Anonymous
Years ago

Sydney Kings 2014/2015

Besides the re-signing of 'core' players Ben Madgen, Tom Garlepp, Kevin White and Cody Ellis, is there any other news or at least rumors coming out of the Kings camp?
The Sixers and Wildcats selling out home games was great to see but the Kings have a long way to go before those scenes are replicated in Sydney it seems.
A coach? Possible candidates at least?
Free agent targets?
Young 'exciting' prospects?
A public statement of a plan for the future?
Some sort of leadership?
A marketing plan of some sort?
Are these reasonable expectations in this day and age?
Or am I asking and expecting too much by suggesting the above?
Give me something other than the pointless Facebook crap they pump out so regularly.

Topic #34256 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Give me something other than the pointless Facebook crap they pump out so regularly.
I think that's part of the marketing plan...

Really, a marketing plan isn't really your business. Evidence of one more so, and surely their priority right now is coach and roster.

Reply #470235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

forget all the fluff, select a great coach ffs.

Reply #470236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly they don't have a marketing plan. Pay peanuts you get monkeys.

Reply #470240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach is pretty much done and cotter is front running. The team is heading to china in may with eye on finding the 9th and 10th man as well as development spots. I only assume cotter is coaching sydney because he is organising this tour and discussed above with a player who I won't name his intentions. Should be interesting to see the players they are looking at for these positions. Will Gleeson, weeks and Allen be on this tour now Shane heal has left?

Reply #470250 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Beveridge!

Reply #470279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This Cotter guy keeps popping up. Please no.
Gordie. Bevo. Brendan Joyce. Westover. DMac. Somebody.
Then again, what coach would want to take on this team with almost half the roster signed already.
The Heal era was an epic fail, it has set back the club years and management have already proven themselves incompetent on several occasions.

Reply #470308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Heal era was an epic fail, it has set back the club years"

It wasn't a success, but I'm not sure taking the record after returning to the league from 16-34 to 27-35 is an epic fail that set the club back.

Reply #470313 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Especially when they made finals one year and just missed out the next.

Reply #470318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You want an epic fail....look no further than Marty Clarke at the 36ers.

Reply #470335 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Then look at what Joey Wright did with the sixers getting a legit coach makes a difference. If I were kings I would chase Bevo.

Reply #470340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, come on. They made the finals at 12-16. That's ridiculous. That season was a joke - two teams were excellent, the rest of the league was utter garbage. I am so sick and tired of Heal bringing it up as something where he should get the credit for getting them there when in fact the Kings only got in because 4 other teams were barely less crap than they were. They lost 8 straight games at one point in 2012/13 for heaven's sake.

And 'just missed out' this season is almost the same as 12 - this team collapsed in a screaming heap over the last 3 months and lost 8 of their last 11 games.

Heal's tenure was a disaster without a shadow of a doubt. And it has set the organisation back a couple of years at least.

Reply #470341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Lisch will end up at Sydney next season? His wife is from NSW and considering she's had a baby, they might be looking to move back home. And if Bevo ends up coaching at Sydney I'd say that would be further incentive for him to go to the Kings!

Reply #470410 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Has a certain import been cut again from Sydney for next season?

Reply #470413 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Isaac, come on. They made the finals at 12-16. That's ridiculous. That season was a joke - two teams were excellent, the rest of the league was utter garbage.
Losing records in the finals is what will happen when 1-2 teams are very strong. Still, better to be in the finals than not.

As anon said, if you want to talk about a slump, look at the last three years of the 36ers. That wasn't finals and almost finals, that was dead last and almost dead last.

Reply #470414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal's life has become an epic fail, in business and basketball. Acts like such a douche so it's karma at work.

Reply #470433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Celebrating Mediocrity' should be the new team slogan. At least I would respect the honesty. From top to bottom, on court, off court, everything is average in a city that is extra ordinary. The worst aspect of it all is that nobody gives a rats arse anymore.

Reply #470526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball is a tough sell in Sydney. Period. There's just too much going on. Summertime, beaches etc. Add to that general Sydney ignorance combined with an underperforming team and there isnt much to get excited about. Then story lines like, a player showing up unbeknown to the player who about to get fired, then later, the same player being re-signed in the same season. NBA star joins the team and they go on a losing streak. Heal's childish resignation before getting the flick. Poor crowds. Just wreaks of unprofessionalism and frankly it has been an embarrassment to the game.

Reply #470550 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Hard to disagree with a lot of that last post, although in fairness, the Sanders situation was management driven and by all accounts, even by Sanders himself, was handled very professionally on a personal front... You have a chance to get an ex-NBA player, you sort of have to grab it, I just think they chose the wrong player to bring on board and they of course chose the wrong player to let go...

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, it's hard to fix the problem when the problem starts at the top... Unprofessional and often incapable owners/management doesn't breed a positive situation that encourages the best quality personnel to join the organisation. I think a few peoples hearts are in the right place, wanting to get an NBA player and actually spending the money. Just the execution and the choices surrounding that were really stupid...

A stupid choice would be expecting Brian Goorjian to come back and hiring a sub-par coach in the meantime... Being quoted as possibly signing a "caretaker coach" in the meantime, when they were in the hunt for the best coach that they can get, was just stupid. They need to get a high quality coach and trust them to build and run the team, with no drunken owner interference.

Get the right coach, especially before the free agent open season period starts, and you can start rebuilding a quality team that the city can get behind^. Starting with high quality local talent.

I keep saying it, but they need to target Damo, Cadee, and another local quality big to help Tommy out. My pick would be to get Petrie away from Adelaide, but Wagstaff could be tempted away and having a big that can shoot from outside would be nice. Bring in local boy Angus Brandt who had a solid college career and groom him long term. We really need the support staff behind the team to get the most out of our players. Perth brought in Nielsen to work their bigs, where was that level of support for our guys?

^ - this of course requires the Kings management to get off their arses and actually do some promotion other than facebook posts. While they're in the city proper, they need to maximise the benefits. Get people knowing about the game beforehand, there's absolutely NO city presence from them in the area during the season. People walking two blocks from the stadium down the main street of the city would have no idea there is a game on that evening. Bring in more than the one pub, get two for one ticket deals flooding the city, do whatever it takes to get people in the door and let the quality product sell them on coming back. Better to have half the empty seats taken up on half priced tickets and have a better atmosphere than having a half full stadium barely making any noise.

Get the right players, get an exciting product and once the people are through the door, there is a higher chance that they will return...

Reply #470583 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

They have been a bit of a debacle - surely they are capable of better results with the right people in place, both on and off the court. Another team with potential that eventually simply passed unrealised.

Reply #470587 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Game day entertainment looks terrible when comparing to the Wildcats, whilst I'm not trying to kick the violets when they are crumbling again... Hopefully during this off season teams can talk about game say entertainment amongst themselves and hopefully improve the spectacle.

