Wildcat Fan
Years ago

Grand Final Speeches and Presentation

Just wondering if anyone knows why Fraser Neill didn't make a speech, or the real reason why Larry Sengstock wasn't there to present the medal named after him?

Also why Joey Wright and Trevor Gleeson didn't make a speech? Usually the coaches do.

Sorry if its been discussed elsewhere - there's some really long GF threads and may have been mentioned already.

Topic #34254 | Report this topic

Champions 2014  
Years ago

I was at the game and thought the presentations were disappointing. I know they have time constraints due to the ONE HD broadcast, but I thought the whole thing was very rushed.

A player had only walked halfway to collect his medal before Carfino would read out the next name. Also, as the OP said, Gleeson, Wright and even Beal did not have the opportunity to make a speech.

Reply #470154 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

I would rather have seen the presentation ceremony cut off for the TV viewers and had it continued to a decent length for all the spectators who paid good money. That way it could have included everything, speeches and all. Did the game run overtime or something?

Reply #470157 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

No it didn't run overtime, but like with so many sports nowadays they essentially run to the tv clock. Channel 10 would portion so much airtime to the game which basically has to include presentations etc. If they cant fit it all in, it dosnt get shown. (although its possible it might still be recorded for some reason)

Reply #470184 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I doubt it, given the margin. Assuming they had a 2.5-hour timeslot, which was the case Friday, it would've been wrapped up well before it was supposed to be off-air. Pretty sure they even got the net down before 1.30.

Reply #470185 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

It seemed like the telecast finished earlier than it was supposed to

Reply #470191 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Well they showed plenty of coverage after the game. The nets being cut were partly shown, which is fine as that could get boring seeing every player cut the net!; players mixing with the fans and that type of stuff was shown. I think it was all wrapped up nicely and everything that they needed to show was shown.

Just the speeches were kept to a strange minimum. Its as if they went for a different format this year. Usually there is a speech from the CEO (in the past Kristina Kineally) but this year would have been Fraser Neil.

I don't think it was a TV decision, but rather a decision by the NBL to maybe show less speeches and more 'other stuff' instead.

No player interviews after the game either which was disappointing.

Reply #470197 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

that whole presentations/speeches thing needs to be re done next year.

Reply #470199 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Would have been good to hear Redhage thanking the umpires for all the calls and then apologise to all the great ex wildcat players like Vlahov for the embarrassment of his flops

Reply #470204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The broadcast went it's full 2.5 hours.

Reply #470213 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

that last ad break was crazy....the basketball came back on for 20 seconds then back to another break....no time for interviews just ads.

Reply #470231 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Jake....

And Joe's apology for the punch to Tatalovich?

Where also is Gary's apology to Chris?

Sixer supporters have such short memories.

Reply #470280 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

Good call Marcus.

Reply #470388 | Report this post

Perth fan  
Years ago

To be fair, Gary did finally apologise to Goulding via Twitter... From
memory it was after the tigers lost game 3 and I think before game 1 of grand final.

Reply #470395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibbo's speech was horrible, he said the word "boys" a hundred times amongst other things. He was talking to the crowd as if they were his mates and they were mucking around.

Reply #470428 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Larry will never attend an NBL presentation because of the way he was treated following his termination at BA.

Reply #470450 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Thanks Anon - I thought something like that would be possible. WIth the demerger from BA, wouldn't Sengstock be more willing to return though?

Reply #470453 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Perth Fan...

Ervin apologised to 'all and the ppl that look up to me as a role model.'

That is all.

Reply #470911 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:12 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754