West by 20-30
Sturt by 10-15
Forestville by plenty.

Topic #34321 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Another great round.

Panthers v Flames
Women: Jess Foley is continuing her world tour of ABA clubs and has injected a spark into South. Flames too hot though.
Men: Will be tight and Panthers have sharp claws at home. Coops to pull some hair out and whew his nails in a tight one.

West v Centrals
Women: You won't win too many shooting 25% so unless KB's Angels have practiced, the Westies girls may put up less shots, but will be more accurate.
Men: West on top of the ladder and Centrals have a top 5 team in the bottom half of the ladder. Grab a chico roll and get ready for the argie bargie. If Centrals focus, they can bring the house down, if not, Westies in double figures.

Woodville v Surt
Women: Warrior women have 2 in a row, last time that happened Holdens were making cars on Port Rd. Probably won't get the hat trick with Sturt confident and Novosel in fierce form.
Men: Al Green's boys are favourite for the flag, but will they get a look in? Mahersey basically calling the subs in his first season of coaching with his a waiting list of players hoping to be coached by his next season. Sturt.

Eagles v Tigers
Women: Even a Borrego-less Eagles will be too strong. Eagles have to ration her minutes carefully.
Men: Fildes flying high for the Eagles and with the Eagles in 6th position, they look like they are about to explode like a zit on a teenager's face and make an assault on the top 5.

Rockets v Mavs
Women: No need to over-play Hill this game, give the bench a taste of the action. Can they mop the blood up in time for the men's game?
Men: Danger game for the Rockets. They were fancied at the start of the season and have not lived up to expectations coming off a 0-3 start. Mavs in a rebuilding phase with nothing to lose makes for a dangerous opponent. More dangerous than a trip to Gallipoli in 1915.

Reply #471632 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Well done Jack, cheers

Reply #471648 | Report this post

State leaguer  
Years ago

Jack foley plays for Norwood
Perhaps you mean Mahoney though?
Should be a good contest

Reply #471672 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Yes, that's who I meant! (apologies to both Jess's)

Reply #471673 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Forestville won women by 10+ but lost men by 1

Interesting night with the whistle blowers, some real interesting calls !,,,

Reply #471707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark frost was at his terrible best! Why is he worrying about what people in the crowd are saying?? Eat a bag of cement and toughen up a bit, tech foul happy, both coaches got one, I hope he got his arse kicked for that performance. He expects coaches to respect him but when both coaches asked questions they were slapped with a warning then techs!

The other ref was just plain terrible

Unfortunately a good game of basketball was ruined by those two

Tigers fought hard, forrestville more polished in the end

Reply #471718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't you get the Memo, Basketball in SA is no longer about the players, its all about protecting the refs!!!!!!! Poor things, they find it hard enough to blow the whistle so why do you think they could communicate...? Time to download clips to You tube or bSA FB with some of the ridiculous calls....

Reply #471722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whistle blowing isn't the problem, they call everything, lack of communication skills, lack of game knowledge and a lack of knowledge of the rules is the problem

Reply #471723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Frost is terrible. Should not be on CABL games. Doesn't know how to communicate with players/coaches at all and frequently makes a mess of calls.

Reply #471737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The umpiring in general has been terrible. Inconsistent from one week to the next. No wonder coaches and players are getting frustrated.

Reply #471741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hold hold hold

Reply #471749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I spoke to one ABL coach and he said the Point of Emphasis DVD last 2 weeks and now it's gone completely out the window. He's not sure what they'll get week to week and it does depend on which referees you get to how it unfolds. No consistency at all. I was at Woodville Sturt and men's game it was pretty bad. Starling got man handled as did Klaosen on some drives then in the second half a few soft hand checks started getting called. It was confusing at some points. Did effect outcome Woodville were the better side.

Reply #471755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Although it did not effect the overall result of last nights South Norwood Womens game, the umpiring at best could be described as confusing at times and inconsistent

Reply #471779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate point of emphasis as it detracts from just umpiring the game. Instead the umls are looking for the whistle to lrove they have worked on that area. How about having a mock game and then stopping plays at calls and using players to demonstrate issues as they arise. Standard teaching practice.

Reply #471782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was Frost on the women game?

Reply #471789 | Report this post

State leaguer  
Years ago

No frost didn't referee

Reply #471811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was on the forestville v tigers game

Reply #471812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ABL refs are so god damn terrible.

Reply #471896 | Report this post

State leaguer  
Years ago

There is a very good reason why the depth in umpiring in SA State league is so poor

Zero recruitment
Poor training by the wrong person
Poor management

Reply #471898 | Report this post

Who is the wrong person?

Reply #471902 | Report this post

State leaguer  
Years ago

KNG, basa have a full time referee development officer but from what I hear from coaches I'm not sure that he is suited to training referees

In years gone by there were good people involved in educating referees like John Beames & Howard Nixon in SA however they have now moved on or are not wanted

Reply #471903 | Report this post

State leaguer  
Years ago

Oh & it seems Mark did referee that game
I was confused between them because there are brothers

If your upset then Mark is by far the better out of the two so let's hope you don't get the bro (younger)

Reply #471904 | Report this post

Both are hopeless - It's the blind leading the this guy below is the PROBLEM no accountability

Mike Gibson Officiating Development Manager

Direct (08) 8345 8610
Mobile 0449 522 991

[email protected]

· Official Education
· Official Development
· Referee Education
· Referee Development
· Referee & Official Training

Reply #471926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually think overall the standard of refereeing has improved slightly this year. Of course refs are entitled to a bad game as players and coaches are. Don't judge on one week. There is still the odd cheat as well but I'll discount them when looking at the big picture. But OVERALL the level has improved. And no...I'm not a referee but I am there every week watching and you could say 'involved'.

Reply #471931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two weeks in a row isn't ok though

Reply #471942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

State leaguer, if you think Mark is the better of the two Frost boys then you haven't been watching closely enough. Mark is by far the worst. He has no feel for the game and will give a tech rather than justify a call because that's easier for him.

Reply #471954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both as bad as each other

Reply #471992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How about having a mock game and then stopping plays at calls and using players to demonstrate issues as they arise."

Refs already give players a lot of feedback and warnings when they're crossing the line. Players won't want to show up for a meaningless mock game and clubs won't want to pay refs for that service. Players and coaches should recognise that its a hard thankless and underpaid job full of grey areas.

Reply #471997 | Report this post

State leaguer  
Years ago

Yes for sure, a difficult job which most wouldn't even thinking about taking on
Overall I agree with the above anon this year has been good overall although there is still not enough good refs

mark frost is definitely in the top half despite some peoples judgement

Reply #471998 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:38 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754