Flinders80
Years ago

Returning College Players - NBL Recruits

With the signing of Corey Maynard to Cairns Taipans, it had me thinking what other players are available heading into the 2014/2015 season. The following players I believe have finished their college careers (although could be wrong or missing players).

Cameron BAIRSTOW 6'9"
Angus BRANDT 6'10"
Luke DEVLIN 6’8"
Jeromie HILL 6’8”
Matthew HODGSON 6’11"
Claybrin McMATH 6’8”
Majok MAJOK 6’9”
Corey MAYNARD 6’3” - Cairns Taipans
Chris PATTON 6’10”
Christian SALECICH 6’3”
Nathan SOBEY 6’3”
Jordan VANDENBERG 7’1”

Where will these players end up (if in the NBL). If I was Adelaide I would have gone after Maynard and let Cadee go to Sydney. I would have also showed much interest in picking up Jeromie Hill.

So will any of these players end up in the NBL and where?

Topic #34341 | Report this topic

D4444  
Years ago

I'd expect Sydney to show interest in Brandt since he trained with Cotter at NSWIS and his younger brother was a DP with them last season.

Reply #472087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great size in this group, shows what the colleges are looking for.

Reply #472090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Devlin - not good enough and doesn't want to play NBL anyway.

McMath - Not good enough

Bairstow - NBA or Europe

Hill - Had a good year college career and should get picked up by a club. Cairns kid but not sure they need a 4.

Saleich - ?

Brandt - Had a good season after injury

Reply #472091 | Report this post

AHOS  
Years ago

Not sure but think Drmic is in this group.

If he does not go to Europe, a certainty for a game in NBL.

Reply #472098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flinders, betting on Cadee being retained as back up PG. Valuable asset for a team to have in the event of injury and with the high pace Sixers like it is essential to have fresh legs. Carter moving back to Melbourne and with the 2nd team potential, betting he will get picked up. Cadee is young and will continue to develop and he has many friends in the team and Adelaide. Or Maybe not.....

Reply #472101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeromie Hill has another year of eligibity due to red-shirting a year with injury.

Hodgson is playing for Ipswich in the QBL

Salecich has another year too I think due to transfering out of St Louis & red-shirting a year

Reply #472105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok Majok would be a decent option. Averaged 11.2ppg and 10rpg his senior year.

Reply #472106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2015 NBL expansion teams in Melbourne and Tasmania will be keen to look at them!

Reply #472107 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Drmic has one more year remaining and while the NBA is probably a long shot wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in Europe

Reply #472111 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Anyone know if Jorden Page has finished rehab and whether he is playing anywhere?

Reply #472115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok should go to the gong to help them rebound

Reply #472154 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

As others have pointed out, Jeromie Hill is headed back to college as he has another year of eligibility.

Anthony Drmic has 1 more season to go as well. Injury slowed him down in the 2nd half of this past season.

I would not expect to see Bairstow in Australia any time soon. NBA or big $$$ in Europe are more likely.

Angus Brandt is reportedly getting a lot of interested from European teams. He really impressed in Oregon State's tour of Europe before his knee injured and garnered a lot of interested back then. He would suit the Euro style of play. He would be a good pickup for an NBL team IMO.

Majok Majok is an interesting case. He is a rare athletic talent. He averaged a double-double as a senior on a very poor team. He would be worth a shot in the NBL I think, but may need to prove himself in a league like SEABL first. Could Perth pick him up?

Vandenberg is likely to get a gig in Europe - that's what he wants and is chasing if not a place in the D-League.

Hodgson's college career really went nowhere unfortunately. He could be another one worth a shot in the NBL but would be borderline and may need to impress via SEABL first.

Patton is another who should slot into an NBL side quite well over the next couple of years. It would be a shame to lose him to AFL...

Sobey and Salecich are interesting cases. Sobey was a legit starter in the MWC and really stepped up in the absence of Wyoming's best player Larry Nance Jr. Salecich has potential to be a solid role player.

I cannot see Devlin or McMath getting an NBL gig through - whether that is what they want or not.

Reply #472161 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Naph - I too would love to hear any news on jorden page !!

Anyone got any info ?

Reply #472165 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Thanks for the write up LC. Very interesting, I didn't realise Hill had another year. So given that, the 2015/16 expansion year - who is likely to becoming back to Australia. Could be a good year for breakout rookie seasons.

Reply #472184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nathan Sobey has game, found this online
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlZUhq1nseE

Reply #472185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodgson not good enough. Page would be, assuming his knee got better. Anybody have info on this?

Reply #472208 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Grrr... I hate this "heading to europe" stuff with our bigs... lol... good luck to them for sure, but it's so disappointing as a fan to not be able to see them play down here if only for a season or two to get their start :(

So LC, with regards to red shirting, obviously their studies continue, what's the deal with that if they come back for a "fifth" year? Do they still do classes, or have they already graduated in most situations? Just curious as it's easy to forget that they still have to study while playing basketball sometimes, at least from this far away :)

Reply #472250 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Sobey to play SEABL.....smart move by him as if he impresses might lead to a contract....as i couldn't have seen him waling straight into an NBL gig despite he solid play.

Hodgson - Needs to play SEABL as didn't show alot

Vandenberg - D-League or Europe

I think most guys outside of the top couple (Bairstow, Vandenberg, brandt, Maynard) from this class will need to play state league/SEABL ball to prove they are worth an NBL gig.

Its a bit like Naburgs is currently doing in the SEABL as he had solid numbers at Stetson but needed to show it back home before getting an serious looks.

Reply #472281 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agreed Tiger Watcher.

Reply #472442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard to fathom Hodgson had NBA scouts giving him serious looks coming out of AIS given how his career turned out. He had good college offers and chose obscure Southern Utah only to transfer to St. Mary's where he never saw the court and was known as a bit of a head case. From NBA prospect to fringe SEABL prospect in 5 years. Few players have done less with the natural talent they were blessed with. Same boat as Ben Allen.

Reply #472558 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Bit harsh on Allen as he did very well in college at SMC, especially as a senior.

Reply #472574 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Vandenberg would battle in SEABL..

DP at best in the nbl

Reply #472799 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:16 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754