I don't really see how Hammer is to blame, when he's on your team then you love him, when he's not then you love to abuse the fuck out of him. He is a polarizing character and everyone on this forum is basically saying they don't see him improving.

Good luck to Shane, I reckon he will be more successful than the Kings in the next 5 years.

The kings owners are destroying themselves

Reply #470589 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

The kings owners are destroying themselves

Agree... they need to pull their heads in and their fingers out...

I've been fairly ok with Hammer's coaching period up until the latter half of the season and certainly by the end of it... He's certainly not to blame for Young/Carmouche/Sanders mess, and some credit to him must be given for being able to get Sanders back after dealing with him properly... I think though if it had been another non-God fearing/forgiving man, they might have told the Kings to fuck off though...

That concession being made though, Hammer lost most of the team by the end of the season, whether by his inability to adapt during games or to figure out plays/train them to get the ball to the right person at the right time (AJ had more games where he had 6 shots or less than he had more) and adapt to teams changing it up... I thought he was good to come in and fight hard, but when the chips were down, he didn't have what it takes.

Kings need a proven experienced head coach now and the owners/management to put their trust in him and to get on with promoting the team and getting bums on seats...

Reply #470622 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

who would you like to see coach the kings next season Wookie?

Would you go for one of the championship coaches currently not in the league, Bevo, Smyth, Westover, Black?

Reply #470624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Damo leave the Cats for the Kings? Stop teasing yourselves Kings fans. Your organization is a basket case.

Reply #470626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only one person for this job and his name is BRIAN GOORJIAN.
Stop being so stingy and pay the man what he is worth. You brought out an NBA guy who slept walked through most of the season, pay top dollar for someone with passion and a world class basketball mind.

Reply #470628 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

I reckon Goorj is way out of the price range and would cost way more than Sam Young did, last i heard him interviewed on the radio/podcast he said he was happy in China and not looking to return to the NBL, so i doubt he is really an option.

Reply #470629 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@jonno - Bevo would obviously be top of my list for a lot of reasons, but it's been talked about that he's not interested already, so he's out of contention, unfortunately... He's not to be blamed of course, the organisation IS a basketcase and not one of those "looks good on the surface" ones either... They'd be kidding themselves if they think every coach currently in the league or any coach following the league didn't see that mess with Hammer getting abused by one of the minority owners from his corporate box and thought "thank God I'm not coaching them!"

I have to admit though that rating coaches of the past isn't a strength of mine, so I wouldn't be able to say whether Smythe, Black or Westover would be any good, although I think I would cringe if Westover was considered, but more from a personal perspective, I think he's a bit of a dick... I enjoyed watching him lose his head during timeouts when he was coaching the Tiggers, but doubt I would like it if he was a Kings coach... All three WOULD be preferable to someone who hasn't (recently) been an NBL-level head coach for a number of seasons though...

Gorj still has a season left in China and he's on SO MUCH more money than what would get him back into the NBL, so like has been suggested with us getting over getting Damo (which I'm not going to let go until he re-signs with Perth!) we need to let Gorj go...

Reply #470636 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

If Bevo gets the HC role I would fully expect Damo to cash in and move back to Sydney. He has been playing on a discounted rate for Perth for a few years now.

Reply #470638 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Yea, im not a Kings fan, but considering it doesnt look like Bevo or Goorj are coming id be trying to get Smyth.

The tightening up of the physical play will suit his teams, as he plays a free flowing style, with good defense but not an overly physical style of play, and some of his teams, especially his later/cheaper teams struggled to play against it, but his style won out when he had guys like Mee, Brooks, etc on his roster. His free flowing style of play is also attractive to watch and if he gets the right talent he will win more than he loses, i also think he would get a fair bit out of a guy like Sam Young too, he seemed to get the most out of his imports, regardless of there supposed attitude,etc remember guys like KB, Farley, Hodge were knocked by people at various points, but all usually did really well under Smyth and he also was good at picking imports and players in general most of the time, when he had good amount of resources to work with.

Plus he is a 3 time championship coach, not many of them floating around, if he were in the AFL with his record, he would be seen as a Paul Roos type imo.

I reckon for a guy like Smyth to be successful, theyd need to give him his budget, a decent budget at that and let him do his thing, he was at his peak when this was the case, the decline in his stint at the 36ers was when management got more involved and also he didnt end up with as much resources to recruit with as he did in the early days, if the owners mucked around with the roster too much the good coaches wont be interested in the job and would soon get frustrated and want out.

Reply #470641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In terms of game plan it seems that Smyth may have been a little ahead of his time in terms of not playing a twin tower lineup and getting up a lot of threes. Also, pushing the break and taking layups when available. His laid back style would also work well with players of today.

He'd be at least a great senior assistant (offensive coordinator) to a Damien Cotter or other less experienced coach. Kind of like Mark Harvey with Hird or lawrence frank and Jason Kidd (not the best example of that type of relationship working).

Reply #470642 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Out of interest, (and because I have no clue) WHO are the owners of the Sydney Kings? Is it some Hedge Fund? A Bendat style overlord? Do they own other sporting teams?

Reply #470644 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I think if you're in a position to hire someone like Smyth, you'd make him HC, not an assistant...

If his reviews are as mentioned above, then yeah, he'd be great, also, technically an ex-King, so there's that... Good basketball brain, enough experience and credentials to hopefully demand and get no interference from the owners, with hopefully enough contacts to bring in some more quality players...

But like everything, it's all a matter of whether the management want and have thought of him and whether Phil would consider the move (not sure what he's got going on at the moment) and whether they'd be offering the right amount of money...

Getting the coach right is the first and probably most important decision they've got to make, and they can't be tight with the purse strings either...

Reply #470645 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Matthew - I think the Kings ownership is a consortium of business people. I heard a few former Razorbacks 'people' are involved, but not sure to what extent. Certainly no Bendat type overlord there.

David Koch is a very minor owner, but probably their most high profile person from their ownership group. Don't know how much say he has in the running of the team however...

Reply #470646 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Another thing is Smyth had Madgen as a 36ers development player before he went to college, and from all reports Smyth was big on him and im pretty sure i heard Smyth mention going out to watch him at a state league game once he returned from college, (Smyth wasnt even coaching the 36ers at the time) so that suggests there relationship was ok aswell.

I reckon you give Smyth a line up of

Sanders (good defensive player, humble, runs the offense)
Madgen (good scorer/shooter)
Young (good all round player, has good size and athleticism)
Garlepp
Hard working C who hussles hard at both ends

And atleast 2-3 good bench players

you would atleast make the playoffs,

although Sanders, Madgen, Young are not as good as Mee,Maher, Brooks in there day, but they could work well together in a similar way, as they do have a similar style of play and strengths and weaknesses, i reckon both Madgen and Young would flourish in a Smyth offense.

