Anonymous
Years ago

36ers crowd: Where were 500 people?

According to the report on the NBL website, there were *only* 7700 people there last night. I thought there were 8200 tickets sold? Don't think people will be happy with that after a lot missed out on tickets. Is the NBL site generally accurate?

Topic #34231 | Report this topic

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The NBL site gets their figure from a box score printout at one of the quarter breaks.

Reply #469399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is correct SS but why the discrepancy.

Reply #469401 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Because NBL

Reply #469402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahahahahaha

Mick with a 5 star reply right there

Reply #469403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly #401 that's what I was wondering. I was lucky enough to get a standing ticket. I Definitely didn't see 500 spare seats!

Reply #469405 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

Its called creative accounting .
Buy a product at x wholesale prices ,tell the company paying for it ,it is Z price ,keep y price for your mate to do it for you instead .Same with audience .
8200 bought tickets but attendance is 7700 ...............?

Reply #469419 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Shotclock i dont get what yr saying at all.
It was packed. Joint was rocking and thats what counts!!

Sell out in the west too.

Reply #469422 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Haha nice Mick

Reply #469429 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

There were a couple of spare seats which is odd, why would you buy a ticket and not go. But It looked to me to be more like 8,000 there

Reply #469430 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Isn't a sell out defined when all non-single seats have been sold, or something like that?

Reply #469431 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Ring the owners and I think they will give you the right number!

So glad to see so many people supporting the team and the guys who have endured hard times and made tough calls

Well done SOS ( well what's left)

Reply #469434 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The Situation, one assumes those single seats were sold, the people just did not physically arrive to the basketball to redeem their ticket.

Reply #469439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Faulty ticket scanners would be to blame

Reply #469440 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't know, I've seen plenty of sell outs at Challenge stadium, only to see empty single seats scattered around the place. I can't imagine 500 people wanting to rock up by themselves.

Back in the primitive ticket stub tearing days, capacity was always listed as 4,500 at Challenge. Now that they scan all tickets and passes, I think there is more accuracy in the numbers.

So it sounds like the game was a "technical" sell out but not many people wanted to purchase single seats.

Reply #469441 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The 36ers announced all 8127 seats had been sold a day or two before the game.

I don't think it's unusual for some people who had tickets not to be there though. The AFL GF at the revamped MCG has averaged around 1500 short of a true sellout.

Reply #469442 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't think that's unusual either. What I think is unusual is about 500 or so people purchasing a ticket when they'll be sitting by themselves.

Reply #469447 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Maybe, I suppose. I've always been happy going to games be myself, I don't want someone talking to me while I'm trying to watch the game!

Reply #469449 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

There was standing tickets available at he game, so it was never really sold out. 500 discrepancy is rather odd though, don't think I saw an empty seat however

Reply #469451 | Report this post

James C  
Years ago

The arena was at capacity, hell there was even people watching from the restaurant. NBL have a tendency to get attendance numbers wrong. Just because there isn't someone sitting in the seat doesn't mean their not there.

Reply #469461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Few people sitting next to me in the nosebleed sections of the upper south moved after half time to standing room as it was boiling hot up there with the amazing atmosphere in the building. Unbelievable that it's only a 3 game series, definately deserves to be 5 games at least.

Reply #469481 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

I kinow heaps of people who bought a seated ticket and deceided to sit with their mates instead. The sell out figure I heard was 8,127 so closer to 400 than 500 for the record. Who really cares anyways, big game loud crowd perfect result!

Reply #469486 | Report this post

ClownDog  
Years ago

I had a family ticket for 2 adults and 2 children. But one of my kids is only 10 weeks old, so she sat on Mum's lap and we didn't bother scanning her ticket on the way in. So maybe one of our tickets weren't counted in the attendance figure? I'm sure there weren't 500 families like me, but stuff like that happens which explains the spare seat beside us. Actually there were 2 spare seats for one quarter while the missus went upstairs to feed the little one.

Reply #469489 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Ring the Adelaide Arena. I'm sure that someone there should be able to give the attendance figure.

The actual capacity of the Arena has always been somewhat hard to pin down. When it was opened we were told it had a capacity of 8,000. Then a few years ago it was reported to be 7,800 and later still 7,600.

IIRC Game 3 of the 2002 GF series drew around 7,800, while Brett Maher's last home game attracted 8,200. The first 36ers game I attended, Game 1 of the 1994 Semis against the Tigers, had a reported attendance of 8,000.

What is the actual capacity of the place?

The 36ers website says that it "holds up to around 7,800 fans in courtside boxes, standard seating and elevated corporate suites." While the Basketball SA site says 8,000.

Reply #469498 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

The correct number they can accommodate for would be best to find out from government. Liquor licensing would have it capped at something

Reply #469503 | Report this post

nailna3  
Years ago

the seat behind me was empty but had someone in it all year. guess they were sick or ....I dunno

Reply #469551 | Report this post

Slammin'08  
Years ago

I had 2 empty seets next to my group of 3. Was good as we got some space which helped with the heat! Not sure if they didn't show up or decided to stand for the night.

Reply #469562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WHO CARES - it matters only to Perth who think it is some sort of competition that crowns whoever has the largest crowd as the best supporters and the rest of us are traitors...… End this thread…. It was pretty full, it was loud, everyone was happy (maybe not the REDS), and move on…….

Reply #469568 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I had a ticket but due to delayed flights out of
Melbourne did not get to the Arena until 3:38 left in the 4th quarter, by that time there was no security on the door and I was hauling ass to get in and see what I could so did not scan in, my seat was empty up until that point in the game.

Reply #469598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man that sucks DJ. Feel for you.

Speaking of flights the 500 odd missing apart from DJ were on Malaysian Airlines.

Reply #469821 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:34 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754