Anonymous
Years ago

Sydney Kings coach?

Do they have a coach yet? You'd think they might need one with Free Agency starting up.
Or are they content being the biggest joke in Australian sport at the moment...

Topic #34342 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damien Cotter

Reply #472118 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's hardly a secret so why does it make them a joke? They can still remain active in the free agent market.

Reply #472119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotter may decline as apparently they want him to give up the opals gig

Reply #472122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotter's no certainty. Word is there's about 7 coaches on a list they are considering - including a couple of surprising names.

In all likelihood they are offering just 1 year with a 1 year team option considering the rumor they are chasing Goorjian once he comes out of contract in China. Based off that, doubt Cotter would give up a great gig with the Opals.

Reply #472128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But multiple camps tours etc. Can u do that plus NBL?

Reply #472129 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

It's a case of damned if you don't, damned if you do with some people, Isaac... They'll get criticised for nto doing anything if they wait for a coach, and if they sign people, they'll get criticised for not waiting for the coach to select their own team...

I have to think though that NOT having a coach would hampering their chances of recruiting top talent away from established situations... What players what to trade even the devil they knew for a team that doesn't have a coach and who they might really not like?

The delay in signing a coach is getting a bit worrying actually... I know they couldn't probably approach and actively interview people before the end of their season, but it's been over 5 weeks since they chucked their last game, and they should have been on the phone the next day trying to get people in after Hammer's punk move the night before...

Reply #472136 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti's suggested that Matt Nielsen and Luc Longley are also options for the Kings coaching job.

Reply #472151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark dickel.

Reply #472156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the moment, the Sydney Kings are a joke in my eyes because they have underachieved on court for 3 straight seasons now, (yes, making the playoffs with a losing record and getting swept by the NZB in a canter is underachieving) but more so for the unprofessionalism off the court, particularly this past season.
They have developed a culture of 'celebrating mediocrity' and they seemingly have no direction or plan moving forward.
No leadership. No common sense during important decision making processes.
Since Heal's resignation there has been ample time to search and sign a coach (a good one) or at least publicly address the situation.
They should consider themselves lucky that I still care because I personally know of several other long time Kings fans that have given up on the club.

Reply #472173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you mean Richard Dickel ?

Reply #472186 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Mark Dickel was a member of the Kings early in their rebirth, got injured but could be seen giving instructions from the bench regularly... by all reports a good basketball brain and the players responded well to him (hell, compared to Moose he was probably a shining light!) and I think he coached the Albanian National Team as well at some point before coming to the Kings?

He's got more coaching experience than either Nielsen or Longley, but not enough that he'd outweigh their possible pulling power to get talent in...

That's the trade off isn't it, surely you'd hope that having either Matty or Luc on the sidelines would draw some talent in (or maybe help keep AJ?). But we've seen what having a head coach with very little or no actual experience can lead to, locking them into an assistant role would be the easiest decision ever, but head coach?

At what point do you prefer them and does their name and reputation as a player make them the preferred choice though? Cotter is apparently not really wanting to give up his national gig for only 1 season guaranteed, and most other better qualified NBL-expereinced Head Coaches like Bevo would really not be interested in this madhouse of an organisation... Do you go with a candidate who has coached at lower levels for a few seasons, or do you go with an international/NBA experienced basketball great (Nielsen voted the all-time great King and recently had his banner raised) which you'd think would draw some talent, especially bigs, maybe even help keep AJ and actually get him to develop and live up to his potential instead of fading away?

My preference would be to get an experienced HC in and have either quite happily as an assistant, but would I be displeased to see either in the spot of it meant recruiting was more successful? Probably not...

Reply #472270 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

If going for guys like Nielsen, Longley, Dickel, could you go for a combination and go for Matt Nielsen as head coach and Dickel as lead assistant, to use his basketball brain, as i also thought he lead well in his kings stint, and get the best of both worlds.

Reply #472275 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Dickle certainly showed he knew how to read the game and the players had a lot of respect for him. I heard that in one game when he was injured a few commented that he was sitting on the wrong end of the bench... not that being better than Robilliard is any kind of endorsement.

Reply #472282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Longley at Kings would surely be some kind of world record (combined height of coaches) when they play against Melbourne.

Reply #472398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings look like they are going for the long shot again hoping that one of those guys mentioned (Dickel, Nielsen, Longley) exceeds coaching expectations.
All 3 are accomplished players in the own right but are all very light on coaching experience.
I can't say that I blame the more experienced, established, accomplished, coaches (Bevo, Mccloud, Joyce, Westover) for not wanting a one year 'caretaker' contract with almost half the team already in place.
What a laughable mess!

