Statman
Years ago

Clippers owner racism row

Huge story breaking at the moment in the NBA with Cliipers owner allegedly caught on tape telling his girlfriend she should not publicly associate with black people or bring them to Clippers games. Also apparently was displeased at her posting a pic if her and Maguc Johnson on her Instagram account. Much talk now about what action the NBA and players can/will take, even talk of Clipps boycotting a playoff game (have now said they will play)

Surely if this if proved a true recording Donald Sterlings tenure as an owner will be over very soon!

Topic #34328 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If true he will be exposed for a redneck racist and may also lose a girlfriend in the process.

Reply #471743 | Report this post

Duffman  
Years ago

How will CP3 and the boys react to this?

On the espn article it says that the lady who recorded it used to be mr Sterling's lover, she was sued by mrs Sterling a few years back and said that she would get revenge.
Also, sounds like mr Sterling is living the American dream. He has a wife, and girlfriends. On the recording he was telling his girlfriend he doesn't care if she sleeps with black men, just don't bring them to his basketball games.

Reply #471745 | Report this post

Duffman  
Years ago

Just listened to the whole tape on tmz. This was a set up by his girlfriend. He keeps telling her to stop and she keeps bringing up different points.
This man is a racist there is no doubt but he's being setup for sure.

Reply #471747 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Baron Davis basically said that knew about it and play above it.

NBA don't like bad PR .....perhaps we can put the hat around here and but the LA 'Hoops.com.au' Clippers?

I'll put in $100 to start.

Reply #471752 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

who's not racist? black,white brown, yellow tends to racial talk when in private. there's a difference between private and openly address conversation. if you listen to the taped conversation, the girl is simply bitching while the old man who's giving her a new life pleads her to stop publicly bragging(instagram) her association with some celebrities.
And surprising when TMZ have now sports section. they should stay with showbiz gossips and avoid messing up sports world.

Reply #471757 | Report this post

El Diablo  
Years ago

I took from it that he isn't fond of most ethnicities

But I also took from it, don't bring the guys you are having sex with (specifically black guys) to the game.

What a strange couple

Reply #471758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only in America!

Reply #471759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has been a known racist for a while now. All the players and coaches still signed with the team knowing this.

Reply #471761 | Report this post

Obama Care  
Years ago

and the chick didnt shoot him?

Reply #471764 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Anonas: you sir, are a raving idiot.

So it's ok to be racist in private, but just not in public?

Yeah, right on.

Great stuff.

Reply #471768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonas also doesn't remember the last time Sterling got in trouble for his racist BS i.e. his housing developments.

The man has form.

Reply #471771 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

yeah nothing private about his racism. This is just another example of his stupidity.

The NBA should have got rid of him a long long long long long long time ago.

Reply #471778 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

Mick, its my opinion. thanks for calling me idiot ")

Reply #471784 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

I don't think they will get rid of him; guy is a billionaire and will sue the shit out of them if they try (he has threatened the NBA with it before and they backed down). Plus the other owners won't want to set a precedent of being forced to sell their team. I reckon he will get some form of suspension, maybe a fine and some 'counselling' and then it will all be forgotten again.

Reply #471786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit of a Set up and beat up to be honest, yes he says some stupid things, in fact contradicts himself, but I didn't hear any anti black/race rants, actually he praises Magic. I think he's just an old fashioned dude in a very weird relationship..

Reply #471787 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Yes set up
Yes he is racist
But I'm leaning towards thinking he's more upset she is associating with Lakers than black people.

Reply #471791 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

'if you listen to the taped conversation, the girl is simply bitching while the old man who's giving her a new life pleads her to stop publicly bragging(instagram) her association with some celebrities.'

Um, no. He said (direct quote) 'It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you're associating with black people.' He also asks her why she has to go around 'taking pictures with minorities.' He then goes on and refers to her (a mixed race person) as 'his enemy' and opines that maybe she's stupid for not knowing why.

I don't see any other explanation for this than it being a silly old man, who has gotten himself into plenty of trouble over racism through the years, giving some outdated spiel about minorities and race. Simple.

Reply #471798 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Racism is not a good thing, but I think there's a lot to the story that we are not being told. There's no need for it, and it's dumb for a businessman to alienate a group(s) of supporters.

The tape seems to be a recording of a phone call. I think in the US now there are laws in relation to taping of private calls without permission. (That's the reason why that great show Crank Yankers had to stop!) Did she ask for his permission to tape the private phone call?

In addition, seems he is no longer seeing the GF and suddenly the tape seems to be released. Was there any form of blackmail prior to the tape being released?

The tape appears to be a setup and a PR disaster for the NBA and the owner.

Call in a good PR firm.

Reply #471799 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

A long, ingrained history of racism on so many levels against a litany of individuals and groups, with so many witnesses.

He has to be forced to sell.

Reply #471807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He won't and cant be forced to sell or get in trouble from the NBA.
Hes always been a racist and its no real secret. Pointless story being made out to be something the league as a whole wasnt aware ofj

Reply #471810 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

who's not racist? black,white brown, yellow tends to racial talk when in private.
There's a big difference between an instinctive us-vs-them reaction that comes out for some people and then speaking of it in such negative/controlling terms, or acting on it (his housing industry history). The former observes a neutral difference and is not racism. The latter implies inferiority and is.

Reply #471826 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Clippers gathered at center court ... and took off their Clippers' warm-up shirts and left them there. They then warmed up wearing inside-out red shooting shirts that did not display the Clippers name or logo. During the game, players wore black arm or wrist bands and black socks.