Yea i agree Wookie, make him head coach, and it comes down to if owners want him and if he wants to coach and is willing to go the the Kings.

Reply #470649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Smyth would recruit more 3 point shooting then that lineup (Beal/Rot/etc instead of Sanders).

That lineup has Madgen as the only player that can knock down shots and even his shot wasn't money during the first half of the season.

Reply #470650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti is saying its Damian Cotter. God help us. How do these idiots sell this guy to the fans? Do they want to average 1500 people next season?

The way this franchise is going there won't be a team in Sydney much longer. At least, not one with such bloody incompetent ownership.

Reply #470980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are we in any danger of the Kings acting like a professional organization this week?
A coach being appointed perhaps?
Preferably NOT a guy named Damian Cotter.

Reply #471117 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Last week of "no touchy" for free agents, you'd like to hope that you'd have a coach in place, but I guess you'd also want a proper one, so maybe that could be worth the wait...

So many decisions and moves to make this week and it's currently (at least public facing) a rudderless ship! :(

Reply #471128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DC will be named the new kings coach. And do a fabulous job. His background is in coaching men. Hes one of the best technical coaches in the country. Look for the kings to assemble a decent roster and be highly competitive under DC.

Reply #471130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damian Cotter is not on nickname status yet. Not even initials! He has done nothing. I have never heard of him and have followed the NBL for years. Ordinarily I am happy to be proven wrong but in this case the Sydney Kings organization and the Sydney Kings Brand needs a reputable, professional coach. Not a local, convenient and obviously cheap option. This team is going down the girgler and it will be a matter of time before they collapse again in my opinion.

Reply #471131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should advertise for the job in the Telegraph, at least they would get in the paper lol!
New Sydney Kings coach wanted:
Must currently live in Sydney so we don't have to relocate you because that costs money.
Must be willing to have little to no leverage when it comes to contract negations so that we can pay you as minimal as possible.
Based on the appointment of our last two coaches, experience and winning coaching records are optional.
Must be willing to coach the average core group that have already been signed.
Must be willing to get publicly abused by drunken owners during games.
Must be willing to be unprofessional across the board at every possible chance.
Hair peroxide, tattoos, untucked polo shirts and ankle socks are encouraged to be worn on the sideline by our leader.
Shirt and tie wearing professionals with reputable coaching resumes need not apply.
'Caretaker' coaches are our preferred choice.
Here at the Sydney Kings, we recognize, reward and celebrate mediocrity.

Reply #471133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many experts on Cotter amazing.So little real knowledge of how good a coach is was and is. NBL, hard to say.

Reply #471141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zinger of a post but sadly it is all true. Heal was cringe worthy with that tattoo.

Reply #471148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moose.Bobs boy

Heal cheap bankrupt CHEAP Kings owners option.
Right now all of the Kings rudderless owners are very clearly in a position to send the club into extinction.
FFS Koch is still a (minor) owner and now Pres of an AFL side. CONFLICT OF INTEREST. Tell him to go away. All he does is bask in the glory of the media and being seen to be important, when the reality is he is a financial person who hosts a TV show.
Hudson same, employ your son. If he was that good as an assistant coach after all these years he should be head Coach that will never happen.
Rosen same.
Cotter could do it and as a very successful SEAL coach he can do it. However he inherits a team that the owners have chosen already. One more failed season and the Kings will be doomed.

Reply #471150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings ownership = pure genius.
Employed Robilliard and Heal.
Ex Perth Wildcats and ex Sydney Kings assistant coach has won Coach of the Year in the NBA D League!
Meanwhile, Hudson Jr is safe as houses and rumors suggest that a no name coach will be leading the Kings into it's most vulnerable era yet. Amazing.

Reply #471151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong. Turner employed his mates Moose and Hudson.
Do you know that Hudsons on the board don't you?
Cotter isn't a no name coach at all. Go do some research to find out the success Cotter has had before he moved to Sydney.
Once Wavish left the owners are outta control. No leadership. Too many owners and Koch is part of the problem which most people ignore because he is a c grade celebrity.

Reply #471154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enlighten me. Where has Damian Cotter coached and what has he achieved as a head coach to date? Let's see how he stacks up against the Goorjian's Bevo's Mccloud's Joyce's of the world.

Reply #471167 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

His biggest achievement is that he is AVAILABLE.
It could be,very soon, that not much else matters.

Reply #471173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty simple really if you don't know where Cotter has coached b4 do some research

Reply #471174 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Would all the numbnuts out there please stop questioning Damian Cotter's credentials because you haven't heard of him.

Doesn't take much research to learn that he is the most recent national Junior men's head coach and current number one assistant coach of the National women's team.

He developed 10 players from SEABL into NBL contracts when head coach at Knox - I bet no other coach has done that many - including a 16-year old Tommy Greer who went on the be the 3rd longest serving captain ever at the Melbourne Tigers.

I personally don't think he will be a candidate for the Kings job because I think he will not want to miss out on going to the World Championships and Olympics for his country but thats just me.

To the anon poster, tell me what Goorjian and the others did before they got their first head coaching job in the NBL? I bet it wouldn't be as significant.

Reply #471176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Available and local.
If Cotter is announced as the head coach I can't wait to read how they spin it. 'Great young up and coming coach, how he plans to change the culture, after an exhaustive search' BLAH BLAH BLAH. Give me a break, the guy is here and he's cheap!
The signing of Damian Cotter is going to excite absolutely nobody in Sydney.

Reply #471177 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Kings would have now been knocked back by the priority coaches they tried to attract.
I hope those guys were honest with the club and gave a good account of why they aren't interested.
Kings obviously need some sold cleaning done and that won't happen unless they are made to accept that they are considered toxic as employers.
I have it on good authority that they started interviewing 2 weeks before end of regular season, Heal heard about it and "spat it". Was that the last straw for Shane?

Reply #471180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hammer is 5-0 with the Wellington Saints in the NZNBL. Goes to show that the owners have no idea!

Reply #471182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just shows you how little you know about the politics involved in basketball.
I am seriously having no interest about the NZBL competition what so ever and most people won't.

Reply #471184 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I don't doubt Cotter's credentials, and like someone has said before, very similar to Bevo before he signed on to the NBL, but it's not what the Kings need right now... They need an NBL-experienced coach to regain a lot of respect that has been lost the last few years... They need an experienced coach to be able to run the team that they've been given the controls of and, apart from the few good re-signings so far (Madgen and Garlepp) be able to recruit not just good talent, but some superb talent.

Hammer is 5-0 with the Wellington Saints in the NZNBL. Goes to show that the owners have no idea!

To be fair, he's got a pretty stacked team, doesn't he?

Reply #471186 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

When did Shane actually accept/announce this NZNBL coaching job? It looks like a solid application for the supposed NBL Saints coaching role.
Do all the dates coincide?