Reply #472402 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

To be fair though, what coach has ever come into a team with a fresh slate and able to pick every single player? Bevo had a lot of Wildcats already on board when he took over, Anstey did in Melbourne, Glesson would have maybe picked one player? He had his team picked for him in the off season, so all of this "already half the team selected" whinging is a waste of time, especially since there are plenty of other things to be critical of!

Reply #472448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These coaches that you speak of probably inherited more talent and experience than the players Kings management were in such a rush to re-sign.
All 4 players probably haven't combined for 4 playoff wins. Total! Hardly a winning foundation to build from.

Reply #472473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ground breaking news out of the Kings camp today on Facebook.

They want us to try a new drink and a development player is going to the outback to coach kids.

Wow. This team is beyond a joke.

Reply #472505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re; Ground Breaking news on kings facebook page

Totally agree you..

THE KINGS ARE A JOKE!! THE OWNERS SHOULD BE EMBARRASSED!!

Reply #472514 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Maybe management were waiting on the Lakers situation and can now finally go after there real target!

Reply #472515 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What's wrong with posting any news they have on social media until there are developments on the coaching front?!

I wish the 36ers would post more rather than just signing announcements.

Reply #472542 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Because Anons want something to bitch and moan about, Isaac ;)

Don't post anything, they bitch, post regular stuff, they bitch...

I'd rather bitch about the lack of a coach :(

Reply #472563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come on guys. If that's bitching then I apologize for having high standards/expectations from a team representing the biggest city in Australia.

I don't apologize for calling it how I see it! I supported them through many thin years, so I rightfully enjoyed the 3peat and even the 2 runner up years that followed.

I supported the rebirth, expected teething problems but also expected progress. This past season was farcical.

They are struggling big time. Mainly because they have been cutting corners from day 1 of the rebirth. It's cringe worthy at times. Zero leadership.

They seem to figure that a feel good story will buy some more time or sweep existing issues (like a head coach) under the rug for the time being but people aren't idiots, I'm not the only that sees right through their amateur PR.

Ultimately, they aren't helping their brand image with fluff posts that avoid the more important issues. They regularly delete comments, fans voicing their opinion or simply asking how the coach search is going!

I'm expecting (hoping) for some great signings with all this secrecy but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Reply #472577 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

See, now that's the perfect, reasonable, unable to argue against post... Obviously a passionate Kings fan, it's just whenever posters are overreacting to general fluff pieces when there is all that to worry about, I find it frustrating and comical...

An honest question, who in your thoughts, realistically, would be a reasonable coach? Bevo isn't interested, Gorj, even if he WAS interested, is contracted in China and earning craploads more... There would be no other reputable coaches out there willing to do the job, surely?

Reply #472591 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

The no news about a coach is what is worrying me most at the moment... If things are happening behind the scenes, just give us a tiny tidbit of info or something... an update on the search, maybe something about narrowing options, hopefully name a candidate in a week or two...

Reply #472592 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

They've tried both the junior coach which no professional experience and the former great player options and the results are there for all to see. They really need a proven coach. Cotter has infinitely more experience than Robilliard had and has at least coached in a semi pro league but is that enough?

Nielsen or Longley would like be just Heal or Anstey, adequate in some areas but lacking when compared with the better coaches in the league.

Reply #472594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It really is an embarrassment. Other than this community stuff they seem obsessed with (which is fine in itself but does nothing to put bums on seats IMO) there has been zero communication from the club in the past 10 days. Nothing about potential coaching candidates, or a membership drive for next season, or even a breakdown on some of the available free agents.

The last message on their Twitter account was on the 23rd April talking about Camp Quality - another community story. Facebook is equally as bad and they haven't had a new story on the website other than about one of their development players going to the outback, who BTW played a total of ONE minute last season and who most fans wouldn't even know existed.

Phil Hudson is the chairman of the club but no one would know because you never hear from him. There's zero leadership from anyone in the front office. They desperately need someone to take up the reins, be hands-on like Mike Wrublewski was, and start driving this thing properly. Otherwise, the writing is on the wall. This club is in desperate trouble.

Reply #472597 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Not sure if there is any truth to the rumor but hearing they have sounded out a couple of SEABL level coaches whom have had long terms success.

Reply #472599 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I think we can all agree that we're not going to get a top level NBL qualified coach...

As D4squared has said, is an experienced coach at semi-pro level enough?

I guess it comes down to the individual person, but at what point does success at a much lower lever outweigh a Boomers (and AIS?) assistant coach who played for Phil Jackson with NBA experience and quite possibly the ability to draw top level talent to the team. Would we be a better chance to retain AJ if we sign Luc? Luc has been holding coaches clinics, he's experienced playing as a big man and will no doubt be able to get the most out of someone like AJ... Are they actual positives that could work in his favour?