Reply #471828 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

He will be gone.

This has spouted such an overt unanimous reaction league wide.

If silver doesnt come down on him with everything there will be a league wide boycott.

No place in 2014 for people like that to be in public view.

Reply #471845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get rid of him. Move the clippers to seatle.

Reply #471848 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

The guy has always been a racist. All this has done is fully expose it to everyone now. Especially the younger players in the league.

The Clipper organisation has to convince him to get out now, for their own future. How are they gonna recruit FAs now? How many of the guys on this current lineup will demand a trade if he is there next season? I'm guessing quite a few.

Regardless of whether he was being "set up" or not, he has been exposed on a grander scale and deserves every bit of crap coming his way. Good on that golddigger moron for doing it to him, couldn't have happened to a more deserving douchebag.

Reply #471853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol at laws stopping private conversations being recoreded.. perfectly OK for the government to tap anyones phone yet crank yankers get the arse?!? yep only in america

Reply #471855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as one participant in the discussion is aware its being recorded its perfectly fine.

Oh, the govt example is stupid, the law enforcement agencies get special exemptions to allow them to do their jobs.

Reply #471897 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How are they gonna recruit FAs now?
Money. Might make it a bit harder, but they'd still be able to find people willing to play for them.

Reply #471900 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think because this is directly involving the NBA (Magic being called out, him telling his girl-on-the-side that she can't bring black people to "his" games) it is hitting a sorer spot then when he was discriminating against his real estate tenants.

Elgin Baylor's lawsuit was directly involving the league, but at the same time, you can't really argue that Elgin Baylor was performing at his job (which he held for 22 [!!!] years), so racial discrimination or not, you can't really argue that Baylor deserved to keep his job after prevailing over the sorriest franchise in perhaps the history of sports which made it a bit contentious.

This is cut and dry.

Everyone has come out against this troglodyte.

There are literally hundreds of stories about him being a creepy racist weirdo. It's enough. He has to go. This will define Silver's first decade as commissioner if he doesn't.

Seriously. This shit is making news in Australia. Off-the-court NBA stories NEVER make news in this country.

Most basketball fans have known this dude is a psycho for years, but now it's gone global.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/27/through-donald-sterlings-long-history-david-stern-did-nothing-adam-silver-must-act/

Reply #471922 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I also think you will see sanctions from the player's association if there isn't a swift plan to expedite the sale of the franchise once the investigation is concluded.

Reply #471923 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Seriously it is beyond unanimous. The ONLY people I have heard even remotely defending the actions of Sterling are the one or two halfwits higher up on this thread, and that's reading comment sections on pretty much every news story about his. So good work guys. But do us a favour and don't procreate. Because if you do, Donald Sterling won't rent you an apartment...

The players, coaches, other owners, GMS, media, bloggers, fans everywhere; everyone is united in taking a stand against this.

Reply #471925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big money talks........he is a racist no doubt, but there will be PLENTY of players who will turn a blind eye and play for them. People will just rationalise it in some form in their heads. Denial is a very powerful tool for many.

Reply #471927 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

If the nba forces him to sell expect a law suit or a huge pay out. He may be a piece of crap but he's broken no rules/laws and can't be held accountable.
Players will still go to the clippers, and if you think not just look into his racial issues in the nba to see if its caused him signing probles in the past. The players only care for the colour green

Reply #471940 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

This guy is a horrible owner and a horrible man. I listened to the tape and I was disgusted at what I heard. He says she can meet, be with, even fuck black people. However not putting them on Instagram or bringing them to "his" games or anywhere in public. Clippers should refuse to play, or refuse to play with a Clippers uniform on the whole game. I am absolutely horrified in this man

Reply #471948 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

BTW, I know that this is set up, it is so obvious. But if I was associated with the Clippers I would be making a much bigger stand than not wearing warm up outfits. A great series just got a whole lot more interesting.

Reply #471952 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sterling relocated the Clippers from San Diego to LA without permission. The NBA fined him $25m but he sued them for $100m and so the penalty was reduced to $6m. He will cash out whatever happens, I'm sure.

Latest news is that Magic Johnson and some business partners have offered to buy the Clippers to give the NBA and Sterling an out. Can't see how the price wouldn't be on his terms though.

Reply #471958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see Jordan take a very strong stand on this.

Reply #471959 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

Noted Mick. Your campaign against the one or two halfwits higher up on this thread.

You're right sir. The players, coaches, other owners, GMS, media, bloggers, fans everywhere; everyone is united in taking a stand against this.

I'm crying now, i made a mistake. Please forgive me Mick , your honor.. please.., sir, chief, chairman.., im so sorry

Reply #471960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would love to hear the complete tape before making up my mind.

Reply #471971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick, you are a man amongst men.

Anonas, you are an ignorant, racist, bigoted half-wit. Mick's campaign is not directed at you, it merely used you an example to illustrate the diminished mentality of some members of our society. Your perception that this is a personal attack on you simply confirms how ignorant and single-minded you are.

It's funny how you are in a very small minority and you still try and justify your racial undertone. Very encouraging that the vast majority of the hoops.com.au community sees racism for what it is.

Keep fighting the good fight ladies and gents!

Reply #472068 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

Anon or Mick, again.., im sorry. yes, you're right..it wasnt an obvious personal attack. again, thanks for name calling :)

Reply #472123 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:50 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754