Is Conn the new Dix?

Having watched the SEABL for a few years and the SA district (old school)/CABL before that, is Simon Conn the next Jason Dix. A very good player at the next level that doesn't want to, or need to (for monetary/career reasons as JD) take the next step. Having watched him from a spectator position over the last few years he is certainly NBL standard. Big guys like him are few and far between.

Topic #34327 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe he has a good job that pays better.. I know Shane
McDonald is the same.. Gets paid much more than what he would/could get playing nbl.. But no doubt both could play nbl

Reply #471725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't Shane McDonald a high school PE teacher? Barely earning huge money.

Same as Brent Hobba. Good SEABL player and also a teacher (primary).

Reply #471754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The issue for Conn would be the speed of the game. He would have to get in much better shape and even then his mobility might be an issue.

Reply #471760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teacher Salary (I'm one) is right up near the 100k mark. McDonald wouldn't get that in NBL.

Reply #471813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The average in Victoria is around $75K. Some teachers can get near $100K but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Reply #471822 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Even at 75k that is around NBL league average right? A SEABL guy who made the jump up wouldn't expect to be on league average salary...

Reply #471928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McDonald has only been a teacher for a few years I believe. At most he would get 75k.

Reply #471941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He works at a private school so hence gets paid more than average teacher. He wouldn't get 75k in nbl maybe 60 at the most

Reply #471946 | Report this post

players  
Years ago

The average NBL salary would be below $75k i'd say. some get bugger all

Reply #472022 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No mention of the fact that Conn had an NBL contract but was cut by the Dragons over a disciplinary transgression? That might've been enough to scare other teams off.

Reply #472025 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

At a guess I'd say the majority of NBL players would be somewhere in the $60-120K range, and McDonald probably wouldn't command that much first up after his previous stints.

Will be interesting to see if any of those older fringe players take a chance if four new teams come in to the comp in 2015/16.

Reply #472034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac...do you know what the "disciplinary" transgression were at Dragons?

A vague term that can cover anything from minor issues like not meeting skin folds to borderline criminal behaviour.

You would find SC's "transgressions" were very much in the minor issues column and would not frighten off any NBL coach or GM worth a dime.

An extremely solid citizen, amazing touch around the rim and always amongst the best scorers, field goal percentage at SEABL level.

I think NBL Coaches in the past, not well versed in his game have looked at what he isn't (overly athletic nor durable)....and not fully appreciated the unique skill sets he brings as a 6'9 player (elite scoring, shooting, wingspan).

Should definitely have been given a chance to play in the NBL, vastly superior talent than many in the league....but timing and health have been issues.

Reply #472044 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just implying that he at least had one chance that didn't work out. I don't think Dix ever hit the court in an NBL game?

Reply #472061 | Report this post

Onlooker  
Years ago

Most NBL devote the majority of their salary to the top 5 guys. the bench guys would average i would say 60k with prob 2 of em on 50k

Reply #472095 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:53 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754