Pretty much the biggest criticism of the Kings on court last season was they didn't get the most out of or look to AJ enough... Pretty sure Luc could do that, and from AJ's perspective, learning from someone like Luc would certainly be a huge thing as well...

Just trying to take a positive out of what could still very well be a negative...

Reply #472664 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Have no doubt there are a lot of positives re Longley but, honestly, is there anything in that rumour he is interested? Have we heard anything from the Kings atall?
Certainly can't be the money. His Missus is probably worth more than him these days.
Why would it be the challenge when a failure would really hurt his image/reputation?
Though his involvements in basketball these days was just the amount he would be wanting. And moving to Sydney?

Reply #472667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Longley moving east does seem a little far fetched. He has always seemed quite content in WA.

Another working week passes and the coaching issue hasn't been addressed - no word of possible candidates, nothing. Poor form.

As for the SEABL rumours, I would hope that ownership have more pride in the organization. Look abroad and hire a professional.

Reply #472687 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@Bowtie - probably not much in it, not sure what would be the motivation, maybe he sees it as a stepping stone? Maybe he'd prefer jumping straight into the NBL pool instead of the lower leagues? Dunno (just playing Devil's Advocate, and sort of trying to distract myself from the possibility of another coach with still no NBL experience, but less chance of drawing top name players here)

Starting to agree with anons more and more, this is getting scary... the longer this no news stuff goes on, the worse off it's going to be for the team... Can't be waiting around for ages, all the top quality players are going to be gone and we will get yet another bargain basement team, suffer poor crowds, poor results, and it will all be undone by these few weeks months before tip off...

Reply #472700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

UPDATE ON THE KINGS - NO NEWS & A DISGRACE!!!

Reply #472809 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Quit posting new threads about the Kings coaching appointment when this one already exists.

Reply #473161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meanwhile at the Sydney Kings...

NO WORD on a NEW COACH but Ben Madgen got married and we are encouraged to congratulate him on the teams FB page...

This club is nowhere.

Any rumours on a coach or players?

Reply #473163 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't get why you keep linking the coach to the social stuff they're posting. If there is no update on the coach search, should they just post nothing? Just stick to complaining about the lack of coach.

Reply #473164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotter and McLeod short favorites.

Reply #473167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't be Cotter. Will be another name mentioned in this thread. Announcement likely end of the week.

Reply #473172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MN.

Reply #473179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Jackson.

Reply #473207 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Won't be Cotter. Will be another name mentioned in this thread. Announcement likely end of the week.

It's anon statements like this that make the waiting even worse, I think...

I'm still wondering what the delay is with most teams re-signing existing/signing new players, maybe it's the loyalty points thing that still needs ironing out? There's usually at least a rush of re-signings soon after the FA period opens up...

I guess that's one thing working in the Kings favour, but they still need to pull their finger out...

Reply #473389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regardless of if the coaching rumours/predictions came from an anonymous poster or a poster who uses his or hers full name is irrelevant. They care enough to post which is a good thing from a Kings perspective.

I still can't believe that there hasn't been any info from the Kings regarding the vacant coaching position.

Reply #473401 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I think it's completely relevant... The amount of BS posted from anons is a LOT higher than from non-anons... Being anon allows some freedom in posting actual facts that aren't supposed to be released yet, but those are actually few and far between...

Anons posting anything about the Kings doesn't mean anything in relation to being good for the team or not, a lot of people on here post things completely unrelated to their team loyalties...

Each day that the coach isn't signed, is another day that teams have to negotiate with their top level free agents to re-sign them. There isn't enough talent OS that would consider coming back to the NBL that they can afford to not go after existing top NBL talent...

Reply #473440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookie is such a real name.

Reply #473500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For all the BS posts by anons there are several relevant anon posts.

The Kings seem to have fallen asleep behind the wheel OR they are planning great things behind the scenes. This past season doesn't give me much confidence that GREAT things are developing behind closed doors. I wouldn't be surprised if their problems run deeper than finding a coach. You would think that the head coaching position at the Sydney Kings would be a desirable place for coaches to ply their trade, apparently not.

Is ownership solid? Perhaps they realize that they are in over their heads and are sick of dipping into their pockets. The Kings look like dead money so I hope they are very passionate! The writing is on the wall in my opinion - another poor season or 2 and I don't see how they can sustain because they cut so many corners, their major sponsor is a budget Vegimite!

It would be great to get some sort of reassurance or for somebody within the club or if someone could step up and demonstrate some sort of public leadership.

Reply #473506 | Report this post

Pookiee  
Years ago

I agree Wookiee!!