Reply #471189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal doesn't even have bj Anthony yet in the nz league

Reply #471190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was during the season which was a joke. Kings management allowed him to take on another job which was more of a joke. No coincidence that things turn to shite after that.

Reply #471200 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If he could see that he was done in Sydney and the owners were messing with what he was trying to do, why wouldn't he line up something else? He is bankrupt here which limits his earnings in Australia. Makes NZ a clearer option.

Standing down before you're sacked or not renewed is hardly unusual in sport.

And while the Kings don't look great for meddling with the team, isn't it their prerogative to run a budget team? What if that's all they can afford and the alternative is back to nothing in Sydney?

(I say all this as someone who doesn't really care about Heal or the Kings, just someone who dislikes entitled fans.)

Reply #471204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed Wookie. And disagree, to an extent.
Agree that they are in desperate need of an NBL experienced head coach. They have lost a lot of respect and credibility in the public eye since rejoining the league in 2010.
All for people getting a start somewhere but now is definitely NOT the time. Another underwhelming season could prove disastrous again, can't imagine the owners (or anyone for that matter) spending more money on such a bad investment. The overheads at the Ent Cent must be very high and I don't see the crowd support offsetting costs a great deal.
Disagree that the re-signing of Madgen and Garlepp being a good thing UNLESS they are willing to come off the bench.
I don't think that you can win with both of those guys being so heavily relied on. Madgen is THE WORST defensive player in the NBL and Garlepp is not too far behind him in the front court. Hard to win games regularly with such bad defenders in key positions.
Madgen gives up at least 20+ to his opposite number every game and Garlepp lacks the physical toughness required at the power forward position.
Ellis is the other power forward and he is far from imposing.
Kevin White is not a good basketball player.
Ogilvy covered up a lot of Garlepp and Ellis' weaknesses but somehow he was not a priority signing.
The imports are going to have to be top quality and who knows what the rest of the roster will look like!? Add to that a rookie coach!?
Far from promising days ahead at this stage.

Reply #471210 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

A common sense response from Isaac, as usual.

Reply #471211 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ogilvy covered up a lot of Garlepp and Ellis' weaknesses but somehow he was not a priority signing.
Two to tango. Can't re-sign him if he wants to go back to Europe. Haven't heard any noise about other teams targeting him which might be telling if he is really an All-Star Five candidate.

Reply #471222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, what you say has a lot of merit. But coming from someone who is a Kings fan, if this is what they want to build (i.e. a low budget, bottom of the barrel team) then I'd rather there be no team at all.

It's not about being an entitled fan. It's about being a fan who has certain expectations of a club that haven't been met from day one since they came back in the NBL. This is not Wollongong or Townsville or Cairns. This is the toughest sporting market in the country, and for this to work, a whole lot more money and a professional attitude needs to come in. Otherwise, it's going to fall down - and we are starting to see that.

The media in this town don't give a crap about the Kings as it is and that's just one of many major problems. I question whether this ownership group really understands what's required.

Shane wasn't a good coach, that much is certain. But I definitely wouldn't blame him for exploring his options when it became obvious that Gardell, Schroder, Dunn and Hudson (the four primary owners) had lost all faith in him midway through the season. Dunn's drunken rant at Heal during a game told you all you needed to know about the situation.

Damian Cotter is an excellent teacher, and has a great basketball mind, but ask anyone involved with the sport in Sydney if he would make a good NBL head coach and you'd hear most people say no. Once again, it's only because he's available and comes cheap.

The fact is, any head coach worth his salt doesn't want to have anything to do with what is a dreadful situation in Sydney at the moment.

Reply #471225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball in Australia would probably be better off without a Sydney team under the current set of circumstances.

Hard to fathom but a budget bottom of the barrel team led by a no name rookie coach controlled by a board of owners who have NFI may well do more harm than good in the long run.

They have been so far off the mark since 2010 that it gives true Kings fans no confidence in the direction these owners are heading.

The Kings are a laughing stock compared to the Sydney NRL teams, the Swans, Waratahs, Sydney FC, the Wanderes and are probably on par or held in the same regard as the Sydney Swifts.

Basketball operates on a smaller budget but Sydney doesn't sympathize. There is too much going on, too much choice. They had a chance to capitalize with a guy like Sam Young. His first home game was a good turn out but the novelty wore off after a while.

They are almost beyond repair at the moment unless someone with very deep pockets comes to the rescue and cleans out these idiots. The writing is on the wall.

The game does well in smaller towns but Sydney people just don't give a stuff these days and that responsibility ultimately falls squarely on ownership.
They go into hiding whenever the going gets tough, it is embarrassing.

Reply #471242 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@bowtie: *kissy kissy suck up noises* ;)

@Isaac: Always funny to hear about being "entitled" from a 36ers fan ;) (not you personally, of course, but this place is full of them!) But seriously folks, yes, it's well within their right to run a budget team, but a coach isn't where you should be skimping... They targeted an ex-NBA player this season just gone, he wouldn't have come cheap, so they're not afraid of spending money, it just has to be spent wisely...

As for Heal, I never had a huge problem with him accepting the NZ role, the reason behind it and the time that it might have taken away from NBL-related prep and stuff would have ranged from minimal to noticeable, depending on his feelings regarding the team at the time... I don't blame him for looking elsewhere after his team was screwed up and he had to shoulder the brunt of the blame publicly...

The icing on the cake for me was him spitting the dummy after the Hawks match and not speaking to his players first. Announcing it that way, when the timing really did nothing and only hindered the team morale was selfish and just a dick move...

@Anon#210: Agree and disagree as well :) I think (and have said before) that the strength of this team will be able to be determined whether or not Garlepp starts or comes off the bench. I'm a huge fan of his and I think he deserves a good chunk of minutes as he's done well with hustle plays and not really having anything run for him, but if we can get someone like Peach (or even Wagstaff), I think having Garlepp off the bench would be that extra depth that we're craving... I think he's got the strength and can certainly match up defensively against the usual 4/5s that are running around the NBL...

Ellis is still a work in progress... more a 3/4, but he's still a bit slow to match those like Weigh... He had some good hustle plays and had his shot in early, but that faded as the season went on... I think with his extra time on court in the SBL with the Senators this off season and a full pre-season training and games, I think he will come good, keeping him was a must, and I hope will pay off and not have him run back home to Perth after 14/15...

