these people make an effort and come out and support the team throughout the season (or at least the finals) and not just a grand final.

Reply #469316 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

You make a point anon, but unfortunately, we (the basketball community) have to take what we can get. Was a great turn out for GF2, and the crowd was loud and created the atmosphere we all love. Let's just take that.

In AFL, look at any of the sides not doing so well and see what their crowd averages are. When was the last time Brisbane had a full stadium? I would wager that if they win the next ten straight, the crowd numbers at home games would double.

We all love to support our club no matter how bad they are travelling, but god reality is we can't all afford the time or the chose to spend our entertainment dollars on a lost cause. Hopefully some of the 'fans' that turned up tonight will get season tickets next year?

Reply #469319 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I forgot to say........GO SIXERS!!!!

Reply #469320 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would've been a lot of fans returning after sitting out lean years or who don't normally travel from the country to see the games.

Reply #469322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very true Isaac.

I love you guys and I love the fans who make it to games regularly.

I understand it's impossible to be there every game. I also understand it's more difficult when the 6ers aren't winning games like the last few years. It's always difficult to turn up for a beating.

But if you love the game and if you want to see a successful team/league in Adelaide/Australia just turn up to more games (than just the finals).

It's not that expensive considering.

Not having a go, just challenging people to show the support the team/league needs.

I will add, I hate fake as f**k NBA 'gangster' fans, who act like fans for just for their image as a 'gangster'.

Reply #469325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol @ wannabe gangstas in Australia they simply are watching too many American tv shows

so the sold tickets/capcity was extended to 8127 yet official attendance is 7690??? can someone explain

Reply #469327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The gangsters pawned their tickets for more fly threads.

Reply #469335 | Report this post

Bruce  
Years ago

It is a pretty simple formula to get people to games
1. Have games scheduled at user friendly timeslots
2. Have exciting imports
3. Win, win, win
And don't criticise for fans wearing NBA gear - at least they are supporting basketball - I'd rather that than a Chelsea or arsenal shirt !!

Reply #469343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be honest if you normally get 3-4k to a game and you sell 8k tickets you are probably going to see plenty of new faces

Reply #469347 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Some people are always just going to be casual fans who come and go as they please. Why can't you reconcile with that?

Reply #469353 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Well... we had a packed house for the finals games. Some probably don't even know the first thing about the game.. But so what? Some of them would have loved it and will be back next season. It was an opportunity to show almost 4 thousand extra fans what the game can be like when they turn up

Reply #469357 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

win or lose tomorrow NBL basketball is relevant again in Adelaide.

Reply #469360 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think if you added up the number of fans who attended at least one game this season it would be a lot more than 8000, probably multiples of, so I'm not sure how many "new" 36ers fans were there last night.

A few bandwagoners, a few from past seasons, but mostly the people who have followed them this season all coming on the same night.

Reply #469368 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Paul, correct. There are well over 8,000 fans who have attended at least one game. Not everyone can attend all home games. Work, family and other commitments means that the crowd is not the same each week.

Reply #469370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We had a couple from CLEVE on the Eyre Peninsula next to us who came for their first game. They prob won't be members next season but if they made the effort...…I know plenty of basketball fans who couldn't get tickets who now know the value of a membership for next year. I'm picking a steep rise in the member numbers, especially if we can get Saturday night games to avoid district clash which made a difference last night…

Reply #469373 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Port Power put in a big effort to lift membership numbers last year and this year. At least partly off the back of their good performances last year they've achieved 40,000 members this year I believe? This NBL season's success presents 36ers with an opportunity to engineer a similar lift in season ticket holders next season.

Reply #469463 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If we move to a shiny new stadium in the city it might help :P

Reply #469492 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

We might have the ear of the government. Leon Bignell (Minister for Tourism
Minister for Recreation and Sport) has been kicking around the last few games. Hopefully he sees the benefits of supporting basketball.

Reply #469493 | Report this post

nailna3  
Years ago

Original posting ANON...great topic.

Shows how much you know. BSA postponed games this week so that basketball could be showcased in the state, there are a few thousand tickets. Members bought their tickets and guessing there were 4000 odd in the semi's, there are 2500 odd. So 1600 perhaps people who suddenly became 36ers supporters? possibly! but find me a sport where bandwagoners don't just on a winning team.
C'mon, hit me with one. Perth struggled to get a sellout for game 1 of the GF series according to their website with 1000 tickets left 7 hours before tip off. How long did they have to sell it? Fairweather supporters in that town

Reply #469554 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

As long as you can hold a conversation about the sporting apparel that your wearing then that is all that matters and that makes you cool as shit... Acting like a gangsta lmao in Australia, that shouldn't happen.

I wonder what they pack for heat?

As for the poster, mate I love your enthusiasm but why were you scared to reveal your name on here? Your seeming like your not sticking around for the long haul or are embarrassed to be known as a 36ers member.

So will you guys wear more of the black sixers jersey next season?

Reply #469589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

proud I've lost count the number of times when I've seen someone in a jersey, polo etc. so start a chat about the team apparel they are wearing with their answer back being "I only wear it but don't follow them" after an initial "WTF?!" look as if I'm the weirdo

and I'm not talking purely NBA gangsta types but also EPL, other European football leagues and even a guy in a Sixers polo who didn't follow them

Reply #469830 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:54 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754