Reply #473521 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Wookie is such a real name

No, it's spelled wrong...

@reasonable-sounding-anon: if you've read any posts previously about Kings management, you'll discover that the core part of the problem is that the team is a mess behind the scenes... Owners wanting to play Fantasy NBL, not taking it seriously, management a complete shambles after any sort of leadership has long since gone... It's hard to fix any of the other problems when the key problem is at the root of the situation...

Reply #473540 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For the anon vs alias approach, it's no hard rule, but someone picking an alias and sticking with it generally has a slight reputation they're trying to uphold and will tend to post better material.

Reply #473581 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

That, or they could just be a prick and welcome the negative attention ;)

Either way, it's the end of the week and there's still been no announcement or even a snifter of anything from the Kings...

I try to remain positive, but each day, week, goes by and I get less and less so...

Reply #473625 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think the Hawks have a coach ethnically signed or any players at all, do they?

Reply #473640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ethnically signed?

Reply #473686 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hah. Technically. Thanks autocorrect!

Reply #473697 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Pretty sure you can't get much whiter than Gordie? ;)

I thought last season that Rhys Martin had an option for this season and that Tyson was signed for 2 seasons...

Reply #473701 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wookiee, and the Hawks could've saved points (I believe) by putting that Martin option on paper before free agency, but with no approved budget or GM, there was no one to put contracts to players AFAIK.

Some people underestimate the challenges facing some of the weaker clubs season to season.

Reply #473706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone getting paid on a week to week basis as well doesn't enable them to contract anyone again I would have thought.

Reply #473708 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, the Hawks certainly have their challenges, not to mention probably still question marks about their major sponsor?

They're quite lucky that they have a fairly loyal player and coaching staff, although leaving it too long I think would even stretch those friendships, surely?

Not that I would mind TERRIBLY if Gordie needed a job...

Reply #473715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still no news. Astounding.

You wonder if the Sydney coaching job itself is so toxic (what with the ownership meddling, the lack of front office leadership and the frightening lack of resources put into the club) that it's just a simple case where no decent coach in his right mind would want to take the role on?

This already has the smell of their first season back when they left everything so late with putting the team together that they were left with the dregs of free agency. There were a few players on that team who had no business being anywhere near an NBL roster but that's all they could get at the time.

It's definitely a worrying situation without anything coming from the club.

Reply #473981 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Anyone know how much input/time/calendar activity that Cotter actually would be using into the NBL season/preseason if he kept his Opals' job?
Whilst it's not the best for an NBL head coach to have extra activities, is it as bad as everyone is guessing?
We haven't seen any time sheet figures yet.

Reply #473997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think it would be that bad but word is they wanted him to give it up.

More hope of cotter getting the flames gig now I'd say

Reply #474000 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Then it sounds like the Kings are being pretty unreasonable considering their Head Coaching job is a long, long way from being number one on the list for out of work coaches.
Anyone thrown in Adam Caporn yet?

Reply #474007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Caporn just secured a great safe gig in Canberra qt tge COE doubt he would be that silly.

Reply #474009 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Might be very tempting tho.
NBL could sure use some new blood.
What exactly is Adam aiming for?

Reply #474024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings shot themselves in the foot by publicly suggesting that they are on the look out for a 'caretaker coach'.
You are only going to get a professional coach for very good coin for a season under these circumstances, even then it may be difficult.
Cotter seems to have other options.
Caporn has taken up a gov't job, doubt that he would give that up for a season.
Every other good coach with NBL experience seems to have enough sense to not work for an organization so mismanaged.

Reply #474027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can they afford $400K for Goorj in one more season?

Reply #474040 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

The only club who can afford Goorjian is the Wildcats and I don't see them changing their financial style and paying out $400k on a coach.
Does BG have other links to Sydney like a house or family etc cause I can't see him back as a King purely due to the salary he will receive?

Reply #474091 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Anon #3981: nail right on the head... I know not a lot of other stuff has been happening with NBL (re-)signings, etc, but as I keep saying, leave it much longer and there's going to be no decent NBL FA players left, and if you choose the wrong (possibly no-name) coach, you're not going to be able to attract anyone good either local or from OS...

I just wish Boti's rumour of Longley applying was true and they should just give him the gig, but the key factors working against the Kings (ownership meddling, very public drunken owner fight with Heal, poor front office) might still have had him requesting certain terms that they might (unreasonably) baulk at...

Did anyone else notice that the non-NBL summer league thing that is still going ahead (http://www.wsminvitational.com/2014-rosters/) has Dmac and Liam Flynn as fill in coaches for the Kings and Wildcats? I guess just fill-ins for this thing, but still, would have been tempting to like what Dmac could bring...

Reply #474111 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:34 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754