Madge I think I sort of agree mainly because his defence suffered at the expense of having to be relied upon to work so hard at the other end... Get a proper play maker, take the pressure off him having to bring the ball up and run point as much (I know Hammer said that Gaze did a lot of that in his career as well, but was still not a fan of the experiment) and have some more well-run scoring options (and USE THEM!) and that will give him more energy to expend on the defensive end... Part of the trouble was he was matching up on bigger SFs, as well... Hopefully he can target that his D was lacking a bit last season and can be his focus after a healthy off-season this time around... I think he's definitely a starter in this league, anyone saying that he's not is a bit weird ;)

If White is used to put on opposing guards defensively and can make that outside shot more consistently, then as a 9th/10th player is a good keep... Does a lot locally and is a Sydney boy... Same with Garlepp though, but to a more extreme level, he needs to be position 9/10, not first off the bench, otherwise the depth is an issue...

AJ wasn't used properly and was the beneficiary of rough treatment at one end and was called for very soft fouls at the other end constantly, so you could tell his frustration getting to him... He was only really ever going to be here for one season, it's just his star started off bright and then sort of fizzled, so I'm not sure if the experiment for him worked... Maybe if we signed Bevo, he could have stuck around, but even after the last game, talking to him, he wasn't keen to come back... I'd love to see him in purple and gold again, under a coach that could get him the ball properly, but I just don't think that will happen...

Reply #471250 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@Isaac: it was talked about that a key factor of him coming back was being able to play in front of family and friends after being OS for so long (and sitting on the end of benches for a large portion of that)

@anons: any talk about rathering no team at all is just ridiculous... I agree with a lot of other points re: ownership though, and it's not always about budget, it's about giving a toss and putting in the hard work doing the little things, being professional, getting the brand out there, not just expecting things to come to you... After Young got here, I didn't see anything pushing him other that on social media, which is a waste as you're already preaching to people that follow you... Getting new faces and bums on seats to games last season was where the management REALLY fell over... No promotion, no creativity with where they are located on the middle of the city... that's what is REALLY frustrating me as a Kings fan...

Reply #471252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookie - stop making excuses for Madgen. He is a very, very poor defender. Against guards and small forwards. He is a liability on the defensive end. Opposing coaches target him repeatedly. Plain as day! I recall a guy like Jason Smith, he wasn't always effective on the offensive end but he made life hell for his opposite. You get zero out of Madgen on the defensive end and I don't see him being as effective offensively in a system where every play is run for him like it was with Heal.
Garlepp would be ideal as a back up, then what do you do with Ellis?
Ellis was a jump shooting big guy. Didn't really show me a whole lot else over the course of his half season.
Refuse to buy into White being a good defender. He is simply out there. If he was this so called defensive stopper, every backcourt in the NBL would not have had their way with ours. Madgen, Harvey, White were continually driven past our guards and were largely responsible for getting Ogilvy into foul trouble.
Massive DICK move by Heal resigning after the Hawks game with just one game to go the next night.
As for no Sydney team, some very valid points but the NBL needs a Sydney team and it needs them to be successful but they have a lot of ground to make up.
What are the plans with Harvey? Will he be back? If he is, then exactly half of an underperforming team will be re-signed.
Brad Hill? I assume he won't be back.

Reply #471271 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I'm agreeing that Madgen wasn't a good defender (most of the time) but the same has been said about Rotnei and other offensively minded players... I'm saying that there were glimpses of him being able to get there if he makes it a focus... I agree that Harvey was a real big liability on D, one of the reasons (despite him being a nice guy off court) why I think it would be a big problem if he was retained...

I talked to Harvs after the final game and he said that there was an offer on the table, but he didn't know what he was doing... He said that if he played anywhere, it would only be with Sydney, nowhere else... I had to fight hard my reflex action of :O as this would be terrible to get an offer out there so early... Great guy off court, really nice, great with fans, always up for a chat, but he's way too injury prone and such a liability on D it's not funny... The trouble with owners acting before thinking... White and Harvey were two guys that weren't going anywhere anyways, and could have waited until later...

White is a work in progress, but I think this will be his last season to either pick up his D and/or get a much more consistent outside shot as he gets left open a LOT...

Brad Hill, more him being underused, was a great disappointment this season... It started off well but it was like he'd banged Hammer's missus once Young came in... The fact that he'd come in for 5 or so mins and put up some great numbers and then not be seen again was a mystery... I doubt he will be back, and anyways, you'd possibly want an import to possibly fill that spot, so he'd no doubt be looking elsewhere...

Reply #471308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Hill went from 40 point pre season games and hitting buzzer beaters to DNP's.

Reply #471336 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

But coming from someone who is a Kings fan, if this is what they want to build (i.e. a low budget, bottom of the barrel team) then I'd rather there be no team at all.
Sounds a bit selfish to me. Even a cheap team can get out there in schools to promote the sport and build a love for the game.

Wookiee, yes, entitled Clarke-era Sixers fans is where I'm coming from.

Hill's big output before the drop off was mirrored in Cairns and also with Ben Allen each season. I suspect it comes down to team defensive schemes and ability to remember and stick with them.

Going with Cotter if Bevo and Goorjian tier coaches are available is one thing, but if those two aren't realistic then gambling rather than crossing your fingers with someone a level down isn't suicide. Just don't lock them in for three years...

Reply #471340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said Isaac. So true.

Kings fans wing about not having an extremely professional team etc. however at least they have a team. there are many fans in areas across the country that want nothing more than their region to have an NBL side or their NBL side back in the competition.... so at least the kings have a team and seem somewhat sustainable.

Reply #471347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal took the NZ job because he was told he wasn't allowed to do what he wanted to do with the team for next season. The Kiwi job is a no brainier as he is in prime position to possibly coach another NBL soon. Less dickhead management too which is an added bonus.

Reply #471354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Isaac - yes, a cheap underachieving team can still get out there and spread some hoops love but if a team is so poorly mismanaged and eventually folds for a second time, that too is a selfish act in my opinion.

Let's be honest, to be financially involved with an NBL team in recent times there has to be a very high level of passion possessed by that person (or people in this case) who have a lot of money that they are willing outlay and they probably shouldn't expect an immediate return on investment, if ever - hardly a savvy business decision in my opinion, especially in Sydney.

If the owners got involved to profit finically then perhaps they should have done better research and you'd think that it will only be a matter of time before they cut their losses.

If the owners didn't whole heartedly embrace the responsibility associated with resurrecting the Kings and running a professional sports team in a very competitive Sydney sporting market then they probably shouldn't have done so.

Reply #471358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on!

Reply #471389 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

(Last two posts from the same IP.)

Reply #471399 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"yes, a cheap underachieving team can still get out there and spread some hoops love but if a team is so poorly mismanaged and eventually folds for a second time, that too is a selfish act in my opinion."
So in order to avoid folding, they should just fold? Makes sense.

Reply #471402 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

How about CJ Bruton as assistant/or head coach for Sydney?

Reply #471408 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Its pretty crazy to suggest there should be no Sydney team. Logically there should be a team for every capital state city in Aus. Whilst I dont agree that the Sydney team MUST be successful to have a strong league it dosnt hurt if they are strong.

What is needed though is a connection with the local fanbase. Many teams engage with their local schools, hold camps.. clinics etc. its all about letting the kids know who the players are, see that there is a path to play the sport professionally, to keep fit and active and to put the brand in the community so its in the minds eye.

In another thread someone said 'but Sydney is too big for that'. Melbourne is also geographically a big city, Perth extends out a long way too. Both these teams seem to cover it okay. Clubs need to put such activities into the players contract when they sign up... and that player might change their minds and not do so.

Reply #471409 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Sydney is too big, get out to the schools you can. Or run free holiday clinics/events where the interested parties come to you rather than you going out to them.

Reply #471415 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Exactly Isaac. Bring the kids to you.

Ive never liked the whole 'But that wont work in Sydney, its too hard to get around' mentality. If you organise an event and give everyone enough notice, people will be able to get there.

If a team makes the effort, generally the people coming to those camps will too.

Reply #471417 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@Matthew: The Kings are really active in the community, even still during the off season... Madge even has his own charity that he is involved with that brings up to 40 kids that are in hospital long term (and their families) to each home game, so any talk about the link to the community not being there (in this thread or others) is pretty bollocks and you're not really grasping the point of the most recent discussion... I agree that the league doesn't need the Kings to be strong to be strong itself, but we're not talking about the league here, we're talking about what the Kings need to do to be successful...

As for Sydney being too big, it's not just about size (and really, the only city that even comes close is Melbourne, (in population, physical size, and competition from other sports) it's about what else is going on. Sydney is predominantly an NRL city, with more than a handful of teams and a BIG head start forming the culture in the hearts and minds of fans. Unlike AFL which is a faster paced, more athletic game than NRL, there are no similarities between NRL and basketball that a lot of fans of NRL can be convinced will be enjoyable to them...

This is in no way the singular excuse as to why fans aren't turning up, it's just a reason that most other teams don't have to face in the uphill battle to promote their team in a league suffering from a lack of identity and popularity...

Looking back at the history of crowd attendance, the height of attendance saw hardly any post-season success, but they had the right people in the front office, and exciting players on the court... Half a decade of resting on their laurels saw them get lazy and with the departures of some key personnel, crowds started to dwindle. Enter the Glory Years of post season and championship success... Crowds went from a high 7-8,000 average (roughly) at the first championship win to drop by about 1,000-1,500 with each championship... Things went busto for a couple of seasons, WSR tried (and failed) to bring the whole of Sydney together with the disastrous renaming adventure. The team wasn't THAT bad, they beat BG and his Dragons in a blinder, they had a bunch of great young players (Damo, Knight, Rush) and some work horses in Peach and Gruber with some tidy imports, but the front office/management/owners failed them...

So the Kings returned... They had a VERY budget team, a bright light in the form of local boy done good Khazzouh who would dominate the league on his switched on games, but the team suffered from getting the nod late in the off season and not a lot of talent was around to put many wins on the board. But at least there were a few people in the front office that were working hard and the team, despite a horror run of losses, were putting in the effort and the crowds were responding (as much as the often "sitting on hands" Sydney crowd can get), but again, key front office personnel left (some voluntarily, some not) and things started to get messy...

Melbourne have gotten good crowds (not counting the "sell outs" as what's the capacity, 3500?) but when they went to the bigger stadium, the owners and FO knew they had to work harder and they did. And the crowds came. Sure, they were given handouts to tell them how to cheer and abuse other players, but still, the effort was there by the off court people. THIS is the key area that the Kings need to work on, and where they are suffering the most. Madgen is the only player left from the original rebirth team, he's very active in the community and is the face of the team. An exciting player (offensively *nods to anon*) and other than the imports, is the singular player that fans come to see (if the crowds waiting in line for him after the game to get things signed is anything to go by). His re-signing was vital. They need some more exciting talent (think Jerai Grant with a better shot) and some experience and leadership both on court and on the side lines and probably most important, the owners to pull their heads in, plain and simple. It's a business and you don't get what you want by sitting back and waiting for it to happen, as trust me, while the support from the media might not be there, if it fails in Sydney, they will be lining up to put the boot in to not just the Kings, but the NBL...

Reply #471421 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

If Sydney is too big, get out to the schools you can. Or run free holiday clinics/events where the interested parties come to you rather than you going out to them.

It's exactly what they DO do, both during the season and currently, during the off season... They've got some great support from ALl Sorts Sports where they have a dedicated basketball "factory" that they run a lot of their clinics out of, especially during the off season...

Reply #471422 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Ive never liked the whole 'But that wont work in Sydney, its too hard to get around' mentality. If you organise an event and give everyone enough notice, people will be able to get there.

When it takes anywhere from 90mins to 2hrs to get from one side of the city to the other, that's easier said than done...

Reply #471423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's going to get harder when the Entertainment Centre is getting a revamp over the next couple of years.

Need to find a way to stay relevant in a competitive media and sporting/social market.

Reply #471424 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

I'm not sure, but I think what people are suggesting here is at least trying to be implemented in Sydney.
I think they're going OK, it's a hard gig and the management know it, but are onto it.

Remember this is a long term proposition to get the game back up and running, not short term fixing.

Look at how bad the 36ers were going over the last 3 years, but some changes and new idea's and things look different.

Don't all be doom and gloomy.

Wookie is passionate, and it's great to see!

Reply #471427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, here we are, first of all, need a coach!
Free agent targets?
Ervin or Wilson as possible imports at point guard?
Any good college players returning to Aus this year?

PG Import? ?
SG Madgen White
SF ? ?
PF Garlepp Ellis
C ? ?

Reply #471431 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

It's going to get harder when the Entertainment Centre is getting a revamp over the next couple of years.

Exactly... They're not making the most of their time in the city as it is (marketing/promotional stuff around the city/public transport to get the city workers to games, no two-for-one deals around the pubs, the only deal they've got is at the Pumphouse and that is only for AT the Pumphouse, no motivation to get to games) imagine what it will be like when they have to move to whatever the SSC is called these days with no food venues for people to go to first, and what will be a huge pain in the arse for the city people to get to on a weeknight game (feeling some of the pain that Western Sydney fans have had to go through currently, granted) which will make things even more unappealing to fans...

Need to find a way to stay relevant in a competitive media and sporting/social market.

They get SO MANY different sports greats to games.. Keogh who is (still?) the CEO of the Cronulla Sharks, Glen McGrath is a huge fan, lots of other NRL identities, they had Paul Roos connected to players/coaches when he was here but didn't make any use of that, there's no ties to other sporting codes (I voiced an idea years ago when they first came back to get into bed with the Swans to make the most of their huge supporter base (and even training facilities?) and try to get their off season fans to games, but nothing... then not even 3 months later, there's an announcement of the Swifts netball team, Swans and I think Roosters(?) all forming a big relationship... Opportunity wasted... Also, when the MLB was over here, they had the Roosters, Sydney FC and some other team in a big "sporting codes of Sydney" photo op... Kings nowhere to be seen... These things don't cost money, they cost effort and someone who knows what they're doing. Someone with some connections in the sporting world... Mark Geyer (ex-NRL player) from the Grill Team (Triple M) has come to a few games, he's on a very well-known radio program, HUGELY focused on NRL, but opportunity wasted to get some people who are influential to a broad range of sports fans to maybe think about coming to games in their primary sports off season... Bob Turner was great for the team (made some suss/emotionally driven recruiting changes) but he was pushed out, now he's doing his best for the Sydney Baseball team (whatever they're called) and no doubt had his hand in getting MLB out here...

I'm not sure, but I think what people are suggesting here is at least trying to be implemented in Sydney.

Have to agree to disagree on that one... Fans here that are coming to games notice the very small amount of effort that is put in around the city to try and get people to games, it's just not there. It's just a strange contrast that they'd try to seek out and get an ex-NBA player, which is a GREAT thing, and then botch the whole thing by an owner demanding the teams ONLY PG is cut for him, not the surplus (and mostly useless) shooting guard! They spent all this money on the team, but lack the effort to try and get a return on their investment... mind boggling!

Remember this is a long term proposition to get the game back up and running, not short term fixing.

Look at how bad the 36ers were going over the last 3 years, but some changes and new idea's and things look different.

I think most people know that and it's not going to happen over night, but no-one can see anything happening...
As someone outside of ADL, what was different with the team this season other than Joey coming on board? Was there anything different in the approach from management (serious question)

Free agent targets?
Ervin or Wilson as possible imports at point guard?
Any good college players returning to Aus this year?

Replacing AJ will be difficult, that level of big men quality is really hard to find, let alone convince to come play NBL... The key to recruiting good talent is a great coach, but see above comments regarding THAT topic...

I'm well on the record with the wish list of a star quality PG (Damo) and another top level big (Peach, or even Wagstaff if he's looking for more playing time) but bringing Cadee back home would be a good score too... Free up being able to bring in a combo guard and give Jason some more responsibility and work on all that potential... With Ellis on board that sort of takes Hill out of the equation (unfortunately) and it all depends if we can lure some top aussie talent over as to what slots the imports would fill...

Corey Maynard has signed on with Daniel Moldovan who reps a lot of NBL guys, but I would REALLY love to see is Angus Brandt... Local boy, legit big, coming off a pretty good season, I think would really excel here... His little bro was a DP this season just gone, hopefully he doesn't have bad things to say about us as I don't think he got any game time...

I think we should stay away from both GE and Wilson... In theory Ervin would be ok, but he just seems like such a douche... COuple of seasons ago I'd have said totally, but I think we can do just as good without all the baggage... Wilson I think is more a shoot first than facilitator and we REALLY need the latter...

Reply #471447 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

A big difference in some clubs new successes is that their PR people actually chase up the promotions, not wait for the calls/letters.
Know your city and know where the other sports are being promoted and seen. Follow the trail....

Reply #471458 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As someone outside of ADL, what was different with the team this season other than Joey coming on board? Was there anything different in the approach from management (serious question)
Some player changes and change in coach. Marketing didn't seem to change much, newsletters were just as infrequent and verbose as usual, social media still underdone. There were a few happy hour ticket sales which were a great idea but no real change in pricing otherwise (as Wollongong did to rejuvenate their crowd figures). News coverage on TV didn't seem better going by what people were saying online.

I'd guess the biggest factors to be a good style of play, a winning team and then Boti doing his thing. Some credit for the first two at least should be due to SOS making it happen with their recruiting. If Boti wasn't around, I don't think the Sixers would have anywhere near the amount of coverage in the papers.

Sydney could mimic team and coach with recruiting and money, but the media issue is probably a fraction tougher.

Interesting to think about where Perth's success has come from. I wasn't paying attention previously but I'd say their now-excellent social media comes from adding staff after the successful move to Perth Arena or whatever it's called. But back then consistently winning was one thing and they seemed to have decent media support.

If I were Sydney, I'd be running pro and sticking with it no matter what (always premium press releases, photo ops and so on) and then run some loss-leading efforts to woo media. Put on food/drinks for any media opps, run tailored behind the scenes opps for particular people and so on. Make the targets feel special/appreciated in a genuine way.

Reply #471471 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Wildcats' success can be attributed to:

1. The branding of Red in the last 5-6 years, which included the last few years at Challenge Stadium, and that helped create a fantastic atmosphere there, when it was a bit dead prior to that.

2. An intense Community programme that is built into each players contract. If they don't like it, they can leave. Apparently the Cats don't hold back with clinics, camps etc...

3. Winning.

4. A good media relationship with Channel 10, The West and Nova. Not so great with Channel 7 and 9, but then no club is. The social media push has been excellent, and has made up for lack of mainstream coverage. (Cats have 42,000 FB fans, for whatever thats worth)

5. A deep pocket owner willing to spend good money to bring success on an off the court.

6. A superb new arena that has truly revitalised the club

7. A CEO that knows what he's doing and does it well.

8. A large staff of paid professionals and passionate volunteers.

Reply #471473 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The community involvement (camps, clinics, visiting schools) is a no-brainer.

Every team should do it just as much as Perth. It's cost-effective (or free i.e. visiting a school down the road with a basketball and some stories) and it gets the community behind the team, which either means more fans or stronger sponsorship and local business support. There is no excuse for not having the level of community involvement that Perth does.

The "lack of time" argument doesn’t hold up - NBA players manage to get a lot of time in thanks to the “NBA Cares” program. And their programs would be much more time-consuming (shootaround, video, media) and throw in the travelling and crazy schedule.

Reply #471476 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

adelaide management told us that clarke was gone and they'd look for a new coach and re sign gibson and weigh. gibson said that he'd wait to see who was coach. later, joey could get ervin, but weigh was so expensive, we couldn't have ervin here. later, joey was reported and there was more media than ever, which continued, as we were in finals, which sydney wouldda been if they had joey

Reply #471479 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

A big difference in some clubs new successes is that their PR people actually chase up the promotions, not wait for the calls/letters.
Know your city and know where the other sports are being promoted and seen. Follow the trail....

Putting in some effort, what a creative solution ;) Along with so much competition for the dollar in Sydney, that can actually work in their favour too in that there are so many options to get the brand out there as well... Just need to think outside the box and put some time into it...

Some player changes and change in coach. Marketing didn't seem to change much

I guess winning helps as well... Crowds were still ok when they were losing, but when things are more positive, it certainly helps the vibe in the stadium to be more conducive to getting fans tempted to go and to keep coming back...

Sydney could mimic team and coach with recruiting and money, but the media issue is probably a fraction tougher.

Yeah, having Boti on board and having constant articles in everyone's face is a HUGE bonus. It doesn't help that all the key journos in Sydney are either NRL or Cricket (*makes yawning motions*) centric. Hell, we can't even have basketball on the the Daily Telegraph sports menu, we're hidden away under "More Sports"!

If I were Sydney, I'd be running pro and sticking with it no matter what (always premium press releases, photo ops and so on) and then run some loss-leading efforts to woo media. Put on food/drinks for any media opps, run tailored behind the scenes opps for particular people and so on. Make the targets feel special/appreciated in a genuine way.

Yeah, this is where I was getting at before, and have suggested many times in the last few seasons, they need to get the influential media types at games, bring their families, put them in boxes if needs be, the kids LOVE games, get the Lion to squirt that silly string at them, get them on that cringe-worthy bongo cam, they'll eat it up and the parents should feed off that excitement. Again, won't happen over night, but need to change the minds of the people spreading negative thoughts ("it's an american game", "it's wussy compared to NRL") throughout the media...

Perth is an interesting situation as I'm not really up on how much competition there is for other sports both at grass roots and professional levels, but surely constantly being on the winning end of games, in the playoffs for 28 straight seasons is a huge part of that. Having a Richie Rich owner willing to put in the cash off the court as well as on (Perth have the biggest support staff as well as best facilities, I would wager) really helps as well. He demands success, but knows it's not a short term thing (even though he doesn't look like he's got much time left!) and having a CEO that understands the business side of things and is passionate about getting it right is something that the Kings really need to try to mimic. There's actually been some pretty successful business people involved over the last few years, but for some reason, they haven't worked out or lost interest or just not done a decent job, very very frustrating...

Reply #471481 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

i'd guess clarke's crowd was about 4,500 , and joey's about 5,500

Reply #471482 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

..about 5,500 to be viable ADL

Reply #471484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where possible, Kings ownership/management need to follow the Wildcats model. 3 years back, 3 losing seasons, waning crowds and a lot of negative publicity, especially this past season.
Obviously they are going to have to spend money to make money!
On court success will most likely be the biggest immediate stumbling block unless some serious talent and a good coach is brought in.
Media relationships must be strained because they don't rate anymore, rarely get a mention in the paper nor do they make the news.
It is so disappointing when sports like the NRL that aren't even in competition at the time and are seemingly always involved in controversy get so much more coverage. NBL players rarely get themselves in 'trouble'. I personally get sick of reading or hearing about NRL players on the booze and acting as though they are above the law.
The Entertainment Centre undergoing reno's will definitely be problematic.
Lots of boxes to tick but they should probably start with a coach!

Reply #471485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when will the coach be announced?

Reply #471486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People need to understand. The Sydney Entertainment Centre is NOT being renovated. It's being torn down to make way for apartment buildings as part of the Darling Harbour redevelopment.

The place that's being built as a replacement is NOT suitable for basketball in the mooted configuration. It's a fan-shaped amphitheatre and they won't be able to fit a court in there. The current ownership has ZERO pull with the state government so there's virtually no chance they can influence them or the developer (who BTW owns Acer Arena and wants the Darling Harbour building just for the smaller/medium concerts) to change the plans to something that is more suitable to basketball.

Take it as read - the Kings will be back in Homebush from the 2015/16 season. There's nowhere else in Sydney to play. It will be a mix between the Sydney Olympic Park Sports Centre and the Superdome (for the bigger games).

Just one of many problems with an organisation that is an embarrassment right now both on and off the court.

PS Wookie - normally I pay no attention to your inane fanboy drivel, but I am sick to death of your constant prattling that ownership was solely responsible for the Young/Sanders/Carmouche situation. That is utterly and patently false. I have no love for the ownership myself, but I get tired of people who know NOTHING of the situation constantly getting it wrong on forums like these. So please, stop embarrassing yourself with this crap.

Reply #471487 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

I think we would all like to know the truth re the Kings' problems.
Are you not able to give us the true picture?

Reply #471489 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

lol... finally some Anon hate! I was wondering how long it would take... Although I think I've been more critical of the organisation than most on here... but to each their own...

What I've heard from people close to the situation was that an owner made the decision on which player was cut. I'm by no means the only one saying this, but please feel free to post a proper rebuttal instead of pulling out the usual "you don't know crap" bullshit...

Reply #471490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would love to be a fly on the wall in a Kings meeting. Almost every decision they have made recently has been the wrong one. A classic case of too many chefs in the kitchen and not one of them have a clue!

Reply #471492 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Obviously they are going to have to spend money to make money!
I think that's what will keep the Wildcats successful but I don't know that it was a big part of what made them successful enough to afford the latter.

25 staff, red t-shirts on every seat, premium game night and all that - seems to me like that came after.

Prior to that, they had minimal disruption from ownership issues, stayed relevant and successful on court every year and made good decisions on key players and the coach.

In those times and for off court things, I'd say strategy and effort are incredibly important. Yes, you don't want to go cheap, but you can get results being shrewd over paying your way through everything.

One example is the Wildcats social media versus the 36ers social media. It seems that the Wildcats had someone travelling with the team giving them more photos to work with, but for promos and home games there is no excuse. The 36ers miss loads of opportunities and are very inconsistent on Twitter and you don't need to spend a lot to do better.

Reply #471507 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Owners making the decision to bring in Young seems to be the way it was.
It seems they gave Heal the choice of which import to sack. Thanks guys for passing the buck that way.
What a great relationship between the coach and his bosses. You can't blame Heal for leaving but you can blame him for the unpro way he handled the rest of the team after Young got there.

Where are all the coaches going to come from when we get Tas, Bris and NZ(2) involved? I expect Goorjian will be back in 2 years. He's only 1 coach.

Reply #471518 | Report this post

Carcus  
Years ago

Some dildo said, "Where possible, Kings ownership/management need to follow the Wildcats model." So is that the Wildcats model that has been subsidised by a wealthy magnamimous owner over the last 8 previous years or so? To the tune of may $10mill subsidy over that period of time?
Cussy.

Reply #471539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Proof is in the pudding mate. This guy in Perth obviously had a vision and it is starting to bare fruit. Good on him, ultimately he, the people and city of Perth win. Pride and a sense of belonging is something that can not be measured, along with brand recognition - and Perth has that in spades at the moment! These are the type of people we need involved in the game and he along with the rest of the very professional Perth Wildcats organization should be celebrated.
Put in a half arse efforts get back half arsed results. Probably why all the serious sporting investors avoid basketball in a city like Sydney. Based on the events of this past season, I seriously doubt that any of the Kings owners have such foresight or commitment and they definitely don't spend the money that is required to be successful.
It comes across to me as more of a hobby, a brand new shinny car to show off to their friends type thing but the novelty has well and truly worn off. What we are seeing now is the result of constantly cutting corners since the rebirth.

Reply #471559 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:05 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754